my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » "INFINI" (Page 7)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: "INFINI"
saegeas
VoivodFan
Member # 1071

posted August 19, 2009 02:56     Profile for saegeas   Email saegeas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny you say CF and FOTN ... these are the only other bands i've posted about ever anywhere! and yet never has it ever even crossed my mind that FOTN or Voivod sounded like the other, even for a single moment! truly! funny....

And as for CF, the only time I can think of is, strangely, on Infini, esp. the last vocal style in A Room with a V.U.

I had to answer that, the coincidence is too wierd!

I agree with the rest. I prefer Infini above Katorz. There's not much on Katorz that could increase Infini, without making it more Katorzie.

And TOL rules!!! Saw them in 1993 on that tour. (Some people you just can't play it to though.) Wish I'd bought the shirt then; now they go for $150 on eBay. That's the only tour shirt of theirs that had my hometown named on it...

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 19, 2009 22:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I certainly wouldn't want Katorz and Infini edited down into one album, because that would mean there would be some of Piggy's music that I didn't get to hear. As Primus said "They All Can't Be Zingers"... but each song is a piece of Piggy's soul and his creative ability and I'm thrilled that the rest of the band worked so hard to flesh out his demos and create these albums.

So, the Outer Limits shirts are selling for big bucks now? I better stop wearing mine when I run and do yard work before if because one giant armpit stain... where's my Oxyclean and Shout stain remover? It is a kickass shirt. That's why I'd always wear it when I ran on the boardwalk in Ocean City after work.

--------------------

yawn

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted September 18, 2009 06:26     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a review for Infini from a Finnish metal magazine Inferno. It was already published when the album came out but I didn't notice it until now.

"The twelfth and very likely final album from these Canadians is exceptional by nature: it is a disc full of new material, courtesy of the latest recording lineup including Denis "Piggy" D'Amour, the guitarist who passed away four years ago. The album was built on demo recordings Piggy had created at home, but the material is nonetheless solid and the sound familiar.

In fact, Infini seems to outshine the two previous albums, both of which also feature the original Voivod vocalist Denis "Snake"
Belanger. Voivod and Katorz were heavy and clearly metal-oriented albums. The same can be said of Infini in a sense, but at the same time the song material is more diverse, resembling the band's output during their golden years in the late 80s and early 90s. At that time Voivod shifted from cyber-thrash towards strong melodies and a more progressive style.

Infini is not similar to the pop heard on Angel Rat or the superb prog-rock of Nothingface. Still, the disc sounds very spacey, certainly not the least because Piggy's guitar tracks were left untouched and, as a result, they do not form a thick metallic wall of sound. The bass does rumble crunchily in the background, adding a solid foundation to the overall sound, and double bass drums are not absent either. However, the admirable diversity and originality of Voivod are not buried under aggression and heaviness this time.

There is no doubt, starting right from the first track God Phones, that the songs on Infini are worthy of an official release. Even though it is unlikely that any of the 13 songs will be remembered as classics, it would have been a real shame if they had been left gathering dust.

Hats off to the band for this elegant and properly realized gesture towards both the guitarist and the fans. And finally, a massive cannonshot in honour of the one who developed the truly original sound and style of Voivod, Piggy. Send my greetings to the other dimension!"

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted September 18, 2009 18:23     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didnt quite realise how good Infini is until now. Even though i liked it from the start this album has been growing on me ever since. I still listen to it like once a week

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 05, 2009 04:36     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been a bit reluctant to post on this topic, especially since I like Infini very much. I have found though, through many listenings what I feel is missing from the Voivod sound over the last three records, in particular.

While Piggy is certainly the hallmark of the "Voivod sound", don't underestimate Blacky's contribution. His bass lines did not simply mimic the guitar line or thump along with Away's beats. There were serious counter-melodies and secondary rhythms present that played a big part in accentuating what Piggy was doing and further shaped that vast landscape that each song seemed to create for the listener. There are no bass lines like that on the last few records. It's not Jason's style and to me, it makes the songs a little less dimensional.

I've been playing along with the album at home with some Blacky-esque bass lines and I believe "my theory is wise".

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 05, 2009 11:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Nothingface. It was definitely the sum of all parts that made Voivod so damn unique with the original 4, and there was and is a big difference when Blacky left the band. I'm not saying I don't like what Voivod did after he left, it's just that the dynamics were completely different. I always felt Blacky leaving had as much of an impact as when Snake left.

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted October 05, 2009 14:00     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
More than agreed. And it's not just Blacky's playing style, but his actual sound also - There's a lot more bite to it than anything Jason ever had, the attack of his runs are absolutely snarling whereas Jason's sound is much more conventional and "backline" to support the song via root notes. The sonic scope of Blacky's sound is much akin to what Entwistle did with the Who, particularly in live venues - See Townshend talking about the Ox, and you'll get a lot of what's happening w Blacky's sound. I very much wish that he'd gotten the opportunity to play on Infini (and Katorz for that matter - And VOIVOD).

All the best,
PAULIE

PS As a bassist, I have two gods - John Gallagher and Blacky

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted October 07, 2009 20:32     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jason ain't Blacky. Correct, and duly noted. Do you feel the same way about E-force's playing, or whoever the bass player on Outer Limits?

Remember, Jason did not replace Blacky, and there are two other bassists who in Blacky's absence changed Voivod's sound.

Me, I really dug Eric's playing. Whatever you may think about his vox, the guy had a great, sinister tone. Better than the Outer Limits guy, who sounded like a programmable beatbox.

Hmmm...now if you substituted Eric for Jason on these last three albums, that would have kicked much ass. With snake singing...not Eric.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted October 08, 2009 22:47     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShredTilDead:
Jason ain't Blacky. Correct, and duly noted. Do you feel the same way about E-force's playing, or whoever the bass player on Outer Limits?

I have no problems w Eric's playing at all, it was certainly not as creative note-wise as Blacky but still had all of the aggression and forcefulness. I think, if anything, Eric's sound was often a little too overdriven, so his notes sometimes got lost in the fuzz. But yes, I'd have gladly had him on any/all of the last 3 Voivod albums over Jason, absolutely. Vocally, Voivod lost some of the character when Snake left, but I think Eric is EXACTLY what Voivod needed at the time to not only carry on but also to reconnect with the *thrash* (which I once again miss dearly).

I find myself reaching for TOL far more often than AngelRat, Voivod, Katorz, or even Nothingface, though I prefer the bass on AngelRat and Nothingface more than on TOL. It's definitely about the overall writing on that one - Top notch. As for the bass sound on TOL, it was very middle-of-the-road, but it was just what the material needed to let the narratives take center-stage whether presented by Snake or Piggy. Jack L. is unquestionably one of my all-time fave Voivod tunes, but I wouldn't say that the bass necessarily hurt or helped.

Bla bla blar,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 08, 2009 23:56     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember reading that Piggy played bass on TOL.

Eric's playing was okay, but also just rode along with the guitar rhythm.

I also remember reading that Piggy introduced Blacky to the bass (correct me if I'm wrong), and the result was almost akin to a each playing the hand of a concert pianist. Anyway, I ramble.

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted October 10, 2009 07:42     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
I remember reading that Piggy played bass on TOL.

It was a session player, "Pierre St-Jean" who played bass on TOL.

I still think Jason was the second best bass player in Voivod.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 10, 2009 12:04     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pierre's original instrument is the guitar, and he's quite excellent at it. Fun guy to shoot the shit with, too. He's doing well with Alcoholica.

People often forget Gilles Brisebois, who replaced Pierre for a european tour.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 11, 2009 18:36     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:
It was a session player, "Pierre St-Jean" who played bass on TOL.

I still think Jason was the second best bass player in Voivod.

I stand corrected then. I remember Pierre on the tour. Just thought he wasn't on the record.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 12, 2009 12:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think everyone that has been involved with Voivod has been top notch, just very different from each other... kinda like the different players that went through the King Crimson lineup changes. Each one added their own unique touch to the overall sound.

I'm just happy that the band continued on through all the changes and didn't throw in the towel and call it quits. I certainly would never say that I think any of their albums from any line up should not have been released. They are all worthy and important to the catalog that makes up their career.

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 19, 2009 11:35     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
i think everyone that has been involved with Voivod has been top notch, just very different from each other... kinda like the different players that went through the King Crimson lineup changes. Each one added their own unique touch to the overall sound.

I'm just happy that the band continued on through all the changes and didn't throw in the towel and call it quits. I certainly would never say that I think any of their albums from any line up should not have been released. They are all worthy and important to the catalog that makes up their career.

word !!

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted October 19, 2009 16:19     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So now that Voivod has lost it's Fripp, why should it carry on?
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted October 19, 2009 16:25     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Coz they're still enjoying it.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 19, 2009 20:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and they can still make great original music with Dan and chart new territory.

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 19, 2009 22:21     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and it's still 3/4 of the original line-up.
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted October 20, 2009 01:29     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and if those guys don't get in the studio soon, and officially start the New Dan / Return of Blacky era, my head's gonna explode.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 21, 2009 05:20     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
they gotta do it for the fans and for the spirit of the Pigmeister !
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 21, 2009 08:30     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
... and I will never tire of hearing Brain Scan live. Even the Martyr version ;-)
warcorpse
VoivodFan
Member # 1

posted October 26, 2009 09:16     Profile for warcorpse   Email warcorpse     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its all in Dan's hands.
Blacky doesn't know how to write metal songs.
Away needs an energy drink, he started playing AC/DC beats after Phobos.
Snake, well, he rules.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 28, 2009 20:46     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Its all in Dan's hands.
Snake, well, he rules.

I'm gonna call you on the Blacky part. He's what's been missing since 1991.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted October 28, 2009 23:41     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Its all in Dan's hands.
Snake, well, he rules.

blasphemer !

we can talk about this corpse... Jason is out of the picture (but the guys are gonna have to watch their hides, he's learned a thing or two over the years from Lars)

Blacky: (hates americans) though I agree is going to bring something back, after all I was told there was no way this could possibly happen, I have been hoping since waaay before 2000 when I joined the community so I am totally psyched.

Away: (the timekeeper) the drums are legible and they 'roll' in that off beat kinda way. What you want these guys to sound like some Vader shit or something ?

Dan: (under the microscope) I think will do very well because he plays the old material like he feels it, I can tell. He is going to play for us (and Piggy) his guts...

Snake: (supreme deity) like fine wine... and you better avert your gaze when this man walks in the room !

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan