my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Reviews for Target Earth thread (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Author Topic: Reviews for Target Earth thread
Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted January 24, 2013 08:24     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just bought the record yesterday, second spin and I'm truly digging this shit!!!! I couldn't stop thinking about The Outer Limits, has anyone felt the same? I hear everyone naming Nothingface, Dimension Hatröss, but, fuck, to me it has A LOT of TOL!!! THANKS VOIVOD!!!!

--------------------

I AM THE WAY!!!

|  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 24, 2013 09:28     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gerfat:
Just bought the record yesterday, second spin and I'm truly digging this shit!!!! I couldn't stop thinking about The Outer Limits, has anyone felt the same? I hear everyone naming Nothingface, Dimension Hatröss, but, fuck, to me it has A LOT of TOL!!! THANKS VOIVOD!!!!

Empathy for the Ennemy and Warchaic are very TOL!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 24, 2013 09:45     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Target Earth: vintage Voivod. I couldn't ask for more.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 24, 2013 09:48     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
I love Chewy's guitar tones on the album: not to much gain, lots of mids, very "woody" and clear. And the solos? They blow me away. His soloing style reminds me of Marty Friedman and Alan Holdsworth.

I think it's nice that, even if Chewy obviously follows on Piggy's steps, he manages to put his own mark on his solos.

Voivod is in capable hands, that's for sure. Been listening to it nonstop since Sunday, rubbing my hands waiting for that boxset to arrive (a Voivod belt, dammit!!!).

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 24, 2013 10:55     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Target Earth has arrived! I carried the unopened box around the house with loving care, set it on the counter and admired it as I fed the animals. Then, I took Keeves on her doggie walk, came home ate dinner, went to yoga, came home and made a cuppa hot tea, readied my bed, UNWRAPPED the Beast Within, lovingly handled all of the swag (grinning like a fuckin' idiot the entire time), plugged in the wireless headphones, as I laid down I pressed play and VOILA! Michel, Jean-Yves, Denis and Dan: It's beyond anything I had in mind. One of the first things that popped in my head was, "man, they are enjoying the fuck outta themselves" and further Into the Hypercube, I thought, "man, I cannot wait to check out the lyrics". Reminded me of all of those times listening to Hatross on cassette and singing along with Snake all the way through. Beginning to End, Target Earth hurdles along in a classic Voivod fashion. At no point did I think this was possible, and I'm not even sure why really. Congratulations VOIVOD! I just wish I had all of you fuckers, my VoivodFan Familia, around while I first listened to it. Now. Let's hear about that tour supporting the Greatness that is TARGET EARTH. We Voivod Fans need an excuse to hang out again. Cheers and TO THE DEATH!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

tsawyerfam
VoivodFan
Member # 992

posted January 24, 2013 13:44     Profile for tsawyerfam   Email tsawyerfam     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Remember when we thought this record would never be made? The one that should have been? Its truly amazing and I have only quick breaks of listening to other stuff here or there. Its an amazing accomplishment and a gift to all of us voivodians around the world. VOIVOD LIVES!
Imran
VoivodFan
Member # 197

posted January 24, 2013 21:18     Profile for Imran   Email Imran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm in love.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 24, 2013 23:03     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imran:
I'm in love.

I almost wrote the exact same thing.

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted January 24, 2013 23:31     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My review is this;

Fucking WOW. Please tell me Voivod is doing a US tour this year!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 25, 2013 00:55     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A very Great album in all respects! But as far as the drums are concerned, the snare isn't doing it for me at all in the majority of the songs. It needed to "cut" through better than it does, imo. It sounds triggered and for the most part, in the background where it shouldn't be. Otherwise, it's an amazing comeback-story for Voivod!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted January 25, 2013 00:58     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My review is, as a long-time Voivod fan, I can honestly say this is the best Voivod record since 1989, and for me, easily is up there with among Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, and Nothingface. It could be their #1, #2, #3, or #4 best record. Keep it up guys. Quite unreal, thanks!
B.U.C.O.
VoivodFan
Member # 1299

posted January 25, 2013 04:13     Profile for B.U.C.O.   Email B.U.C.O.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Amazing album! Love the vocals, Snake really outdid himself, he sounded kinda lazy on the last few albums imo but now he's back with full force. Dan and Blacky are an awesome writing tandem and Dan's solos have so much ''Piggy feel'' to them, while being way more technical and totally his own at the same time. I love it!

--------------------

Flicker, flicker, flicker, flap, POW!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 25, 2013 19:05     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BLASPHEMERS! there will be no comparing this album

though I can see how tracks 3 & 6 have that TOL vibe. Snake does sound excellent...

Imran
VoivodFan
Member # 197

posted January 25, 2013 22:39     Profile for Imran   Email Imran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatröss:
BLASPHEMERS! there will be no comparing this album

though I can see how tracks 3 & 6 have that TOL vibe. Snake does sound excellent...

I could be wrong but it seems like the more you listen to this the more you like it, yes?

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 26, 2013 08:47     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imran:
I could be wrong but it seems like the more you listen to this the more you like it, yes?

not to say I didn't like it from the start, i'm just being silly....I have probably listened to it over 50 times by now

SpeeDDemoN
VoivodFan
Member # 669

posted January 27, 2013 11:13     Profile for SpeeDDemoN   Email SpeeDDemoN     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The vynil sounds like a ton of bricks, what a great album. What a great day to be a voivodian !!!

--------------------

only flowers remain...flowers to step on...flowers to burn...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 28, 2013 12:25     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod albums don't fuck on a first date. You need to take them out a few times and wine and dine them to get the best out of them. I'm saving my review until I catch a glimpse of her lacy undergarments!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 28, 2013 13:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Voivod albums don't fuck on a first date. You need to take them out a few times and wine and dine them to get the best out of them. I'm saving my review until I catch a glimpse of her lacy undergarments!

I guess I'm an easy cheap date because Target Earth had me at the opening with the low end blower bass, and the next thing I knew I was naked and being taken advantage of over & over again... luckily there was no video to be uploaded to youtube

--------------------

yawn

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted January 29, 2013 02:01     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I guess I'm an easy cheap date because Target Earth had me at the opening with the low end blower bass, and the next thing I knew I was naked and being taken advantage of over & over again... luckily there was no video to be uploaded to youtube

OMG, there goes my breakfast again....

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 29, 2013 09:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sorry DBC

I've allowed Target Earth to continuously seduce me since day one; although I don't find the desire to alert the authorities... I guess I love what it does to me.

--------------------

yawn

collpaser
VoivodFan
Member # 820

posted January 30, 2013 09:40     Profile for collpaser   Email collpaser     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What can I say about Target Earth that hasn't already been said?

The first song on the record pretty much blew me away. I listened to it on my headphones and couldn't believe that a band that has lost a integral member, gained their original bass player back after a 20 some year recording layoff and the addition of a new guitar player, could put out something so fresh and amazing. Not that I had doubts, but this rarely happens.

Snake's vocal performance is simply stellar.

These guys are an anomoly in the most positive sense of the word. Kudos for creating/recording such an amazing record.

As a 28 year fan of Voivod, I'm in awe of this group again.

CHEERS!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 30, 2013 12:49     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Much has already been said, but this release really establishes what I can only hope is a new era for Voivod. Like the classic eras of the band, every member plays a crucial role in shaping the feel of the record.

The biggest shift for me was the return to an outword/forward view, both musically and lyrically. The band seems interested in exploration again, and that makes my brain tingle in that special Voivod way. A rare return to form for a band 30 years into their career.

And kudos to band and Century Media for FINALLY giving us diehard fans some Voivod deluxe edition releases as an option this time around.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 31, 2013 06:01     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
pretty great review here:

Spin

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

VIVID
VoivodFan
Member # 1353

posted January 31, 2013 07:40     Profile for VIVID   Email VIVID     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, i cant quite beleive it either, the record is amazing,there is not a bad song on it. Does anybody think Defiance is short as its going to lead in to the next album, when i saw the band in London at the end of last year i got to meet all the guys for the second time which is lucky, i also got the a copy of the set list signed by all the band also for the second time,i was talking to blacky about the album and he said to me he had about 17 songs written for another album, no B.S!!, i was like holy shit really so it makes me wonder if this album will lead into the next? maybe Defiance reprise!!
An amazing album which i did not think i would see,defo like The Outer Limits.

--------------------

vivid \W/

phobos777
VoivodFan
Member # 1275

posted January 31, 2013 07:51     Profile for phobos777   Email phobos777     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VIVID:
Yeah, i cant quite beleive it either, the record is amazing,there is not a bad song on it. Does anybody think Defiance is short as its going to lead in to the next album, when i saw the band in London at the end of last year i got to meet all the guys for the second time which is lucky, i also got the a copy of the set list signed by all the band also for the second time,i was talking to blacky about the album and he said to me he had about 17 songs written for another album, no B.S!!, i was like holy shit really so it makes me wonder if this album will lead into the next? maybe Defiance reprise!!
An amazing album which i did not think i would see,defo like The Outer Limits.

Hi Vivid, i think you're right with Defiance, it is the same like Venom did on the Black Metal album - last song as an introduction for the forthcoming new album. I'm hardly waiting for the next album by mighty Voivod

btw - Target Earth is an outstanding stunning album, like Voivod ever was, is and will be!!!!
The sound of the vinyl is still blowing me away, still waitin for the Japan cd. Well, the box is amazing,if you need the inserts or not, and yeah i think there is a lot money making from the company's side, at least i hope that Voivod will see some good money of this - so i spend all my money in Target Earth - done

Greets
Michael \m/

--------------------

Inside a giant particle accelerator,a beam of protons,traveling at near the speed of light meets a beam of antiprotons moving equally fast in the opposite direction.The protons and mirror-image antiprotons annihilate each other,creating the fiery chaos of a parallel micro-galaxy.Experiment one complete,the VOIVOD goes into that new dimension,meeting different civilisations and psychic entities,extracting knowledge and energy in the eight programs of this project called: D I M E N S I O N H A T R Ö S S

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan