my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » A letter from the future & The Big Die-off (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: A letter from the future & The Big Die-off
nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted May 12, 2005 19:59     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by infoterror:
In argument, you refer to negative effects as "disadvantages," and concern yourself only with whether or not the plan fulfills its goal.

The plan takes two stages. First, its objectives; second, its methods. These are usually debated separately, for good reason, as any objective has multiple methods of achieving it.

Like?? Could you please be more specific? Methods what sort of methods?

|  IP: Logged
infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 14, 2005 13:50     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lyckantropen:
Not really. Overpopulation is a symptom, not the problem itself.

Of course, but as in any patient care, one deals with the life-threatening symptoms immediately and then begins long-term care.

I hear a lot of pretense in most arguments against population cutbacks. There are no solid arguments against it. The worst part is that, in order to limit future population, we need to stop those who would breed now.

It's that kind of thinking of course that leads us to the point where we cannot make a decision, and it is made for us, by a rather brutal die-off. Such is the price of ignorance.

--------------------

http://www.livejournal.com/users/infoterror/

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 14, 2005 19:03     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by infoterror:
Of course, but as in any patient care, one deals with the life-threatening symptoms immediately and then begins long-term care.

I hear a lot of pretense in most arguments against population cutbacks. There are no solid arguments against it. The worst part is that, in order to limit future population, we need to stop those who would breed now.

It's that kind of thinking of course that leads us to the point where we cannot make a decision, and it is made for us, by a rather brutal die-off. Such is the price of ignorance.

Your assignment:
Describe YOUR idea of 3 possible "population cutback" scenarios.
The more detail, the better.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 15, 2005 15:09     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Answer: it doesn't matter how, so long as it happens.

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 16, 2005 19:20     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Geeezzz...lync..You can't expect someone not to make fun when you use a phrase like "multifaceted approach". Lighten up dude.

Make fun all you want, you'll be sorry when you wake up with a multifaceted approach.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 17, 2005 10:59     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I have a population cutback idea. Flush hundreds of thousands of copies of the Koran down the toilet, 17 dead per flush. Sell "Allah is a woman" SUV magnets. Then, for good measure, nuke Mecca.

Want to cause more riots? Tell Muslims that Allah is a fraud, an imaginary superhero. Go to Muslim countries, teach them about Darwinism. Tell them they evolved from apes. Show them pictures of apes.

Thats pretty large scale Corpse...why not test the idea first by having a major newswee.err media publication make up a story about desecreating the koran and see what happens just for kicks?

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 17, 2005 11:39     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Newsflash - papers don't often "make up" stories. What they do is report on things without properly checking a source. Shows how powerful the media really is, though, doesn't it?
infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 17, 2005 11:51     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Papers don't make up stories - reporters do. Read William Langesweische's articles in the Atlantic about the state of journalism in Iraq for an eyeopener.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 17, 2005 12:58     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Newsflash - papers don't often "make up" stories. What they do is report on things without properly checking a source. Shows how powerful the media really is, though, doesn't it?

I'll agree there. But do you not think the reporter's haste was due to his eagerness to nail the USA to the whipping post?....you know, kind of the Dan Rather syndrome. Let's think real world here for a second.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 17, 2005 15:09     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent point there.

But, it raises the issue that anti-US sentiment must be coming as a result of a variety of things. It's too easy to classify it as "childish", "ignorant" or "idiotic". There are reasons, and we have to try and understand them. Otherwise we repeat the mistakes of the old colonialists in shrugging off the grievances of the subjugated peoples as petty and idiotic.

It's worth bearing in mind that people didn't riot because of a solitary incident - the Q'uran-flushing was just a spark which ignited grievances which already existed. It wasn't the root cause of the violence.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 17, 2005 17:49     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dunno, we could always aid and abet those dictatorships by supplying them with weapons to use and turning our backs while they use them. But I acknowledge that this was A Bad Thing That We Don't Mention Anymore.

You're multifaceted approach isn't very multifaceted. That's two - not very "multi".

I agree that the dictators need to be removed. But external action is no more a solution than sitting around is - look at Afghanistan. Sure, we removed the Taliban, and instituted a nominally democratic government. Problem - ever since Iraq, we've tended to ignore Afghanistan. Most people are still governed now by the distinctly undemocratic warlords of the Northern Alliance. Living conditions haven't improved tremendously, and rushing off to Iraq has made the people feel betrayed at the lack of attention their country is apparently receiving.

Think of that, THEN factor in religious fundamentalism, THEN factor in poverty and general resentment, and then a frankly ludicrous story in a newspaper as a catalyst, and you can see why people rioted. It's easier to lie to a desperate, angry man than it is to a happy one.

On dictators and "sitting around" - any plans to remove the dictators of Libya, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, China, etc etc. any time soon? Or, how about the government of Sudan, which is currently murdering Christians and other "undesirables" by the truckload. Why aren't paratroopers securing airports as I type?

I know why none of these things are happening, and I appreciate that the reasons are good ones. I mean, it'd be a very, very weird day before I got all militaristic. But it's not a good idea to criticise a certain approach when you're doing exactly the same thing in more cases than you aren't.

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 17, 2005 20:43     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
But, it raises the issue that anti-US sentiment must be coming as a result of a variety of things.

Maybe the threat of cultural, military and political dominance by the world's one remaining superpower?

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 18, 2005 11:48     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Poverty is a root cause of anti-Americanism, but like most things with multiple causes not all apply in all cases. The anti-American sentiment of "olde worlde" nations like France and Germany is, as you correctly note, not a result of poverty, but nor is it just "lies and propaganda".

Let's take France. Firstly, "France is anti-American" is a big, big generalisation, and not one which is supported by evidence or common sense in many cases. Now, what "anti-Americanism" there is, stems from a few things. Let's take Iraq. French opposition to the Iraq war was based on several points - firstly, the bit they tried to keep quiet, which was that they had a big business interest in maintaining the status quo. Also, however, their opposition was based on the fact that the war went against the letter of international law - that part which outlawed pre-emptive war and invasion. Also, on the sidelines, there's the anti-war left, the anti-war right, media influence etc. etc. But it's nowhere near as simple as "lies and propaganda", and it never has been.

Propaganda cultivates and cements an idea or impression which already exists, it doesn't create ideas. Do you think Goebbels' anti-Jew posters were the first to ever use the famous cartoon impression of "The Jew" in Europe?

Poverty - poverty can be caused by, and is definitely exacerbated by corrupt governments and despicable dictators, but there are many other causes as well. Relics of old colonialism, flagrant exploitation by the developed world, etc. I mean, not all poor countries descend into dictatorship or rampant corruption. Canada has an incredibly corrupt Liberal government at the moment, are they a poor nation?

Afghanistan - I think that's a bad attitude to have. If we have a "moral obligation" to rebuild Iraq, then why don't we feel the same way about Afghanistan? Why don't we feel obliged to put more effort into rebuilding as opposed to viewing any progress as "a nice bonus"?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 18, 2005 12:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm really enjoying reading this discussion. Mainly cause both arguments are well-structured and nobody's throwing rocks. Of course, Corpse is right on all this but cheers to Lync for giving him the ol' one two.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 18, 2005 12:29     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'm enjoying this as well. While I don't know that either of us is "right", it's certainly constructive.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 18, 2005 19:32     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you guys know i dont post quotey-linky crap very much, but i read this today:

the following is from media mattter {a lib website that pulls apart rightwing media...} read the first paragraph:

"Following reports that a retracted May 9 Newsweek item contributed to violent protests in Afghanistan and Pakistan, several news accounts simply echoed the White House's claim that Newsweek was responsible for the deadly violence while omitting evidence undermining that claim. The CBS Evening News, CNN's Wolf Blitzer Reports, Fox News' Special Report with Brit Hume, National Public Radio's (NPR) Morning Edition, and The Washington Post all failed to note that top military officials have contradicted White House claims about what caused the recent violence. Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Richard B. Myers stated on May 12 that the violence was "not at all tied to the article in the magazine," which alleged that U.S. investigators found evidence that interrogators at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, "flushed a Quran down a toilet."

On the May 16 edition of the CBS Evening News, anchor Bob Schieffer stated that the Newsweek story "led to a week of violent anti-American demonstrations in Afghanistan in which at least 15 people were killed." On the May 16 edition of Wolf Blitzer Reports, CNN correspondent Barbara Starr reported that the article "touched off riots in Afghanistan and Pakistan, leaving at least 15 dead," while host Wolf Blitzer declared: "Unfortunately, there are dead people out there as a result of that report."

On that evening's edition of Special Report, host Brit Hume stated that "The story triggered protests in which 17 died," and Fox News chief White House correspondent Carl Cameron similarly reported: "The story sparked violent anti-American protests in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Palestinian territories. Seventeen people were killed." On the May 17 edition of NPR's Morning Edition, host Steve Inskeep noted that the Newsweek story "led to violent demonstrations in the Islamic world," while arts reporter Neda Ulaby reported that "reaction to the story was almost immediate: Riots exploded, and scores of people were injured. Fifteen people died." And Washington Post media critic Howard Kurtz stated in a May 17 article: "The May 1 item triggered violent protests last week in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indonesia and other countries, in which at least 16 people were killed."

In fact, top U.S. military officials contended that other factors led to the violence in Afghanistan and Pakistan. As Myers noted in a May 12 Department of Defense news briefing, according to Lt. Gen. Karl Eikenberry, the commander of Combined Forces Command-Afghanistan, the violence "was not necessarily the result of the allegations about disrespect for the Quran" but was "more tied up in the political process and the reconciliation process that President [Hamid] Karzai and his Cabinet is conducting in Afghanistan." Myers directly noted Eikenberry's belief that the violence "was not at all tied to the article in the magazine."

Not all news reports ignored other elements that apparently contributed to the violent protests. For example, in his report on the Newsweek controversy on the May 16 edition of MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews, NBC News correspondent David Shuster aired Myers's remarks that Newsweek was not to blame. Shuster added that "the reputation of American interrogators has been awful for more than a year. Last spring, there were the abuses at Abu Ghraib, and since then, there have been stories about Guantánamo Bay."

Moreover, NBC News justice correspondent Pete Williams's report on the May 16 broadcast of NBC's Nightly News documented an assessment by Barnett Rubin, director of studies at New York University's Center for International Cooperation, that Karzai's openness to "a long-term military relationship with the United States" may have also contributed to the violent protests:

WILLIAMS: While the debate wages over Newsweek's journalism, some experts on the region say last week's protests have long been simmering and involve more than just the Quran story.

RUBIN: From the very beginning, the demonstrators also said that they didn't want any permanent U.S. bases on Afghanistan, which was a reaction to some statements by President Karzai that he would discuss a long-term military relationship with the United States."

im all with you guys on toppling dictators and exposing bullshit propaganda.

ever noticed that people have been trying to "fix" Islam for over a thousand years? ever noticed how Islam gets stronger and spreads to every country in the world? even 100 nukes couldnt "fix" Islam, now.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 19, 2005 17:25     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Wait, I thought that extremists were not real Muslims?

i thought that "real muslims" were all brainwashed by "extremists"? and needed our super-special western propaganda to get them back on track?

and im still kinda lost on this being Bush's fault anyways...if our interrogators pull a stupid stunt, does that mean its Bushs fault? what if this had happened on Clintons watch? the really funny part is even conservatives just assume its Bushs fault, too. did i mention funny?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 19, 2005 20:25     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Afghanistan - I think that's a bad attitude to have. If we have a "moral obligation" to rebuild Iraq, then why don't we feel the same way about Afghanistan? Why don't we feel obliged to put more effort into rebuilding as opposed to viewing any progress as "a nice bonus"?

one day we will wake up and there will be a 'new york city 2' in downtown Kabul...

buildings seem to go up overnight in my area all the time.

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted May 19, 2005 23:02     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Americans seem to assume that the American way of life is compatible with all cultures.

It's not.

Islam has plenty of good reasons to resist the West, including its own continued internal moral and spiritual failure.

Al-Qaeda and the Iraq revolutionaries have popular support for this reason. And America continues to lose, as do all who approve of her insane "neoconservative" crusade.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan