my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Rolling Stone Top 100 Guitaris (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Rolling Stone Top 100 Guitaris
Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted September 08, 2003 00:01     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1 Jimi Hendrix
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3 B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
8 Ry Cooder
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11Kirk Hammett of Metallica
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
17 Jack White of the White Stripes
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave
27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
28 Stephen Stills
29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges
30 Buddy Guy
31 Dick Dale
32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service
33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
35 John Fahey
36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's
37 Bo Diddley
38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac
39 Brian May of Queen
40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival
41 Clarence White of the Byrds
42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson
43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic
44 Scotty Moore
45 Frank Zappa
46 Les Paul
47 T-Bone Walker
48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith
49 John McLaughlin
50 Pete Townshend
51 Paul Kossoff of Free
52 Lou Reed
53 Mickey Baker
54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane
55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple
56 Tom Verlaine of Television
57 Roy Buchanan
58 Dickey Betts
59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead
61 Ike Turner
62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band
63 Danny Gatton
64 Mick Ronson
65 Hubert Sumlin
66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour
67 Link Wray
68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape
69 Steve Howe of Yes
70 Eddie Van Halen
71 Lightnin' Hopkins
72 Joni Mitchell
73 Trey Anastasio of Phish
74 Johnny Winter
75 Adam Jones of Tool
76 Ali Farka Toure
77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat
78 Robbie Robertson of the Band
79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps (1997)
80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids
81 Derek Trucks
82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
83 Neil Young
84 Eddie Cochran
85 Randy Rhoads
86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath
87 Joan Jett
88 Dave Davies of the Kinks
89 D. Boon of the Minutemen
90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper
91 Robby Krieger of the Doors
92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5
94 Bert Jansch
95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine
96 Angus Young of AC/DC
97 Robert Randolph
98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer
99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag
100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

I don't agree with most of this at all

|  IP: Logged
Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted September 08, 2003 01:51     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know. It's crap. Kirk Hammett at #11? Kurt Cobain #12? Jerry Garcia on the list at all? I didn't even know he played guitar. Jack White #17 - he's done I believe one album total! Give him a little time to prove himself before you start putting him in the top 20 guitarists of all time!

Then they put on a bunch of obscure blues guitarists in an attempt to prove their "knowledge" - while leaving off any number of highly influential musicians. Angus Young barely makes the list, and Eddie Van Halen is 10 places lower than Ike Turner.

Stupid list.

Megan

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted September 08, 2003 01:56     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Me neither. Kurt Cobain? This list should be renamed as "The guitarists with most prestige among the Rolling Stone writers and readers" IMO. And leaving Piggy out? Why the hell? I bet they just forgot or didn't even know about him in the first place. He should be among the top ten for his originality alone!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 08, 2003 03:27     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cobain, Hammett, and The Edge beat out Robert fucking Fripp for a top spot? WTF?! No Piggy (most criminally underrated guitarist alive) in sight? What a pile of shit list this is! I wouldn't even line my cat's litter box with Rolling Stone... what a shit rag.
Motordeth
VoivodFan
Member # 153

posted September 08, 2003 05:27     Profile for Motordeth   Email Motordeth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's wrong with Kirk Hammett? Its a great guitarist! The list is not really good but, well its Rolling Stone...
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted September 08, 2003 06:51     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's been said around here before how irrelevant lists are? Yep. For instance, the 'typical Rolling Stone reader' would laugh their asses off at my top ten albums of all time. Not enough 'important artists' on it, to be sure.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 08, 2003 07:57     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The top 100 middle of the road mail-order record collection by people so fucking old and out of touch they write for Rolling Stone. Fuck Rolling Stone. Jefferson Airplane for fucks sake!

Lists make me very angry as you all know, but this one makes me livid!!!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 08, 2003 08:08     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Emlyn - how about we have a list of things that make you very angry?!

1. Lists
2. Lists about lists
3. People who don't like Judas Priest.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 08, 2003 08:14     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where's ADRIAN BELEW?
Where's SATRIANI (he fuckin taught Hammet, although you'd never know it)
Where's PIGGY (I don't know of anyone that sounds like him)
Where's CAVESTANY?

These guys are often imitated but NEVER duplicated and alway under appreciated.

at least FRIPP got a little respect.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 08, 2003 08:26     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And where's Randy Rhodes? Tony Iommi? 85 and 86? are you HIGH??? Hehe.

Lists are stewpeed.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 08, 2003 08:56     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Sikorsky:
Lists make me very angry as you all know, but this one makes me livid!!!

Wait til Tangento sees this. It's gonna be HELL!!!

Fuck Rolling Stone.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 08, 2003 09:21     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Crap list, mirrors the quality readers of Rolling Stone. Of course there are some missings, the most relevant ones, alone for their originality, being Piggy, Satriani (well pointed, schroeder) and Yngwie Malmsteen. The guy may be a schmuck, but surely a talented one.

Oh, BTW, were Zappa still alive, he would collapse for seeing his name on the list and not seeing Steve Vai's. But, as it was already said in a better way here, it's Rolling Stone, one has to be condescendent.

VoivodFan
Member # 358

posted September 08, 2003 11:16     Profile for 000   Email 000     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
uuufff. Bad list! Rolling Stones Magasin. Don't read that!

Cheers!

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted September 08, 2003 11:40     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know what them Rolling Stone Magazine dudes are on but whatever it is, I GOTTA GET ME SOME!!! This list is hilarious!
piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted September 08, 2003 16:36     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
#17 white stripes
#42 fripp

MAN THAT SOME CHEAP CRACK THERE SMOKIN @ ROLLING STONERS

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted September 08, 2003 18:51     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What the hell does rolling stone mag have to do with music anymore? Where the hell is PIGGY?? VAI?? ERIC MCFADDEN??? haha (former local hero) And why is anyone from CCR in this list!
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted September 08, 2003 19:06     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i disagree with the list somewhat. reading the article i did not get the impression the was any order to the list also.

quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Where's SATRIANI (he fuckin taught Hammet, although you'd never know it)
Where's PIGGY (I don't know of anyone that sounds like it)

DAMN STRAIGHT !

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted September 09, 2003 00:52     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jann Wenner and Co. at Rolling Stone only like people who have gone platinum. It seems like its really not about the music but about the units sold! Bastards! Killing is too good for them!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 09, 2003 02:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who cares? This magazine is totally irrevelant. Occasionally the album reviewers will nail something on the head. But as for what the editors actually think about music(in general), politics, and society????? Give me a fucking break. They're worthless.
But I got to admit I love skimming through each latest issue at the store and finding ou the latest about Mariah and Kelly O's new wigs.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted September 09, 2003 10:18     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slugbutt:
ERIC MCFADDEN??? haha (former local hero)

Speaking of Eric McFadden! I got to see him Saturday night at the Roseland. He is just fuckin' amazing and the whole world should know about him. Haven't seen him play a real electric guitar in a while. Just been playing the amplified acoustic guitars, but still rockin' on it. He also played a 6 string banjo?? They had a new CD for sale, but didn't have the $$ to buy It was a great show, as always! Didn't get a chance to say "hi" though. (I found a copy of the Faraway Brothers at a pawn shop a couple of months ago. It's got the cover of "Fairies Wear Boots" on it! Great stuff.)

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted September 09, 2003 11:32     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder if D. Boon would be on there if Jackass had not used his song for their opening.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted September 09, 2003 11:56     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didnt see Alex Lifeson of RUSH on that list.
Did i miss him, or is he really just not there?
I cant imagine him not being in that list!

Also, two more highly underrated Guitarists are Tommy Shaw and James Young of STYX.
Certainly, they are far better than Kurt Cobain!

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted September 09, 2003 18:57     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NO PIGGY!!??
No Hackett?
No Vai?

So much rage, so little time.

I will just add my own little 'List of Atrocities ' :

1. Eric "Snore-Fest" Clapton
2. Keith "The Fossil" Richards
3. Kirk "Mr. Worthless" Hammett
4. Kurt "Mr. I ripped off Geordie of Killing Joke and made millions" Cobain
5. Johnny "E-A-C and sometimes D" Ramone (love the band, but Jeezus)
6. Jack (Who the F*CK am I?) White
7. The Edge (of redundancy)
8. Stephen Stills (puh-leeze)

This is a selected list of 8 of the 44 guitarists
who were rated HIGHER than Frank Zappa. (AND Robert Fripp!!)

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted September 09, 2003 19:30     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
17 Jack White of the White Stripes / bigtime KINKS coverband
(who they think their foolin) record industry is like, yeah lets sell em this again. almost forgot 'rolling stone' magazine is a magazine designed to tell you what to like.

screw this i say we make our own 100 list !

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 09, 2003 23:23     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
[QB]Who cares? This magazine is totally irrevelant. Occasionally the album reviewers will nail something on the head. But as for what the editors actually think about music(in general), politics, and society????? Give me a fucking break. They're worthless.
QB]

EXACTLY. The magazine for people who don't know jack-shit about music, but want people to think they do.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan