my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Anyone get any new CDs recently? (Page 138)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Author Topic: Anyone get any new CDs recently?
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 07, 2012 12:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It only takes a package in the mailbox to help brighten my otherwise boring day:
PINK FLOYD - The Wall Immersion box set (can't wait to explore this beauty and I'm sure it will be my favorite of the 3 Immersion sets... unless they release an Immersion Box for Animals... even that might not compare)

SANCTUARY - Refuge Denied/Into the Mirror Black 2cd set (I already had ItMB but this was cheaper than buying the out of print single disc version of Refuge denied)

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 08, 2012 17:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
STEVEN WILSON - catalogue/preserve'amass live in europe october 2011

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - Me and My Friends (a rare insight through the eyes of band photographer Tony Woolliscroft) book

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 08, 2012 22:35     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice buy with the Sanctuary Dave! Thinking I need to pick that one upas I only have Refuge Denied, on vinyl. Funny these guys are back in action again... did not expect that to happen, but with the Nevermore meltdown, I suppose it's a good thing. Saw them with Megadeth back in '88, which was great.

Looks like Seattle's Everyday Music is moving (again!), so before they close for another 4 months, I nabbed these used items off the shelf...

- Candlemass: Lucifer Rising
- The Doors: The Soft Parade [expanded edition]
- Napalm Death: Words From The Exit Wound
- Pentagram: Be Forwarned

I was initially apprehensive about Robert Lowe joining Candlemass, but after living with a copy of King Of The Grey Islands for some time, I am finding a lot to like with this era of the band. Lucifer Rising is no exception!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 09, 2012 10:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't know Sanctuary had reformed, that's great news, and I'll need to look into that some more and see who's in the band. Into the Mirror Black is an incredible album and Refuge Denied is an amazing debut. I might have seen that tour with Megadeth also. After reading the liner notes in the double cd the band was ready to release their 3rd album, but it wasn't grungey enough for the label executives... the guys who know nothing about music except sales figures always seem to ruin bands. They end up breaking up or making a shitty album to try and please the people that sign the checks.

It also seems I need to look into Candlemass again. I liked them when they came out but for some reason lost interest, or maybe they just started sounding redundant to me.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 13, 2012 16:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ANTHRAX-State of Euphoria
ALLMAN BROS- Idlewild South
PANTERA-Cowboys from Hell

I really wanted to buy the new one from Obscura but there's no way I could pay $17 for a cd anymore........

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 17, 2012 00:16     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I really wanted to buy the new one from Obscura but there's no way I could pay $17 for a cd anymore........

Agreed, $17 is too much for CDs anymore. I notice some bands, like Rush and Judas Priest, have lowered the price of their albums to $5-$8, brand new (at least in my area), which is an unbeatable deal for Rush/JP remasters... That's one smart way to get people to buy your albums.

To keep myself from getting the shakes, I aquired these fine items today.

- Chrome: Chrome Box [3 disc set]
- Embryo: 40! [2 disc rarities collection]
- Krux: Krux III ~He Who Sleeps Amongst The Stars

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 18, 2012 15:02     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
While we're talking about mediocre stoner rock what do you think about the new COC? I liked those first two songs they released but after listening to the full album stream....uhmmmmm...

Got the bundle a couple weeks ago and very pleased to have the 180g LP as well as a CD. The signed poster is a treat too. The rest of the album is like those 2 songs, maybe not as doomy and stuff but Reed's hard hitting on the drums punctuate everything.

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 18, 2012 19:19     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got nothing bad to say about that new COC record. Love the hell out of it!

Had to work for a few hours today, so decided to make the most of it and hit a shop on my way home. Bought two new discs and one used one....

- Candlemass: Chapter VI [reissue w/DVD]
- Drudkh: Eternal Turn Of The Wheel
- Spiritual Beggars: Return To Zero

The Spiritual Beggars was the used item. Not totally sold on their latest, but it's pretty hard to find around here so figured I'd better pick it up anyway and give it another chance.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 19, 2012 20:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - Greatest Hits & Videos (cd/dvd)

went to Amazon the other day and grabbed a few things I needed for my RHCP collection (but avoided all the cd singles, so I didn't get too carried away) also picked up some other cool shit you'll see listed here in the near future as it arrives. Boredom = shopping for music

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 20, 2012 16:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ian Gillan Band - Before the Turbulence

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 21, 2012 21:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not sure why I never had this, but I do now

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 22, 2012 17:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Today's stuffed mailbox contained:
Orange Goblin - Limited Edition set of their first 5 albums remastered in digipack format with bonus tracks and unseen photos. (paid about $35 for this... nice cheap easy way to pick up a lot of cool music. I only had their Healing Through Fire cd/dvd prior to getting this box set)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk remastered & extended

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Red Hot Chili Peppers remastered & extended

Megadeth - Greatest Hits back to the Start cd/dvd version (stupid me, bought it froma dealer in the UK so the dvd is in PAL... luckily I have a couple players that will play this format, it's just a pain to flip cables from my Blu Ray player to my regular dvd player when I want to watch a PAL disc.

Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home (white/brown vinyl limited to 500 copies)

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 22, 2012 21:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, that Pantera album reminded me how much I hated that band. And that awful solid state tone of Dimebag's....arghhh...one of the all time worst...yeah, the guy could play but....why did I buy this shit? It was cheap, 7 bucks...also I thought...its been a couple of years, maybe I will like them now. Nope, wrong sir. Before Newclear Fusion gets all butthurt on me I have listened to some Down and actually liked what I heard. So don't freak out please....
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 22, 2012 23:03     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny, it's always been Phil (or more specifically, way too much of of him) that makes Pantera a tough listen for me. Darryl's tone never bothered me too much, though I am not a fan of that solid state sound in general. His playing was amazing, a weird mash of Van Halen, thrash, and something else, haha.

Lee, I love how you buy CDs, then realize you don't like them after all! That's gotta be a rare thing nowadays man! Like pre-interwebz maaaaaaaaannnnnnnn....

No new purchases at this time, but looks like Cynic is releasing the 1995 Portal project demo on CD soon, so that will be on my short list for sure! Would be cool if they reissued their old pre-Focus demos on CD too... I'd eat that shit up!

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 22, 2012 23:06     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Not sure why I never had this, but I do now

Maybe all the man-pubes kept you away?

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 24, 2012 02:39     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Wow, that Pantera album reminded me how much I hated that band. And that awful solid state tone of Dimebag's....arghhh...one of the all time worst...yeah, the guy could play but....why did I buy this shit? It was cheap, 7 bucks...also I thought...its been a couple of years, maybe I will like them now. Nope, wrong sir. Before Newclear Fusion gets all butthurt on me I have listened to some Down and actually liked what I heard. So don't freak out please....

DIME CHIME TIME!

Contrary to popular belief I only listened to Pantera in 91-93 on acid. I didn't even listen to them again until 2001, I shit you not. "Reinventing the Steel" is a pretty good metal album. I've only seen them once live, and that was in '92 opening for Skid Row and I had to go to the arena bathroom midway through to drink another Club Tanqueray or whatever that shit was they sold in little bottles back then.

Sometimes the music isn't about the technicality, but the feel and aggressiveness. There is no doubt they were an agro band, whether they sound good or not. I got hooked on the energy.

Fuck Down, Rex is out LOL

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 24, 2012 19:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm on XD's side regarding Phil ruining the sound of Pantera. CFH & Vulgar Display are my favs and I still spin them a lot, after that Phil's vocals just didn't cut it for me anymore, I thought he was spot on during VDoA... just fuckin brutal and unique... then I guess all the dope toke over and he he sounded like so many other typical singers doing the same fuckin thing with nothing that stood out as being unique. Dime fuckin shredded like a mutha, but without the right singer I just can't get into the songs like I did on the 2 albums mentioned. He played great on DamagePlan but the singing... BORING.

Regarding the Abbey Road ep... you're probably right XD, but sitting alone and bored around the house for a few weeks and the collector in me takes control and I buy things for real good reason other than I don't have it and I like the band... even though I have all those songs on other discs.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 26, 2012 13:38     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Company Band - Sign Here, Here. and Here (this replaces the download version I purchased when it came out... and as always a real cd sounds SO MUCH better than a download)

Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home (brown vinyl)
Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home (white marble vinyl)

Nevermore - The Year of the Voyager (double dvd) looking forward to blasting this next time I get on the treadmill

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 27, 2012 03:48     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
... then I guess all the dope toke over and he he sounded like so many other typical singers doing the same fuckin thing with nothing that stood out as being unique. Dime fuckin shredded like a mutha, but without the right singer I just can't get into the songs like I did on the 2 albums mentioned. He played great on DamagePlan but the singing... BORING.

Have you ever seen the 'Vulgar Videos'? They are 3 different releases from Pantera mostly from Dime's camera (or someone else while they are on stage). There are some sickening parts where Phil is practically passed out on stage but still uttering stuff into the mic, or backstage falling over into shit. They shoulda canned his ass then and there, but I guess since so many people are "Philiacs" they kept him. Then he ditches the band entirely in '02 without really saying so, just running 2 other bands at the same time is all...and then Dime is dead 2 years later.

They need to re-release the hard rock/glam stuff from the 80's, Dime really could play that shit. It was actually musical, not so atonal and wall-y.

But yeah, the first 2 albums kick asssss...MEZ!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 27, 2012 07:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had the Vulagar Videos dvd, watched it once, got a good laugh and got pissed off at certain things... and realized I'd never have the desire to watch it again, so it went up on Ebay, where I got it in the first place.

I wish there was a killer 5.1 surround sound, full blown concert of Pantera from the CFH or Vulgar Display tour... not just clips from different shows.

I'm also surprised their first few albums never really got mass marketed by a major label... especially after Dime was killed. I've heard some of the songs on a few mp3 sites and youtube and they're as good or better than most bands in that genre of metal, and Diamond Darrel still shredded like a mutha. I would think a lot of collectors would want those properly released, instead of having to settle for inferior bootlegs or crappy MP3 files. They should create a box set of all the stuff they put out prior to Cowboys From Hell.

So many great new albums coming out in the next couple of months... looking forward to my mailbox being stuffed with music.

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 27, 2012 17:09     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Finally some new stuff:

Iron Maiden DVD En VIvo (for my 14 year old son, MIlle)

Meshuggah KOLOSS ( and what a Koloss that is...)

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 28, 2012 13:21     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wanna get the new Meshuggah. Heard some if it and sounded pretty great.

Took my daughter to the mall the other day... I do not like the mall... and found this in the FYE used bin for $5. Then we went to the Disney Store, haha.... she's only 3 after all and calls everything I listen to "too much noise, daddy!"

- Sunn 0))): Monoliths & Dimensions

Seems pretty cool. I like Sunn 0))), but not a band I'd say I listen to all the time. Still, I try to keep up with them on a semi-regular basis and find this one to be fairly diverse.

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 28, 2012 13:27     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:
They need to re-release the hard rock/glam stuff from the 80's, Dime really could play that shit. It was actually musical, not so atonal and wall-y.

This is true! It's actually quite surprising that they haven't already done that and that they still distance themselves from that era. Sure, it was mostly cheesy as hell, but musically it's still better than a lot of stuff from the 80s party metal scene and the Power Metal album is mostly pretty solid. Phil sings more like Rob Halford on that one, haha.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 29, 2012 03:11     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
This is true! It's actually quite surprising that they haven't already done that and that they still distance themselves from that era. Sure, it was mostly cheesy as hell, but musically it's still better than a lot of stuff from the 80s party metal scene and the Power Metal album is mostly pretty solid. Phil sings more like Rob Halford on that one, haha.

I have the first 3 on cassette, cost me oh X100 each haha. It's the real deal and they sound awesome. Gonna go digital soon, transfer and all that.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 29, 2012 03:13     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I had the Vulagar Videos dvd, watched it once, got a good laugh and got pissed off at certain things... and realized I'd never have the desire to watch it again, so it went up on Ebay

That was priceless when Kirk Windstein was the Hulk hahaha

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan