my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » DOWN Announce Canadian Headline Dates With VOIVOD (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: DOWN Announce Canadian Headline Dates With VOIVOD
Cthon
Member # 156

posted July 01, 2009 11:01     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
growing up in the middle of nowhere Texas maybe gave me a better appreciation of where Pantera was coming from, not that im a huge fan or that i feel its possible to defend a lot of their music. i remember first hearing them in the late 80s on Z-Rock when i was visiting Dallas. they were one of the middle of the road, more "power metal" bands on there, compared with the wimpy hair bands and the more aggressive thrash bands that got played there.

the next time i heard them was "Cemetary Gates" on the radio in the summer of 1991 and this was a pretty big thing in East Texas when Metallica had only been played one time on any radio station within ear-shot EVER. i wasnt really into them as much as most of my friends were but remember liking "Vulgar" and "Far Beyond Driven" because there were some cool riffs in there. at the time they seemed to be the only popular thrash band not trying to sell out or retread the same album over and over, so they were a Big Deal with the crowd i hung out with. i actually saw them a couple of times during this era, but they were hopelessly outclassed by the bands that opened for them ("Cleansing"-era Prong and "Chaos A.D."-era Sepultura, along with a 1996 (?) Clutch that schooled them in every way possible in an arena in their own home town).

anyways, i just thought id add to this that they really kept heavy music alive around Texas and they get my gratitude for that. there were literally hundreds of bands that would have gotten no exposure whatsoever in that barren musical landscape without Pantera as their benefactors. so they get props from me for that at least.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 01, 2009 17:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Pantera back in the CFH years a couple times. Once opening on the Suicidal Tendencies / Red Hot Chili Peppers tour (if I'm not mistaken, and once on their own at Hammerjacks where Phil impressed everyone with his crude sense of humor and his circus talents by balancing a bottle of beer on his cock while keeping his pants on... I knew they were headed for multi platinum success after that!!!

they did "tear it the fuck up" on stage.

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 02, 2009 14:41     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
balancing a bottle of beer on his cock while keeping his pants on...

ewww...now I hate Pantera! haha...kidding.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 11, 2009 17:56     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey guys, I think the date for the Winnipeg show is incorrect. Pollstar and the local media both have the following:

Wed 08/05/09 Winnipeg, MB Burton Cummings Theatre

But Ticket Hub has the 6th. Which is the correct one? I have made arrangements and will be at the show for sure!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 05, 2009 08:17     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, the gig is tonight and I'm super stoked! Some of the local papers have both the 5th and 6th as show dsates, but it's tonight. Sure hope the guys will be around so I can say hello and thanks for coming to town.
Sean
VoivodFan
Member # 24

posted August 06, 2009 10:39     Profile for Sean   Email Sean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, the show was originally going to be on the 6th and the date was released to the public originally as that, but about one week later it was corrected to the 5th....

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan