my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Probot: an instant review (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Probot: an instant review
Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted January 11, 2004 23:45     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
“Centuries Of Sin” w/ Cronos (Venom)
“Red War” w/ Max Cavalera (Soulfly, Sepultura)
“Shake Your Blood” w/ Lemmy (Motorhead)
“Access Babylon” w/ Mike Dean (Corrosion of Conformity)
”Silent Spring” w/ Kurt Brecht (DRI)
”Ice Cold Man” w/ Lee Dorrian (Cathedral, Napalm Death)
”the Emerald Law” w/ Wino (St. Vitus, Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, Place of Skulls)
”Big Sky” w/Tom G. Warrior(Celtic Frost /Apollyon Sun)
”Dictatorsaurus” w/ Snake (Voivod)
”My Tortured Soul” w/ Eric Wagner (Trouble)
”Sweet Dreams” w/ King Diamond (Mercyful Fate)
+ bonus track: WILL BE A SURPRISE

Hey, have you noticed? there's a bonus track!

Who's the vocalist? guesses?

--------------------

>>> C'est fini l'école...à souère c'est Voïvod! <<<
-Snake, december 1984

|  IP: Logged
Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted January 11, 2004 23:51     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hummm, let's see!!!!

I still think it could be Tom Araya even if Dave explain why he doesn't choose him. (as seen on Blabbermounth.

Well, my other guess is (pardon me) James Hetfield!!!

What's yours?

--------------------

-Snake, december 1984

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted January 12, 2004 00:16     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ozzy?

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 12, 2004 01:42     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the preview and review Skul! This album, I cannot wait to hear! Cheers!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 12, 2004 09:38     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like this comment from Dave Grolsh:

"Snake from Voivod has a strong accent, so does Tom G Warrior (from Switzerland's Celtic Frost). Like Max, the fact that these guys have unusual deliveries only makes them more sinister. They sound like foreign military sergeants barking out orders."

Underbrain
VoivodFan
Member # 183

posted January 16, 2004 15:51     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
there's a probot bit torrent on http://www.Suprnova.org if anybody is interested in it.

Probot Bit Torrent here

i'm gonna buy the thing anyways, but just can't wait to hear it.

here's a bit torrent info page for those who've never used this P2P technology.

underbrain

--------------------

The future is here, and how.
\m/_ VOIVOD _\m/

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 16, 2004 16:15     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Love the Dorrian, Wino, Snake and Lemmy tracks. Good stuff, better than I expected!
Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 16, 2004 17:31     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
they say the bonus song is Jack Black "I am the Warlock", haha.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted January 27, 2004 09:07     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, my record dealer says "the guy from Voivod is playing guitar on this album (or at least on the single)"... but I don't quite believe him...

could it be?
anybody heard about this?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 27, 2004 10:12     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A friend of mine sent me a cdr of the complete cd (no bonus track however) and I gotta say that thins could easily be the metal album of the year. Grohl did a remarkable job of writting these songs geared for each singer. If these were on the cds of the bands that the singer comes from, they would be some of the best material they would have released.

Three cheers to Grohl for bringing these guys back into the spotlight and getting them some long overdue recogition.

--------------------

yawn

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted January 27, 2004 18:59     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
they say the bonus song is Jack Black "I am the Warlock", haha.

Well, I think you're right it's Jack Black on the bonus track.
LOOK at him, he's wearing a Probot shirt.

--------------------

-Snake, december 1984

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 27, 2004 19:05     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
COOL!!!
The advantages of being a star... a free t shirt designed by the one and only AWAY!!!

--------------------

yawn

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted January 28, 2004 12:03     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've just received a promotional Probot CD from Southern Lord and am listening to it now! The only thing I can say is: does it rock!!

Unfortunately the copy I've got has no insert with lyrics (an usual promo). There ain't no bonus track in the promo either.

I'll let you know my fave tracks once I give it another spin.

UPDATE: 5 killer tracks so far!

1- "Centuries of Sin" (w/ Cronos) is so damn powerful!! The guy's voice is still great!
2- "Red War" is the best thing Max recorded since he left Sepultura! Sounds like a lost "Chaos AD" track;
3- "Shake Your Blood" (w/ Lemmy) is as great as any Motörhead song can get;
7- "The Emerald Law" (w/ Wino) is, IMHO, the more intrincate song on the CD. Great guitar work too;
9- "Dictatosaurus", the famous Snake song, is simply wonderful! I already had it on MP3 and loved it. Sounds like late-80's Voïvod with a poppier chorus. Classic.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 28, 2004 15:12     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, when is Probot to be released again?
And how do I get my paws on that awsome shirt?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted February 02, 2004 03:15     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
OK, when is Probot to be released again?

Official release date is feb 10th

quote:
from Southern Lord's Probot page:
Bubba Dupree from Void is on the Mike Dean track

ahem, I should have read this first...
So it's the guitarist from Void, not Voivod. Bubba, not Piggy.
sorry for the confusion

btw, my fav tracks:
Ice Cold Man: amazing song. beautiful. I like what Dave says about Lee and this song ("His track is one of my absolute favourites, it came back 10 times better than I'd imagined")
Dictatorsaurus, and
Access Babylon!! (sounds like I really have to try the early C.O.C...)

SpAcEmOnGeR
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 415

posted February 21, 2004 02:27     Profile for SpAcEmOnGeR   Email SpAcEmOnGeR     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i just bought it the other day. Cronos has gotta be at least 40 by now and he still sounds like an insane monster.hearing his "rarrghh COME ONNNNN" and his grunts and howls is great.cool spit and slober on the mike ending to that track too.Dictatorsaurus is good, but i thought Snake's vox sound the lightest on the whole album. i guess with vocalists like these hearing a jetliner take off could be considered easy listening though too.great to hear max,dean,bredt,warrior,lemmy voices on new stuff again.this album is not leaving my car stereo until my steering wheel falls off from drumming, which may not be too far away.so much energy, metal with BALLS!!nice to see Kim Thayil credits on a couple songs too.my guess was Grohl does his own vocals on the last song.cool to see Jack Black wearing a Probot shirt also.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted February 21, 2004 08:15     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this is my new favorite album. i finally checked out the liner notes. fucking amazing all the parts that Grohl played. hes a real badass.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted February 21, 2004 15:24     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally think that it sounds great. My fave track for the mo is 'Ice Cold Man'.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 02, 2004 20:34     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been listening to Probot for about a week now, and I think my current favorite tune is Eric Wagner's My Tortured Soul. I've never heard Trouble and man oh man, I love this guys voice. I also think the Snake tune is my least favorite of them all. The Jack Black song is fucking funny as hell..."look deep into my sceptor". Chuckles.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 05, 2004 20:38     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, this one is on my list for sure. Especially after reading the excellent article in the latest Terrorizer. Great article, Fucking Great magazine. Worth every penny of the 7 dollars paid.
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted March 11, 2004 10:38     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
fukk I just finished listening to the Probot album, this is my top 5 list so far:

1/ Sweat Dreams feat. King Diamond
2/ Dictatosaurus feat. Snake
3/ Access Babylon feat. Mike Dean
4/ Centuries of Sin feat. Cronos
5/ The hidden track

I must say that Big sky feat. Tom warrior has yet to grow on me...

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted March 11, 2004 20:43     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good stuff. Especially the Eric Wagner tune. I'm going to have to re-visit some of those Trouble records.
Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted March 12, 2004 18:29     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
I also think the Snake tune is my least favorite of them all.

I think that song fuckin' rocks!! I was wondering how Snake managed to add such great vocals and chorus to a simple song structure like that. The guy is a genious!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 12, 2004 20:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Eddy:
I think that song fuckin' rocks!! I was wondering how Snake managed to add such great vocals and chorus to a simple song structure like that. The guy is a genious!

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 16, 2004 00:54     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got it two days ago. I was greatly impressed with everything on there.

Two standouts for me:

Lee Dorrian tune(Ice Cold Man?)
Wino tune

Man, I'd heard so much about wino from you guys so when i first heard it i said HUH? I dont hear anything hear. But then after a couple of more listens, I have to say WOW.

The Snake song sounds like something off a lost Phobos b-side. I loved it.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan