my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » DOWN Announce Canadian Headline Dates With VOIVOD (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: DOWN Announce Canadian Headline Dates With VOIVOD
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 22, 2009 15:09     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Dates have been announced for DOWN's Canadian tour with special guests VOIVOD in August. First shows confirmed include:

August
6 - Burton Cummings Theatre – Winnipeg, MB
7 - Edmonton Event Centre – Edmonton, AB
8 - MacEwan Hall – Calgary, AB
10 - Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC

http://www.bravewords.com/news/116321

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 22, 2009 19:53     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How and why?

(Forgive me but I find Down useless). Hopefully if they continue on to the states another band will tag along...............

Sean
VoivodFan
Member # 24

posted June 23, 2009 17:13     Profile for Sean   Email Sean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One more date has been confirmed for Voivod on the Down tour:

SEPT 18 Toronto, ON @ Koolhaus w/ DOWN

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 24, 2009 18:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't like DOWN, mainly because it means CORROSION OF CONFORMITY isn't active... Now that's a fuckin kick ass groovy heavy psychedelic brutal band, That would make a great co-headliner with the almighty VOIVOD!!! Bring those 2 thru the east coast and I'm fuckin there!!!
I can do without Phil "the Junkie" and his boring vocals. I preferred him better with how he sang on Vulgar Display

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted June 24, 2009 20:14     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know those guys and I still don't like Down. However, they've ALL been fans of Voivod since the beginning. For that, I'll cut them some slack.

I agree with the COC observation. I'd rather listen to anything they've put out over anything Down's ever done. Even people who listen to them say that they haven't put out anything worthwhile since the first record... and you can keep that one too, as far as I'm concerned.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 24, 2009 23:49     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dammit dammit dammit! I'm fucking working that night and there's no way to get it off now or switch the shift, but I'm damn well gonna try my hardest. I don't give 2 shits about Down, but NEED to see fucking VOIVOD! ARRRGGHH!!!
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 25, 2009 11:35     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This thread has caught a nerve here, and I'm about to hijack it:

Pantera. What's the fuss all about?

I got a bunch of mates who f'kin love that band, and cream over anything remotely related - much the same as I do with Voivod. I just don't see the attraction. It all sounds very... average to me. I mean I can see why people like it, but it's not exactly ground breaking, even in their glam days!

Going by the Down comments here (who I think are marginally better than Pantera) I'm wondering if it's just another example of the difference between voivod fans and the rest of the world. Discuss!

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 25, 2009 12:30     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved most songs from Vulgar and Far beyond driven when they were fresh. Most of it also got old quickly.
But i still really dig songs like I'm Broken and No Good. All because of good drumming and completely insane riffwork by Dimebag. That guy had flow

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 25, 2009 18:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pantera obviously has some totally obsessed fans, hence the fucker who shot Dimebag because he blamed him for breaking up the band. He shoulda shot Phil instead, since I think he was more the reason for the band end.

I agree with ya H about not thinking they were as groundbreaking as so many people made them out to be. I think they had a couple killer albums but then got stale and boring and everything sounded the same (mostly because of Phil, for me at least). I sure as hell got tired of seeing Dime on every cover of every guitar and metal magazine for so many years. I certainly didn't think Damage Plan was pushing the envelope or breaking any new ground, and the same goes for all the different bands Phil's been part of post Pantera.

I would bet money that if Dime were still alive there would have been a Pantera reunion by now to cash in on the drooling fans that would have wanted it so bad, and the corporations or sponsors that would have fronted the $$$ to make it happen.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted June 26, 2009 04:53     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was around for the "Cowboys From Hell" explosion and if you remember correctly, it came at a time when music really needed a kick in the teeth. Darryl's amazing riffs and like it or not, Phil's initial brash delivery was if not ground-breaking, an adrenaline shot to metal's flatlining corpse.

I got to be around Phil a good bit in the New Orleans scene during that ascent and it wore on me. The guy became the caricature quickly. Then again, who wouldn't have?

I was off the Pantera bandwagon before "Far Beyond Driven" came out and blew them off for more than 10 years. One night a couple years ago, I decided to give "Reinventing The Steel" a listen. In my opinion, it's way better than the previous records. Once I was able to distance myself from the hype and the crap, it still stands. Definitely worth a revisit for anyone here.

Considering who is involved with Down, I expect more. It's weak, at best.

As for milking the Pantera legacy. I don't think Darryl or Phil would be doing that at all. One thing can be said for both of those guys, they never did the same thing twice.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 26, 2009 08:17     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I don't like DOWN, mainly because it means CORROSION OF CONFORMITY isn't active... Now that's a fuckin kick ass groovy heavy psychedelic brutal band, That would make a great co-headliner with the almighty VOIVOD!!! Bring those 2 thru the east coast and I'm fuckin there!!!
I can do without Phil "the Junkie" and his boring vocals. I preferred him better with how he sang on Vulgar Display

Mike Dean and Reed Mullin have a new band right now that is not too shabby, actually:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WewTI_Kc9Mo

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 26, 2009 18:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cowboys From Hell was definitley what the metal scene needed at the time it came out. Metal had gotten very weak around that time and even the Gods of metal like Priest and Maiden were releasing very lame albums. CFH was a great album on how metal used to be and what it should have been.... brutal, fun, fast, and in your face. I still enjoy that album when I spin it. Vulgar Display upped the ante and then there were all the clone bands that emerged and flooded the scene. So many bands were signed to be next Pantera.

Just like when Dream Theater spawned a bazillion prog metal clone bands with pretentious guitar players, Neil Peart wanna be drummers and singers who had no balls and sounded like the guy from Air Supply. The market was saturated. So many "progressive" bands that never "progress".

I'll have to give Reinventing the Steel, another spin. I liked Phil when he had and used his range. After Vulgar Display he just sang heavy and sludgy with a lot less dynamics.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 26, 2009 22:28     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always liked 'Cemetary Gates' off the first album. Especially the video....but like H, everything else this band did I found extremely weak. I never understood why Dime was held in such high regard as a guitar player either. Somebody explain this to me. For me, its just like there was something seriously missing with his riffs and the music in general. The only people I knew who liked Pantera were jocks. So basically...I always thought of it as gym metal. I tried to listen to....geeezzz which one that is supposed to be so good...one of the later albums recently to see if I had been missing something before....nope, my first instinct was still right. This shit is just really poor.

Again, the reason why I think a tour with a band like Down is surprising is because they represent the complete opposite of what VoiVod is all about. I could go into more specifics here but do I really need to? I would think its fairly obvious.

Jeffs
VoivodFan
Member # 164

posted June 26, 2009 23:18     Profile for Jeffs   Email Jeffs     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
One more date has been confirmed for Voivod on the Down tour:

SEPT 18 Toronto, ON @ Koolhaus w/ DOWN

I'll be there.
Can't wait to see the band again, especially with Blacky playing...too cool.

Pantera was a 50/50 flip in my fold of friends decades ago. I was in the nay, thought there sound was cheesy.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted June 27, 2009 05:15     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhh, I think Down is doing them a favor. Just a quick observation, I may be wrong.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 27, 2009 19:38     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:
Uhh, I think Down is doing them a favor. Just a quick observation, I may be wrong.

I agree. Like them or not, they draw a big audience, and hopefully Voivod will make some new fans playing with Down. Besides, hanging out with Pepper Keenan would probably be fun anyway.

--------------------

yawn

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 28, 2009 18:23     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Uhh, I think Down is doing them a favor.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 29, 2009 05:12     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
I was around for the "Cowboys From Hell" explosion and if you remember correctly, it came at a time when music really needed a kick in the teeth.

This is the sort of Pantera related quote I get alot of the time, but just can't agree with. No offence - everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's just that when this kick in the teeth happened, bands like Entombed were melting my brain, and back then they sounded fresh, inventive and far heavier.

It's all just individual taste, of course. They are just one of those bands that never clicked for me, and I'm curious to know what other Voivod fans think, as most Pantera fans I know, don't get (or have never heard of) Voivod.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 29, 2009 09:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I certainly don't think Pantera is timeless music that I can put on anytime and think "This id fuckin genius and original" like I can with bands like Voivod, Crimson, Porcupine Tree and many others.

I think the promotion of Pantera had a lot to do with their success whereas other bands at the time who were far better, more unique, and original didn't have the promotion that Pantera had where they were in you face on the radio and shoved down your throat.

I still play Vulgar Display & Cowboys from time to time but it doesn't have the same effect on my brain as say spinning NOTHINGFACE or THE OUTER LIMITS... or a thousand other albums.

--------------------

yawn

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 30, 2009 05:13     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahaha, "Gym Metal"! Good one Mez!

I am on Harrys side with this one. "Cowboys.." sounded slick and refined, like everything that was great about metal but completely devoid of intellect. Plus, I've met an awful lot of Pantera fans who were absolute arseholes.

I've never met a VV or King Crimson or Killing Joke fan I didn't like.

Anyway, well done Voivod for getting another high profile tour - hopefully Down fans are open minded enough to give them the respect they deserve.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted June 30, 2009 13:59     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I find Pantera are good for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, any more than that and I start falling asleep.

--------------------

String em up

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 30, 2009 15:40     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mouth for war as interpreted by the portland cello project
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 30, 2009 17:29     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Uhh, I think Down is doing them a favor.

Aaaaah, bingo! Thought no one would notice that. Good or not, they will bring a lot of kids to their concerts, hopefully some of them will pay attention to the opening band, just like Schroeder stated.

On the other hand...

quote:
Originally posted by Schroeder:
Cowboys From Hell was definitley what the metal scene needed at the time it came out. Metal had gotten very weak around that time and even the Gods of metal like Priest and Maiden were releasing very lame albums.

I also don't agree with that. Just to stick with the mainstream examples you mentioned: in that same year, Priest released one of their heaviest/most influential albums, Painkiller. And don't get me started on the undergound metal scene of that period... US Death Metal, need I say more?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Sean
VoivodFan
Member # 24

posted June 30, 2009 18:12     Profile for Sean   Email Sean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is a pretty big difference between DOWN and PANTERA.DOWN is a much better band IMO. And yes, it is awesome they are taking Voivod out on the road with them, because they love their music.

I've met a few of the DOWN dudes and Jimmy Bower in particular is a great person. I think this is a great opportunity for Voivod and I am psyched to see this double bill.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 30, 2009 20:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I should have checked my dates before posting my comment if Painkiller was released the same year. For some reason I was thinking JP were still in their TurbLo and Johnny B Goode hair metal poser era.... MY BAD.
In that case than, Pantera didn't do anything to help except get promoted properly.

The underground scene has always had great bands writing killer stuff that was more mind expanding than the major label bands, and I think that will almost always be the case. There have been a few "outside the box" bands that have really appealed to the masses and sold millions and did sound like your usual radio friendly metal. TOOL comes to mind, and Pantera certainly didn't do anything different than any of the metal bands that taught them what metal was all about.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan