my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Words taste like chicken... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Words taste like chicken...
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 03, 2003 13:32     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup, eating your words can be very very funny sometimes.

I'm listening to the retail version of the new Metallica album right now. Oh boy.

First impressions?

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!????

Did i expect it to be this heavy? No.
Did i expect it to be this dirty? No.
Did i expect it to be this brutal? No.
Did i expect it to blow me away like it's doing me right now? No.
Are the lyrics idiotic at times? Yes.
Does it matter? No.
Am i flushing my cred down the drain? I dont give a fuck!

Fuck, i seriously didnt expect this. The single isnt nearly as good as rest of the record. It's sick!

I cant even believe i'm typing this. I feel like such a hypocrite. haha!

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 03, 2003 13:39     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmmm... nah.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 03, 2003 14:06     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still gonna download it. It's one of the few albums I won't feel guilty about doing so.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 03, 2003 16:03     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard it's getting released this Thursday instead of next Tuesday to try and prevent everyong getting it leaked out, and probably help weekend sales.

Glad to hear a killer review...especially from someone whose opinion I respect. Has anyone seen the dvd that comes with the cd. I believe one side of the disc is an audio cd and the other is the dvd. COOL.

To me comparing Voivod and Metallica is like apples and oranges...totally different styles of writting IMHO. But it will be interesting to hear everyones opinion on the comparisons.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 03, 2003 16:39     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I haven't bought a Metallica record since Justice, and I even bought it on cassette AND vinyl because the place I was staying at for a week didn't have a cassette player.

Well skul, you're the man. I think, though, that I'd sooner buy the new Anthrax one than this.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 03, 2003 16:43     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Forget it, I appreciate the honesty of your opinions but I'm done with Metallica. For the simple reason of that MTV Tribute.

Sorry, final nail in the coffin.

A lot of you would say, you're missing out...blah,blah...yeah, don't think so. I'll do much better with the new Enslaved and Ephel Duath releases.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted June 03, 2003 17:18     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But if you liked it, would you not buy it on principle?
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 03, 2003 17:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, why such hostility?

Give 'em a break, buy it, they need your money.

Hey Helicopter, don't be bustin on Anthrax. The new cd isn't that bad, beside they have a way better track record that Metallica!!! I couldn't say I hate any of their releases, or have never been totally dissapointed by what they've put out.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 03, 2003 20:33     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kane:
But if you liked it, would you not buy it on principle?

Hmmmm...Sorry, dude, but I've just lost all interest. Totally evaporated. That tribute was simply too much for me to bear. You could say, well, that was just MTV and Metallica was just there. Nope, I'm sure they okayed that circus and that to me was the last step off the cliff: PUN INTENDED. You can say, "well, people change, get older...c'mon man, don't be such a hardass give them a chance, its only rocknroll." Sorry, no can do......

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 03, 2003 21:05     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some more random thoughts, after a few listens (and my goodness, a couple of beers):

Y'know, it's not a great written record, but it's pretty evil and sick. Sure there's no contest between VV and M. cuz well, Piggy,s in Voivod right? So they win, regardless.

This record (St.Anger) would sound even better with a huge mountain of coke, for some reason. Lars, hook me up.

Seriously though, both Voivod and Anthrax came out this year with much better written albums (meaning better songs) than Metallica is comin' out now, but! There's something vile and insane about this new Metallica, dont ask me, i have no idea... but it sounds like 75 minutes of pure unaldultered RAGE! to me. Knowin' me (and some of you do know me) i love my shit mindless and violent, so i like St'Anger.

It's still kinda funny to say "Yah, i like the new Metallica record" after years and years of "Dont mention the M. word in my presence, thank you".

Is it a good record? Well, if pure fucking rage is your thing, hell yah it is! If you like more thought-about tunes, you might wanna skip it, as it's pretty direct (it sounds like a rehearsal for crap sake).

For comparison' sake: if Dimension Hatross was Master of Puppets, well this is their RRRoooaaarrr!

Ok, i'm rambling. Fuck off.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 04, 2003 10:04     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Is it a good record? Well, if pure fucking rage is your thing, hell yah it is!

Well then, I'm in it!!!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 04, 2003 11:06     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
It's still kinda funny to say "Yah, i like the new Metallica record" after years and years of "Dont mention the M. word in my presence, thank you".

so there... you are wimping out Skul...
ha!
venant de toi cette chronique est d'autant plus crédible... intéressant...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 04, 2003 16:14     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmm...yeah, see I didn't think I was missing anything. Well stated Lync. Nu-metal is no surprise, especially after looking at the cover of the latest Rolling Stone. What a fucking joke!
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 04, 2003 18:58     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Hey Helicopter, don't be bustin on Anthrax. The new cd isn't that bad, beside they have a way better track record that Metallica!!! I couldn't say I hate any of their releases, or have never been totally dissapointed by what they've put out.

I lost interest in Anthrax when the sound of white noise came out. Compared to Among the Living this sounded insipid. Everything I have heard since then sounds much the same, and the new one I found generally disappointing too, only the first track what doesn't die appealed in any way. They are great to watch live, but I did find it extremely annoying when they played their old stuff at the Astoria earlier this year, that all the solos had gone! It was just like some kind of 'radio edit' had taken place. Sad, very sad...and they only played for 80 minutes.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted June 05, 2003 02:22     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A local station here in Seattle played an advanced copy of it in its entirety tonight...

Yeah, as Skulhed says: it's pretty good, surprisingly.

Lars can still play "fast", and with double-bass, the only problem with the new songs is the same re-occuring formula for each one: play hella fast, then mellow, then heavy, then fast again, etc. etc.

They also play "tuned-down" now, the lowest I've ever heard them play. (they must have conformed to the almight 7-stringers!

But honestly it's a much better effort this time around than the so-called "black-album", "Load", and "Re-Load" pieces o' shit!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 05, 2003 12:07     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That drum sound is fucking woeful. And it's not just his playing. Sounds like (limp) biscuit tins.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 05, 2003 15:00     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I bought it as promised.

Thoughts? Only one.

FUCK THIS SHIT.

Last album I buy from them. Ever. That's it, done. It's just bad Nu-Metal ripoffs with crap production. That's all I'm saying.
That which doesn't sound like System of a Down sounds like Kyuss, if you took them all out, shot them and then slung their still warm corpses over their instruments.

It's so incredibly goddamn weak, I'm going to stop now.

Good bye Metallica. I still have your great 80's legacy. It's been a hell of a ride (the Lightning!).

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 05, 2003 15:57     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and does it sound like Entombed, like Kirk said?
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 05, 2003 18:47     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're so jaded for such a young man Lyster. Good on you. heh heh Ah well, each to their own I say, if you like it, keep it, if you don't trade it!
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted June 05, 2003 19:49     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just picked it up a couple hours ago.

Snare drum is annoying (turn the snare back on please!) The double kicks have a nice rumble effect, like they are supposed to. The guitars sound like shit, tuned way too low.

The lyrics are idiotic, predictable and boring. Usually writers get better over time, James has gotten worse.

The good news is that apparently they fired Kirk! Oh and the Pushead artwork.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 05, 2003 20:09     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL Lyc! Very funny. Like Mez has said before, there's too much other good music out there to spend one's hard-earned $ on rather than searching (in vain?) for musical inspiration from a band that I haven't been interested in for over a decade.

Will I be buying the new Metallica? Nope. Do I wanna hear it? Of course! But one would have to be a zombie not to be curious about how this record sounds after all the months of massive media campaigns, hype, and rumors/garbage that have pervaded the metal scene for the last year.

Bought the new Main and Enslaved albums instead.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 06, 2003 04:47     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well said X-D. Spot on as usual mate.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 06, 2003 08:45     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone read the somewhat damning review at Metal Sludge?

Funny stuff.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 06, 2003 09:28     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lol. That review is a lot like how I felt.

And unfortunately 'Corpse, if the snare sounds like a bell and it's all hissy, that's the release version.

I will admit that I liked the first minute of Frantic. And the DVD wasn't that bad, because Rob's such a cool performer.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 09, 2003 08:41     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What I really enjoy about this Metallica cd that they haven't done before is the fact that they GROOVE. They find a cool groove and and work it, and I haven't ever heard them do that before. It's usually just thrash, of heavy (or crap) but I like what they've done with this.

My least favorite tracks, and it's mainly because of the lyrics and the vocals delivery, are Sweet Amber, and Invisible Kid. Other than those 2 songs I've been blastin this in my truck whenever I take a drive.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan