my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » The Weed That Can Change The World (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: The Weed That Can Change The World
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 28, 2004 22:49     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interresting info.

Hemp Could Save America

I wish the whole world knew what Cheech & Chong knew all along!

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted February 29, 2004 00:26     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You just like to smoke pot.
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted February 29, 2004 07:02     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Indeed, hemp does have many uses, some of which I think could replace the unsustainable methods/products we use and buy now. Paper is a classic example. However, I still firmly believe that smoking the stuff is a bad idea. I believe it should only be prescribed for medicinal needs, such as multiple sclerosis where is does seem to have beneficial effects.

I have never smoked it or taken any illegal drugs. I saw with my own eyes the negative effects of pretty much every drug you can name. Mates of mine who smoked pot became very indolent, some developed severe paranoia. Others who did harder stuff, ecstacy, coke and heroin for example, became criminals bent on feeding their habit. A girl I once knew became hooked on cocaine thanks to her boyfriend. before she started it she was stunningly beautiful, friendly and great fun to be around. Once she was hooked she became a different person. Her looks went and she became almost a skeleton. In the end she had to give up work because she was physically unable to do an eight hour day. Last I heard she was regularly in and out of hospital and rehab clinics, but as far as I know she is still hooked on coke.

Only a few people from this circle got out of their habits and made something of their lives. The others are still living in their social vacuum. Those that have got out all agree that the time spent on drugs was basically a waste of their lives. Personally, and with the hindsight of others who have been there, I have seen enough to know I never want to follow in their footsteps.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 01, 2004 03:35     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It has been a known fact for years and years that hemp products are cheaper and more efficient than cotton, synthetic material, and energy fuels such as gas and oil. The government are the real criminals here, because although they too know how more efficient and money saving in the long-run hemp products can be (namely the oil), the oil industries of America will not allow hemp fuel to become legal because that would put THEM out of business.

Another reason I don't see marijuana ever becoming "legal" (as in legal like cigarettes and without a prescription) is the fact that pot busts are BIG BUCKS for the feds and cops. Although there is a strong argument for legalizing it so it can be taxed, they wouldn't make as much money off of the tax as they do with fines. Let's face it, the feds and cops need marijuana to be illegal to help keep the jails full. What a bunch of bullshit.

GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted March 10, 2004 17:10     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's settled then! Let's cut down all the forests and plant hemp instead!

--------------------

www.molokovellocet.com

neoclassical
VoivodFan
Member # 433

posted April 07, 2004 16:04     Profile for neoclassical   Email neoclassical     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The main reason I support hemp growing (hemp is weedy marijuana, and contains so little THC it's not even a drug) is that it is the fastest biomass producer on land outside of kudzu. If one grows enough of it on lands which otherwise had no vegetation, it replaces vital oxygen and keeps the soil from eroding.

Arguing about drug problems is like arguing over all the other petty political stuff, in my mind. It's totally secondary to saving the environment and stopping industrial society from consuming our planet.

--------------------

http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001471

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 07, 2004 16:07     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Petty political stuff...

Sorry it's neither petty or political when people start subsidising their habits by turning to crime, and you become the target. It becomes a personal hell. Trust me, I have first hand experience.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

neoclassical
VoivodFan
Member # 433

posted April 07, 2004 16:17     Profile for neoclassical   Email neoclassical     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knickerzohnonnof:
Petty political stuff...

Sorry it's neither petty or political when people start subsidising their habits by turning to crime, and you become the target. It becomes a personal hell. Trust me, I have first hand experience.

Sorry, but the natural world is in far more danger than you are. You do know that a recent study in the UK found that up to 71% of native species (butterflies, plants, animals) are now missing?

Something to think about. I'm not big on arguing via the Internet because it's like shouting at television, but maybe it's time to think of something bigger than your self. Everything else is secondary, including bringing democracy to Iraq, in my view.

--------------------

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted April 07, 2004 22:16     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
of course ive never used any illicit substances that have wasted my life.
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 08, 2004 09:22     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why then is it that generally (and generally means NOT EVERYONE) most pro-hemp people are also pot smokers? I have no problem with pot. I think it should be legalized - doesn't seem any more harmful than booze, which is legal. But the hemp issue is fucking ludicrous. It's like a group of morbidly obese people saying that Twinkies should be considered health food because there are eggs in the ingredients. These people need to admit that they only want hemp to be legal because they want weed to be legal. And I agree that if hemp has all of the benefits that are being described in posts above, it sounds like a good idea to me. I just roll my eyes at the stonejobs who say "Whaaaa??? No maaan. *cough* Dude, hemp would be so good for the plaaaaanet, bro. *cough cough*" I'd love to know if most of these people even know WHY hemp would be beneficial to the planet?

But then again I think pot fetishers are pretty ridiculous (i.e. High Times mags with goddam POSTERS of weed buds????). Just enjoy it and don't treat it like it's fucking ambrosia!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 08, 2004 15:40     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neoclassical:
Hemp and the drug marijuana should be considered two separate things.

To breed hemp into marijuana of any potency would take years and some great proficiency in plant genetics.

(This is deliberate.)

Marijuana as we know it is a specialized type of hemp plant, in fact a different subspecies (usually: indica), and is usually harvested as the unfertilized female flowers. Worlds apart.

Yes, hemp and Marajuiana are two separate things - I didn't say otherwise - but they are still spieces of hemp.

quote:
I don't care about marijuana, or drug users, or who knicked your CDs. Your society is falling apart - your problem. And human losses don't concern me at all.

Nice to know you have compassion for others. Not. I DO care about people who have their lives destroyed by others feeding their wasteful drug habits, especially as a significant percentage of crime in the UK is drug related. I also have real concerns of where the proceeds of this trade go to. It has been proven to fund terrorism and also organised crime rackets. Thanks again for your concerns about humankind. Please enlighten us as to what species of creature you are - assuming you are terrestrial.

quote:
But hemp would be a beneficial crop if humans must exist, and in the meantime, is a good way to prevent erosion on the wide swathes of land we have laid bare as a species. It grows more quickly than anything else we would want to plant.

Yes, in principle hemp has many uses and I think if it is put to use for energy for example, I think it could bring us many benefits and possibly wean us off our fossil fuel based lifestyle.

Wouldn't you agree, Prozak?

--------------------

Hail Santa...

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted April 08, 2004 18:44     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The world can change the weed.
Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 08, 2004 19:08     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Indian hemp (marijuana)is still hemp.

and why would anyone need to waste years of their time making hemp without THC have THC when all you really have to do is pick the seeds out of your bag and VIOLA!....you have the beginings of hemp with THC.

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 08, 2004 19:14     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
furthermore....I have seen hemp products and no one got arrested for them so whatever is stopping people from using hemp to make stuff is a mystery to me if its not illegal.
nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted April 08, 2004 19:24     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sorry Charon my english is very bad, what is THC?
Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 08, 2004 19:29     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hell I can't remember. I'd have to look it up and as I was looking up other stuff...not all Indian hemp is considered cannibis sativa...such as Apocynum cannabinum

Apparentally there are many different plants that are called hemp because of the fact its made from tough fibers and from what I gather, nothing is stopping anyone from using them unless they appear to be cultivating cannibis sativa.

but it doesn't really matter to me cause I want cannibis sativa to be legal so I can smoke it and so prisons aren't filled up with potheads while rapists and child molesters get parole.

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 08, 2004 19:32     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anywayz...

What I'm saying is that I can't find what true hemp is because some say its this while others say its that. I'm thinking HEMP itself could be any plant that can produce tough fibers to make rope and stuff like that.

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 08, 2004 19:35     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...but if you look up hemp its going to give reference to marijuana because marijuana is a hemp plant.
Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 08, 2004 19:37     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
portuga....THC is tetrahydrocannabinol
nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted April 08, 2004 19:49     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
got it: http://www.fact-index.com/t/te/tetrahydrocannabinol.html
Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 08, 2004 20:08     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think its pretty much the same with Hybrid cars and stuff like that. We could make all kinds of stuff that would be more effecient and less of a pollutant then the way we do things now...but look what would happen to countries whose main economical resource is oil? Eventually it is going to happen but if it happened overnight an exorbiant percentage of society would suffer. Anytime a change is made, even in the name of progress, things get shook up and this is so broadscale it would be disasterous. No one person can put a stop to the use of oil despite the fact that there are already cleaner more efficient ways to go. It must be a gradual loosening of the grip that oil money has on the world...just another frustrating example of economics.

One could easily say that PEOPLE are the problem and try to solve it that way, because its a known fact that when people come into contact with an untouched ecosystem even without vehicals...they fuck it up. I'm not saying that I don't realize that there are actual messes being made everywhere but you can only do what you can do right now. Eradicating people is murder and eradicating there number one resources use is practically murder if done too quickly, to shock the system.

Time, realistic effort and hope.
What more can you do?

...but I still wish I could smoke a doobie without being paranoid out of my mind that the world is coming down on me cause I'm a CRIMINAL. Thats just bonkers cause I know many people who don't bother smoking cause its too much trouble and wind up being total alcoholics because they need something to help them chill. I'm sorry but pot is nowhere near as bad as drinking...except for the fact that much of society is going to bear down on you for it as if you are doing some god awful thing. Some give it up...some keep doing it and suffer the consequences of being thrown in jail and called a low life and lazy and all that other bullshit.

All I know is that when I'm around other people who smoke pot that I know well, I have no problems. You just can't do that shit around people who are constantly aware of the risks...and they are right. Why do something thats gonna get you landed in jail and my answer is

CAUSE ITS NOT FUCKING FAIR!

Its stupid and hypocritical.
just look at the alcohol industry and how many people are killed each year due to booze.

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted April 08, 2004 20:29     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great link portuga.

Many studies have been done that show its not really bad for you...and as far as long term effects are concerned...how can there be any?

They have proven that it doesn't kill brain cells and the effects that it DOES have- wears off.

I have a bad memory...SOMETIMES...but I always have. If I smoke a joint and forget something, its too easy for someone to say its because I'm stoned. Why is it that sometimes being stoned helps me remember shit?
My mother forgets stuff all the time and she has never smoked. Next time she forgets something, should I accuse her of being on dope? Its all about perspective and as far as being lazy is concerned...why does being stoned inspire people to DO STUFF. How are you going to DO STUFF if you are lazy? I love to get high and clean up and make stuff look cozy. Am I lazy? No, I'm not. Sometimes I get depressed but many times I can smoke a little and let it go. One thing I can say for sure it does is slow down your reaction time expecially when you first smoke cause you need to get your shit together and afterwards you might find that while stoned you can hyperconcentrate rather than not pay attention...but in any case you shouldn't risk driving under the influence of anything even though some say it helps them drive better....which it may very well do because most people are flat out in too big of a hurry and being high might relax you and make you more aware of your speed and stuff, but you still shouldn't do it just because its an influence, but if you can't smoke anywhere else then where do ALOT of people smoke? In THEIR vehical...on the go...watching only for cars with blue lights and this is mainly directed to young drivers. If people could smoke freely in certain places they could relax and get their shit together before they did anything stupid.
...besides...people are constantly doing it anyway, everywhere, everyday. Its not like a whole lot would change out on the highways.
Its all about perspective and never being in the right posistion to see a different perspective.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted April 08, 2004 22:55     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well said...

i read this quote on the link and came to a stunning conclusion.

quote:
Other studies indicate a variety of negative effects associated with constant, long-term use, including memory loss, depression, and loss of motivation. The long-term effects of THC on humans is highly disputed

crap, that usually happens to people anyways.
we all have the 'Human Condition'

neoclassical
VoivodFan
Member # 433

posted April 09, 2004 00:22     Profile for neoclassical   Email neoclassical     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:

These people need to admit that they only want hemp to be legal because they want weed to be legal.

Most are (most stoners are useless pieces of shit - no argument there - then again, so are most people).

However, hemp (the industrial fiber) is useless as marijuana, even if you plant the seeds and start a new patch over again. It will take many, many generations to get appreciable THC out of industrial hemp.

I don't think every person should be able to use drugs with impunity. Some are expert abusers, and should be given access to whatever they want. If they die, oh well, they knew the risks.

Ann Coulter is blightwing. No comment on her. But my enduring comment here: anything we can do to stop the wholesale slaughter of planet earth is worth doing.

Whatever the human cost - that's not my problem.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 09, 2004 00:30     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good to see you back Prozac. This time stick around a bit longer. I tend to see many more interesting debates when you're around.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan