my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Anyone get any new CDs recently? (Page 13)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Author Topic: Anyone get any new CDs recently?
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 18, 2002 21:46     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, I have not heard that one, because people are always bad-mouthing these "Beat the Boots" discs.
I read a review on this, and I think I may buy it regardless...
wait, here is the review:
http://home.epix.net/~eichler/reviews/zappa/piquanti.htm

I think my favorite Zappa disc is gonna be the Best of that I am putting together.
There are so many great tracks, it is hard to choose just one release.

I really like selected tracks from "Man From Utopia" and "...Drowning Witch".
There is just so much. "Joe's Garage" is another.

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 19, 2002 05:57     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento, BUY THIS ALBUM. The sound quality is not that bad actually. I mean it sounds like it was recorded on a freezing cold day out in a outdoor arena in Sweden, which it was! But what kills me about this album is the band. They fucking rock!!! Zappa never had a better group!! I don't give a shit what anybody says. What I also like about it is that idiot singer Napoleon is NOT with the group for this concert. Instead of him, they add the brilliant Jean-Luc Ponty who solos his ass off on this record. The compositions are also some of my fav just because their extremely interesting to listen to, challenging in a sense but also very entertaining.
But one of the best things about the album is that the few times on it when Frank speaks he's funny as shit! The best quips I've ever heard him make on record.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 19, 2002 08:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just picked up (or received in the mail):
KANSAS - DEVICE VOICE DRUM Excellent 2 cd live show that shows the band still has the energy and riffs they did back in the 70's. Great set list and performance. Kansas was one of the first rock bands I got into and have always been a fan

21ST CENTURY SCHIZOID BAND - OFFICIAL BOOTLEG VOLUME 1 since they may never perform on this side of the pond and since I'm a huge KC fan this was a 'no-brainer'. 7 tracks of classic Crimson. I'm just getting ready to spin it but if it's as good as H said they were live than I know I'll love it.
You can buy it from www.burningshed.com which is a great place to find music at great prices. These are bands that release a very limited supply of discs, no major lables, just good musicians doing what they love.

PEARL JAM - RIOT ACT I've been a PJ fan from day one and Vedder is hands down one of (if not the) best singer lyricist that has been in music. I had an advance copy of this cd a month ago but it's always better with the official packaging. The more I listen the more I like it. They played two consecutive nights on LETTERMAN and were definitley 'on their game'. Can't wait to see 'em live again.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 19, 2002 08:22     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last Saturday I got an interesting thing: a DVD of Motorhead's Birthday Party. Apparently it was released only here in Brazil, via some magazine editor.

It's the ten-year aniversary, and "No Class", with Wendy O. Williams' tits almost jumpin' out her bra is alone priceless. Not to mention the final with ALL MH members, up to that date ('85) jammin' Motorhead (the song) on stage, joined by Phil Lynott.

Best of all, it came out for some 5 US bucks.

Heh. How lucky us Brazilians are...

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 19, 2002 09:02     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Just picked up (or received in the mail):
KANSAS - DEVICE VOICE DRUM Excellent 2 cd live show that shows the band still has the energy and riffs they did back in the 70's. Great set list and performance. Kansas was one of the first rock bands I got into and have always been a fan

Hell yeah.
Do they play 'Magnum Opus' on there?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 20, 2002 06:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DISC 1:
1. Intro
2. Belexes
3. Icarus II
4. Icarus
5. Song For America
6. Howlin' At The Moon
7. Wall, The
8. Preacher, The
9. Journey From MariaBronn
10. Dust In The Wind
11. Cheyenne Anthem
12. Child Of Innocence

DISC 2:
1. Miracles Out Of Nowhere
2. Point Of Know Return
3. Portrait / Pinnacle
4. Fight Fire With Fire
5. Play The Game Tonight
6. Carry On Wayward Son

Plus cd 2 is enhanced with a live version of a new song "Distant Vision"
The dvd has all the same track plus lots of extras.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 21, 2002 09:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to the most excellent Schroeder these beauties just arrived yesterday:

Porcupine Tree - Sampler - OMFG! These guys are amazing! I love it! I must get more of their stuff!

Tomahawk - Live in Paris - This is great. Decent sound quality too. Mike Patton rules.

Faith No More - Live in Rotterdam - This has just blown away every live boot I own. Great sound, great set list (although I am surprised it's mostly KFAD and AOTY) and did I ever mention that Mike Patton rules?

Schroeder, you rock! How do ya like those Priest shows?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 25, 2002 06:15     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just grabbed the new Porcupine Tree cd. Much better than the compilation I picked up a while ago. Really like the track "The Creator has a Mastertape". Good shit.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 25, 2002 09:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Just grabbed the new Porcupine Tree cd. Much better than the compilation I picked up a while ago. Really like the track "The Creator has a Mastertape". Good shit.

THAT SONG 'BLEW MY MIND' THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT...AND STILL DOES.
I still can't stop listening to the cd...it's got everything I love about music on it. HEAVY-EMOTIONAL-GROOVES-ROCKS-ATMOSPHERIC-INSANITY-MELLOW A total rollercoaster ride from start to finish.

Glad I could hook ya up with some cool stuff NUC.

"Schroeder, you rock! How do ya like those Priest shows? "
Did you think I WOULDN'T like them!!!

It's PRIEST for Christ sake!!! thanks

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 25, 2002 15:03     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Thanks to the most excellent Schroeder these beauties just arrived yesterday:

Faith No More - Live in Rotterdam - This has just blown away every live boot I own. Great sound, great set list (although I am surprised it's mostly KFAD and AOTY) and did I ever mention that Mike Patton rules?

Hey, I want one!
Schroeder, I don't have much to trade, but I do have a good Mr. Bungle boot and some other assorted rarities.
I love those 2 FNM albums, and have always wanted a good live show.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 25, 2002 17:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, I'm a lucky bastard who knows cool people. Check out the bands Serpent sent me today:

Acid Death
Alchemist
Children Of Bodom
Gordian Knot
NonExist
Sadist
Sceptic
Theory in Practice
Symbiosis
Ted Nugent(VCD)
Entombed-the mighty LEFT HAND PATH

Death Angel-Frolic
DRI-Four of a Kind
(these two are gonna be a trip down memory lane-hadn't listened to either one in like 8 or 9 years)

Hell yeah, I was starving for new music and the Snakeman saved me.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 26, 2002 08:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ARRIVING IN THE SCHROEDER MAILBOX YESTERDAY:
Tori Amos: Scarlet's Walk (ltd ed with dvd)

Audioslave: Audioslave (Cornell/RATM+cool music)

Sinch: Sich (great metal band I heard samples on Columbia House and like it a lot, but now that I've heard the complete cd, I really like it a lot)

YES: Live From The House Of Blues (I've had the dvd for a while now, so this was a no brainer)

Faith No More: A Small Victory *remixed by youth*(4 remixes cd import single, won off Ebay for $5...just to add to my FNM collection)

Wating for Columbia House to send me DIO: Killing the Dragon

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 27, 2002 05:37     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got Bjork's new compilation album and (at last) King Crimson's Happy with what you have to be happy with. Blasting this now. Sounds great so far. The title track rules. Looking forward to another excellent album from them next year.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 27, 2002 05:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
King Crimson's Happy with what you have to be happy with. Blasting this now. Sounds great so far. The title track rules. Looking forward to another excellent album from them next year.

ME TOO ...I LOVE THIS EP
I just received some more live Porcupine Tree shows, Black Sabbath June 3 1998 in Budapest, Pink Floyd 'The Final Cut' demos, RPWL April 30 2002 the Netherlands...I LOVE TRADING... LOTS TO LISTEN TO AT WORK TODAY!!!!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 28, 2002 02:31     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well it's not a CD, and it isn't even new, but here's the story:
I've been bugging the hell out of a friend of mine for the past two years to sell/trade/give me one of two autographed records she possesses, only to be given a sneer and a "Hell no!" as an answer. I was serious at first but as time went on I would just bring it up to screw with her and piss her off (good friends can do those kinds of things). I sort of finally gave up as it was getting old, when one day she says she needs this huge favor and she nonchallantly says "I'll even give you that record you keep having wet dreams about". Well for a second my dumbass was going to say "No, that's ok, blah blah blah..." but I really said "Well, sure, I'll help you out sweety." Remember she had two anyways so she'll live.
To make a long story even longer, I now own an AUTOGRAPHED Iron Maiden 'Maiden Japan' album from '82 (Harris, Smith, Burr, Murray, Dickenson). Steve Harris even signed for "The Beast"! The funny thing is that this was signed at a Number of the Beast promotion, and Bruce Dickenson's auto is on it. Funny being that he isn't even on the record.
I'm STOKED!!!!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 28, 2002 08:23     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not much of a Maiden fan but that's pretty damn cool.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 29, 2002 16:19     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just came back from a wee shopping spree and here's what I picked up:

Opeth - Deliverance I had it from Wimx already but of course I wanted the real one. Incredible album. One of the best of 2002 for sure.

Got these babies used:

Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - Sport Fishin' (The Lure Of The Bait, The Luck Of The Hook) Great CD of instrumental surf/twang kinda stuff. These are the guys who do the Kids In The Hall music. Saw them live in '92 or '93. If you're a fan of Man Or Astroman? or Huevos Rancheros, you'll dig this.

Deicide - Legion I don't know about this one. A guy on the Maiden BB recommended it. I haven't heard it since it came out, so maybe a few more listenings are in order to get into it. Prety boring so far.

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell What can I say? Fan-fucking-tastic. Dio really is God.

Pennywise - Unknown Road One of my fave punk bands. I used to have the tape but I have no idea what happened to it. This is their best album imho.

Tool - Undertow I love this album. I can now put the cassette to rest and cranl the CD in my car whenever I want!

Tomorrow I may pick up:

Immolation - Unholy Cult
&
Kataklysm - Shadows And Dust

if I can find them anywhere! None of the HMV's got 'em, so I'll try the A&B Sound stores next.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 29, 2002 19:35     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Deicide albums suck. They are a very entertaining live band though.

Just got: the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album. Sounds cool so far.

Also:
-Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer
-High On Fire - Surrounded By Thieves (finally! already had the first one, downloaded some trx from this one, it's great)

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 29, 2002 20:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anybody want to hear GOOD progressive death metal?

Buy Acid Death's Random's Manifest. Its not super prog but as far as the death genre its got more time changes than you can shake a stick at. The musicians know what the hell is going on. The singer growls but it sounds like he's actually emitting words and not just mumbling like most. Guitar lines are interesting. Great rhythm section too which I love. I think they're from Greece and now defunct. But I believe their website is still up. Seems like I saw it on BNR. One of the best albums I've heard in quite some time.

Any Arch Enemy fans out there? Well, fucking toss your AE shit in the trash can. Go out and get Follow the Reaper by
Children of Bodom. This guy's voice is insanely good. Sounds like he should be in some black metal act but its power metal folks. Nice use of keyboards but not like overkill of the keys which I hate. The guitar players are doing those stock eighties lines to a tee but it really sounds decent. Very tight band. Holy shit, they're tight. Give it up Angela! Quit AE and become this band's groupie.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 29, 2002 22:57     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL! I love Arch Enemy AND Chldren Of Bodom. I have all 3 of their studio albums. I would hesitate to call them Power Metal though. Might scare some folks away! There's a bit of Thrash and Death going on there too. Heavy as hell. The new one is due out Jan. 1st or something.
The song titles are ridiculous:
01. Needled 24/7 (4:08)
02. Sixpounder (3:24)
03. Chokehold (Cocked 'n Loaded') (4:12)
04. Bodom Beach Terror (4:35)
05. Angels Don't Kill (5:13)
06. Triple Corpse Hammerblow (4:07)
07. You're Better Off Dead (4:01)
08. Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood (3:25)
09. Hate Crew Deathroll (3:33)
Crappy titles, but it will kick ass that's for sure.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 30, 2002 03:39     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
[QB]Just came back from a wee shopping spree and here's what I picked up:

Opeth - Deliverance I had it from Wimx already but of course I wanted the real one. Incredible album. One of the best of 2002 for sure.

Got these babies used:

Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - Sport Fishin' (The Lure Of The Bait, The Luck Of The Hook) Great CD of instrumental surf/twang kinda stuff. These are the guys who do the Kids In The Hall music. Saw them live in '92 or '93. If you're a fan of Man Or Astroman? or Huevos Rancheros, you'll dig this.
-----------------------------
END QUOTE
-----------------------------

I love the Kids in the Hall! I know every damn sketch by heart, have all but two on video, but they are taped from Comedy Central and therefor censored.
Shadowy Men are pretty spacy, groovy shit. Too bad the bass player died of cancer a few years back, his bassline at the beginning of the show's intro is quintessential (haha I never thought I'd use that word) and is always what I hear in my head when I think of the show. They were even in a few sketches in the early years, "Premise Beach" I think.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 30, 2002 09:33     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
LOL! I love Arch Enemy AND Chldren Of Bodom. I have all 3 of their studio albums. I would hesitate to call them Power Metal though. Might scare some folks away! There's a bit of Thrash and Death going on there too. Heavy as hell. The new one is due out Jan. 1st or something.
The song titles are ridiculous:
01. Needled 24/7 (4:08)
02. Sixpounder (3:24)
03. Chokehold (Cocked 'n Loaded') (4:12)
04. Bodom Beach Terror (4:35)
05. Angels Don't Kill (5:13)
06. Triple Corpse Hammerblow (4:07)
07. You're Better Off Dead (4:01)
08. Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood (3:25)
09. Hate Crew Deathroll (3:33)
Crappy titles, but it will kick ass that's for sure.

No way man, I like those titles. They've got to be something of a joke. Lil'Bloodred Riding Hood and Bodom Beach Terror. I mean c'mon...Can't be serious there.
Yeah, you mention the elements of thrash in their music which is true. Its funny cause a lot of these newer metal bands are finding success by combining power and thrash metal. Like you've got those classic melodic guitar lines with a real nasty growler doing his/her thing over the top. Even on that acid death album there are elements of this "classic eighties" sound.

The other band I'm really into now is Alchemist. I can't think of another metal band doing anything this unique(except for maybe Isis?). Is it true they've never toured outside of Australia? I find that hard to believe.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 30, 2002 23:42     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's the cover of Hate Crew Deathroll for ya:
http://cob.m78.com/discography/images/hcd_sf.jpg

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 01, 2002 00:08     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool deal buddy! Thanks for that. I love that art. I printed out FOLLOW THE REAPER and I've got it pasted to the side of my hard drive.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 01, 2002 18:08     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just downloaded this one and will buy it the very first fucking day it's out (Jan 15th):

AMON AMARTH - VERSUS THE WORLD

I got the "Viking Edition" off Winmx. It's a 2 CD set, with CD 2 being their first demos. I've been into these guys since The Avenger, and they fuggin' ROCK!! They've really developed their songwriting on this one. Great catchy riffs but still heavy as hell. This would be in my top ten for 2002, but it ain't out in North America yet.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan