my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » A Discussion: Themes in Extreme Metal (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: A Discussion: Themes in Extreme Metal
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 03, 2004 17:26     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay. So I just read Annki's post in the 'New CDs' thread, and I thought that instead of posting there, it would be good fuel for a good old debate.

Do the themes expressed in certain extreme metal recordings affect the listener or make one a bad person?

From my point of view, fuck no. Load of bollocks. Listening to "Angel of Death" does not make one a Nazi, or a supporter of Nazis, in the same way that listening to Emperor does not make one a church-burning loon. To be honest, I could give two shits about whatever lyrics and themes are expressed by the acts; most lyrics are indecipherable, and they simply aren't important anyway. I don't even read lyric booklets.

The problem lies in people who do take lyrics far too seriously, and the very small minority of racist, neo-fascist fuckwads peddling their twisted beliefs through crap music.

However, as long as the music's good, I couldn't care less if the vocalist is grunting about Mengele's disgusting 'experiments' (Slayer), amputating people in a kitchen (Cryptopsy), invoking demons in a stupid, cartoonesque ceremony (Mayhem) or jumping up and down on Satan's trampoline (Lawnmower Deth).

Sorry if this post is a bit disjointed, but I think you can discern some meaning from it, somehow.

|  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 03, 2004 17:54     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i dont know about lyrics....but how would you feel after youve been jumping up and down on this all day?
http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/108/108175/folders/92034/934203satanstrampoline.jpg

(ps. Grindcrusher rulez)

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 03, 2004 18:33     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Do the themes expressed in certain extreme metal recordings affect the listener or make one a bad person?

From my point of view, fuck no. Load of bollocks. Listening to "Angel of Death" does not make one a Nazi, or a supporter of Nazis, in the same way that listening to Emperor does not make one a church-burning loon. ............... I think you can discern some meaning from it, somehow.

Yes I can.
Listening to the music does NOT make you a bad person. There we agree!

I'll try to explain: Here in Sweden we have some bands that have a direct link to the Neo-Nazi movement, those who sings in swedish about how the "blond" "arayans" are the superior "race" on our planet. In such cases there are some people that will be affected (often young men). Their lyrics are very important both to the bands and to the audience.

I know many of us "metalheads" doesn't listen to the lyrics. I didn't do that when I was younger. Now when I'm an "old fart" lyrics have become of more importance.

I cannot compare Sweden and Norway with other contries, it's well known that we here in scandinavia have a lot of trouble with Neo-Nazis. All this sh*t about "race hygiene" started here in Sweden in the 30's. The Nazis in Germany got many of their ideas from swedish twisted "scientists".

I often have to "stop" myself from "judging" some bands because of the lyrics. I surely needed this reminder from you. Because there is no way I can compare the situation here in sweden/norway to other contries.

I would be grateful if you (young folks) tell me how and if you react on certain lyrics.

I like some "odd" lyrics myself, especially VOIVOD!

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 03, 2004 18:39     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The problem lies in people who do take lyrics far too seriously, and the very small minority of racist, neo-fascist fuckwads peddling their twisted beliefs through crap music.

you hit the nail on the proverbial head. a great many people read way too much into things. if they're somewhat paranoid and/or delusional they think they're uncovering some deep hidden meaning in words that were probably quickly penned before a recording session or written with a degree of humour. i think it's a copout to blame the written word or any art for people's actions. imo the responsibilty lies with the individual even if they claim a personal relationship to art as an influence for certain actions or behaviour.

nice photo thong. lol.

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 03, 2004 19:00     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xXniaXx:
you hit the nail on the proverbial head. a great many people read way too much into things.............

When the Neo-N have their festivities here in sweden the lyrics in the music is very important to them. There is no hidden meaning in these lyrics, they have a very clear message.
But as you say; The responsbility is personal for every induvidual.
Some of those who has been "members" in Neo-N told me about how they just got in to it in their early teens and later, if they wanted to leave the "organisation" they were often threatened to stay "or something would happen". Sorry to tell you that there have been assainations among these.

We have a special aid for those who want to leave, 'cos it ain't easy for them to deal with it themselves.

--------------------

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 03, 2004 19:41     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so annki if the lyrics are explicit then young people who join up with neo-nazis do it with the knowledge of what the social agenda of that group is. those who say they didn't know how hard it would be to get out can't be serious, it's more likely that they never thought that they might want to leave some day (youthful ignorance). i don't think any song or band can convince someone to become a neo-nazi. even though there are a lot of social pressures on kids to belong to a group, there has to be something more than music to draw them in.
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 03, 2004 20:04     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xXniaXx:
....... those who say they didn't know how hard it would be to get out can't be serious, it's more likely that they never thought that they might want to leave some day (youthful ignorance). i don't think any song or band can convince someone to become a neo-nazi......

I have to agree with you, there has to be more yhan music to drag them into it.

I think I react like I do because some of our scandinavian bands sell their records abroad, although the band sings in Swedish/norwegian.
I've never looked for hidden messages in lyrics as I know many "religious" folks do. Hmmm, I bought Black Sabbath's first when it was released, my mom was terrified...
...and just look what's become of me!

No, I have to admitt I'm kind of "extra sensitive" because my daughter (12 yrs) has got a "light brown" skin colour and some people here in sweden label her as "halfbreed" and ........ yeah, I'm a mother and I love her and I don't want her to get hurt because of her skin-colour.
Know I can be a real pest, what's my excuse? I live in sweden and things are getting more harsh.

But I can't keep myself off from Metal and Voivod.........

--------------------

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 03, 2004 21:26     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I was most influenced by the 70's.
I had two kids in the 80's and one kid -92. I spent most of my time raising my kids, so the "music" had to "wait".
I have so much catching up to do now. I'm always very curious about the "thras rips" thread. I'm glad it's there, I have missed a lot during the years.

Now I have time to listen to "my kind of music"... friends an same age as me thinks I'm a real lunatic, as I like Metal, I don't care what they think.

You all on this forum seems to be professionals, guess if I feel stupid sometimes, like; here comes that amateur.. Yeah, i have a lot to learn. Just because I'm over 40 doesn't mean I know evreything. MUSIC; I learn from my kids and on the forum.

Add: Of course I like the Voivod lyrics and a lot of other bands too.

- "MetalMonsterMom"...

--------------------

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted March 04, 2004 00:21     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The music and the lyrics are secondary to the actions of actual people.
Young people can be greatly coersed into becoming part of something that has a truly bad quality and be oblivious to it and getting out CAN be difficult.

...but as far as lyrics are concerned...I would not want to hang out with people who listened to racists music...."Satanic" music is different. I think you have more room there to not nessessarily interperate whats therein as completely bad.

Unless of course its Manson you're talking about ...not that his lyrics make that much sense...at least not the ones he is solely responsible for because imo, its just crap coming out of his diseased mind...but anyone who might wonder what my dislike for Manson consists of is that he has money and influence and he is so far gone, somebody needs to take it away from him. This has nothing to do with his music or his bandmates. after coming to the conclusion that he is insane I even continued to try to listen to his music because I had once liked it so much...It never had anything to do with his music. Nowadays...the music is not nearly as deep as I once felt it to be...thats why I stopped listening. I really don't think it had that much influence on anything BY ITSELF.....now....on the other hand.
The campy-horror lifestyle he lives is what bothers me most. He can get away with alot of shit because of what is in his bank account. He can pull alot of strings. He can do alot of shit to people and no one would ever know it. Why would he personally fuck with people?
Anyones guess is as good as mine, but in my humble opinion, the man is deranged.
He's in a frightening posistion to be as inately destructive and manipulative as he is...but then again...thats how he got there and thats no coincidence. I think he went on a power trip with the mind to change things and make a name for himself and know he's losing his...um....what do you call it?....Rapture?..Image? Its a power thing.
Seemingly harmless he is deadly mischeivious.

...but anyway....enough of my opinion of him. He will fade away hopefully and quit making mischeif and when he does I'll quit putting my 2 cents in. Thats all for now.

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 04, 2004 01:57     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charon:
...but as far as lyrics are concerned...I would not want to hang out with people who listened to racists music...."Satanic" music is different. I think you have more room there to not nessessarily interperate whats therein as completely bad.

Unless of course its Manson you're talking about ...not that his lyrics make that much sense...at least not the ones he is solely responsible for because imo, its just crap coming out of his diseased mind......................

I never did care if the music I listen to is labelled as satanical. When so much horrible things are done in the name of religion it is just a "healthy" reaction to become an ateist.

Blind Guardian, Queensryche, Clash, Raw Power, Sword, SYL, Soilwork, Slayer, Death Angel, Alice Cooper, Fear Factory, Cronos,Maiden, Priest Megadeath........ it's a long list, ( I haven't even mentioned bands like Scorpions and Thin Lizzy) maybee some are labelled as some kind of "satanical" music. It makes no difference, this is the music I like and the music I listen to.

As for Marilyn Manson, I've not listen to more than a couple of tracks with him. He wanted some attention and of course, the way he looks, he got it. Can't say I know much about him. I remember how horrified people were about Alice Cooper in the beginning, I've always liked his music and today he seems kind of harmless if you compare him with Marylin......

No I'm not concerned about different "labels" in the music industry, Me and my 2 oldest (22 and 20 yrs) kids have some friends that struggle on trying to get somwhere with their music, metal of course (get more than "local" apperences).

I think I'm gonna sit "headbanging" in the "old folks home" when I get really old. That could be fun, just the picture it...

--------------------

GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted March 10, 2004 17:14     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In metal how come when people sing against Christianity most people will tolerate this but when someone sings against Judaism or other religions they get labeled as neo-nazis or fascists or whatever? I think double standard here.

--------------------

www.molokovellocet.com

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 10, 2004 22:53     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So glad to see Annki back here. Sure did miss her. As far as the topic, yes, I can totally relate to some lyrics; necrophilia , for example. So the lyrics are important to me.
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 11, 2004 07:46     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Gene Simmons said it best when he said "I want to put my log in your fireplace".
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 11, 2004 11:37     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll second Lyc on this one: fuck lyrics, gimme riffs.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 11, 2004 14:06     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another question: why are satanism and necrophilia only treated in metal music? Why isn't there satanic folk music or adult contemporary music about rectal torture? Just imagine a pop song with Carcass-style lyrics or Cenile Dion singing about worshipping Satan...
\m/

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted March 11, 2004 16:42     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldorrröööaaarrr:
Another question: why are satanism and necrophilia only treated in metal music? Why isn't there satanic folk music or adult contemporary music about rectal torture? Just imagine a pop song with Carcass-style lyrics or Cenile Dion singing about worshipping Satan...
\m/

For several examples, check out The Cramps, or the Meteors... But I agree they're not as explicit as some metal bands.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 14, 2004 15:35     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who the h*ll needs lyrics about blood and murder and all kind of terrible sh*t when the real world is so cruel.....

Bands who just screaming out disgusting words....

Madrid te quiero

Ten bombs exploded last Thursday morning, March the 11th, in different local trains around Madrid. At that moment, most of these trains were filled with people from the poorest areas in Madrid. A large number of them were immigrants from Eastern Europe and Latin America. The blasts resulted in 200 dead and 1400 injured.

Who needs lyrics about murder, blood and violence......

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 15, 2004 02:56     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was going to argue, I wrote a long post, then I pressed backspace. Now you are left with this hollow husk of an afterthought. Enjoy.
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 15, 2004 09:49     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A hollow husk ? Emptiness, yes.... Afterthoughts, do I have any?
No, I don't enjoy this.

I just gave my PERSONAL view! I don't say everybody elses opinions are wrong!

My post above was about my own personal view on lyrics at the moment.

AND I'm still not trying to blame
"dark/black/what ever" lyrics for what happens around us!

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 15, 2004 11:19     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, i said that my own post was a hollow afterthought, not yours. Unless that was your point, and I'm just getting mroe confused by the day.
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 15, 2004 13:45     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
No, i said that my own post was a hollow afterthought, not yours......

I understood that you left your post for afterthoughts.

(hollow = empty ?)

husk =I found 3 different explanations in my on line "slang" dictionary.
1. The outer membranous or green envelope of some fruits or seeds, as that of a walnut or an ear of corn.
2. A shell or outer covering, especially when considered worthless.
3. A framework serving as a support.

hollow husk = "empty shell of"
confusing, yes!

Shame on me, I'm supposed to "know" the meaning of all those fancy words! *sigh*

--------------------

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted March 16, 2004 18:08     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lyrics can be whatever they want - it is the actions of a person that defines them.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 17, 2004 01:07     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Up until about ten or so years ago I couldn't care less about what the lyrics to a song were. I didn't even try to understand what the singer was trying to say.

For some reason I started really listening to the narration and how the music would weave around the words and words weave around the music. I think lyrics are somewhat important if there is a definite message the band is trying to convey.

I have actually been sucked into music several times to where it sets the tone for how I might act for a while. I have been obsessed with bands (Voivod included, of course) to where I started basing what I thought and felt around certain bands. Music can initiate actions. Music can consume someone.

--------------------

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 17, 2004 03:13     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Nuclear", you explained what I was trying to express in my "swede-english", very confusing way.

I could never had said it better myself!

Thanks.....!

--------------------

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 22, 2004 09:01     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would argue that you can't really separate the conceptual underpinnings of art (including lyrics) from its execution (in this case, the music itself).

I don't think, for instance, that you could have substantially altered the worldview expressed by Slayer or Varg Vikernes and still ended up with Hell Awaits or Hvis lyset tar oss.

I would go further and suggest that people who appreciate art at more than a social level (and I would say that applies to a greater or lesser extent to most people who enjoy non-mainstream artforms) do so because the art they enjoy resonates with them at a conceptual level.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan