my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » "INFINI" (Page 5)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: "INFINI"
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 02, 2009 22:05     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not! It does! No!
 |  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted July 03, 2009 10:16     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it would look cooler with an evil zamboni decked out with missiles or something, i think.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 03, 2009 10:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
I'm not! It does! No!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 03, 2009 13:14     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
it would look cooler with an evil zamboni decked out with missiles or something, i think.

Wow, Korgull as a Zamboni driver, I never thought of that before!

I have the US version, but the Canadian is cool!

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 03, 2009 13:18     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The European NB version:

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Cthon
Member # 156

posted July 03, 2009 13:43     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
Wow, Korgull as a Zamboni driver, I never thought of that before!

I have the US version, but the Canadian is cool!

hmmmm. makes you wonder.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted July 03, 2009 14:08     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
hmmmm. makes you wonder.

I'll be darned. So THAT'S what it is huh?

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted July 03, 2009 22:12     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Bruce McCandless II in the MMU next to the LEM just cracks me up. I bought another copy, just for that.

edit: also note that the canadian release is of a somehow greenish hue compared to the US release which is silvery grey.

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent ŕ supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 06, 2009 14:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got my copy today from Best Buy. So far, listened to only first three songs. The sound is great....and what the hell is up with the rhythm section??? They lock together beautifully...Michel hasn't sounded this inspired in years IMO. I can't wait to get to the rest of it!!
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 06, 2009 16:33     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Jason's bass sound must be the best he ever had. I prefer this by far over 'Katorz'. "Morpheus" is destined to be a classic.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted July 07, 2009 04:57     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have discovered that Pyramidome is just bloody amazing! Very Nothingfaceish
The whole album just keep growing and growing for me.

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 07, 2009 07:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It seems unanimous that the more you listen to it the better it gets. like a drug that slowly absorbs into your brain. think of how great this will be a few years from now after thousands of listens.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 08, 2009 11:45     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by code:
I have discovered that Pyramidome is just bloody amazing! Very Nothingfaceish
The whole album just keep growing and growing for me.

I actually thought it was more Phobos-ish.

It's a grower of an album, more cohesive than Katorz. And hearing Treasure Chase and Global Warning live (with Blower Bass!) made me love those to death.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 08, 2009 14:04     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:

...to death.

Did you mean "to teh death"? haha

--------------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted July 08, 2009 15:03     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Nice! After first listen, Infini > Katorz > Voivod.

Now THAT is good to hear.

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 08, 2009 17:35     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I finally listened to the entire album today. Here's my opinion:

INFINI is an exciting & thrilling musical experience for me up til 'Deathproof'. This song and those following remind me of what I did not like about their two previous efforts. Creatively unchallenging...and subpar for a band who we all knew was way wayyyyyy capable of much more. But every single song prior to DP makes sense in the Voivod tradition. This band finally solidified as a unit....which for me makes his death even more tragic.

Sean
VoivodFan
Member # 24

posted July 09, 2009 07:38     Profile for Sean   Email Sean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

Do all versions of Infini have the maple leaf and fleur de lys too or is it just the canadian version?

When we received the artwork files for the new album, it was missing the files for the CD artwork. When I mentioned it to band management and Away, they suggested we make our own Canadian CD face artwork and management suggested incorporating the Fleur De Lys and maple leaf into it. So I asked our graphics designer to do so with 3 or 4 variants and this was the consensus decision...

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 09, 2009 12:48     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And I think the idea is fuckin' cool as hell and I want a Canadian version...nice work gentleman.

--------------------

Sean
VoivodFan
Member # 24

posted July 09, 2009 17:40     Profile for Sean   Email Sean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If anyone does want to order the Canadian version, here is a link to it in the Sonic Unyon store:
http://www.sonicunyonstore.com/product_info.php?osCsid=qq8mkt1gfh8m5qo66nutqduc76&products_id=2406

Please note, it is the same price with our without a download ($14.99), so if you really want one order the mp3 & CD version...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 09, 2009 18:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I finally listened to the entire album today. Here's my opinion:

INFINI is an exciting & thrilling musical experience for me up til 'Deathproof'. This song and those following remind me of what I did not like about their two previous efforts. Creatively unchallenging...and subpar for a band who we all knew was way wayyyyyy capable of much more. But every single song prior to DP makes sense in the Voivod tradition. This band finally solidified as a unit....which for me makes his death even more tragic.

DAMN... you don't like the last 4!!??!!??

Deathproof does sound like it could have been on either of the last 2 albums. More straight forward with a punk edge but still a pretty cool tune.

Pyramidome grooves and has that heavy classic Voivod vibe. Lyrically it reminds me of something that would fit perfectly on The Outer Limits and would have been a cool title for Away to create a 3-D image of.

Morpheus seems to be a favorite of a lot of people here. To my ears it has a Nothingface feel to the structure of the song... builds, drops, builds, drops, builds, drops. Spacey parts, heavy parts, Love it.

Volcano is just a cool fuckin Motorheadish song that pounds at ya. Just a fun fuckin tune... kinda like Tornado.

--------------------

yawn

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 09, 2009 21:59     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't say there is a weak track, sure DP is the indoctrination song just like X-stream, imo the underbrains need something palatable they can digest.

the whole album is TOL & DH lovers dream...

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted July 10, 2009 10:32     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm surprised that people rate the Voivod (s/t) album last among the Jasonic-era albums. After letting Infini sink in for a few days, I would put it this way for me: Voivod > Infini > Katorz.

For some reason, I just didn't get into Katorz, although I've tried and tried. There are some good tracks, but it feels to me like the most overall generic album from the three. No real stand out track, some catchy ones here and there, but kinda bland in the end. The s/t is not perfect, but tracks like Rebel Robot, The Multiverse and Reactor still manage to put a huge smile on my face after all these years. I can't say I feel like the same about any song off Katorz.

Infini on the other hand has it's own personality, you can hear some DH here, some NFace there, a bit of Phobos here, etc. Like someone else mentionned, to me the album works right until Krap Radio, then it kinda goes downhill for me. I never really liked the slower-paced songs they've made in the last 3 albums, and it hasn't changed on Infini. The stand-out tracks to me are From the Cave, Earthache (groovy as fuck! brilliant...), Global Warning, Treasure Chase and Krap Radio.

Finally, I can't stand Volcano. I dig the opening riff, yep it's very Motorheadish, but then it goes nowhere and feels more like a filler to me. I expect better from Voivod, and although I'm all for simplicity and straight-forward punk songs, this is NOT it. Sorry!

Let the flaming begin

warcorpse
VoivodFan
Member # 1

posted July 10, 2009 10:35     Profile for warcorpse   Email warcorpse     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Putting collectability or sentimental reasons aside, there is not much going on with this CD. Stale sounding rock. I hope that Dan will bring some modern metal ideas to Voivod.
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 10, 2009 18:46     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
for me I am placing this album after TOL, it is the follow up I might have expected and what I've been waiting for. It has a similar recording style as the last 2 releases but it is much different.

stand outs for me are...

Destroy after Reading
Room with a V.U.
From the Cave
Krap Radio

although I like every song even volcano which is kinda fun (deja vu) and sounds so different than the other tracks.

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted July 11, 2009 15:33     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PopMatters Infini critic

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan