my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » NHL, players reach deal to end lockout (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Author Topic: NHL, players reach deal to end lockout
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 03, 2005 03:58     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MODANO LEFT DALLAS? WTF!?

TO BOSTON???

I am sitting here in shock.
Looks like those LA Kings will beat up on Dallas pretty good this year.
Phoenix too.

AAARRRGGGHHH! I am depressed now.

|  IP: Logged
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 03, 2005 12:36     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Number 6:
MODANO LEFT DALLAS? WTF!?

TO BOSTON???

I am sitting here in shock.
Looks like those LA Kings will beat up on Dallas pretty good this year.
Phoenix too.

AAARRRGGGHHH! I am depressed now.

Never trust "reports" until they say a contract has actually been signed. ESPN.com is saying he's staying with Dallas, on a 5-year contract at an extremely reasonable price. Of course, it's not official yet either.

Meanwhile, Chris Pronger has been traded to Edmonton, which means when Dallas and Edmonton inevitably meet in the first round of the playoffs, Edmonton might actually have a chance for a change!

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted August 03, 2005 12:59     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's the first time I heard that Modano rumor. The word in LA is he'll be back in Dallas, but like meg says, you're never sure until the ink is dry.

Also, I've heard two rumors regarding Palffy. One is that LA is high on his list of teams to play for and that the Kings would love to have him back. The other rumor is that Toronto is interested in Allison.....and Palffy might be so interested in playing with Allison again that he'd consider following him.
I've heard absolutely nothing about Deadmarsh, other than he is not a King.

As for wishlists, I think I'd wet my pants if the Kings signed Forsberg.

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 03, 2005 13:03     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
As for wishlists, I think I'd wet my pants if the Kings signed Forsberg.

So would I.

--------------------

Supercharged Ultimate LivingEvil
unregistered

posted August 03, 2005 13:15       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah i don't think Forsberg will be coming back to the Avs.

Calgary signed Tony Amonte and Darren McCarty.

IP: Logged
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 03, 2005 13:35     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Calgary has also resigned Jarome Iginla.

And I wouldn't be too hasty on the Forsberg thing. Markus Naslund has reportedly resigned with the Canucks and I doubt they can afford Forsberg too, so the whole "we want to play on the same team" thing is probably out. With Adam Foote gone to the Blue Jackets, the Avs have a little more to play with.

--------------------

unregistered

posted August 03, 2005 14:33       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mike Modano is expected to re-sign with the Dallas Stars, with an announcement coming as early as Wednesday, ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek reports.

The news resolves a hectic 24 hours for Modano, who also fielded offers from Boston, Atlanta and Chicago before accepting the Stars' offer of a five-year deal worth $17.75 million that would allow the veteran center to end his career in Dallas. The Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday night that the Stars were close to signing Modano

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 03, 2005 16:16     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Orrrrrrrrr NOT. Modano has apparently rejected the Stars offer, after a night to "sleep on it." He will continue to talk to other teams. But it's never over until a contract is signed. And actually I'm not too surprised, sure 5 years is good, but "only" $3.55 million? Bet they work out something shorter-term, with higher annual. I'd see him getting $4.5 - $5 million in this market. From someone, not necessarily the Stars.

And in other news, Brian Leetch has signed with the Bruins. This whole free-agent thing is very exciting, isn't it? Seems like every half hour or so there's new hockey news....after months with NO hockey news.

--------------------

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted August 03, 2005 18:05     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You said it Meg! Exciting is an understatement!

Calgary Flames sign forward Jarome Iginla.

Dallas Stars sign defenceman Martin Skoula.

Montreal Canadiens sign winger Alexei Kovalev and defenceman Mathieu Dandenault.

Pittsburgh Penguins sign defenceman Sergei Gonchar.

Islanders sign Satan

Rangers get Rucinsky

Oilers get Peca in a trade

unregistered

posted August 03, 2005 19:00       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OILERS OBTAIN MIKE PECA FROM N.Y. ISLANDERS

damn with Pronger & Peca on the same team maybe a Canadian team will make it to the Stanley Cup Finals.
I would love to see it.

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 03, 2005 19:05     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Weren't you watching the last time there was a Stanley Cup Finals? Last time I checked Calgary was still in Canada.

As for the Oilers, don't get carried away there. They've traded for a great defenseman and a great checker. Now they need someone who can actually score. I could see them getting to the playoffs and maybe even making it out of the first round, but the Finals are a huge stretch at this point. Mind you, anything can happen in a 7-game series.

On a completely depressing note (for me), Forsberg has apparently signed with the Flyers. The price tag is rather surprising, because frankly I would have thought the Avs could have managed that much. It would have been a stretch, but should have been doable. *sigh*

--------------------

unregistered

posted August 03, 2005 19:46       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Calgary? you call that a team? i would like a good Canadian team which means Toronto,Montreal or the Oilers not none of those hack teams!LOL

HAHAHAHAHA

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 04, 2005 02:33     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Meg, have you ever considered a career as a professional sports analyst? Seriously man!

Hey, I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on the rule changes and new rink dimensions. (especially you, MEG ) Here's a good rundown:

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html

I'm still deciding whether any of this stuff will make a truly noticeable difference, but so far I'm all for a few changes to:

A. help the flow of the game
B. increase the watchability (and therefore the popularity) of the game
and
C. allow the skilled offensive players to 'flaunt their talents' for once.

We shall see...

BTW, I REALLY DIG the shootout scenario

P.S. sorry Meg, but Forsberg + Philly = 1 big FUCKYEAH
(I just hope he doesn't embarass the team with any of those pathetic pooftah diving routines of his)

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

unregistered

posted August 04, 2005 08:20       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pierre Turgeon and Patrice Brisebois sign two-year contracts with Avalanche
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted August 04, 2005 11:24     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The rumors here in LA is that Roenick could be coming to LA via a trade. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.....I have to see what the Kings are willing to give up before reacting. But who wouldn't like Roenick on there team. I like his game.
But like the rest of the planet, I would have rather had Forsberg.

The only rule change I don't like is the legalizing of two line passes. Instead of changing the space between lines, legalizing two line passes, limiting the goalies range of play, etc., they should have just made the ice European size. That's my opinion. World and olympic hockey is the best hockey because of the huge ice size (IMO). Those leagues are skilled friendly AND fierce.
And I'm all for the shootout.

But rule change or no rule change, I'm just stoked hockey is back!

By the way, the Kings are also being said to be very interested in Palffy and Kariya. If we get all three, now we're talking!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 04, 2005 11:33     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Madono stays in Dallas! Yeaaaaaaaaa!
You are still doomed, MrMustard. hehehe.

Calgary IS the greatest Canadian Team (of recent years).
This was proven when they went to the finals...and no other Canadian team did.

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 04, 2005 13:01     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The only rule change I don't like is the legalizing of two line passes. Instead of changing the space between lines, legalizing two line passes, limiting the goalies range of play, etc., they should have just made the ice European size. That's my opinion. World and olympic hockey is the best hockey because of the huge ice size (IMO). Those leagues are skilled friendly AND fierce.
And I'm all for the shootout.

While I'd be in favor of larger ice, there was no way that would ever happen. They'd have to take out seats in order to enlarge the ice, and that means reducing the number of paying customers (or POSSIBLE paying customers anyway, since who knows how many sellouts we'll be seeing for a while).

I like most of the rule changes. Two-line passes can make for very exciting breakaway plays, so I'm looking forward to see how that works out. I also like the idea of shootouts, in the regular season at least. I assume they left in the usual playoff overtime format, though. (I love long playoff overtime games!)

I like the new icing rules too - teams can no longer intentionally ice the puck to get a line change. That should lead to some scoring chances when you've got the defensive team gasping for breath.

Tag-up offsides should be nice too. How many times has a great odd-man rush been whistled down because the second (or third) man in the rush crossed the blueline before the puck carrier? Usually damn near throwing his hip out trying to keep a toe on the line, at that.

Now, as for the "zero tolerance" on hooking, holding, interference, obstruction, whatever you wanna call it.....how many times have we heard this? Every damn year? If they actually do it, Ilya Kovalchuk should lead the league in goals with about 70. I'll believe it when I see it.

--------------------

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 04, 2005 13:05     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And as for the Avs signing Turgeon and Brisebois as "replacements" for Forsberg and Foote....bah!

I'll reserve judgement on Turgeon. Hopefully the year of rest will have helped, 'cause he was less than impressive the last couple years. I dunno about Breeze-by though. Meh.

--------------------

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted August 04, 2005 18:01     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know bigger ice in the NHL is just a fantasy. I was just thinking out loud. Although, I think the arguments against it are lame. I know it would mean fewer seats, but like you acknowledged, that's not necessarily a bad thing for most teams. As a matter of fact, fewer seats might mean more sell outs for more teams. And more sellouts means better local TV revenue....just a thought.
As for the two line pass rule, I believe college hockey already allows a two line pass. It should open up the game a bit.
And rest assure, Meg, the shootouts will not be implemented in the playoffs. I'm also a sucker for a triple overtime win in hockey at 1am in the morning on a work night! There's nothing better or more suspensful. It's the best playoffs in sports!
As for your Avs, Brisebois is more of an offensive D-man than Foote. Foote was just nasty! And I mean that in a good way. Probably the most underrated D-man today. Wish we could have got 'em!
And while Turgeon is no Forsberg, my guess is that he'll be so much better in Colorado than he had been anywhere else lately. He'll have some nice talent around him.

And oh yeah.....the Kings picked up Roenick. Not a bad pickup.

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 04, 2005 19:20     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Foote is more offensively capable than most people give him credit for. I do think the Avs will be fine defensively without him, they have other guys who can be physical (at least I haven't seen anybody laughing yet after one of Rob Blake's hip checks) but the Blue Jackets better appreciate him! I expect he'll be a great help in the development of their young defensemen, especially a guy like Rostislav Klesla. I'll miss watching Footer dump guys over the boards though. Helping them back onto the bench, so to speak.

Worst part of Foote and Forsberg going elsewhere is my mom - she's acting like a 3-year-old child. Sighing and whining and threatening to switch her loyalties to Calgary. Why Calgary, I could not tell you. Maybe she doesn't know they didn't resign Ville Nieminen. He was always one of her faves. She even has a parakeet named after him.

Ok, I admit it...I named the parakeet. I figured since the other one was named Sami Kapanen we should stick with the Finns.

--------------------

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted August 04, 2005 19:26     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You got that right! I had the pleasure of watching Blake come into the league and play for the Kings all those years. It still hurts me to see him in an Avs uniform to be honest. But at least you guys appreciate him and got him a Cup. He was always my favorite King. I still love his game.
But we sure fell in love with Deadmarsh quickly. And Aaron Miller has been nothing bud solid for us as well. But too bad Deadmarsh's career is in jeopardy. Not just too bad for the Kings, but for hockey. Truly one of the most passionate players aout there. The Avs are a great hockey organization. You guys sure know how to pick 'em and breed 'em.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted August 05, 2005 00:21     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Ok, I admit it...I named the parakeet. I figured since the other one was named Sami Kapanen we should stick with the Finns.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted August 05, 2005 02:56     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
You got that right! I had the pleasure of watching Blake come into the league and play for the Kings all those years.

You got that right. Blake's always been one of my favorite D-men; with that rocket shot, PP skills & crushing open-ice hits. Nice guy too, I met him at training camp in '94 or '95.

And THIS is what I'm talkin' about NOW:

I've wanted to see this fucking picture for more than a decade. WTG Kings!

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

unregistered

posted August 05, 2005 13:10       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin, has a new home.
CHICAGO

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted August 05, 2005 14:38     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And Scott Niedermayer signed with Anaheim. Bit of a blow for the f****** New Jersey Devils. What a shame...

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan