my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » KATORZ official release review (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: KATORZ official release review
collpaser
VoivodFan
Member # 820

posted July 26, 2006 12:19     Profile for collpaser   Email collpaser     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to say, after several listens i think it's growing on me.
 |  IP: Logged
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted July 31, 2006 20:18     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Splendid recording. GREAT. I am not just saying this because I am clouded by Korgull, this truly is a piece of art. And how it all happened, just WOW.

Amazing

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted July 31, 2006 20:21     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know who is talking at the end of Polaroids, well the end of the song, right before the acoustic stuff. Listen closely....

--------------------

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 31, 2006 21:20     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's Away saying "J'pense que ch'pus capable", meaning "I think i'm spent".
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted July 31, 2006 21:37     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, cool.

--------------------

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 31, 2006 22:12     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mine still hasn't arrived yet.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 01, 2006 10:39     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well fuck the Cannadian post then! haha.
(you should steal/borrow my signature)

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted August 01, 2006 11:21     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Mine still hasn't arrived yet.

same here ! Sti que j't'écoeuré d'attendre !!

fuck canada post

Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted August 01, 2006 11:32     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

I am still thinking that this is Piggy, but i'm not sure... The acoustics recordings are with all surrounding sounds (refrigerator, piggy's girlfriend talking, etc.). So why not with Piggy's voice ?

Maybe DJRam or the guys can answer that ?

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 01, 2006 11:41     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seb YB1:
I am still thinking that this is Piggy, but i'm not sure... The acoustics recordings are with all surrounding sounds (refrigerator, piggy's girlfriend talking, etc.). So why not with Piggy's voice ?

Maybe DJRam or the guys can answer that ?

I'd be tired too after doing the drums on Polaroids. It's the drums track overlapping on the interlude, basically.... plus, DJ RAM wouldve removed that part if he'd removed the fridge sound and all that other stuff, dont you think?

Besides, THAT is Michel's voice in there.

Anyway
VoivodFan
Member # 594

posted August 01, 2006 18:42     Profile for Anyway   Email Anyway     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's Piggy, confirmed.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 01, 2006 19:57     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A:
It's Piggy, confirmed.

My initial belief. Thanks for the confirmation

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted August 01, 2006 20:56     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hadn't heard that...shit...must crank at a louder volume then.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 01, 2006 21:11     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Headphones

--------------------

Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted August 01, 2006 22:28     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A:
It's Piggy, confirmed.

yeah ! never changed my mind about that !

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted August 01, 2006 23:22     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaaaiiiieeeee!!!Chaosmongers,after the most hellish work day this Tuesday,I arrive home hotter than a nuclear reactor headed for meltdown(Planet Hell-Houston heat) and my preorder for "Katorz' arrived. Along w/the cd,came a poster,sticker and a couple of packages. Took only two wks to arrive but I couldnt wait to hear it. Been listening to only a couple of minutes of each track to let it all slowly soak in-the Voivirus incubation time (describing the sound)is of a shorter gestation period with a few patented virulent strains of the familiar atmosphere-"the abridged car-crash instrumental-interlude clone of "chaosmongers' rears it's head on "Dognation"...the fractal chrome guitar sounds of Piggy permeate very loudly---amazing how they put it together-sounds like he's playing there in person with them! I also digged the "punk-krautrock diffusion with Dead Kenned-energy" on "Silly Clones"/"Mr.Clean"-"removeall"/"Odds and Frauds"/"Red My Mind"/"After All"...although "The Getaway" has some "simpler than calculus" riffage,I still liked the energy..."Polaroids" could've used some hi-tech "freezing vocal effect"(just my particular taste) and "The X-Stream" was kinda marginal(needed) one of the rainy "Angel Rat outtake",maybe "Alveolar" type bridges...Anyways,Snake's emotions really come out on this one,his "streetpuke rocker side comes out with a most direct lyrical battle". Jasonic's bass-"bat shadows side" playing comes out,especially on "Dognation". Away amazingly precise like a subatomic train track...I'm not going to compare this to other albums-its another chapter in the Voivod saga(one that I fervently hope they continue in one form or another...) This one grows on me like form-fitting replacement rictus although the structures are more "rock and granite roll-based".."No Angel" could've benefitted from better lyrics-"Your loving is a crime...WTF?" Again this will the be the one that will continue to garner many more sneak listens then a complete listen again and again...Buy the fucking disc already!!!!!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 01, 2006 23:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
great review neutronboy 2000 !!!! i'm curious how a lot of us will feel about as the months pass by and we've listened to it over and over again.

the only thing i have a hard time with on this album are some of the lyrics. they just seem odd... for a lack of a better word. I think Snake's vocals and style is phenomenal but some of the words and lines are just quirky and somewhat goofy. Just hearing the word "silly" in a song is... well... silly, when combined with the Voivod music.

--------------------

yawn

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted August 02, 2006 15:13     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Just hearing the word "silly" in a song is... well... silly, when combined with the Voivod music.

Meh, I though the same thing when I saw that they included a tune with the word 'Dummy' in it back in '91.

An interesting fact: Silly Clones was originally titled 'Silly Rabbit' but they were threatened with legal action by the cereal people.

That might not be true.

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted August 02, 2006 22:32     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind words,Schroeder and you're right about the lyrical interpretations,kinda like the direct,somewhat loosely translated political observations if the Voivod character was bereft of overt evolutionary machinations and processed things out like a music-obsessed teenage misfit from Mars(yeah,it's an overt mention of the "Misfits" song)overloading on human emotions after living among the street punks in a Canadian province that's a little too close to the U.S Border..I played the cd again today..."Silly Clones"
I'm liking this one a lot-the more blatantly "shadow-sound" of vintage emotive Voivod appears on "Dognation"...this album may yet again be the one to continually fascinate and perplex me in a good way...I hope the next part of "Katorz" steers it's way toward more intricate,labyrinthine precision structures with a greater all-encompassing doom of the last chapter of the Voivod creature......
---------------------------------------------
"....In the valley of Silly Clones,people made of styrofoam..."

Anyway
VoivodFan
Member # 594

posted August 03, 2006 08:10     Profile for Anyway   Email Anyway     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
An interesting fact: Silly Clones was originally titled 'Silly Rabbit' but they were threatened with legal action by the cereal people.

That might not be true.

Right..

The only title that changed is X-Tremetal to X-Stream.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 03, 2006 20:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A:
[QUOTE] An interesting fact: Silly Clones was originally titled 'Silly Rabbit' but they were threatened with legal action by the cereal people.

That might not be true.

Right..

The only title that changed is X-Tremetal to X-Stream.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting.
BTW: I've always loved the lyrics to Twin Dummy from the first time I heard and still enjoy it.

Watch, in another month Silly Clones will be my favorite track from Katorz

--------------------

yawn

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted August 04, 2006 15:41     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

So, here's the answer to my question, and confirmed by Annie. Just had to know.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted August 04, 2006 17:30     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
D-O-E-N RECEIVED!

I am officially katorzed!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 05, 2006 16:24     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
D-O-E-N RECEIVED!

I am officially katorzed!

Kator Zed?

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 05, 2006 16:26     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutronboy2000:
Thanks for the kind words,Schroeder and you're right about the lyrical interpretations,kinda like the direct,somewhat loosely translated political observations if the Voivod character was bereft of overt evolutionary machinations and processed things out like a music-obsessed teenage misfit from Mars(yeah,it's an overt mention of the "Misfits" song)overloading on human emotions after living among the street punks in a Canadian province that's a little too close to the U.S Border..I played the cd again today..."Silly Clones"
I'm liking this one a lot-the more blatantly "shadow-sound" of vintage emotive Voivod appears on "Dognation"...this album may yet again be the one to continually fascinate and perplex me in a good way...I hope the next part of "Katorz" steers it's way toward more intricate,labyrinthine precision structures with a greater all-encompassing doom of the last chapter of the Voivod creature......
---------------------------------------------
"....In the valley of Silly Clones,people made of styrofoam..."

Keep it a coming, Neutron, your input and interpretation are highly appreciated!!!

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan