my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Katorz Appreciation Thread! (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Katorz Appreciation Thread!
iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted May 13, 2006 15:01     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I prefer to wait... still get very tempted to d/l it by the comments in here.

blahblahblah
*i'm not listening to you*
blahblahblah

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

|  IP: Logged
JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted May 14, 2006 09:10     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've heard Katorz at least 5 times now & I'd say it's on a par with the last self-titled album: no better, no worse. Not the burgeoning epic a lot of others on this thread were shouting about. A little less produced & more like an uber demo -no harm in that, still sounds good.

The album does have a disjointed feel which I suppose is now a part of it's nature & defines it sonically -we all know how the recording came to fruition in the first place. It's actually refreshing to hear something like this in today's sterile music scene. No heavy production or concepts, just good band driven tunes with little soundscape sorbets inbetween.

And whoever said Jason recorded his bass using a 10 watt amp is wrong. He recorded the "DEMO" bass lines for this album through a 10 watt with piggy at his house; the actual bass lines were done properly in a studio, I mean why would he need to record through a 10 watt amp in an professional studio!

It is not Piggy's best nor his least music and so what, it's some of his last recordings and for that we are all grateful. I still can't wait for what else is to come...

The band all perform to the same Voivod standard.

Oh, by the way, I heard the album from a promo cd & I'm still buyin' it when released.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 14, 2006 09:44     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:
And whoever said Jason recorded his bass using a 10 watt amp is wrong. He recorded the "DEMO" bass lines for this album through a 10 watt with piggy at his house; the actual bass lines were done properly in a studio, I mean why would he need to record through a 10 watt amp in an professional studio!

Well, Jason himself said he did "record" the bass at his house! The reason as to why it probably "sounds" better than it should is quite simple: all Jason needed to do was simply record the signal...once he had that signal, Glen could push that signal through any amp set-up he wanted to use in the studio...and then by micing and re-recording that, he would have a brand new bass sound.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted May 14, 2006 10:30     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If that's true I stand corrected. Maybe Jason wanted to keep the feel of his original basslines recorded with Piggy.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 15, 2006 00:27     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I've heard Katorz at least 5 times now & I'd say it's on a par with the last self-titled album: no better, no worse. Not the burgeoning epic a lot of others on this thread were shouting about. A little less produced & more like an uber demo -no harm in that, still sounds good.

The album does have a disjointed feel which I suppose is now a part of it's nature & defines it sonically -we all know how the recording came to fruition in the first place. It's actually refreshing to hear something like this in today's sterile music scene. No heavy production or concepts, just good band driven tunes with little soundscape sorbets inbetween.

It is not Piggy's best nor his least music and so what, it's some of his last recordings and for that we are all grateful. I still can't wait for what else is to come...

The band all perform to the same Voivod standard.

Oh, by the way, I heard the album from a promo cd & I'm still buyin' it when released.

I respect your synopsis...but...Bands change dude.

It isn't the 80's anymore. Get over it.

Jump this hurdle and I think you'll be fine.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 15, 2006 08:12     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been enjoying the new album for a couple days now (think I'll spin it now as a matter of fact) ahhhh, metal in the morning .

I love it of course, how can ya go wrong with Piggy, Away, Snake, and Jasonic rockin out. I like the self titled album a lot and still play the hell out of it (along with all the other albums) and KATORZ is another masterpiece.

Yes, it's not the 80's and I've never expected another Dim Hatross, Nothingface, etc from this band. Under the cicumstances this was created the band gells better than ever and everyone performs brilliantly. It grooves, it slams, it's got edge, it's fun, it's heavy, it's different, it's fuckin' VOIVOD

The END will have by order as soon as they offer it up for presale. I can't wait to hear the better sound and see the art work of the official release.

Wasn't there something mentioned about a documentary of this album being included with the cd?

--------------------

yawn

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted May 15, 2006 08:43     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
. It grooves, it slams, it's got edge, it's fun, it's heavy, it's different, it's fuckin' VOIVOD

In my mind I was formulating a response to the criticisms above, but I reckon this says it all for me.

Everyone is fantastic on this LP but SNake deserves some special praise. He just sounds better than ever in my opinion.

Another point is that we all seem to have our favourite periods of 'vod. Some the brutality of the early work, the symphonic, modern complexity of the mid period or the soaring, highly-musical AR/ToL(mine own!) albums, Eric's rebrutalised sound... whichever!

Voivod genius remains!
Always different, always the same.

(Well, maybe your quote didn't quite say it all for me then, Schroeder)

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted May 15, 2006 18:57     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuke Fewz:
I respect your synopsis...but...Bands change dude.

It isn't the 80's anymore. Get over it.

Jump this hurdle and I think you'll be fine.

Who said anything about the 80's, I was just giving a sober opinion. Some people were going over the top about this album, I am not, get over it.

Voivod were a band who improved as they grew into their style. Before Piggy died they were probably a better band than they were in the 80's.

I just criticise the hype that some albums get. I thought their last album was one of their best along with Nothingface & the outer limits etc... albums not even made in the 80's.

So getiing over the 80's is a bullshit argument as far as I can see since Voivod are a band out of time in the first place. Their albums were brilliant to the end. Looking back on their young days in another decade has nothing to do with it. They ended up being a better band than back then in my opinion.

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted May 16, 2006 18:33     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After listening several times here'a an extensive discription of Katorz

sounds voivodian

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 16, 2006 18:40     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Who said anything about the 80's, I was just giving a sober opinion. Some people were going over the top about this album, I am not, get over it.

That was their opinions, just like yours, I wouldn't go so far as to call it hype. Hype is something that is insincere.

I'm over it

--------------------

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted May 17, 2006 07:44     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
That was their opinions, just like yours, I wouldn't go so far as to call it hype. Hype is something that is insincere.

I'm over it

Yeah but you qouted me.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 17, 2006 08:28     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Who said anything about the 80's, I was just giving a sober opinion.

Sober opinion? Wrong forum!

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted May 17, 2006 08:43     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maldororz:
[QB]Sober opinion? Wrong forum!

of course the cliche that all rockers are drunkards, love drink and give the finger whenever a picture is taken of them.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 17, 2006 09:16     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, some of us flag the v's!

By the way - The album kills. It has a massive sense of urgency that the last one missed. I know that the whole download thing is frowned upon, but I'm to addicted to this shit, and who's fault is that, eh??! © 2006 pass-the-buck ltd.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 17, 2006 10:17     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Favorite moment on Katorz:

Starting at the 2:44 mark in 'Dognation'.

Slayage.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 17, 2006 11:47     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
Favorite moment on Katorz:

Starting at the 2:44 mark in 'Dognation'.

Slayage.

Fuck man, i was going to say that and i wanted to open a new post with favorite part of the album and then i would point to exactly this part..

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 17, 2006 12:27     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That part kinda reminds me of a GWAR song off the Scumdogs album. Must be the drum beat.
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 17, 2006 12:43     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It sounds to me like they're moments away from heading into the bridge riff (with the polka beat ) on Chaosmongers.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 17, 2006 12:52     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
(with the polka beat ) on Chaosmongers.

Come again? Can you explain that one further?

I know there is a waltz in "Forgotten in Space", but I can't figure that polka beat...

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 17, 2006 13:32     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
Come again? Can you explain that one further?

I know there is a waltz in "Forgotten in Space", but I can't figure that polka beat...

The riffing and beat behind these lyrics:

Straight...ahead from you
Blame...is waiting for you
Hate...all over you
Rage...against you too

It always reminded me of a polka with the 2/4 signature...

"Ze Chaosmonnnngers preferrr to get awayyyyyy"

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 17, 2006 15:12     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Yeah but you qouted me.

I thought YOU were over it.

Who the hell are you anyways...Sound like a dis-ease

--------------------

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 17, 2006 18:02     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the beginning of 'Silly Clones' is pretty disco (in a good way).

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted May 17, 2006 18:09     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The first couple of verses of 'Silly Clones' reminds me of Jello Biafra, the way Snake sings it. We all know Voivod love a bit of DK!!!
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 17, 2006 19:17     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's such a great record to dissect! (the album... not someone you love)
JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted May 17, 2006 19:32     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I thought YOU were over it.

Who the hell are you anyways...Sound like a dis-ease

Yeah but you keep comin' back like bad penny.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan