my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Reviews for Target Earth thread (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Author Topic: Reviews for Target Earth thread
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 31, 2013 13:39     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VIVID:
Does anybody think Defiance is short as its going to lead in to the next album...

Sound like it's exactly that. Check out this quote from Away. Very cool!

“It's because it's the first track of the next album,” explains Michel, on the quick start and fade of album closer ‘Defiance’, in scarcely a minute-and-a-half. “We have a lot of touring next year, but in between tours, we want to write new material. It's actually a lot like what VENOM did for Black Metal and At War With Satan... which I always thought was great! Blacky, came up with the idea of doing that for Target Earth.”

The full interview is on Bravewords.com and found it on Voivod.com.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted January 31, 2013 17:32     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The strength of this album's material tells me that the band has a lot of mileage left in it.

How many other bands can you name that have put out such a earnest and relevant record (to their style at least), 30 years down the road?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 31, 2013 18:51     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It arrived!!!!
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 31, 2013 19:12     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
It arrived!!!!

Awesome review!

--------------------

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 31, 2013 21:08     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:
Awesome review!

The best, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 31, 2013 21:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
The strength of this album's material tells me that the band has a lot of mileage left in it.

How many other bands can you name that have put out such a earnest and relevant record (to their style at least), 30 years down the road?

You mean other than Metallica, right? Ha ha ha ha ha ha . I'm so fucking funny. I think Overkill has been one of the most consistent thrash bands that was around back in the day. No "Load / Reload or Risk" album no long hiatus, just pure Overkill thrash year after year. Granted, they're not on the same level as VOIVOD, who I would compare more to King Crimson or Tool in regards to thinking outside the box and being unique.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 01, 2013 10:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First impressions:

This is the sequel to the Outer Limits! Really hear it in Snake's vocal lines.......

One thing I noticed immediately was the production. Extremely warm and inviting...like your ears are biting into the most delicious orange you've ever tasted....I don't know how to put this into words.

VIVID
VoivodFan
Member # 1353

posted February 01, 2013 10:30     Profile for VIVID   Email VIVID     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Sound like it's exactly that. Check out this quote from Away. Very cool!

“It's because it's the first track of the next album,” explains Michel, on the quick start and fade of album closer ‘Defiance’, in scarcely a minute-and-a-half. “We have a lot of touring next year, but in between tours, we want to write new material. It's actually a lot like what VENOM did for Black Metal and At War With Satan... which I always thought was great! Blacky, came up with the idea of doing that for Target Earth.”

The full interview is on Bravewords.com and found it on Voivod.com.

thanks X-D, cant believe how i came up with that idea but it turned out to be true, talking of dreams coming true...Target Earth

--------------------

vivid \W/

phobos777
VoivodFan
Member # 1275

posted February 01, 2013 10:45     Profile for phobos777   Email phobos777     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phobos777:
Hi Vivid, i think you're right with Defiance, it is the same like Venom did on the Black Metal album - last song as an introduction for the forthcoming new album. I'm hardly waiting for the next album by mighty Voivod

btw - Target Earth is an outstanding stunning album, like Voivod ever was, is and will be!!!!
The sound of the vinyl is still blowing me away, still waitin for the Japan cd. Well, the box is amazing,if you need the inserts or not, and yeah i think there is a lot money making from the company's side, at least i hope that Voivod will see some good money of this - so i spend all my money in Target Earth - done

Greets
Michael \m/

So, vivid, we both thought the same - hahaha, great, Thnx to X-D for the quote from Away!!!!!!

@schroeder: OVERKILL - you're damn right!!!!!

Greets
Michael \m/

--------------------

Inside a giant particle accelerator,a beam of protons,traveling at near the speed of light meets a beam of antiprotons moving equally fast in the opposite direction.The protons and mirror-image antiprotons annihilate each other,creating the fiery chaos of a parallel micro-galaxy.Experiment one complete,the VOIVOD goes into that new dimension,meeting different civilisations and psychic entities,extracting knowledge and energy in the eight programs of this project called: D I M E N S I O N H A T R Ö S S

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 01, 2013 11:30     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You crack me the fuck up newclear infusion, hahaha.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted February 01, 2013 13:30     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
First impressions:
This is the sequel to the Outer Limits! Really hear it in Snake's vocal lines.......

Another one "This is the sequel to..."
What's funny is how everybody compares TE to one (and usually ONLY one) of the previous albums. I saw it being compared to everything between KT and Negatron.
What I hear though, is that ALL these comparisons are valid. I hear Negatron heaviness when it's heavy, Nothingface intricacy when it becomes intricate, at times that spacy feel and groove of TOL comes through, some melodies and many solos straight from AR...
Yet with all these references to days past, it's an album of its own. A rather good one at that.

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 01, 2013 13:58     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally agree with ya Hex that TE is it's own entity like most Voivod albums are, but I think when someone tries to describe the album the best way to do so is by comparing it to their past accomplishments. There's obviously a Dimension Hatross & Nothingface feel primarily because of Blacky being back; but, (like you mentioned) there's also the feel of all their other albums but evolved into this massive masterpiece epic of an album. I almost wish this was a double album so I wouldn't have to wait so long to hear what Defiance becomes.
This album has totally set me into obsessive collector mode, if you couldn't tell. I must have everything VOIVOD that I can afford to get my greedy hands and eyes and ears on. Good thing I'm getting a tax return. What better way to spend some of it!!!

--------------------

yawn

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted February 01, 2013 14:20     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...Before I put this up, I really wanted to immerse myself in this project from beginning to end,requiring
multiple listens so I can give an honest and very enthusiastic appraisal...also I wanted to come up with my own feelings while hopefully steering clear of obvious comparisons that have been done already ...of course,with Voivod's long history, I wanted to incorporate some subtle nods to familiar terrain they blazed across then completely scorched in their continuous exploration of sonic "simulacrum on the updown/side up reality" sonorities...I will have to post this in episodic installments due to time issues now...will continue soon...

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted February 02, 2013 03:19     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been listening to this record nearly non-stop for over a week now. Instantly, I wanted to start spewing all sorts of comparisons and heaping praise on the album, but I figured I should wait til I had a fair amount of listens before I really weighed in on it.

To get the obvious out of the way; "which previous Voivod record does this album sound most like?" At this point, I'd have to say all of them and none of them. During each of the first dozen or so listens, I would feel each and every moment in the Voivod catalog reach out and tap me on the forehead. After a while, I started to hear the songs as hybrids of two or more previous records. As the week progressed and I logged more hours under this record, those blends began to fade. Then, I took a day off from listening.

When I came back to it, I started to hear what it's really about. Target Earth is Voivod in 2013. Somehow, every era of Voivod has melded into these ten songs to create both a new path for the band, and in its own way a sort of "Best Of" album.

Over the years, I've heard people say they were fans of particular eras of the band's material, but not so much of others. Therein lies the magic of Target Earth. Whether your favorite album is Rrroooaaarrr or Angel Rat, I doubt that Target Earth will have trouble nearing the top of any Voivod fan's list of their best records.

The mood swings presented here are as manic as anything they've ever done. Snake sounds like Snake again! There's only one throat capable of tying all this chaos together with a voice you can actually understand. His lyrical cadence and sense of counter-melody are vastly underrated. Imagine the challenge of setting convincing lyrics and mood to the songs on this album. I can imagine it was a fiercely daunting task, at best.

Throughout the first five records, the Blower Bass has found moments to shine and establish itself as the perfect counterpart to the power, precision, and masterful grace of Piggy's work. Once Blacky was gone, there was a void that was just never properly filled. Target Earth may very well be the best evidence of how vital Blacky has always been to the Voivod sound. If The Outer Limits is Piggy's spotlight moment, I believe that Target Earth will be Blacky's equivalent.

Thirty years later, Away is still as solid as ever. Mixing the flurried attack of his early style with his later jazz-fueled airiness seems so effortless. There are several styles on display here, and unless you are paying close attention, he's not gonna let you know where the seams are.

I don't think many would argue that Dan wasn't in a very enviable position going into this record. Obviously, the fans have been squarely behind him since '08, but this was something completely different. Putting your own ideas down on wax where Piggy used to tread so fluid and magnificently? Good luck. All the encouragement from within the band and from the fans couldn't have prepared him for this. Jason and others got a pass for not being Blacky, but if Chewy had turned in a "less than" Voivod performance here…

Ultimately, the weight of Target Earth fell on Chewy. Already road-tested, proven, and fan-approved on the existing catalog; how was he going to handle guiding Voivod into what really is uncharted waters for them?

Even the first casual listen to Target Earth will give you that answer with no remaining doubts. Chewy has done a beautiful job of both reminding us where we've come from, and showing us where we are headed on this journey. Mixing perennial elements of the Voivod sound and adding equal amounts of his own style have paved a very elegant and wonderful transition to the next chapter in the Voivod saga. His playing on this album constantly gives you that reassuring wink that aside from being a musician, he really gets Voivod. Many players would have tried to mimic Piggy while shoehorning their own style in there. I don't sense that at all here. This shoe fits perfectly.

All in all, Target Earth is more than I had expected and even more than I truly had hoped it could be. For all the listening, there's not a song that I skip or that I'm even eagerly awaiting to end. In fact, I keep wanting each song to keep going. I hope that this album doesn't constantly need to be compared to previous works, or scrutinized simply because of where it falls in their catalog. So many times, an album gets overlooked because it was born long after the media spotlight has faded on the artist. This album deserves more than that. It may be hard to fathom, and this notion comes with all possible respect, but Target Earth may well be one of the best Voivod albums they've done so far.

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted February 02, 2013 15:02     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Target Earth" review contd...pt.2-New "re-ignition phase" circa 2012...as part of their live fallout,Voivod previews renditions of new material..Stop,wait! A new album looming...coming soon,of course these tidbits gave an exciting glimpse into this new world...very strong potential is more than evident...the project has been pushed back until the "invasion time" of 1.21.13(Europe) and 1.22.13(Etat D'Unis)...I bought two copies of the single(one blue,to keep/black,to play).Played it over and over until I went to the record store and bought the album the day it came out...when I got home,put the cd in...countdown to play...there are many,many "rewind-worthy" moments so I could hear that again and again!...Several instances of "a huge rictus-grin" came out of me while listening...A culmination of "cosmic-conundrums" that these "hypno-tronik hell fighters" have been renowned for in their 30+ years of existence...Every one of these "anti citizens" aboard this flight is re-energized,re-connected and fully engaged in "pyramido-maniacal/"rhythmic-wormhole" excursions into an "upside twisted time" efficiency that remains undiminished while heralding their pursuit of a new horizon...It's back,he's back-the "yonder rumbling return" of the "Chaotic-culominimbus Overcloud..."...'Blacky'!!! 'Away' replicating gravitational disruptions in full disarray!..His "aggro beast-beats" if quantum physics emanating as highly organized,but also that instinctive "thunder-thud"..1,2..4-3 patterns notable on "Kluscap O'Kom",and the cyber armada lockstep in "Resistance"...'Snake' gives the most emotive,frenzied "reptili-iconic invocations" as the long running "voivox" in many a lunar eclipse...that's not to say that its ever been "God-phoned" in..because it hasn't,but that this new release captures the sinister ruminations and glim reflections of the "flying lord"/"space avenger" in all its panoramic infamy...And now regarding the first new album with Daniel "Chewy" Mongrain..what I'm not going to do is the usual comparisons of how 'Chewy' plays to 'Piggy'(though I know unfortunately "myopically-minded" critics and some fans will bore us to "end-time" with their negativity. (although I'll choose to ignore this rabble)contrasting and nitpicking over how its not totally lik him...We get it!...we know that 'Piggy' is an absolutely irreplaceable,one of a rare kind and no one is trying to do that...what's absolutely clear(well to me and a majority of listeners anyway) is in my opinion that Daniel handles the material with the utmost respect since he's also a fan himself,insofar as not only being faithful in capturing the essence,mood and the technicality of what D'Amour pioneered in Voivod. 'Chewy' also brings his own high level of "weapons-operator" expertise and energetic "chaos theory counterparts" in synchronized orbit with 'Blacky' and 'Away's rotating double time dementia. On the title track,Dan's "spiraling emergency-signal" solo heralds the first wave of the unrelenting invasion forces ...other instances of the "spidery clockwork U.F.O formations"/"loco emotive frequency riffs" that all add to the thickened viscosity of strange airy atmospheres ...he's not afraid to engage in the "blast-off...all systems go segueways". Voivod is a band that fully retains their higher order functions...that is,"each member stays in the game.." Every song stands out exceptionally well from this "forward fighting force" who've pulled off the seemingly impossible ..which is to continue this mission throughout time..to continue the brilliantly bizarre intrigue of the Voivod legacy beginning it's infectious infancy in 'Morgoth' lands over thirty years ago ...to now where Voivod will continue to find it's own uncharted brave new worlds...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 02, 2013 17:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome reviews Nothingface & Neutronboy!!!

It's a great time to be a Voivod fan!!! It's because of Dan joining Voivod that I decided to delve into his Martyr catalog and hear where he came from musically before entering the world of Voivod. He said years ago that he was fan and first heard Voivod when he was 11 years old. In Martyr you can hear the influence, just like you can on Target Earth, but it's an influence, not a rip off or someone trying to clone Piggy's playing. I hear influences of Holdsworth in Dan's playing also. While Martyr death metal side isn't really my cup of tea, with the blast beat drumming and nearly incomprehensible growling vocals (although the majority of the vocals are clean enough to be understood), I highly suggest everyone to listen to Martyr that enjoys what Chewy brings to the table in Voivod, because you'll have a much better understanding of where he's been and where he was headed prior to joining the legends!!!

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 03, 2013 07:01     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That fading off of Definance was a hell of a trick! What a tease! I was just getting into the song and then....................nothing.

I knew my 'sequel' comment would really grate on the finer sensibilities of my friend Casper....and this was the reason I posted it.

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted February 04, 2013 00:51     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A couple of more impressions after listening to Target Earth and only Target Earth for a week on auto repeat;

* I underestimated how well that Chewy would nail this. There was no doubt he'd do a good job, but this shatters expectations. Rock musicians make the music first and then write sheet music later, so anyone who can actually transcribe Piggy's parts in Killing Technology into sheet music is a rare find indeed. So in retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised at all.

* Notice how angular the music is, with odd time signatures and stop/starts? We haven't heard the likes of this since Blacky was in the band in the 80s. This is not a coincidence. Give Blacky a talented, otherworldly guitarist as a writing partner, and you get classic Voivod.

* I'm pissed now: First the anticipation or this album, then the wait to hear the rest of Defiance!!!! Fuck...this is what happens when you're a junkie and your drug of choice is Voivod...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 04, 2013 09:50     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Fuck...this is what happens when you're a junkie and your drug of choice is Voivod...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!"

But unlike most drugs, you can keep getting your "fix" over and over again from the same purchase.
That's why I love music.... it just keeps giving and never wears out (well, unless you grind down the grooves, stretch out the tape from over use... but that takes a long long time)

--------------------

yawn

collpaser
VoivodFan
Member # 820

posted February 04, 2013 13:04     Profile for collpaser   Email collpaser     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't log-in here much and my original user name was "Fantastic Planet" many, many years ago, but I see that I created this "collpaser" account (probably after losing my fantastic planet log-in, haha), and I must have been drunk because my username is supposed to be "collapser," not "collpaser". Ugh....Good grief! That said, I've always lurked this board.

Anyway, as I'm sure many of you can relate to, Voivod is very personal to me. For 26+ years I've followed this group, through different stages in my life as a teenager to right now, as a 41 year old man. Voivod's music has been right there with me every step of the way. I can remember being jobless as a young teenager, miserable, with no money and the only damn thing that got me through all of it was, at that time, my Dimension and Nothingface cassette's.

I've played in original bands for 26+ years always influenced by Voivod!

Before the Internet, when all we had were record sleeves and lyrics to read while listening to these great records, Voivod were my hero's; and believe me, it was a small, esoteric group of my friends/band mates, who loved them just as much!

Now we have Target Earth. I've taken the time to listen to this new record backwards and forwards and I must say that this is ranking as one of my absolute favorites! Some of the songs are taking me back to a different time, a time when this group was kicking my ass, influencing me in so many ways.

I realize this all may sound corny, but I so very much appreciate this wonderful group and the hard work they put into Target Earth. I'm just loving it and Voivod are inspiring me all over again.

I could spend two solid hours pointing out all the amazing things on this record! I know I'm in good company here!

Lastly, I'll never forget meeting Blacky and Away in Cincinnati, on the Nothingface Tour; we shared a game of Tempest inside the arcade next to Bogart's and talked like friends while doing so. I was blown away. They're rock's most dynamic, innovative group and they remain a class act to this very day.. Cheers!!!

End rant/

hexonut
VoivodFan
Member # 73

posted February 04, 2013 13:10     Profile for hexonut   Email hexonut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I knew my 'sequel' comment would really grate on the finer sensibilities of my friend Casper....and this was the reason I posted it.

Huh?

--------------------

Casper, your friendly ghost

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted February 04, 2013 21:10     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if anyone needs a rebuke for their transgressions I'll be more than happy to help...

This album is a new start imo but one thing I've heard upon repeated exposure is that Jason left a mark to. It may be in the bridges? I'll put my finger on it eventually but there is a bit of his song writing style in the mix in a few spots.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 04, 2013 23:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny you mention that Hatros, because with the different cd versions and vinyl versions of the Jason era recordings I've been getting recently and listening to, I've enjoyed the songs a lot more for some reason. I liked them when they first came out, but maybe Target Earth opened my ears and mind up a bit more than usual and gave me new respect for the albums I didn't hold in as high regard as the classics (Nothingface, Dimension Hatross, The Outer Limits, Angel Rat, & Killing Technology). The more I listen to everything the more I realize how mind blowing Voivod's entire catalog is and how well all of it holds up after all these years, each in their own unique way.

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 05, 2013 06:40     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
The more I listen to everything the more I realize how mind blowing Voivod's entire catalog is and how well all of it holds up after all these years, each in their own unique way.

For that reason I never understood why I couldn't get other (metal loving) people into Voivod. Some of my friends all love Kreator, Death Angel, Metallica, Slayer, Celtic Frost and Coroner and numerous other bands but NOT Voivod and I repeat NOT Voivod.

You could say that I am the worst Voivod evangelist...

NP: Buried Alive by Venom

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted February 05, 2013 08:53     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pppaaaüüülll:
For that reason I never understood why I couldn't get other (metal loving) people into Voivod.

they're zombies man...

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan