my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Anyone get any new CDs recently? (Page 134)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Author Topic: Anyone get any new CDs recently?
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 25, 2011 18:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RUSH - SECTOR 1 + SECTOR 2 + SECTOR: 3 box sets awesome collection of their entire Mercury Catalog remastered (probably the same as the last time they remastered them which I have) in mini LP sleeve with one album from each box set recorded in 5.1 surround sound on dvd. put all 3 boxes together to form a big Anvil Roadcase... killer packaging!!! had to have this.

Yes - YesShows remastered & expanded

Chris Cornell - Songbook

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 26, 2011 18:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BILL WARD - Ward One: Along The Way (I have wanted this cd for a long long time, but just never got around to buying. the few times I did look for it the price was crazy high. I got a sweet deal on this one)

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 28, 2011 13:48     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those Rush box sets look real nice. A little strange to me that they each only include one album in surround? I mean, doesn't that mean you will have to (again) buy these individually when/if each album becomes available in surround?

I need to re-establish my 5.1 surround system as I gave it up after a string of my wife constantly having me rearrange our living room. Sigh...

Some recent pickups...

- Voivod: To The Death! '84 [both CD & LP - love it!]
- Pink Fairies: Kings Of Oblivion [remaster w/bonus tracks]
- Rush: Exit... Stage Left [remaster]
- Yes: 90125 [expanded/remaster]

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 29, 2011 01:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
of course it means I'll once again have to buy all the RUSH albums yet again when they finally remix them the rest of them to 5.1 surround sound. it would have been nice if they just did a deluxe box with the remastered cd & a surround mix dvd for all of them. Maybe they're not planning on doing the entire catalog in surround sound, although it seems like a no brainer to me.

Today I received:
TOUCH - soundtrack (found out Dave Grohl did the music for this, so I wanted it)

THRICE - Album Instrumentals (12 track promo only)

EVIL LIVES - A True Metal Tribute to Black Sabbath (some cool bands on this one)

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 29, 2011 20:31     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Chris Cornell....is that the one that Timbaland produced? Gosh he's awful. Even worse than James Labrie...

EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL - Worldwide (Schro you would laugh at me if you heard this...really really terrible, worse than what you hear in the dentist chair, and I like some of their later stuff)

THE POLICE - Live

REDHOTCHILIPEPPERS - What Hits (I'm enjoying the hell out of this, quite the nostalgic trip reminding me of my days back in high school for some reason)

SCREAMING TREES - Sweet Oblivion

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 30, 2011 17:08     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Chris Cornell....is that the one that Timbaland produced? Gosh he's awful. Even worse than James Labrie..."
FUCK NO!!!! I couldn't even bring myself to buy that album, no matter how much I enjoy Cornell's previous studio releases, SCREAM was just a bad idea all around. I appreciate artists wanting to explore different genres but that's one area I won't be following Cornell into. Songbook is an album of highlights from his acoustic solo tour and very good IMHO. But if you don't like Cornell's voice, you obviously wouldn't enjoy it... and you obviously have no taste

If you like the Chili Pepers Mez, you should pick up their new one, it's great.

Today's mail:
THE JELLY JAM - Shall We Descend (signed by all 3 members: Rod Morgenstein, John Myung, Ty Tabor

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 01, 2011 17:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOD - TO THE DEATH 84

anybody else heard of this band?

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 01, 2011 21:28     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes ME ME....I'm ordering now............
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 03, 2011 22:42     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Loving this To The Death '84 release! Easily one of my favorite "albums" of "2011", haha. In some ways, I almost like it more than War & Pain... dunno, just so much more raw, which seems appropriate for the tunes.

Found myself in the city today, which means a few mandatory music shop visits. Came out of a trance two hours later with the following used CDs on the passenger seat of my car.

- Atomic Rooster: Nice 'N' Greasy [expanded edition - yeah, recently bought the non-expanded edition... sigh]
- Can: Saw Delight [remaster]
- Hawkwind: The Chronicle Of The Black Sword [expanded/remaster]
- Judas Priest: Unleashed In The East [remaster]
- King Crimson: Discipline [30th Anniversary Edition]
- Led Zeppelin: Coda [Japan mini-LP edition]

Was pretty easy gathering up these Zeppelin mini-LPs from Zep1 through Houses Of The Holy, but after that, they get pretty rare (at least when looking for them in shops). Was cool to find Coda today and down to just needing Physical Grafitti, Presence, and In Through The Out Door. The Zeppeling mini-LP are so nice it makes me wish all CDs that were originally LPs were done like this.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 04, 2011 18:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I miss being in a cool record store where I could just get into "the trance" and time comes to a stand still. Now it's all online... because FYE at the mall doesn't really count, but it's not a bad place to kill some time when Lisa & Danae are off doing their girlie shopping.

Nativity in Black Volume 2 - Tribute to Black Sabbath (not sure why I never picked this one up before, I had the first volume as soon as it was released.. this one has some great bands doing killer Sabbath tunes also)

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 04, 2011 18:42     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I miss the music shop shopping as well, although I live in the same area as X-D, I don't get out as much, haven't had a car in over 2 years, and I can't drive my gf's cuz it's a stickshift . I know, why not learn to drive it? I actually have driven a truck in Texas, but there the roads are FLAT, haha. I would guaranteedly fuck up here and just roll back into someone if I was stuck on a crazy hill.

So with all that said I am very guilty of relying on online services...Amazon, eBay, bandpage storefronts, etc. I know I pay extra for shipping but at least I don't have to go anywhere haha. Anyways, here's what I've picked up (on my front porch!) recently:

Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
Mastodon - Blood Mountain deluxe (with the DVD, damn good DVD at that)
Martin Atkins China Dub Soundsystem - Made in China

Chris Connelly - Artificial Madness (ACQUIRE this ASAP!)

Misfits - 12 Hits from Hell (the unreleased album from 2001, it was already distributed in Europe but Danzig had it pulled right before the release date cuz he didn't like the 'cover' or some ridiculously stupid faggot shit like that LOL)

Hank Williams III - Ghost to Ghost 2CD set

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 05, 2011 20:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Today's Mailbox buster:
BLACK SABBATH - Black Sabbath (deluxe edition)
BLACK SABBATH - Master of Reality (deluxe edition)
BLACK SABBATH - Dehumaizer (deluxe edition)
BLACK SABBATH - Heaven and Hell (deluxe edition)
BLACK SABBATH - Live Evil (deluxe edition)
BLACK SABBATH - Seventh Star (deluxe edition)
*that completes the deluxe edition series for my collection... YEA!!!!

CHARLIE DOMINICI - 03 A Trilogy part 1
CHARLIE DOMINICI - 03 A Trilogy part 3
*I was worried these 2 were lost in the mail, since I received part 2 from the same seller a couple days after it shipped. luckily these arrived today... YEA!!!

THRICE - Vheissu (5 song promo sampler)

KANSAS - The Classic Albums 1974-1983 *Contains all 10 albums (11 cds in all, including the double live discs of Two For The Show )from this era, most with bonus tracks, housed inside a box in mini lp replica card sleeves, along with a book of liner notes and photos. Of course I already had all of these in regular released cds and the remastered and expanded editions but this is just a nice collection and it was only around $45 when I ordered it from Amazon.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 07, 2011 08:53     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ENTOMBED-The Left Hand Path

AMORPHIS-Tales from the Thousand Lakes

First time I've paid full price for music in a store in quite some time.....Can't wait to crank 'Left Hand'....that one is an all time classic!

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted December 07, 2011 13:12     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No cd's, but two nice vinyl editions of "To The Death 84". One regular black version and one color version

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 07, 2011 17:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dustin Kensrue The Good Night is Still Everywhere (1 red vinyl & 1 green vinyl) (very rare releases but got a killer deal on these and couldn't pass them up)

Kevin Wood & From the North - Malfunkshun Loverock 333 (this is basically a tribute to Andy Wood with his lyrics his brother Kevin has had in his possession since his death with Shawn Smith singing and interpreting them)

Dead Man Walking soundtrack - Legacy Edition (picked this up because it has an extra track with Eddie Vedder and a bonus dvd of the "Not in Our Name" Dead Man Walking The Concert

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 07, 2011 18:38     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Found these yesterday... all used CDs.

- King Crimson: Live At Summit Studios 1972 [KCC09]
- Edge Of Sanity: Purgatory Afterglow
- Ministry: With Sympathy

Of course that King Crimson Collector's Club disc is the find of the week! The Boz Burrel era has a special place in my heart, second only to the John Wetton era.

Good to round up that first Ministry album too, even if I will listen to it very little, haha.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 08, 2011 15:09     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MORAINE- Manifest Destiny
19 ADD- Gaia
CANVAS SOLARIS- The Atomized Dream

Just rediscovered the Laser's Edge website...oh man, I could go crazy in there.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 08, 2011 17:14     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YES - In The Present Live From Lyon (2 cd / dvd documentary) It's about damn time Anderson left the band again so some songs from the Drama album can be preformed live again. I thought their latest studio album Fly From Here was brilliant, unfortunately this was recorded prior to them releasing that album, so no songs from that are on this album. Hoping they release a live dvd from the last tour with the new singer.

MEZ, one of the guys in 19ADD is one of my best friend's cousin. I need to get that new one. I have their debut "Dead River" and need to spin that one again. I like what I've heard from the new one.

XD, Those King Crimson collectors club releases are awesome. I haven't let one pass me by yet. I love the fact that they skip around from different eras of the band with each release, giving all their line up equal representation. I've got a lot more respect for the Boz era because of these releases and because of the remastered & surround mixes that allow you to hear so many things that just weren't mixed properly in the original editions of them. GREAT FIND!!!

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 09, 2011 22:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No way! That's pretty cool. Yeah, those guys are really something. Out of all these new instrumental metal bands they seem to be on something very unique.........
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 10, 2011 18:00     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Schroeder, do you have this book yet? Just ran across it while ordering the "MURDER IN THE FRONT ROW: Shots From the Bay Area Thrash Metal Epicenter" book. The cover art struck my sight immediately!

http://www.bazillionpoints.com/progress/

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 10, 2011 18:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, Jared is my friends cousin. I listened to the debut cd yesterday and ordered their new one from the bands site right after I posted here yesterday.

newclear infusion, I had that Mean Deviation book preorderd the day Amazon offered it up. It's a fun read. Cool Away art, nice forward by Steven Wilson. It discussed black and Norwegian metal a bit too much for my taste, but overall it's a great book that discuss a shit load of bands.
Now I need to check out that book you bought, that looks like it could be damn cool!!!

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 11, 2011 15:50     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah cool Dave, how could I NOT think you already had it haha? And I'm an idiot for not checking Amazon for that other book first, but apparently their release date is 2 weeks after, I can't wait that long haha.

So while I was at amazon I went ahead and ordered the remastered/reissued deluxe versions of the first two Smashing Pumpkins releases, "Gish" and "Siamese Dream". I've already heard an mp3 version of Dream and it doesn't sound much different than the original, which sucks, but also is proof of how sonic the original was! But bot come with DVD's of concerts shot during that era, should be neat to see.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 15, 2011 08:00     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by schroeder:
[QB]Mez, Jared is my friends cousin. I listened to the debut cd yesterday and ordered their new one from the bands site right after I posted here yesterday.

I'm sorry you ordered this, wish I could've warned you first....I listened to the first five songs and heard....NOTHING. Just three guys playing. No personality, nothing distinct, and most importantly no SONGS. And I'm all about the avant garde & fusion stuff but this isn't even a decent attempt at that..I was completely bored. Man, I haven't been this bummed since well let's see...the last Gigan & Yakuza albums I bought.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 15, 2011 18:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WOW!!!! Sorry to hear you didn't like the disc Mez. I was a bit worried about that myself. I just received my copy today and they included a cd by a band called Hurt Model that they are doing a split 7" with next year.
I know GAIA is different than their debut, which is pretty intense, so I'll try to be open minded when I spin it tomorrow at work. It's received some good reviews.

Also:
Chris Cornell - Can't Change Me (2 track cd single with video)

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 16, 2011 19:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Todays mail:
PEARL JAM - 20 vinyl edition (BEAUTIFUL)

Mez, i enjoyed the new 19ADD "GAIA" album. It was definitely more laid back than the first one, but most tracks had a cool vibe and grooves happening, some had more texture and layers than others, and overall I liked it. I wasn't thrill with the "blast beat (or whatever the fuck ya call it) drumming a couple of track because I thought it ruined the feel of music, and a few of the inserted speaking bits seemed out of place or forced.

The other cd they sent from their friends band HURT MODEL was shit, and I glad it was free because I wouldn't pay money for it.

Oh yea, forgot to mention I downloaded the 4 new Metallica tracks that they are calling "Beyond Magnetic" leftovers from the Death Magnetic recordings. After listening to them a few times I can see why they left them off. They aren't horrible, but just not up to what ended up on the album (which I like). A couple sounded too much like other songs on the record so that could have been a reason to leave them off also. It was worth the $3.99.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan