my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Probot: an instant review (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Probot: an instant review
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 09, 2004 10:05     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just quick observations after one single listen:

1. Centuries of Sin (Cronos): fucking rules.
2. Red War (Max Cavalera): sounds like a Choas AD leftover, great!
3. Shake Your Blood (Lemmy): what do you think?
4. Access Babylon (Mike Dean): lacking the violence of early C.O.C. but still cool, plus it's 87 seconds long.
5. Silent Spring (Kurt Brech): makes me wanna start a moshpit right here right now.
6. Ice Cold Man (Lee Dorian): Pretty good doom.
7. The Emerald Law (Wino): blah. skip.
8. Big Sky (Tom Warrior): more like an less industrial Appolyon's Son than CF... was expecting better.
9. Dictatorsaurus (Snake): vocals better mixed than last VV album, isnt a VV ripoff either. Chorus sounds like Billy Corgan on vocals. Best song on the album.
10. My Tortured Soul (Eric Wagner): good song. heavy.
11. Sweet Dreams (King Diamond): hauntingly beautiful.

There you have it.

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 09, 2004 10:13     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:

Skul... you're a fine upstanding individual, but have you recieved a knock on the head lately? This is the best track by far. It fucking rocks. You're spot on about the 'vod track though. Snake's vox and the entire production are excellent. Just a bit too 'pop' in places.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 09, 2004 10:18     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lemme remind you that was based on the first listen, at 8:30am, as i was wakin' up. hehe. I'm sure that Wino track will grow on me sometime later.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 09, 2004 10:26     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
heh heh.. I should probably point out that I'd had a few beers when I heard it, so I might not like it next time round! I kinda doubt it though as it was a real stand-out track for me. Can't wait to get hold of a copy and give it a spin or 20. Overall it is looking likely to be album of the year - although Piggy may have something to say about that!
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 09, 2004 13:05     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
skul, you get up at 8:30 am???
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted January 09, 2004 13:31     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ouch

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted January 09, 2004 13:47     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes. 8:30 am, Japan time.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 09, 2004 14:03     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yah.,.. cuz i was up early every day during the holidays and i'm still in that kinda mindset.
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted January 09, 2004 14:07     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
8:30's not early. I'm at work by then! Or at least I'm supposed to be at work by then...

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 09, 2004 14:37     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Yah.,.. cuz i was up early every day during the holidays and i'm still in that kinda mindset.

yeah, that's been my excuse for getting up 3 hours late, heh.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 09, 2004 16:03     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
8.30????

Try 5.45am Monday to Friday and sometimes Saturday too.

But there is an advantage...I'm home by 4pm

--------------------

Hail Santa...

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted January 09, 2004 17:03     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup, have to agree with skul here.
Dictatorsaurus is a great song.
Isn't it even a bit Piggriffish once and a while ?

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted January 09, 2004 18:30     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

oh my... time to open up a can of wupass

i have not heard the song yet, tomorrow when i get up at 5:10am eastern US time mabye i will give it a spin, if i can find it tonite ?

totally sucks i have to work every other saturday along with my 10hrs a day thru out the week. this shit is gonna have to stop SOON

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 09, 2004 19:34     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now that i have quite a few beers in my belly, i get it now. Heh.

The Wino track is the most advanced track on the record. Most of 'em are more straight-up. So yah, i like it now. The Eric Wagner track is also better to my ears now than it was this morning. And the Snake track, well, it's the most commercial on the whole record. I dont hear much piggisms in it tho, but i still say the chorus sounds like a Smashing Pumpkins song. Mind you, "Siamese Dream" is still one of my favorite records of all time (so heavy yet so lush). But the Tom Warrior track is the biggest letdown anyway. I was expecting his notorious "OOOH!" rasp, all we get is his forced low range we get on his later recordings. Ah well. No big deal though... i still love him.

Back to drinkin'.

Hey nia, Steph sez hi

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 09, 2004 21:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The new REVOLVER mag had a GREAT interview with GROHL on the Probot release and he said a bunch of great stuff about how VOIVOD were gods and changed the way metal was played.
Where did you listen to this? Is it online or did the vinyl get released already, and I didn't order it.

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 09, 2004 21:33     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nah man, nothing fancy... just my shrewd mp3 ways... remember last year with the new VV record? Exactly.

I'm not one to toot my own horn (my gut gets in the way), but I got plugs, daddy!

EDIT:
Oh fuck this... I dont give a flying fuck about the backlash i could get from this.. I'm tough like that. hehe. Here's my gift to all my buds (shit, all y'all):Dictatosomething

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 09, 2004 22:05     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snake sounds fucking great in this, man. That's the way his voice should be mixed. Thanks for the track, Skul. BTW, if you're on slsk, this album's all over the joint.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 09, 2004 22:52     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
fucking awesome. i cant believe how many "pre-hatas" this album has had among metal peeps. dumb.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted January 10, 2004 00:08     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
great track. Thanks, Skul! And for the "review"...I don't think I've heard most of those other vocalists so it'll be interesting to hear the full album.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 10, 2004 06:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SKUL for President!!!
Thanks, it's got my vote!!!

--------------------

yawn

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted January 10, 2004 08:31     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the preview, Skul. May I be bold enough to say that Dictatorsaurus is my favorite song with Snake's vocals in the past decade? Okay I will. And I did.
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted January 10, 2004 17:42     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Lee Dorian song is amazing!

Have a feeling that i'm going to play old Cathedral stuff for a few weeks here thanks to Mr Grohl

This will certainly be my next buy.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 10, 2004 21:56     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry man, but King Diamond fucking SUCKS ASS.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted January 11, 2004 01:05     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Dave on why he choose each vocalist:
LINK

Also see Dave's ultimate metal metal CD:
LINK

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted January 11, 2004 16:08     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the links, Varc! Dave really knows his game... I never thought this dude was a metalhead, but as it seems the guy spent his teen years listening to the same shit as we did...

And I just loved the Snake track!! Thanks for the post, Skul! It sounds like a Voïvod song with a poppier chorus.
Did you guys notice that both this song and the Die Krauzen cover sound more like late-80's Voïvod than the band's last record? Maybe it'll inspire them to write more psychedelic/spacial songs for the upcoming CD...

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan