my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Environmental decline (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Environmental decline
neoclassical
VoivodFan
Member # 433

posted April 12, 2004 19:45     Profile for neoclassical   Email neoclassical     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regardless of whether you think it's an immediate problem, or not...

When will humanity stop expanding? (and thus, stop decreasing the amount of space available for other species)

--------------------

http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001471

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 13, 2004 08:18     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't worry about the planet - someday it'll shake us off like fleas on a dog. That's why there's AIDS, cancer, plague... all nature's way of not letting us get too comfortable and getting completely out of hand. As much as cancer has impacted my family and I'm sure the families of most on this board, should there REALLY be a cure for it? What if everyone lived to be 120? Do you realize how much that would completely devestate society?
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 13, 2004 15:58     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, the obsession with trying to artificially extend our lifespan is very concerning. If we naturally live longer thanks to better health and living practises then I don't really have a problem with that. However, when we start coming up with wonder serums to 'cure' old age I feel very uneasy. Some people are very fortunate and do live to be 120 because they have unusually sound dna. Most of us will be lucky to make it to 70 unscathed, some may make it to 80 and a very small number may see 100. That's how it should stay.

My biggest gripe about 'Western' values, especially when it comes to health care is that we regard life as sacred and a person must be kept alive almost without regard to cost, human or otherwise. If we know we are going to die of a terminal illness why shouldn't we be able to choose to be put to sleep? Are we not animals also? Furthermore, does the denial of such a request violate our human rights? I think it does; I believe I have the right to choose to be euthanised if I have a terminal illness. For some obscure reason the European Court does not, and would prefer to see me die in agony, and possibly at great cost to valuable resources. These could go to much better use in my opinion.

This is just one example of upsetting the balance of nature - creating an increasinly geriatric, and less able race of humans. By pursuing such well intentioned, but ultimately foolish crusades we will, slowly but surely, destroy this planet.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 13, 2004 16:28     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great post Knickerzohnonnof. I couldn't agree more! 99.9% of the earth's problems stem from overpopulation. From failing ecologies to social upheavals and war, all problems eventually boil down to the fact that there is too damn many people on this planet!

My thought is that the only way this race will survive the next few thousand years is if we either limit reproduction and virtually stop population growth, or we begin to inhabit other planets to lessen the burdon we place on our home world. Nonetheless, both options will require immense changes in the basic social and financial practices currently in place worldwide.

In other words, we are most likely doomed. The planet will survive with or without us.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 13, 2004 17:51     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, that was clever. Very insidious.

No it fucking isn't.

Thankyou, have a nice day.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted April 13, 2004 18:48     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eugenics seems like a bad idea actually, not just an arrogant one. What if an intentionally eliminated portion of the human race contains a genetic disposition that enables them to fight off some unknown disease or adapt to a sudden climate change? We'd all be screwed then!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 13, 2004 19:32     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eugenics would be one of the least favorites of MAN'S solutions...therefore flawed.
I'm all for preservation of nature because nothing in this life to me is more beautiful and health and harmony inspiring than nature. I really need more of it.
Man has really fucked up a bunch of shit but I have to agree with delightful. We will pay for what we did in ways that we may never realize because for some reason...balance is practically impossible to acheive amoungst mankind. Discord is part of our nature. When we have something good, we take it for granted the majority of the time. Something unexpected will surely wipe us out.

neoclassical
VoivodFan
Member # 433

posted April 14, 2004 15:55     Profile for neoclassical   Email neoclassical     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Eugenics seems like a bad idea actually, not just an arrogant one. What if an intentionally eliminated portion of the human race contains a genetic disposition that enables them to fight off some unknown disease or adapt to a sudden climate change? We'd all be screwed then!

Bad science on your part - intelligent people, if they indeed come from all walks of life, would also have that mutation represented in their population. So at least some would survive.

--------------------

neoclassical
VoivodFan
Member # 433

posted April 14, 2004 16:01     Profile for neoclassical   Email neoclassical     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charon:
Eugenics would be one of the least favorites of MAN'S solutions...therefore flawed.
I'm all for preservation of nature because nothing in this life to me is more beautiful and health and harmony inspiring than nature. I really need more of it.
Man has really fucked up a bunch of shit but I have to agree with delightful. We will pay for what we did in ways that we may never realize because for some reason...balance is practically impossible to acheive amoungst mankind. Discord is part of our nature. When we have something good, we take it for granted the majority of the time. Something unexpected will surely wipe us out.

Unless we do something, like implement eugenics to reduce the population to an intelligent level

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 14, 2004 16:09     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Measured by what standards, though? The whole theory of eugenics is 'bad science'. You can't just say "reduce the population to an intelligent level", because firstly there are multiple 'intelligences'. What are you going to base it on? Mathematical aptitude? Linguistic ability? Common sense? Also, what would the yardsticks be? It's not feasible, even without the moral implications.

Secondly. Intelligence is NOT genetic, nor is it inherited. Sure, you can have a disposition towards aptitude in certain fields, but if you don't work at it, you aren't going to fulfil any kind of potential. Humanity's already full of people like that.

By removing all those that don't fit your standards, you are seriously fucking with nature, and genetic diversity. Genetic diversity is crucial to the existance of any species on earth.

If you want to limit the expansion of the population, education and information is needed. Readily available birth control, family planning, sure. But not eliminating people because of a perception of inferiority.

God does not exist, and it is best to keep it that way by not trying to assume his powers.

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted April 14, 2004 16:54     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Eugenics"....you must have a sick mind "neoclassical".

No way,Fucking wrong answer!

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

neoclassical
VoivodFan
Member # 433

posted April 14, 2004 20:17     Profile for neoclassical   Email neoclassical     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Measured by what standards, though? The whole theory of eugenics is 'bad science'. You can't just say "reduce the population to an intelligent level", because firstly there are multiple 'intelligences'. What are you going to base it on? Mathematical aptitude? Linguistic ability?

You can balance a number of factors in selection. If you believe in evolution, you believe in eugenics. But I see no one here is yet ready to do what must be done to reverse environmental decline.

--------------------

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 15, 2004 09:02     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Measured by what standards, though? The whole theory of eugenics is 'bad science'. You can't just say "reduce the population to an intelligent level", because firstly there are multiple 'intelligences'. What are you going to base it on? Mathematical aptitude? Linguistic ability? Common sense? Also, what would the yardsticks be? It's not feasible, even without the moral implications.

1. Moral implications? When did morality become anything more than the controlling impulse of the weak? It isn't real, so why bother with it at all?

2. http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~cfc/Chabris1998a.html

This pretty much crushes the pitiful arguments you've raised.

quote:
Secondly. Intelligence is NOT genetic, nor is it inherited.

Riiiiight. I guess the massive evidence to the contrary is just God testing your faith in egalitarian dogma, right? Fortunately, you're vigilant. You weren't fooled! Your faith is unshakable.

quote:
Sure, you can have a disposition towards aptitude in certain fields, but if you don't work at it, you aren't going to fulfil any kind of potential.

First you say that intelligence isn't genetic, then you contradict yourself with your very next statement. Care to make up your mind, son?

And, let's be honest, the naturally stupid don't have any potential to fulfill, so even if a eugenics program leads to a fair number of underachievers (who would have been underachievers anyway), you're still far better off than you were before.

quote:
By removing all those that don't fit your standards, you are seriously fucking with nature, and genetic diversity. Genetic diversity is crucial to the existance of any species on earth.

What you would seem to be suggesting here is that intelligence is NOT equally distributed across the human population then. What an interesting observation. You might want to keep it to yourself though, your liberal comrades might cast you from the garden for being a racist.

quote:
If you want to limit the expansion of the population, education and information is needed. Readily available birth control, family planning, sure. But not eliminating people because of a perception of inferiority.

You are aware that traditional eugenics programs have always centered on birth control, rather than weeding out the existing population through more violent means, right?

quote:
God does not exist, and it is best to keep it that way by not trying to assume his powers.

If he doesn't exist, he has no powers to assume, so it's not much of a problem now is it?

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 15, 2004 12:31     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another ANUS board member...

Please enlighten me, who do you see as prime candidates for your eulogy program? I would be most interested in your view on this.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 15, 2004 12:51     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I might start with these guys:

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 15, 2004 18:33     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would this be because they 'betrayed' their black metal roots?

Now, we'll try again...

What people do you think deserve to be eliminated from our species? Because let's face it, that is what eulogy is. Elimination of unwanted strains within a species, either by birth control or otherwise.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 15, 2004 19:19     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, a eulogy is a funeral oration. Eugenics refers to any program of selective breeding and sterilization.

Maybe you shouldn't participate in discussions when you don't understand the issues under discussion, hmmm?

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 15, 2004 20:27     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just have two questions.

Seeing as how Eugenics is clearly not just about birth control despite what anyone may say because although it never specifies the means...what it IS- IS selective breeding...

(this is an online deffinition)

"selective breeding as proposed human improvement: the proposed improvement of the human species by encouraging or permitting reproduction of only those individuals with genetic characteristics judged desirable. It has been regarded with disfavor since the Nazi period."

...then who is going to be the judge of what genetic traits are deemed desirable?

How much money and time is the implementation of such extensive testing going to take?

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 15, 2004 20:56     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obviously, decisions would need to rest in the hands of society's most intelligent members, but that's always been a basic need which liberal societies cannot meet (as, by definition, they privilege the masses, who are unfit to rule).

As for the cost, who really cares? The obsession with economy is the single most destructive aspect of contemporary society.

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 15, 2004 21:10     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Planetary Eulogy:
Obviously, decisions would need to rest in the hands of society's most intelligent members, but that's always been a basic need which liberal societies cannot meet (as, by definition, they privilege the masses, who are unfit to rule).

As for the cost, who really cares? The obsession with economy is the single most destructive aspect of contemporary society.

The money used...which would be alot...could be used for solving problems we can't solve now because of a lack of money...which is part of the reason to implement Eugenics in the first place.

"Societies most intelligent members"...which will be decided by what and who?

Realistically speaking it would more than likely be done by cheap mass murder by those who have enough to power to insist they are smart. Gee...this sounds very familiar.

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 15, 2004 21:35     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh btw...

Although I have never heard Dimmu Borgir they have a very cool website. I am looking forward to hearing them.

Anyone know any links to DLs?

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 15, 2004 22:10     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Money is fictitious, friend, it only has value because it has been agreed socially to have value. Who needs money when proper action can simply be coerced?
Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 16, 2004 00:25     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Money is fictitious, friend, it only has value because it has been agreed socially to have value. Who needs money when proper action can simply be coerced?

Money is not fictitious and I am not your friend. In order for money to be fictitious someone would have to destroy the currency system.

Now...take your time...get your thesaurus out and make a decent attempt if you will, to explain to everyone who is going to be in charge of all these miraculous feats such as putting an end to what makes the world go around and cramming a centuries worth of genetic testing, not to mention the other 90% of the human mind that we do not yet understand into a time that you see fit to fix the worlds problems, PLUS getting rid of all the "excess" right before the introduction of your new and better world by a means that would sound PC amoungst the partakers of this now ridiculous ass thread...of course not for morality's sake but just so no one can argue with you.

Doofus

Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted April 16, 2004 08:45     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charon:

Money is not fictitious

Its value is. Money is a social convention, nothing more.

quote:
Now...take your time...get your thesaurus out and make a decent attempt if you will, to explain to everyone who is going to be in charge of all these miraculous feats such as putting an end to what makes the world go around and cramming a centuries worth of genetic testing

As noted before, the best way to go about it is simply to draft the most intelligent members of society and set them to the task of weeding out the unfit.

quote:
not to mention the other 90% of the human mind that we do not yet understand

You are aware that the "90%" line is a myth, right? It was an urban legend created by dorks who want to believe in spoonbending and ESP. The reality is that scientists have a very good grasp of how the brain functions.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 16, 2004 13:46     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Actually, a eulogy is a funeral oration. Eugenics refers to any program of selective breeding and sterilization.

Maybe you shouldn't participate in discussions when you don't understand the issues under discussion, hmmm?

My mistake. But that is purely diversional and you know exactly what I meant. I shall correct...

What people do you think deserve to be eliminated from our species? Because let's face it, that is what eugenics is. Elimination of unwanted strains within a species, either by birth control or otherwise.

Now answer the question and stop evading the issue at hand. Anything other than specifics will be regarded as ducking the issue and cowardice for not putting your money where your mouth is.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan