my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Anyone get any new CDs recently? (Page 41)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Author Topic: Anyone get any new CDs recently?
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted January 22, 2004 13:22     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally dig Cube, but never did like the Disposable Heroes.... stuff. But I do dig Charlie Hunter who started out playing guitar/bass for Disposable Heroes. He's an awesome jazz player if anyone's interested. He plays an 8 string instrument (3 bass strings + 5 guitar strings) and plays both melodies simultaneously. He's an amazing player. Even more amazing to see in person. But like I alluded to before, he plays a more funky bebop style of jazz. But really good stuff. If any of you are jazz enthusiasts, check him out.
 |  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 22, 2004 19:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
today's mailbox goodies:
JOE SATRIANI - 'Additional Creations' mega rare promo 4 track cd that has the unreleased 'Turkey Man'. This was suppose to have been given away in a limited supply when 'Engines Of Creation' was released, but I never got one with my copy and I bought it on realease day in 2000. Finally tracked it down on Ebay ($45.00 when the auction ended, and worth every penny)

Faith No More - Ashes To Ashes 4 track

MMM - I'm shocked a man of your musical experteeze would like Ice Cube and not Disposable Heroes, who are a lot more intellectual in their writting and musically superior and original (IMHO) than any rap group I can think of. They remind me of what would happen if Chuck D joined Pink Floyd.

Then again, I really don't know much about Ice Cubes material. Most of what I heard ( along time ago) was typical rap stuff, lyrically, but Cube does have a heavy voice, which is cool.

oh well, to each his own

--------------------

yawn

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted January 22, 2004 20:39     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as rap gos for me it's Ice Cube, Ice-T and Public Enemy, and that's it. There's a few songs here and there from others but it seems that most rappers cannot put together a full album of songs. Oddly enough it doesn't effect their record sales.

There isn't much I like that came out after 1992.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 23, 2004 00:02     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
TANG, I didn't know they remastered CULTOSAURUS, is there bonus material on it like the did with the other remasters...give me some details.

This is some sort of import I found on Ebay, with a sticker on the front that says 'Rewind'. The sound quality is superb, and the original artwork is all there. Still, if there are plans for a remastered domestic re-issue, I'd hold out for that - since (like you said) every edition so far has included all kinds of cool previously unreleased tracks. I really hope they do the same for this & 'Fire of Unknown Origin'.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 23, 2004 05:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Tang, I'll hold off with hope on the remaining catalog getting the royal treatment. Cultosaurus - Fire Of Unknown Origin - Revolution By Night would all be great remasters with bonus tracks.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 24, 2004 06:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
finally picked up:
THE WHO - Live At the Royal Albert Hall 3 cd set. this is the companion to the awesome dvd that was released a couple years ago. lots of special guest appearances
these guys can still tear it up

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 25, 2004 15:26     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ROLLING STONES - Forty Licks: nice compilation for people who, just like me, are not collectors of Stones stuff. Nice double CD, covering the whole of their career.

DARKTHRONE - Hate Them: you like Plaguewielder? You're gonna love the sound on this one. The title of the first song is a perfect definition: Rust.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted January 26, 2004 13:13     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I here what you're saying Schroed. But I like Cube because he was doing it long before it became typical. And I think he shows more passion than DHoH. Besides that, it's probably the nostalgia that makes me like Cube more. I'm from LA and I remember like it was yesterday when those demos of NWA were floating around before they broke it big. It was truly stuff that was unheard of at that point.
And cube's delivery may not be as intellectual, but he's definately not dumb. He's as clever as they come, and again, his delivery is heavy.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 26, 2004 16:32     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony:
As far as new stuff for me.
Ice-T - Original Gangster
Ice Cube - Amerikka's Most Wanted

In the world of Gangsta Rap, nobody can touch the two 'Ices' - da Cube an' da 'T'
(yo)

A friend and I actually ran into Ice T in a Tower Records store in Hollywood, in probably around '88-89 or so. My bro was walking around sporting his baseball cap with the visor flipped up to reveal the infamous phrase 'Suicidal'. (remember the ones?)

So anyway, Ice T sees that, and comes walking over to us all serious like. He walks right up to my bro, almost in his face and says "yo! what's that song of theirs that goes S! - T! S! - T!!? What album's that one on?" (BTW, I recognized him only because another friend had been attempting to turn me on to his music a couple of weeks before)

I just started laughing, because the way he came up to him was all confrontational - and it turns out he knew his hardcore/ thrash pretty fucking well. And as you probably know, he went on a couple of years later to form the thrash/ core outfit Body Count. (and was damn near arrested for the song 'Cop Killer') Anyway, we shot the shit with him for a while and then went off on our way. Ever since, I've always liked the fucker.

"my lethal weapon is my MIND"
- Ice T

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 26, 2004 17:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I agree The CUBE and the T (and Chuck D)are the best voices that rap has to offer. Body Count was pretty cool and heavy and extreme. They are all the fathers of the hardcore gangstas... often imitated never duplicated.
Cool story Tang.

I forgot about the commotion NWA created, but I've never been into the raunchy, sexist, lyrics that most of these guys spew out of their mouths, or the typical "throw your hands in the air..." crap that almost every rapper has said at one time or another in a song.

Anyway, point well taken.

Today I received
Faith No More - 'This Is It The Best Of'

of course I honestly don't believe this will actually "be it"... as far as the last FNM best of compilation to be released. I got it as a freebie from Columbia House, so it is well worth it.

also received:
SPACE & BASS - various artist 12 cd box set (with a Porcupine Tree track) lots of spacey ambient tunes from everyone imaginable. Only $26.00 from Ebay... couldn't pass it by.

--------------------

yawn

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted January 27, 2004 01:51     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dio - Lock Up The Wolves and Killing the Dragon

Anthrax - Found the Stomp 442 remaster used and got it for the covers of Celebrated Summer by Husker Du and Dethroned Emperor from Celtic Frost, good stuff. The Kiss cover is pretty good too, definitely better than Kiss.

Zyklon - Aeon. I like it more than World ov Worms. Much clearer sound and more variety in the song writing.

Opeth - Lamentations. Excellent live DVD. One set of the Damnation songs and another set of all the heavy stuff. Also includes a documentary on the making of Damnation and Deliverance.

E Force - Evil Forces. Not bad. Reminds me a lot of 80's thrash, which is a good thing.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted January 27, 2004 08:39     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Khanate - Khanate
Khanate - Things Viral

VA - New York Thrash (legendary compilation of '81 HC, with The Mad, Bad Brains, False Prophets, Adrenalin OD, Beastie Boys... a much needed replacement for my ol'tape)

VA - The Git Down! (Raw and Rare Funk Jams, 67-71)

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted January 28, 2004 12:59     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bit of a mixed bag came today - kinda filling some holes in my extremely holey cd collection.

Venom - Black Metal
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Type O Negative - Least Worst Of
Deep Purple - Machine Head
The Atomic Bitchwax - Spit Blood (enhanced cd with multimedia studio documentary and bonus Meteor City 2002 sampler cd)
Blue Oyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus
Enslaved - Below the Lights

What a combo, eh?

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 28, 2004 13:01     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMeg:
Blue Oyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus
Enslaved - Below the Lights

Those two are missing in my collection, too. Feel like I should get'em.

GIVE ME MONEY!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 31, 2004 20:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PORCUPINE TREE - Warszawa (live ltd ed cd)

FAITH NO MORE - Angel Dust (austrailian double cd with 4 song live cd)
FAITH NO MORE - I Started A Joke (3 song cd)
FAITH NO MORE - Epic (4 song cd)

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted February 01, 2004 16:01     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some new cd's:

Nebula - Let It Burn
Nebula - Sun Creature EP
I'm loving this band more and more. They simply ROCK!
und...
The Gathering - Sleepy Buildings (A Semi Acoustic Evening)

And a new (or better: old and used) lp:

Alice Cooper - Love It To Death (fukking cool album!)

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 02, 2004 08:44     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MARDUK - World Funeral.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 02, 2004 13:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MORE GOODIES ...if it wasn't for the music, I might have just gone insane...or maybe because of the music, I DID, but don't know it yet.

YES - The Ultimate Yes 35th Anniversary Collection (Yes and Jethro Tull are in competition as to see who can release the most Best of, Greatest Hits, Collections, Anniversry Editions, etc... it's ridiculus I know but there are some cool tracks on the 3 cd set that haven't seen official releases yet, and the remastered quality is always a nice plus when listening to these classic songs. I do wish they would forget about the Big Generator era... total crap IMHO

FAITH NO MORE - Who Cares A Lot ltd ed greatest hits 2cd collection. This is a UK release and differs from the US release only in the fact that there are color pictures in the booklet instead of black & white. Also, it seems that this is a limited edition because of the 2nd cd of demos and rarities, which was part of the standard release here in the states. Anyway, the FNM collection continues to expand.

PEARL JAM - a bunch of live shows from October 2003 (including the great Bridge Scool Benefits) that I downloaded from www.theskyiscrape.com They do a bunch of cool covers including some Johnny Cash, Ramones, Beatles, Dylan & the one show has a Temple Of The Dog reunion where Cornell comes out to sing with the band and they perform Hunger Strike & Reach Down, along with Can't Change Me & Like A Stone. During the Bridge School show they do a great parody of Old McDonald and change it to Dick Cheney, a funny little ditty

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 03, 2004 16:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TODAYS MAIL FEATURED:
PAW - Spiritfest 1998 (2cds)
PAW - The Bottleneck, Kansas Sept 22 2000 (2cds)
PAW - CBGBs July 23 1999
PAW - Home Is A Strange Place demos
PAW - Bottleneck, Kansas July 24 2000 (2cds)

also I've been creating cd sleeves to hold all the ANACRUSIS cds I just burned from their site.
QUICK TO DOUBT demos 1989
REASON
HOLLAND live 1993
ST LOUIS live 1993
SCREAMS AND WHISPERS
ST LOUIS live 1991
SUFFERING HOUR
ANNIHILATION COMPLETE demos 1987
MANIC IMPRESSIONS
MANIC IMPRESSIONS demos

--------------------

yawn

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted February 03, 2004 17:08     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Exodus - Tempo of the Damned
Fantomas - Delirium Cordia

Mithras - Forever Advancing... Legions
Neurosis & Jarboe

Judas Priest - Killing Machine [remastered]
Abrasive Wheels - Black Leather girl

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted February 03, 2004 20:19     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
More treasures today:

Mekong Delta - Live at an Exhibition
Mekong Delta - Principle of Doubt
Mekong Delta - Pictures at an Exhibition
Mekong Delta - Music of Erich Zahn
Mekong Delta - Kaleidoscope

plus 3 more that were backordered will ship tomorrow. Gosh I hope it turns out that I like this music...

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted February 06, 2004 00:20     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Death - Leprosy
Opeth - Morningrise
The Royal Fingers - Wild Eleki Deluxe
Dark Tranquility - Haven
Scorpions - Animal Magnetism, Taken By Force, Lovedrive, Lonesome Crow

The Royal Fingers are a Japanese instrumental surf band, great stuff. The Scorpions are all remasters and were only $9 each new. I haven't listened to them in almost twenty years, but I was a huge fan when I was a kid. Forgot how great the Scorpions are.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 06, 2004 05:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SALEM HILL - Not Everybody's Gold + Be + Puppet Show

Neut, how's the new Fantomas - Delirium Cordia? Is it just like the other stuff they've released (crazy, bizzarre, demented, noisey)?

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 06, 2004 08:20     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LED ZEP - Physical Graffiti
LED ZEP - Live at the BBC

for a ridiculous price at the pawnshop. Only problem: no booklets. Blah. For the price I payed and for the quality of the music, it was worth it.

Also bought there: 3 Tintin books, almost new, for a mindbogglingly low price. And three good ones: Tintin au Tibet, Les Bijoux de la Castafiore and Tintin et les Picaros. (ok, those are not CDs so I'll just shuddufuckup).

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted February 06, 2004 10:11     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
how's the new Fantomas - Delirium Cordia? Is it just like the other stuff they've released (crazy, bizzarre, demented, noisey)?

All of that, just even worse! certainly their most abstract release, much harder to listen to than the previous albums. It has the ambiant insanity of the Director's Cut (but very few easy melodies), and the abstract madness of Amenaza al Mundo. Composed of distinct parts, but deliberately released as one single track...

Absolutely unfuckinbelievable sounds (and combination of them)... sometimes, it's kinda blocking your breath for a second (Khanate does this too)

Beautiful packaging (though I don't think it was worth delaying the release date goatdammit!)
I mean "Beautiful" for the material used, not the pictures themselves - the album theme being Surgery...

anyway, if you like Fantomas, you gotta hear this!

found that today:

Sadus - DTP Demo 1986 + 2 bonus tracks from Certain Death Demo 1987
(Hammerheart Records)

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan