my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod to curate Roadburn festival 2012 (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Voivod to curate Roadburn festival 2012
DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted August 28, 2011 03:13     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
C'mon, I went two years in a row with my girlfriend's birthday. The 2012 edition is a lucky one for me, her birthday is on Sunday......

You can do it, I know you can

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 28, 2011 05:19     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I find his lack of faith disturbing!

I left finding a hotel until the last minute this year, and ended up in a cool place in Eindhoven. It's only 20 mins on the train to Tilburg, and it's a piece of piss to find - Just follow the hippies! The trains even have free wi-fi, that instantly tells you where you are and what time you'll be arriving at your destination. That would NEVER happen in the UK!

Beg, borrow AND steal to get there. This one could top the 2010 Wacken VVF meet!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 29, 2011 10:32     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, that does not sound the least bit promising. Just leave him at home! That's what I did with my ex when I flew to Finland for Voivod at Jalometali. Sure, I was with two beautiful, smiling and happy whilst holding hands couples for most of the trip, but I still had a blast.

Beg, borrow and steal indeed.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

dotrot_thrash
VoivodFan
Member # 1094

posted August 30, 2011 12:26     Profile for dotrot_thrash   Email dotrot_thrash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sometimes i think his lack of interest in voivod is hiding how much he actually likes them. he just doesnt want to admit it.

im gonna see what i can do to get there. going alone wouldnt be that bad since im sure i could meet up with all you fine folks and have a blast!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 31, 2011 05:13     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dotrot_thrash:
...im sure i could meet up with all you fine folks and have a blast!

This is FACT. Do it. All of you!

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted August 31, 2011 06:55     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My mom always said that a good relationship test is to wallpaper a room together. I can imagine a super intense festival like Roadburn might have the power to make or break a couple, too.

Sometimes it's more fun going to Roadburn solo cos the logistics can be extremely challenging and so without further ado:

A Pocket Guide to Attending Roadburn as a Couple

1) Agenda.

What's on your agenda? Decide in advance whether you are both cool with going your own way if you have timetable clashes during the festival.

If one or both of you have a problem with being separated due to timetable clashes, best to think twice before investing all that money to attend the festival!

If timetable clashes are a non-issue because you are planning on spending the entire time together, either congratulations on having found a carbon copy of yourself to date, or it's time to pick up a copy of the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie.

It is not unusual to be standing there together in a jampacked Green Room and feeling swept up in a blissful sonic trip while your companion is tugging your arm, trying to pull you towards the exit because they aren't digging it. What do you do?
a) give them a drink token and a kiss & say "meet you by the vegan wrap stand after this set"?
b) refuse to look at them while thinking "son of a #@$%!" while disentangling from their grip and edging closer to stage?
c) attempt to convince them of the innate awesomeness of the band, while pissing off the people around you who had likewise been lost in a reverie before this annoying couple started whining at each other?
d) leave without a word and pout for a while?
e) [fill in the blank]?

Also, the Midi Theatre shows have been some of the hottest tickets in town, as everyone who saw Voivod and Ufomammut there this year will attest. That means you may need to get there reeeeally early way before the band you are interested in seeing goes on. Which means you may have to skip part / all of something in the 013 venue. Maybe only one of you wants to make that sacrifice.

It's good to agree to let each other enjoy whatever you find enjoyable, without having to defend or nag or beg to stay/leave.

2) Self care.

Be pro-active about preventing meltdowns.

You never know when you're going to hit the wall and need to take a little timeout or tend to your blood sugar. Maybe you need to go outside for a bit and be away from people, either find a quiet bench or walk (or bike!) around. Perhaps you feel like going upstairs in the Main Hall and perching on the top balcony. Maybe it's time to get some food. It's important to be able to respect each other's needs, and not take a timeout as some kind of personal rejection.

3) Money.

It's enough to deal with from the comfort of home. On the road? A surefire fight starter if you don't watch out.

Depending on where you are coming from, festivals, including Roadburn, can be a pricy affair. Plane tix, festival tix, accommodation, domestic transpo. Those are more or less fixed costs. Now what about merch, food & drink and incidentals? Make a budget in advance, and avoid the high risk potential for fights about needing that limited edition single, or second cup of coffee.

Maybe it works best to give yourselves a personal allowance, maybe an envelope with "our festival fund" is the way to go. Whatever the case, decide in advance. Do your homework about exchange rates, and remember that paying the equivalent of 15 US dollars for a soggy sandwich at the station or airport is all part of the fun of travelling abroad. As long as you don't systematically overspend, it's not a big deal and certainly not grounds for divorce.

5) Sudden attacks of fangirl/fanboy fever.

Roadburn is a festival by the people, for the people! And so, for example, Tom G. was hanging out in the V39 merch room for hours in 2010. Along with the lovely and legendary Runhild Gammelsaeter from Thorr's Hammer. And many others. Like always.

And yet no matter how laid back as it all is, as non-celeb oriented as the scene is, you've only been listening to some of these bands for years and years, and it's normal to go into unexpected paroxysms of glee where you grab your partner and go, "look! it's..."

Don't worry: it's totally normal to be stricken with sudden attacks of fangirl/fanboy fever at Roadburn. Is this going to create tension with your significant other? Or are you free to get a little 'starstruck' before shifting into a perfectly normal everyday conversation with the artist in question?

6) Curfews and wakeup calls.

If one of you wants to close the Metal Disco and stay out til 3, is that going to be a problem? If one of you wants to be sure to get the most out of the hotel expense and go to breakfast even if it ends by 10am, is it imperative that the other joins?
Once again: communication is key.

If you decide to stay out sans partner, be sure to have a plan for getting back to the hotel / campsite / jungalow, and if you drink/use other drugs, do take care to stay with others (preferably with someone who has their wits about them). Not that Tilburg is a hotbed of criminal activity, with people lurking to attack unsuspecting festivalgoers at night, but just take care of each other.

7) Travel compatibility.

Sometimes, you don't know if you travel well as a couple until you actually try it!
Even if it doesn't work out, it's not necessarily a relationship-ender.

If you aren't sure, and you really want to go to the festival for the bands first and foremost, err on the safe side, leave your partner at home and come on over by yourself. The secondary social aspect will not be a problem. There will be lots of folks from all over to hang out with. Roadburners are found in many constellations ranging from big groups to couples, and plenty of solo travellers, too.

Cheers,
Leslie

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 31, 2011 07:43     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Leslie, I'm guessing you work as some sort of travel agent/tour guide? With your posts available, I don't think anyone could say 'nobody ever told me that'!

Also will 6 Weapons be playing at this festival? Of course they're already booked for the next 'Gathering' but I didn't know if Roadburn was hip enough for the Weapons or not.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted August 31, 2011 17:01     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aah just leave him at home. I've been fine going to festivals on my own, sometimes you have a better time that way!

--------------------

String em up

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 01, 2011 12:14     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 317537:
a) give them a drink token and a kiss & say "meet you by the vegan wrap stand after this set"?
b) refuse to look at them while thinking "son of a #@$%!" while disentangling from their grip and edging closer to stage?
e) [fill in the blank]?

(or bike!) around.

Hahaha, fuck, this was great. Thanks Leslie for the tips and the laughs. Agreed. All of those things can cause a serious meltdown and clash with a significant other. I've always enjoyed traveling alone, mostly due to my being an utter anti-social bore who'd rather look out a window than carry on a witty and involved conversation. I already know I'd be the problem - always drinking way more than I need and paying little mind to the rate exchange...I'm awful with money.
Just wish I could lug my bike round with me overseas. It's so light and zippy and I love it.

--------------------

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted September 02, 2011 03:26     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Luna: you can rent a nice clunky bike when you get here, and we won't force you to make small talk
Mez: armchair travel agent, always happy to help!

Dot: I forgot to add, if it might help your cause, remind your bf that we have coffee here.

Voivod + coffee =

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted September 02, 2011 08:30     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm saving my allowance money to go

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted September 02, 2011 09:24     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DAMN IT... JUST DAMN IT...

BTW: you are a mean person Leslie... It wasn't necessary to bring up 6 weapons to this conversation. Just when I thought everybody had forgotten about that shame to my little distant country, you come and BOOM, throw the shit bomb again. (shit weapon?)

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted September 02, 2011 10:32     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahahaha!

Awwww Igor! I wish I could find the words to express just how much amusement I got from the six weapons thread...better than lolcats

I'm fascinated by subcultures around the world (in addition to being an armchair travel agent, I'm an armchair cultural/social anthropologist, too). Just when I think I've seen it all, something else pops up. And man, that was something else all right LOL!

Don't hide your head in shame -- all countries have their six weapons. There's probably a kid in North Korea practicing his moves in front of a mirror as we speak...

Seriously, one day I hope to visit Chile (and not just for the music )

...dreaming of something like this: http://fieldguides.com/bird-tours/chile

builllllllllld yoooour siiix weaponnnnsss!

oops sorry...couldn't resist...

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted September 02, 2011 10:55     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I guess we have far more important things to be ashamed of, starting with the circus of a government we are having nowadays with their chief clown Piñera. I gotta admit I had a good laugh as well... Build your six weapons!!!! .... Haha... Fucking classic already!

Still thinking of Roadburn... decisions, decisions

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 03, 2011 23:03     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NINJA!
VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted September 05, 2011 07:26     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Roadburn is low on ninjas but high on baardmannen:
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/artikelen/artikel/44649986

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted September 26, 2011 06:52     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, just a quick update -- of course you already know about Voivod curating & treating us to two shows at Roadburn 2012, which in itself is a great reason to travel to the festival. But in case you hadn't heard, or need some added incentives to make the trip, SLEEP will be headlining Saturday. No, not at the same time as Voivod!!!

It's a one-off gig, and they'll have Jason Roeder from Neurosis on drums instead of Chris Hakius -- whether this is cause for booing and hissing or cheers is up to you, feel free to discuss and disagree. Personally I'm very excited, I never managed to catch Sleep live in the 90s!

Other names announced so far: The Obsessed (Church Within lineup); OM (obvious choice since Sleep will be there); Norway's Virus (guy from Ved Buens Ende, loved their debut "Those Who Caress the Pale" and the "Written in Waters" LP! curious what he's up to these days); Hexvessel; Solstafir -- first ever Icelandic band at Roadburn...don't wake up the volcano, please...

It's still far away, and of course we haven't even talked about who Voivod will be inviting, but it's already getting exciting!

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted September 27, 2011 04:08     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I posted too soon...

Just announced: CORONER will headline the Afterburner part of the fest on Sunday!

VoivodFan
Member # 1294

posted September 27, 2011 04:39     Profile for 317537   Email 317537     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I seem to be on a roll today, posting too early...just go here, please!
http://www.roadburn.com/2011/09/voivods-curated-event-at-roadburn-2012-named-au-dela-du-reel-swedens-anekdoten-confirmed/

Au-delà du Réel: aaaah! music to my ears already...

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted September 27, 2011 06:37     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 317537:
I posted too soon...

Just announced: CORONER will headline the Afterburner part of the fest on Sunday!

Damn, that's the only day I can't go.....

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted September 27, 2011 15:22     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes

--------------------

String em up

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 28, 2011 13:04     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod, Obsessed with Wino, Om, SLEEEEP!!!, Coroner AND a Lancia Integrale. There's candy for both ears and camera

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted September 29, 2011 04:08     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vroomfondel:
Lancia Integrale

Never heard of that band...

--------------------

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 01, 2011 11:54     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can it get any cooler?

"We asked Voivod‘s Away to do the official artwork for Roadburn 2012, and we hope to proudly unveil his design very soon. We are thrilled that his distinctive art will grace the Roadburn poster and our website."

Roadburn website

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted October 03, 2011 14:03     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn. Hey Leslie, can you put together a "Tour Bus Package" for vvf.commers? You can be our tour guide and we can pay YOU a nice hefty sum for helping us get tix, zebra hostels, clunky bicycles, weed, coffee, hangover helpers and a Welcome Package with VIP Passes and Away posters?

Okay. Now, I'm dreaming.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan