my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » A Discussion: Themes in Extreme Metal (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Author Topic: A Discussion: Themes in Extreme Metal
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 22, 2004 14:44     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I must admit that i like Britney's latest song.
There are such rich Hindu Music influences in it.

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 22, 2004 15:05     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Planetary Eulogy:
Music is meant to be enjoyed with the mind. Otherwise, it's just entertainment. You might as well listen to Britney at that point.

Bach's 'Minuet in G' (for instance) relies on nothing but the pure emotion that the keys of the piano or the strings of the violin can provoke. If someone is moved by the chord progression of what you consider to be 'mindless entertainment', should they convince themselves that they are actually NOT moved because there was not much thought behind the composition of the song?

Music is emotion - pure and simple at it's very heart, even the most complex compositions. Venting anger, provoking laughter, sharing inspiration. You're moved or you're not.

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 22, 2004 15:12     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
Bach's 'Minuet in G' (for instance) relies on nothing but the pure emotion that the keys of the piano or the strings of the violin can provoke. If someone is moved by the chord progression of what you consider to be 'mindless entertainment', should they convince themselves that they are actually NOT moved because there was not much thought behind the composition of the song?

Music is emotion - pure and simple at it's very heart, even the most complex compositions. Venting anger, provoking laughter, sharing inspiration. You're moved or you're not.

Emotion is an intuitive intellectual response to internalized ideals. Anything which can truly excite passion is worth understanding.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 22, 2004 15:12     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who fucking cares.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 22, 2004 15:43     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Who fucking cares.

I'll second that DLCM.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 22, 2004 15:45     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Who fucking cares.

You're the one who wanted to argue the point.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 22, 2004 15:48     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Music is art, not ideology - the two are separate. When listening to Burzum's Det Som Engang Var for instance the very last thing that is on my mind is the ideologial mindset of the artist, Varg Vikernes. Such music makes me think of things far away from my real life. All this silly posturing, politics, world events, everything becomes meaningless. This is the same for all music I like, be it the melancholy 'Adagio For Strings' written by Samuel Barber, the beautiful ambience of Enya, or the sheer musical demolition hammer that is Nile. For me music transcends boundaries, crosses over faiths, unites people and ignores race. With Burzum I enjoy the music (well, except the ambient trips Daudi Baldrs and Hlidskjalf) but I steer well clear of Varg's ideology, which I find nauseating, childish and a bit too Tolkeinesque to be taken seriously.

Music and ideology. Two separate entities, and that's exactly how it should stay.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 22, 2004 15:53     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And, again, I would argue that you are unconciously responding to aspects of the worldview encapsulated in Burzum's music which resonate with your own values. Don't make the mistake of reducing ideology to political expression or a checklist of beliefs.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 22, 2004 17:11     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knickerzohnonnof:
Music is art, not ideology - the two are separate.

Music and ideology. Two separate entities, and that's exactly how it should stay.

But what about Christian Music?
I certainly cannot listen to it, because i hate the message in it.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 22, 2004 17:30     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PE...I cannot agree with you on this...I will always regard them as separate entities. I just do not see it as healthy to combine ideolgy with music.

Kula...Hymns are a form of music and ideology that I loathe, perfectly demonstrating my point. The two should be kept separate.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 22, 2004 17:32     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Art comes from the Artists Ideaology and views of the world as they see it.

I'm not so sure its possible to seperate the two.
There would be nothing left but Instrumentals and blank Canvas to look at.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 22, 2004 17:39     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to disagree...I think the two need to be separate. Ideology will invariably attract political or religious innuendo, thus my belief on this.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 22, 2004 17:57     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonxonx:
ideology is nothing. Just a moniker invented by mind-manipulating rulers and propagandists to control people, replacing what's truly an part of human beings - the world view. Music relates to the world view, not ideology. Replacing a world view with ideology is like tying a person to the bed of Procrustes.

That's pretty much as I see it too...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 22, 2004 18:09     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Semantics

"Worldview" and "ideology" are synonyms.

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 22, 2004 20:16     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes. For those people who can't tell the difference.

There is no difference to tell, you're drawing distinctions that exist only in phrasing and have nothing to do with reality. It's 12 inches or a foot.

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 23, 2004 09:22     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes. For those people who can't tell the difference.

Hey "hex" you are right.

In the science of behaviour you can use different approaches when you are doing a reserch on a given issue. I can use different methods when I' m supposed to do a reserch in how other scientists approach any given issue.

There can be a distiction between the words worldview and ideology, it all depends on how the individual interpret those words.

Right or wrong. True or false. That is a method that scientist rarely use when they do a reserch in linguistic. They often use a different approach.

As those "creatures" are not individuals they can not comprehend the distiction, because to them almost everything have to be true or false.

Pfft. I prefer to use a somewath "common" language. Don't think we need these "orgies" in all kinds of "fancy" words.

"Creatures" don't impress me with their "bleah" fancy words and "philosophic" bullsh*t.

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted May 20, 2004 22:45     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Overanalyzing music KILLS the spirit of music.

Yes, but what if there was a subliminal message in a song speaking to your subconscious telling you -

"Slit granny's throat !"

And then you went and did it, because you
thought you heard those words,
(and let's say you really hate granny to start with) and acted on it.

Now, whether or not you believe in mind
control, brainwashing, or subliminal control
like suggestion, it may seem rare or
unexplained, but it is possible.

I'm not saying Bocifous and Jack Daniels
make red-necks in the trailer park visualize
thier wives "cheatin' hearts" but booze
and country music can drive you insane !

Another question concerning Emperor
(and art) would be -

Can you respect the artist apart from the art
itself ?

If the guy is an asshole who wants to lynch
minorities or homosexuals, should he still
be recognized for imagery/sounds he creates ?

William S. Borroughs, was a heroin junkie,
sexual deviant who tried to murder his wife
in a drug craze does that make him automatically null and void as a writer?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 21, 2004 01:08     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ozzy tried to kill his wife in a drunken craze by strangling her but does that take away from the fact that she was screwing Bob Daisley on the side and making him wear her lingerie?

--------------------

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted May 21, 2004 04:37     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Number 6:
But what about Christian Music?
I certainly cannot listen to it, because i hate the message in it.

Are you referring to the mighty Stryper?

To the point now : Don't really care about the message really. Been listening to Carcass for instance since my very early teens, but I never had the urge to 'exhume and consume'. Also listen to stuff like Carnivore. Doesn't mean I agree with their ideas though.

neoclassical
VoivodFan
Member # 433

posted May 21, 2004 07:40     Profile for neoclassical   Email neoclassical     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Oh, wow, the tired individualist argument. And who didn't see THIS coming?

Music is not just a chord progression, or a rhythm, when it gets to a certain level of complexity. It's an overall sensation created by immersion in all of its techniques, which are picked deliberately to give a context made of impressions.

Bach's music, as Beethoven's, rings with European culture

Regarding an NS pop band, I think they have them. If you go to Resistance.com, I'm sure you can find some.

Personally, I refuse to polemicize against pop as a whole, as many of the bands have musical ideals with which I agree - although, strangely, these bands rarely make it to radio. However, I'm keeping my REM and Filter CDs

--------------------

http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001471

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan