my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » "INFINI" (Page 6)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: "INFINI"
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 14, 2009 11:20     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I found the album didn't make a big impact on me right away, but that might be coz I was listening to it in the van for the first few spins. After finally getting a nice relaxing headphones session or 2 with it I must say it's brilliant. Piggy's guitar tone rules. I'd love to know what guitars he used and what amp sim he had, coz it simply sounds badass. Jasonic kick ass all over the album. Great tone and fantastic playing. Away is a drum god, there's no doubt about it. He takes that tiny kit (why so small these days? I like big monster kits though) and does everything to it imaginable. You'd think using a small kit would be limiting for what a drummer can do, but not with Away. Snakes vox are killer. He sounds meaner than ever and that punk edge really suits the Mark III Voivod. I love the album and can't wait to hear some of it live in August.
 |  IP: Logged
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 07, 2009 12:23     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Finally received my vinyl lp's, one black and one grey edition. Damn cool stuff! Tomorrow I will give it a spin on my turntable

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 08, 2009 10:10     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow

What a difference in feeling and vibe it is on Vinyl. It sound much more muddy and it's like all the bassparts are even more clear.

Give your vinyl a spinn!!!

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 08, 2009 15:28     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am listening to Infini right now for the first time.
Just finished 'Destroy After Reading.'

This album is brilliant!'Treasure Chase' on now. I like this!

What a great job Voivod did on this one.

I will now have a shot of Johnny Walker for Piggy and the great work here.

Cheers!

saegeas
VoivodFan
Member # 1071

posted August 09, 2009 22:21     Profile for saegeas   Email saegeas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wtf, was Tom G. Warrior a guest vocalist on Infini?

(convenience cue to 3:00 in A Room With a V.U. on youtube)

Sounds like classic Frost!

"The catastrophes, poison, ... became destruction" hahaha, sounds a lot like old-school TGW. Guess they toured together, could it be a tip of the hat?

Incidentally, what is a V.U.?

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 09, 2009 23:09     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by saegeas:

Incidentally, what is a V.U.?

it could be a computer and internet access.. the Nu Vu

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 10, 2009 04:27     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

... although in Voivod's case, the needle should be in the red.

saegeas
VoivodFan
Member # 1071

posted August 10, 2009 10:03     Profile for saegeas   Email saegeas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Je v-u- remercie. Hatross, you removed the global consciousness links! Maybe if we all concentrate together, we can make that needle enter the red....
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 10, 2009 12:09     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
velvet underground?

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 10, 2009 12:11     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And by the way, I got the vinyl version (grey vinyl) and it looks and sounds absolutely fantabulous!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 10, 2009 16:44     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I prefer this:

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 10, 2009 18:20     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by saegeas:
Je v-u- remercie. Hatross, you removed the global consciousness links! Maybe if we all concentrate together, we can make that needle enter the red....

yeah I thought they were a bit much...

too many connections

besides I am addicted to destroying after re-reading, its a lefty thing

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 10, 2009 18:49     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00001210/01/PCC.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_unconscious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Consciousness_Project

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

cool stuff, even at the tip of the iceberg...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 10, 2009 21:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:
I prefer this:

I'll second the notion of this being the BEST VU image. The King Crimson RED album which is getting released yet again but this time it will be the first of the bands cataloge that will be mixed in 5.1 by Steven Wilson with extra tracks included. A street date of Sept 21 and you know damn well I've got to have that one. The rest of the catalog will follow with ITCOTCK on Oct 12, Lizard on Oct 26 and more next year. These should sound fucking amazing in surround, especially with Wilson doing the mixing.

--------------------

yawn

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted August 11, 2009 00:11     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still have my vinyl copy of Red, purchased decades ago. Almost 3 decades ago, to be exact. If there's a new/improved recording of it coming out soon, I'm all over it.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 11, 2009 14:23     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:
I prefer this:

Me too, actually.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 11, 2009 16:04     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's lots of very rare extras on the new release

quote:
King Crimson's classic 1974 album as it should be heard.

CD: Features the original album, plus three extra tracks (stunning pre-overdub trio versions of Red & Fallen Angel and the full version of Providence).

DVD-A: Features the original album in Hi-Res Stereo and a new 5.1 Surround Sound version by Steven Wilson. This also includes the three additional tracks from the CD, plus Journey to the Centre of the Cosmos, available in Hi-Res Stereo. The trio version of Fallen Angel and the full versions of Providence and Journey to the Centre of the Cosmos are also available in 5.1 Surround Sound.

Video footage: Rarely seen footage from French TV from 1974 featuring performances of Larks’ Tongues in Aspic II, The Night Watch, Lament & Starless.

* Containing new sleeve-notes by Robert Fripp and King Crimson biographer Sid Smith.
* Featuring newly designed booklet with rarely seen photos and other archive material.
* Presented in double Digipack format with outer card slipcase.

1. Red (6:16)
2. Fallen Angel (6:03)
3. One More Red Nightmare (7:10)
4. Providence (8:10)
5. Starless (12:16)

Additionally:

Fallen Angel (trio version)
Red (trio version)
Providence (full version)
Journey To The Centre of the Cosmos

You can preorder it from:

web page

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 11, 2009 18:04     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, I am going to buy the shit out of these KC reissues!

I've never heard those trio versions and have been fiending for some HQ early Crimson video since the beginning of time. Throw in the 5.1 mixes and these are totally drool-worthy.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 11, 2009 20:52     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:

... although in Voivod's case, the needle should be in the red.

well we all know Snake deals in dual entendres and I thought it highly unlikely that the man himself would be singing about drawing a blank in the studio...

If I may say so, I figured my guess was a very vodik guess for me not having read the lyrics.

saegeas
VoivodFan
Member # 1071

posted August 11, 2009 21:55     Profile for saegeas   Email saegeas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:
If I may say so, I figured my guess was a very vodik guess for me not having read the lyrics.

Yes. Or, if not then at least it lead to interesting reading. "vodik", ah. I feel embarrassed that I did have the lyrics (nobody could possibly understand "poison" without lyrics), but didn't bother to read the first half of them which pretty much explains V.U.

On our V.U. and Red theme, how about a little Canadiana: (this would qualify as krap radio, possibly, although they have the odd good rockin tune, like "Voices" and "It's Late" ... take it easy I'm not wearing a flame suit)

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 12, 2009 03:58     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also if you go to this DGM page you can download these Fripp "Exposure" demos tracks for $1 or $2:

DGM

It's like a post '74 King Crimson with John Wetton.

quote:

5 December 1977 Disengage

Notes
“A bit more guitar!” says Phil Collins as he prepares to go through another take of what would turn out to be Disengage. It’s a barbed kind of riff which the players are still getting to grips with as John Wetton’s “I can’t remember the beginning” comment indicates. “No worries” says Fripp has he shows his old band mate the introduction before he counts the three of them in.

One part surgical precision and two parts blunt object, had 1974’s incarnation of Crimson continued this track may not have been a million miles away from what they might have sounded like.

Consisting of four different takes of the same track, we get to hear the anatomy of Disengage as it begins to breath and stretch. It’s interesting to hear each musicians trying out little experiments, pockets, retreats and chancing the occasional headlong thrust as the temperature rises or the inclination takes them.

Not all of it us quite yet under their fingertips so we hear the musicians listening to the parts, their own groove, and the others in the room - though not always in that order. And how about that brief break-out solo from Robert on version 2. Phew! Never mind what might have been - here it is!

Tracks
Disc Number 1
1. Disengage I [PREVIEW] 3.07
2. Disengage II [PREVIEW] 4.04
3. Disengage III [PREVIEW] 2.08
4. Disengage VI [PREVIEW] 3.45
All previews are MP3 192kbps

Personnel
Robert Fripp
John Wetton
Phil Collins

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 12, 2009 19:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WOW... That sounds interesting as hell. I stopped trying to keep up with all the KC live stuff when they started doing all the live downloads. I've purchased a few really good ones and still keep up with all the official King Crimson Collector's Club cd releases (i think #41 is coming out soon!!!)
The Disengage tracks sound like a must have for a whacko like me. I'll be checking them out SOON.

thanks for the info

listening to the previews now (couldn't wait) and they are very cool indeed.

--------------------

yawn

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 13, 2009 03:37     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you click back thorough the dates at the top of the DGM page you can see past releases of other wetton/Fripp stuff from Exposure that will be released in the next yearly collection.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 18, 2009 21:59     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From a review in Decibel by Cosmo Lee:

"They’re of a piece with Katorz. Riffs are raw and meaty, with touches of the abstraction that made earlier Voivod so great. “Destroy After Reading” unspools heady whole tones; “From the Cave” has spiky chromatic trimmings. For being constructed out of riffs recorded years ago, the songs have surprising presence. Still, they could have been presented differently. Some two-note riffs could have been pruned. Prime Voivod reached celestial heights. To hear them slumming as an overqualified garage band is underwhelming. Katorz and Infini could have been edited into one killer album instead of two merely good ones."

I totally agree with this.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 18, 2009 22:13     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
everyone has a right to their opinion, I feel very lucky to have had two releases.

Infini rules period, if peeps think the Vod is supposed to sound all Celtic Frosty or Fields of Nephilimy then they have lost the spirit of what VoiVod is all about, and that is making quality abstract heavy fuckin metal like no one else does \m/

this is very analytical metal, like it or not VoiVod culminated during TOL, I feel this very closely returns to that form more so than Katorz or S/T

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan