my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Anyone get any new CDs recently? (Page 140)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Author Topic: Anyone get any new CDs recently?
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 22, 2012 00:08     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonut:
Word.

Ditto! Thanks Tim! Love this album! So much appreciate you sharing this with us man!

Other fine tune I've picked up recently.

- Blue Öyster Cult: s/t album [remaster]
- Blue Öyster Cult: Tyranny And Mutation [remaster]
- Cream: Fresh Cream [remaster]
- Bill Cobham: Spectrum
- King Crimson: Starless And Bible Black [40th Anniversary Edition CD/DVD]
- Kreator: Pleasure To Kill [remaster]
- Las Cruces: Ringmaster
- Klaus Schulze: Timewind [2-disc special edition/remaster]
- Whiplash: Insult To Injury

Have had Pleasure To Kill on CD for ages, but this remaster was only $6, so seemed worth it... As any Voivodfan knows, those old Noise CDs were not ideal.

The King Crimson reissue is amazing, as is that Klaus Schulze. Shit, was stoked as hell to find the Las Cruces, Whiplash and Billy Cobham discs as well.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 22, 2012 11:51     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Ditto! Thanks Tim! Love this album! So much appreciate you sharing this with us man!

Other fine tune I've picked up recently.

- Blue Öyster Cult: s/t album [remaster]
- Blue Öyster Cult: Tyranny And Mutation [remaster]
- Cream: Fresh Cream [remaster]
- Bill Cobham: Spectrum
- King Crimson: Starless And Bible Black [40th Anniversary Edition CD/DVD]
- Kreator: Pleasure To Kill [remaster]
- Las Cruces: Ringmaster
- Klaus Schulze: Timewind [2-disc special edition/remaster]
- Whiplash: Insult To Injury

Have had Pleasure To Kill on CD for ages, but this remaster was only $6, so seemed worth it... As any Voivodfan knows, those old Noise CDs were not ideal.

The King Crimson reissue is amazing, as is that Klaus Schulze. Shit, was stoked as hell to find the Las Cruces, Whiplash and Billy Cobham discs as well.

NOw Playing: Pleasure to Kill. Original first print CD. Lovely...

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 22, 2012 22:51     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spectrum was the one with Tommy Bolin right...man, I love that guy's playing. They're reissuing some of his stuff...or putting out a new collection I believe.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 23, 2012 12:28     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Spectrum was the one with Tommy Bolin right...man, I love that guy's playing. They're reissuing some of his stuff...or putting out a new collection I believe.

Yeah, that's the one! The album absolutely shreds all around. Both Bolin and Cobham are at the top of their game here! Essential listening!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 26, 2012 17:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have no clue how this was never in my collection, but it is now:
JUDAS PRIEST - Live in London

Mastodon/Flaming Lips - Spoonful Weighs a Ton (split pink vinyl 7" - Record Store Day release)

Mastodon/Fiest - Commotion/Black Tongue (7" Record Store Day Release - the bands covered each others songs)

Not sure how I really feel about RSD especially since I don't have any local stores to go to and it seems most of the product gets scarfed up by people just looking to put it on eBay for people like me who can't buy it in the store, and I'm sure there's a lot of store owners who get the product just to make a shit load more by holding on the side to put on eBay. The majority of the product specially released for this day just doesn't seem to get directly to the hands of the people who really want it for their collection.

Does anyone here get to go to RSD and actually purchase what they are looking for at the prices they are suppose to be sold at?

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 26, 2012 21:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would if they had them. But that's not possible around here.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 28, 2012 01:26     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are a million indie record stores here but I never make it to any on the day in question. I did however find a link to the Mastodon song, that will do I guess! It isn't illegal if it's sold-out and unavailable, right? here's what else I got this week:

Lard:
-The Power of Lard
-Pure Chewing Satisfaction
-70's Rock must Die

I have 'The last temptation of Reid' somewhere, but if I can't find it I'll just order a new one

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 29, 2012 12:20     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of the things I love about this thread is that it sometimes reminds me of cds I have that I've forgotten about about... Just pulled out my "Last temptation of Reid" which I haven't listened to in a long time... thanks.

Received yesterday:
Joe Satriani - Satchurated: Live in Montreal - blu ray
Joe Satriani - Satchurated: Live in Montreal double cd
Brad - United We Stand
Steven Wilson - catalog/preserve/amass live in europe october 2011 (record store day vinyl release

--------------------

yawn

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 29, 2012 18:17     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Same for me... I don't think I ever actually make it out on "record store day" but to hit the shops all the time anyway. Seattle does have tons of indie stores that participate, so sure we could take part if we made a point of it.

Went to a record show today, but it was a bust, so did some poking around in the city and came home with these CDs.

- Cluster: Cluster '71
- The Doors: Strange Days [40th Anniversary edition]
- Esoteric: Paragon Of Dissonance [DOOOOOOM!]
- Flower Travelin' Band: Anywhere
- Judas Priest: Rocka Rolla
- Manilla Road: The Deluge
- Swans: The Great Annihilator
- Uriah Heep: Look At Yourself [expanded deluxe edition, real nice!]

Haha, I have all those Lard discs except 70s Rock Must Die. The others are great, so should probably make a point to grab that one here sometime.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 29, 2012 22:42     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Just pulled out my "Last temptation of Reid" which I haven't listened to in a long time... thanks.

Oh cool, you found it, now if you could just return it that would be nice

I think Lard sounds better than the late 90's/early 2000's Ministry albums. Just a different singer, quirky as he may be, that's Jello for ya!

I ordered Black Sabbath FEATURING Tony Iommi (deluxe remastered edition) 'Seventh Star' from Amazon, should arrive tomorrow. I read Iommi's book recently and was funny to note that he assembled this band from Lita Ford's (of whom he was dating at the time) and they ended up breaking up because the band wanted to stay with him LOL.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 30, 2012 21:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Oh cool, you found it, now if you could just return it that would be nice"
LMFAO!!!!

The IOMMI book was great. Lots of great insight, and all of the DELUXE Sabbath discs are worth picking up. Plenty of great live, unreleased, and demos to make them worthwhile.

Speaking of books, I'm currently ready the unauthoized Judas Priest: Defenders of the Faith biography which is crammed with amazing info and tons of interviews from past members and quotes from current members made over the years. The author was trying to get the band to authorize this book but they put so many restrictions on what he could write, so he released it way... so much I never knew that the band kind of kept secret over the years.

Todays mail:
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (3 disc set (remastered/live/demos) this is the one I should have purchased instead of the 2 disc set... oh well, got 'em both now

RUSH- ABC 1974: Angora Ballroom Cleveland Ohio 26 August 1974 (The First American Broadcast)

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 01, 2012 07:50     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
"Oh cool, you found it, now if you could just return it that would be nice"
LMFAO!!!!

The IOMMI book was great. Lots of great insight, and all of the DELUXE Sabbath discs are worth picking up. Plenty of great live, unreleased, and demos to make them worthwhile.

Speaking of books, I'm currently ready the unauthoized Judas Priest: Defenders of the Faith biography which is crammed with amazing info and tons of interviews from past members and quotes from current members made over the years. The author was trying to get the band to authorize this book but they put so many restrictions on what he could write, so he released it way... so much I never knew that the band kind of kept secret over the years.

Todays mail:
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (3 disc set (remastered/live/demos) this is the one I should have purchased instead of the 2 disc set... oh well, got 'em both now

RUSH- ABC 1974: Angora Ballroom Cleveland Ohio 26 August 1974 (The First American Broadcast)

Just wanted to mention while I hated Cowboys from Hell....I just ran across Vulgar Display on youtube......, that thing kills! His guitar sound was way better...I even thought Phil sounded pretty cool. Great album.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 03, 2012 22:08     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Faith No More - The Works A 3 CD Retrospective (of course I already have all this music on all the regular releases and compilations but this looked too cool to pass up... Hell, it's FNM, I had to have it.)

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 05, 2012 18:18     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Hmm, I might wanna check that out. Is it the same guy that did the Slayer book? He tried to get them to authorize it too but they wouldn't. I think it was Joel McIver.

Got my Sabbath 'Seventh Star', I don't know why I never really bothered (well yeah I do, I used to think it was "weak" because there are some ballads haha), but in my old age I have come to appreciate great singing and music, regardless if it's "gay" for something that is labeled as Black Sabbath

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 05, 2012 20:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The author is indeed Joel McIver. I'm now reading his "Justice For All: The Truth About Metallica" book. This guy does a shit load of extensive research for all of his books and interviews tons of people who really help flesh out the story. I like these books better because they are unauthorized and don't get edited by the band so you only get to read the stuff they want you to know.

I was always a fan of the Seventh Star album even though I admit it didn't feel like a Sabbath album, and it was actually NEVER intended to be, it reminded me more of Rainbow or something more along those lines.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 07, 2012 15:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FALLING DOWN Compilations: I - II - IIV (which features an unreleased The Winchester Club recording... hopefully there will be a lot of good music on these 7 discs since I figured if The Winchester Club was associated with it, it's gotta be decent.)

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 07, 2012 21:48     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never understood what is the Winchester Club? A bar that Harry hangs out at? A band where he does soft acoustic covers of holiday favorites? An album ? Somebody answer this mystery for me! Please...
hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted May 08, 2012 07:11     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I've never understood what is the Winchester Club? A bar that Harry hangs out at? A band where he does soft acoustic covers of holiday favorites? An album ? Somebody answer this mystery for me! Please...

An epic post-rock band of some Harry's friends, they invited Harry and Nell to complete the lineup. It's good, trust me, no holiday favorites or other cheese. Two great albums behind their backs.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 08, 2012 08:20     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THE WINCHESTER CLUB is great music. Totally different than the other bands H has been involved with... at least different than all the ones I have collected. I love the stuff they have created. Their my "go to" band when i want something trippy - ambient - heavy - groovy - mind numbing. It reminds me of things I have like Bass Communion, Robert Fripp's Soundscapes, Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, The Holy Body Tattoo (Blacky's project from the late 90's... which I need to spin real soon)

Listening to Falling Down IIV Compilation now. The Winchester Club track was cool of course (started with their track even though it was the last song on disc 1), and so far everything else is top quality stuff. So far I'm glad I forked over all the money to get these. Excellent collection.

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 09, 2012 19:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion (vinyl - cd/blu ray - autographed poster) They sent me a download link the other day and I listened to it a couple times while I was driving & working today. Not sure what my opinion is about it, but I think it's one of those albums that you really need to sit down & pay attention to... like early prog, which is what it sounds exactly like. Definitely a combination of Opeth's Heritage album and Steven Wilson latest solo material rolled into one.

--------------------

yawn

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 09, 2012 22:35     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not a CD, but a book: WORLDS AWAY.

Fantastic.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 09, 2012 22:44     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion (vinyl - cd/blu ray - autographed poster) They sent me a download link the other day and I listened to it a couple times while I was driving & working today. Not sure what my opinion is about it, but I think it's one of those albums that you really need to sit down & pay attention to... like early prog, which is what it sounds exactly like. Definitely a combination of Opeth's Heritage album and Steven Wilson latest solo material rolled into one.

Hey Dave, I hadn't really been paying attention to this one until I saw the video for Drag Ropes on Youtube a couple of weeks ago became kind of obsessed with it.
Drag Ropes

I've since heard the full album a few times and am finding a lot going on... way mellow, gentle, and dark as hell. A beautiful recording, I think. The CD/BluRay version will be mine, haha! I'll bet the 5.1 mix is insane.

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 10, 2012 10:46     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Definitely a combination of Opeth's Heritage album and Steven Wilson latest solo material rolled into one.

This is pretty much what I have in mind. Did you see the huge gash (haha!) on Mikael's head? OUCH! Apparently hit his head on the tour bus and had to have his head stapled. Yeesh.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted May 10, 2012 15:28     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At first listen I didn't know what to think of this album, but then I got sucked in by the strange dark atmosphere. Now I love it. Just like I love 'Heritage'and 'Grace For Drowning'.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 11, 2012 20:38     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That gash on Mikael's head is fuckin' gnarly. I love his write up about it. He should open the concerts with a 30 minute stand up comedy routine. He is funny as hell.

I listened to the 5.1 blu ray mix the other day, and this is definitely the way to experience the album. It's something you have to absorb and let it absorb you, just like Sw's solo material and Opeth's Heritage (which are all amazing in 5.1).

I wasn't thrilled with the drag the ropes video. It reminded me of South Park meets Tim Burton. Just not my style of animation.

Not a cd, but I did complete my collection of the Yellow Submarine McFarlane figures. Being bored & lonely makes me go to Amazon & Ebay and buy things I've always wanted but had enough sense before not to buy. Yellow Submarine & The Wall are the 2 movies that combined art & music and destroyed my mind at an early age. These 2 films and their impact on my young brain are responsible for my addiction.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan