my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » A letter from the future & The Big Die-off (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: A letter from the future & The Big Die-off
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 06, 2005 21:51     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Apologies if this has been covered; but IMO this is THE issue at hand for our times. Our own kids will more than likely be the ones dealing with this fucking catastrophie, but don't be surprised if it falls into our laps first.
http://www.museletter.com/archive/110.html

More:

quote:
The human species may be seen as having evolved in the service of entropy, and it cannot be expected to outlast the dense accumulations of energy that have helped define its niche. Human beings like to believe they are in control of their destiny, but when the history of life on Earth is seen in perspective, the evolution of Homo sapiens is merely a transient episode that acts to redress the planet's energy balance.

quote:
an oil-based economy such as ours doesn't have to deplete its entire reserve of oil before it begins to collapse. A shortfall between demand and supply as little as 10-15 percent is enough to wholly shatter an oil-dependent economy and reduce its citizenry to poverty.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

|  IP: Logged
infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 07, 2005 19:16     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm really glad someone brought this up. A die-off is kind of a good thing... there's too many of us. I'd rather not have to go through the world revolution and mass destruction, esp. from an environmental point of view (including nukes, biowar, etc).

--------------------

http://www.livejournal.com/users/infoterror/

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 07, 2005 19:39     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by infoterror:
A die-off is kind of a good thing... there's too many of us.

It's a "good thing" as long as you aren't one of the people who has to die, I assume.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 08, 2005 01:41     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I should mention that I don't necessarily subscribe to some of the opinions and prospective scenarios in the above articles, yet the basic premisses & hard facts are inarguable and rather bleak. I think the hardest hit will be the smug, SUV-driving entity known as 'Suburban America'.

In that, there will admittedly be a certain amount of satisfaction for the 'less compassionate' side of me if I live to see it. After all, I have to drive amongst these clueless, yellow ribbon-displaying, self-absorbed nincompoops each and every day.

Hey "infoterror": interesting blog-thing you have there. I noticed that the "friends" page was blank, though....

--------------------

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 08, 2005 01:42     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
It's a "good thing" as long as you aren't one of the people who has to die, I assume.

Doesn't jive with my philosophy. If I die, and the whole lives on, I'm pretty happy with that. After all, it's what will happen - if we are lucky - when I die, no matter when it comes.

Then again, I am Hindu, so slightly different perspective here.

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 08, 2005 06:48     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is why in recent years Greenpeace has done a complete U-turn on nuclear power. Quite pragmatically, and somewhat unusually for that organisation, they have realised that going nuclear is the only viable way to provide clean, non-fossil fuel power in the short term while renewable sources are improved to the state where they are a viable alternative.

The downfall of this is, of course, obvious. Every man here has radioactive particles in his testicles thanks to nuclear power. I was a baby when the Chernobyl dust-cloud was floating around Europe. It's still dangerous, scary stuff, but do we really have a choice?

And even that is just for the major power sources. Then we have to factor in air and land travel, both of which are responsible for much of the oil-guzzling and resultant pollution. We need alternative sources there, or we're going to have to re-evaluate our attitude to automated travel.

Nice topic, thanks for bringing this up. If it isn't your generation that has to deal with this, it'll certainly be mine.

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 08, 2005 10:23     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Or the obvious: we need FEWER people, of HIGHER quality, so we don't need so much central government and consumption to begin with.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 08, 2005 11:15     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Or the obvious: we need FEWER people, of HIGHER quality, so we don't need so much central government and consumption to begin with.

[and here we go again]
Sooooo Mr. Hindu, how do you propose this be done? Who decides which people are of 'lower quality' and will thus die?

--------------------

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 08, 2005 18:56     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's a number of ways it can be done. And how it is done has no bearing on the fact that it must be done.

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 09, 2005 18:29     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, but it has absolutely everything to do with it. If the end result is negative - which is absolutely likely in a vast degree of scenarios - then that completely contradicts the idea that it "must" be done.
infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 09, 2005 22:55     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In argument, you refer to negative effects as "disadvantages," and concern yourself only with whether or not the plan fulfills its goal.

The plan takes two stages. First, its objectives; second, its methods. These are usually debated separately, for good reason, as any objective has multiple methods of achieving it.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 10, 2005 02:04     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What is it with you nazi-esque bozos and your ambiguous politician double-talk? And just who the fuck is supposedly sitting around deciding all of this nonsense?

How about a straight answer.

--------------------

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 10, 2005 10:36     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I think its best to try to separate the person from the argument, go after it, not him. Shouting down opposition does not change the idea or the view.

That would be appreciated.

The way I see things, if we don't force a die-off of our own, overpopulation will force a die off, after destroying much of the planet.

That's an end worth avoiding, no?

--------------------

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 10, 2005 10:59     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The way I see things, if we don't force a die-off of our own, overpopulation will force a die off, after destroying much of the planet.

I think mother earth would shake us off like a bad case of fleas... or she could just spawn another mass epidemic such as aids or sars.

The end is near !!! but mabye not in our lifetime.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 10, 2005 13:04     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, good point there, Warcorpse, although I would argue that if there is no "must", then consequently there is no "fact" either. One follows from the other.

A big, calamitous "die-off" and eugenics-related ideas are not, and never have been, the answer. Social darwinism is a joke, and not a particularly funny one. A die-off is to be avoided, not encouraged, and there is no reason that it has to happen at all.

Growing education and wealth along with industrialisation and liberalisation have been shown to have a correlation with lowering birth rates. What is needed is a multifaceted approach to the problems facing us, incorporating a massive re-evaluation of how we view our fellow human beings and our natural environment. The survival and wellbeing of both humanity and the planet is of more importance than fleeting material wealth and petty convenience, and it is time we began as a whole to realise this.

The "solution" of a forced "die-off" is an extremely poor one at best.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 10, 2005 21:00     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Not to derail, I can understand why you think low mpg vehicles owners are nincompoops, but why are people who support the troops nincompoops? Many of the people with the ribbon have a relative in the military.

I don't have a yellow ribbon, but I am a veteran. I drive a Dodge Ram 4x4 everyday. I love it. You go invent me an alternative.

Yeah, well don't get me wrong, Corpse. I myself am a former truck-driving, card-carrying, assault rifle-owning NRA member. Both my Father & Stepfather were veterans. These days, I see many vehicles as pure status symbols, and the people driving them as wasteful, self-centered assholes who are also dangerously BAD drivers. (I drive 200-300 miles a day, mostly city driving, so I see plenty) So in other words, my comments are aimed at a specific type of person:

1. "Owns" a huge gas-guzzling 4X4 SUV which never hauls anything or finds its way off the pavement;

2. Sports about 8 different types of magnetic ribbons, (they all fit, because the Cadillac Escalade has 3400 Sq. feet of rear surface area) ...ribbons which strike me as more of a band-aid for their guilt than a heartfelt display of support. Hats off to the guy who invented those fucking ribbons, though. Must be a billionaire by now.

Of COURSE I support those brave & noble kids who are out there fighting. I just find myself believing less & less in our government/ President's motives and feel less & less empathetic toward certain members of this fucked up society.

--------------------

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 11, 2005 11:45     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lyckantropen:
The "solution" of a forced "die-off" is an extremely poor one at best.

And if the option is death for all, including non-human lifeforms? You mean you'd rather preserve human life than save this planet's ecosystem from extinction?

A poor choice.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 11, 2005 22:39     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dunno, Corpse. Those percentages are very decieving. What I keep hearing is this:

quote:
Today, the U.S. has less than 5 percent of the world's population, yet it consumes more than 25 percent of global oil production-about 20 million barrels per day (mbd).

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 12, 2005 07:07     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
And if the option is death for all, including non-human lifeforms? You mean you'd rather preserve human life than save this planet's ecosystem from extinction?

A poor choice.

Yes, it would be, if those were the only options. They aren't. Your "point" is void.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 12, 2005 10:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"What is needed is a multifaceted approach to the problems facing us, incorporating a massive re-evaluation of how we view our fellow human beings and our natural environment. The survival and wellbeing of both humanity and the planet is of more importance than fleeting material wealth and petty convenience, and it is time we began as a whole to realise this."

Professor, this is a beautiful idea. How about make up a bunch of pamphlets and drop them off at the headquarters of the Sudanese government. I'm sure they'd be interested...

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 12, 2005 11:43     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Ha, no kidding. That whole sentence is flawed. There are billions of people who don't use oil at all. You can't throw the whole world population into that mix. Its like saying Americans make up less then 5 percent of the world's population yet Americans own 80% of the world's computers. Or Swedes make up .01% of the world's population yet they consume 99% of the global swedish meatball supply.

Now you have to decide which is more deceiving. The link I posted or the quote you keep hearing.

Ok, then. Let's simplify this by disregarding the 'percentage of the world's population' part:

[The U.S.] consumes more than 25 percent of global oil production-about 20 million barrels per day.

I can't even vouch for the accuracy of this to begin with, however it certainly is easier to believe than the figure you provided, which says that some Singapore dude uses more than double the oil per day that a typical American does. What the fuck are these people commuting in? Tanks?

The bottom line is, we are burning through this shit as fast as we can, while doing very little in the way of developing a Plan B for when it begins to disappear.

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 12, 2005 13:23     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Professor, this is a beautiful idea. How about make up a bunch of pamphlets and drop them off at the headquarters of the Sudanese government. I'm sure they'd be interested...

Don't patronise me, bucko. All I stated was that as a species we need to rethink our way of life, in the context of the "big picture" of the planet's survival. We put too much store in things which aren't real or important and too little in what is. That's it. I'm not proposing what to do, how to do it, or when, because I don't know. I am just stating what I see as the reality of the situation, and it would be nice if you could at least respect that.

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 12, 2005 14:10     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
as a species we need to rethink our way of life, in the context of the "big picture" of the planet's survival.

Good idea, but it will be 100% ineffective unless you also radically limit population.

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 12, 2005 16:52     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Good idea, but it will be 100% ineffective unless you also radically limit population.

Not really. Overpopulation is a symptom, not the problem itself.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 12, 2005 17:13     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Don't patronise me, bucko. All I stated was that as a species we need to rethink our way of life, in the context of the "big picture" of the planet's survival. We put too much store in things which aren't real or important and too little in what is. That's it. I'm not proposing what to do, how to do it, or when, because I don't know. I am just stating what I see as the reality of the situation, and it would be nice if you could at least respect that.

Geeezzz...lync..You can't expect someone not to make fun when you use a phrase like "multifaceted approach". Lighten up dude.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan