my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Anyone get any new CDs recently? (Page 133)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Author Topic: Anyone get any new CDs recently?
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 24, 2011 08:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it's nice to read about other people spending their money on things they regret after playing them.... makes me feel a lot better

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 26, 2011 19:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PEARL JAM - 20 dvd ( i couldn't help already watching this the other day when they aired this on PBS. Of course they censored the little bit of foul language; but it was definitely the best documentary of band I've seen. Cameron Crowe did a stupendous job on this project, and I can't wait to watch it again, and all the extras that will be included on the blu ray version I still have coming from the 10 Club)

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 28, 2011 20:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lindsay Buckingham - Law & Order ( i think this completes the catalog of his releases for my collection. he has some sorta cheesey tunes but overall there's a lot of great stuff, and the guitar playing is awesome)

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 29, 2011 21:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was like Xmas time in my mailbox today:
King Crimson - Discipline (40th Anniversary Series remixed, remastered with 5.1 dvd and lots of extras)

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black (40th Anniversary Series remixed, remastered with 5.1 dvd and lots of extras)

Symphony X - Iconoclast (2 cd special edition. I've never gotten into this band before but a friends suggested this album a while ago when it came out and I finally got around to adding to an Amazon order to get enough for free shipping)

The Bridge School Concert 25 Anniversary Edition - 2 cds (lots of great artists on this and proceeds go to the school)

The Bridge School Concert 25 Anniversary Edition - 3 dvd set (see above description + this has what should be a great documentary of the school and behind the scenes of the bands with the kids)

The Elves: featuring Ronnie James Dio - And Before Elf... There Were Elves (really looking forward to hearing these RJD recordings. Ninja Entertainment has posted lots of early youtube recording linked on Facebook and it's just amazing everything Dio did before he became the Voice of Metal . I love the ELF albums so, this should be a real treat)

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 29, 2011 23:19     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
The Elves: featuring Ronnie James Dio - And Before Elf... There Were Elves (really looking forward to hearing these RJD recordings. Ninja Entertainment has posted lots of early youtube recording linked on Facebook and it's just amazing everything Dio did before he became the Voice of Metal . I love the ELF albums so, this should be a real treat)

I need to get this! A while back I stumbled upon a site that had tons of old Elf, Elves, Electric Elves, and even earlier recordings featuring RJD. They were all pretty great, so can't wait to pick up the official deal here...
EDIT - That site still lives, but the downloads appear to be broken, unfortunatly.
Padavona.com - Ronnie Dio's Early Years

Those King Crimson reissues are mandatory! Though one of my favs, I've always thought the produciton on Starless And Bible Black was painfully this. Great to hear this largely remedied. Only downloaded, haven't bought this yet, but I will... eventually, buy all these 40th Anniversary KC reissues. Just hard to keep re-buying these... 1987, 1989 remasters, 30th anniverary editions were nice, now these awesome 40th anniversary editions... not like KC only released a handful of albums, so this is seriously going to impact my wallet.

Only two aquisitions as of late...
- The Tea Party: TRIPtych
- Uriah Heep: Look At Yourself [1996 reissue]

I don't know what the consensus around here is about Uriah Heep, but their early albums are definitly a guilty pleasure for me. Shit just rocks!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 30, 2011 17:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had a chance to listen to a couple surround mixes on the Starless & Bible Black dvd last night and it sounds amazing. Steven Wilson is a 5.1 mix God!!! He really does a wonderful job separating the sounds from all the albums he's remixed and I'm so glad he's the one doing the KC catalog. I also watched the 2 videos they had of the band playing live... worth it just to watch Fripp, Bruford, Wetton, & Cross perform and improv... killer.

The Elves cd is a must have for any Dio fan, especially those who enjoy his early years and Elf releases (that's me). I was totally impressed with the quality of these recordings. I wasn't expecting something this good!!!

Gotta check out that site you linked to.... thanks!

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 31, 2011 20:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
X-D, I totally agree with you regarding all the reissues of every King Crimson album. It's been done over & over again so many times it's insane; however, these 40th Anniversary Series are just too fuckin' amazing to pass up. I'm done buying their back catalog after this... I already have way too many different versions of every release.

Today's mail:
Puscifer - Conditions of My Parole

Pearl Jam - 20 (3 disc blu ray box set with a shit load of extras that are only available in this collection through the 10 Club... incredible)

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 04, 2011 18:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Queensryche - Sign of the Times: The Best of (2 cd set with lots of cool demos, and unreleased tunes on disc 2)

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 06, 2011 08:58     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey XD,

Just discovered this band from Seattle and was wondering if you'd ever heard them...I think they're fantastic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rx8EgxHzz4

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 07, 2011 16:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another early Xmas in the mailbox today. I have so much stuff on order now, it's almost ridiculous... almost

MEGADETH - TH1RT3EN (listening to it now... fuckin' brutal!!! classic Megadeth)

YES - 9012 Live The Solos (remastered & extended)

SOULBENDER - Soulbender (Michael Wilton from Queensryche band)

PUSCIFER - Conditions of My Parole (replacement from Amazon for my fucked up one I originally received... cool album, more in the vein of A Perfect Circle than the debut Puscifer... which works for me)

STEVEN WILSON - Grace For Drowning (I thought this buy it now Ebay auction was for the "book" version release, but I got the standard jewel case instead... kinda pissed, but it was cheap anyway)

DREAM THEATER - Score 20the Anniversary World Tour (not sure why I never had this already, I got the dvd when it came out... oh well, better late than never)

TONY IOMMI - Iron man (auto biography book - Looking forward to reading this one)

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 09, 2011 13:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MASTODON- The Hunter

Very impressed with this on the first listen.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 10, 2011 01:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last week I was watching the Dream Theater "live at Budakan" dvd while I was on the treadmill, and it was fantastic. I hadn't watched in a long time, and of course something "clicked" that made me "need" more Dream Theater so I headed over to their Ytsejam Label site to pick up some more cool releases from their "Covers Series" where they perform entire albums live by different bands.
Dream Theater - Dark Side of the Moon cd
Dream Theater - dark Side of the Moon dvd
Dream Theater - The Number of the Beast
Dream Theater - Made in Japan (Deep Purple album)
Dream Theater - Uncovered 2003-2005 (covering songs from The Who, Kansas, Ozzy, Queen, Black Sabbath (Dio era), Led Zep, Journey, Pantera, & Yes

also received:
Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age of the Wireless (remastered with a live dvd)

Thomas Dolby - The Singular (cd/dvd of his videos)

Yes, i totally dig Thomas Dolby... fuckin brilliant.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 10, 2011 17:21     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The addiction keeps getting it's FIX:
RUSH - Time machine cd
TESTAMENT - Live at Eindhoven '87
PINK FLOYD - The Best of: A Foot in the Door
CORROSION OF CONFORMITY - YOur Tomorrow (parts 1 & 2) 7 inch vinyl - I know if I didn't buy this I would eventually be kicking myself for not having it, once it sold out and became hard to find.I miss Pepper in the band and the groove he adds, but this will do until he comes to his senses and rejoins.

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 13, 2011 19:12     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Hey XD,

Just discovered this band from Seattle and was wondering if you'd ever heard them...I think they're fantastic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rx8EgxHzz4

Dennis Rea sounds familiar to me but never heard of Moraine before. Thanks for the tip Lee, will be looking into these guys for sure! Sounds pretty good.

Spent the better part of the morning at a record show here in Seattle. Never know what you will find at these, but came home with the following LPs and CDs.

Vinyl
- Randy California: Kapt. Kopter & The (Fabulous) Twirly Birds
- Candlemass: Nightfall
- Candlemass: Ancient Dreams
- Sacred Reich: Surf Nicaragua
- Trouble: The Skull
- Trouble: Run To The Light

Compact Disc
- Brainticket: Adventure
- Candlemass: Live
- Cream: Disraeli Gears [remaster]
- Death Angel: Fall From Grace
- Forbidden: Twisted Into Form
- Far East Family Band: Nipponjin
- Yuya Uchida & The Flowers: Challenge! [pre-Flower Travellin' Band]
- Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother [2011 remaster]
- Sunn O))): Oracle
- Unholy: The Second Ring Of Power [new reissue w/DVD]

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 13, 2011 22:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
More drugs for my addiction:
PINK FLOYD - Wish You Were Here (Immersion Box Set... nice! especially the rare and unreleased audio and video material. Can't wait to crank up the 5.1 mix!!!)

Thomas Dolby - A Map of the Floating City (interesting new material, although it doesn't have funk & punch of "Aliens Ate My Buick" there's still some cool grooves on it)

Thomas Dolby - The Sole Inhabitant (deluxe edition with cd & dvd of his one man live show)

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 14, 2011 16:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TENSION - Epitaph: 25th Anniversary Edition (finally re-released & remastered. Includes their "Breaking Point" album, the "Epitome" ep, and 3 unreleased live tunes.) Look 'em up on facebook.com/tensionMDmetal if you want a copy. Classic old school underground thrash. This Maryland band was formerly known as DEUCE and had a guitarist by the name of Marty Friedman tearing it up before he moved to Hawaii.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 18, 2011 18:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DOMINICI - 0 3 A Trilogy part 2 (I've always enjoyed Charlie's voice on the first Dream Theater album, so I finally got around to ordering some of his solo releases and this trilogy seemed pretty cool from the samples I heard)

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 19, 2011 13:50     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
DOMINICI - 0 3 A Trilogy part 2 (I've always enjoyed Charlie's voice on the first Dream Theater album, so I finally got around to ordering some of his solo releases and this trilogy seemed pretty cool from the samples I heard)

Heey Schoeder,

stop buying cd's for a month or two and come to The Roadburn festival in Holland...

I'd love to meet you..

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 19, 2011 23:38     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It would be fun to be at Roadburn with all you great people but my work schedule wouldn't allow it and my addiction to buying cds is obviously one I can not shake, especially after my Amazon "fix" last night where I picked up the rest of the Black Sabbath "Deluxe Edition" rteleases that I didn't have already but "needed".

Today's mail:
YES - Keys To Ascension (4 cd & 1 dvd set)

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 21, 2011 20:31     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As somone who also has not an ice cube's chance in hell of going to Roadburn, I might as well take in some of the only guilty pleasures a Dad of 2 small kids can have... more music!

- Brainticket: The Vintage Anthology 1971-1980 [4 disc box set of LSD drenched freakout music and experimentation]
- UFO: No Heavy Petting [expanded remaster]

With these Brainticket releases being kind of hard to come by, it was nice to swoop up all the early releases in one pass. Crazy shit, for certain.

Received notification that my CD & vinyl copies of To The Death '84 have shipped! Cannot wait to check these out!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 23, 2011 17:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Black Sabbath - Paranoid deluxe 3 disc edition

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 23, 2011 18:53     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, unless I win the lotto I'm about in the same category as you Mike. Here's what I just picked up:

SCREAMING TREES- Sweet Oblivion
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS- What Hits
THE POLICE- Live (2 disc)

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 23, 2011 19:50     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
- Uriah Heep: Look At Yourself [1996 reissue]

I don't know what the consensus around here is about Uriah Heep, but their early albums are definitly a guilty pleasure for me. Shit just rocks!

I'm married to a Heephead, for which I am grateful - without her I'd probably never have bothered to find out more about the band. The old stuff is great, and the latest two new albums aren't too shabby either. And they still kick arse live!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 24, 2011 14:35     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Black Sabbath - Paranoid deluxe 3 disc edition

Yo Schroed, I bought those deluxe Sab CD's a couple years ago, the liner notes are very awesome aside from the little extras given on disc! I'm still left sitting here wondering why the hell they haven't released the rest of the catalog, I.E. Vol 4, Sab Bloody Sab, etc etc?

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 24, 2011 20:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:
Yo Schroed, I bought those deluxe Sab CD's a couple years ago, the liner notes are very awesome aside from the little extras given on disc! I'm still left sitting here wondering why the hell they haven't released the rest of the catalog, I.E. Vol 4, Sab Bloody Sab, etc etc?

I was wondering about those releases also, they're classics. I couldn't justify spending the money a few years ago when they started coming out (other than Born Again & Eternal Idol, which I HAD to have) but I've found some killer deals on Amazon that i couldn't pass up so I just ordered all the other ones I didn't have.

Just listened to the PARANOID deluxe today while at work and it sounds AMAZING, even on a shitty boom box. The instrumental cd was interesting to hear, and I'm dying to hear the surround mix when I get the time to just sit in my living room and chill out and crank it up. They came out with some nice extras for these that make them intriguing and worth picking up. Besides, you really can't have too many different versions each album from the Black Sabbath catalog... can you?

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan