my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Words taste like chicken... (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Words taste like chicken...
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 09, 2003 10:52     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also predict Metallica will be laughing all the way to the bank.
 |  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 09, 2003 12:21     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got mine today, from mail. Can't say it's a commercial/sellout release, nor it's nu-metal, as some of you guys are claiming. So far I think it's good for what it is. I'm just not waiting or hoping for them to return to their sound of old, they won't. They're not hungry/drunken/both anymore.
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 09, 2003 18:34     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All things being subjective here's my take on the metallica thing...

I have not had much to do with metallica since the debacle that was the black sellout, except to confirm they were selling out more with subsequent releases. Load stinks, reload stinks more and S&M is just plain sad.

But St. Anger is better, much better. I have issues with the sound, the drums generally get a bad deal, the guitars sound vague at times and the vocals can be a tad strident in places. I prefer the DVD snare by spades. In fact I prefer the DVD drum sound period, especially in 5.1 mode, the whole rehearsal thing rocks, especially with the volume set high! My opinion of the sound on the studio version is that Mr. Rock can't deal with de-tuned guitars, and Lars borrowed a toy drum kit for the studio version. If I was a Tama/Zildjian rep I'd be mortified that my best hardware sounded like a fisher price drum kit!

Musically this is the best they've done for 15 years, but lyrically it isn't so good, and is the weakest part of the album. One or two of the songs are a bit samey, but overall I like it. I don't think they are harking after past glories, and I don't necessarily believe they are 'trying' to be angry either. This album sounds pissed off, and I personally think it's something of a return to form. Not as good as 'Master of Puppets', but it's enjoyable nonetheless, and well worth investigating.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted June 09, 2003 19:56     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
The snare drum sounds like a friggin' sonar ping from a submarine.

Hahaha!!! I couldn't have said it better myself, except that after awhile it probably equates to "chinese-water-torture" as well!

Also, if you listen with headphones on, you can tell that the production was meant to be "raw as fuck", simply because you can hear massive tape-noise in between "stop-n-go's", aside from the 'one-take' vocals (IMHO) from James that are simply done half-ass. Yes Warcorpse, I too was constantly adjusting my e.q.'s to "dial-in" a better mix, but to no avail., it seemed very hopeless indeed.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 10, 2003 00:13     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
I also predict Metallica will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Yes, and the reactions on this very thread seem to confirm that. People either liked it or not, but everyone here seems to have bought the album, except for Warcorpse and Skulhed, so far.

Now that I've listened to it a couple of times (and seen the DVD), I can say it's a weird album. Even though they knew everyone were going to buy it, they showed courage to release such a non commercial album. But, at the end of the day, it rocks like no Metallica album did in the 90's.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 10, 2003 07:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"But, at the end of the day, it rocks like no Metallica album did in the 90's"

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!
I can't think of ANY of their albums that are this heavy, agressive, brutal, whatever you want to call it, from beiginning to end.

I want my legit copy so I can see the dvd.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 10, 2003 08:40     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
... but everyone here seems to have bought the album, except for Warcorpse and Skulhed, so far.

I bought it, sir! Last thursday (the day it came out, at exactly 11am, sir! hehe). Watched the DVD twice, but then i spent the entire weekend painting my place, plus i had my folks over so i didnt really blast any metal while they were here. Obviously.

I have to agree with you, tho: it's really a weird record... not beautifully weird, more like "wtf?" weird. I dig that.

I'd also like to mention that the DVD is alot better sounding, but that's been said already.

And I'm almost elated that all the kids that loved the "Load" stuff they did are absolutely LOATHING this new record. They're all crying like bitches "why did they do that?" Haha. Yup, been there before, didnt we?

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted June 10, 2003 11:20     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
...I also saw some old Wargasm...

Man, I haven't heard the name Wargasm for over a decade!! That was a pretty decent band! I remember listening to them about the same time I was into Excel's "The Joke's on You" and Ludichrist's "Immaculate Deception". All those bands kicked major ass!

As for the new Metallica CD, I have absolutely no plans on purchasing a legal copy of it. To be 100% honest, I'm not even that curious about the record...

They took the 80's metal scene by assault, released 3 classic albums in a row and that's all about it. I don't hate them, but I just don't think they deserve MY attention anymore (it's been 17 years since their last great album!).
I'd rather stick to bands that either evolved (like Voďvod) or remained truthful to their music (like Slayer).

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted June 10, 2003 13:44     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of Wargasm:

When I saw Voivod on the DH tour in 88, it was at the old Channel club in Boston. Me, my bro and my buddy Rob all were right up front, and there was this guy next to us with a ton of hair just banging his head like crazy. It was Bob Mayo, singer from Wargasm. Small world!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 10, 2003 15:39     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
After the famous "Voivod can kick Metallica's ass" comments I guess the big question will be "is the new Voivod CD better then the new Metallica CD?"....here we go. Prepare to be attacked by the mullet army. If it is indeed as brutal and sick as skul says, then this is the kind of ammo the mullets have been waiting for.

Funny thing is, though I thought the new Voivod album had some good stuff on it and was to some extent a return to form, I was not as impressed with it as I was with St Anger. I think Voivod are still a way from their pioneering, eccentric best and I so miss the wierdness and anger that was RRROOOAAARRR, Kiling Technology and Dimension Hatross. It probably stems from St Anger being so different to what I expected and I think it's caught a good few people by surprise. I still rate Voivod way over Metallica based on the history and musical skill, but on comparing the two latest releases side by side, though Voivod clearly are more accomplished musicians and got a far better production, I prefer St. Anger because it just has an attitude about it, something beyond the music itself that to me is absent in the Voivod album.

But in the overall scheme of things Voivod still kick Metallicas ass!!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 11, 2003 16:09     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I'm eating words here as well... I downloaded this whole album, ripped it to cd, and have been slowly becoming repulsed/obsessed with it!

There are really good riffs here, but there's almost as many parts I hate as that I like. Yet it's all pretty weird, especially for Metallica, and that's got me transfixed! Goddammit! This record is some sort of trainwreck/disaster, yet I seem to be unable to dismiss it as the next lame McTallica record.

And like Skul says, this record has got to be killing those Load/ReLoad "'Tallica" fans who most likely aren't used to being 'challenged' by their beloved Metallica. For that alone, this record is deserved of some respect.

One last negative comment (I have to right, this is a hater site, no? LOL!) Hetfield's lyrics and singing are some of the worst I've heard here! There, I said it and I feel better.

Will I buy it yet? Maybe used, I'm thinking. Go ahead, make fun of me now! AHHHHH!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 11, 2003 18:01     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
XD, I have lost all respect for you as a fellow VoiVod brother!!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 11, 2003 19:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I finally gave my cdr copy a rest today and put on something else. I've been listening to it while driving every time I get in the truck, and I still haven't received the official copy. I'm dying to hear and see the dvd, since everyone says it's amazing.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 11, 2003 20:34     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I finally broke and bought the damn thing. Found it used for 10 bucks. They had 4 copies! The CDR has...mysteriously left the country.
I must say I really like it. Except for the shit I bitched about in the other thread (drum sound, song length, etc.). It ain't '80's Metallica but it's better they didn't try to redo that. The fact that they're doing something totally new is good, and for that they get some respect from me.

I just can't seem to get ST Anger out of my head!
Btw, the DVD is fukking great.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 11, 2003 21:05     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I refuse to buy 'St. Coffee Can'.

If I ever do decide I have the time to download it, souseek will provide.
This is one band I will not feel an ounce of guilt about while ripping them off.

Besides, the 2 songs I have heard were pure sheeit.

RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted June 11, 2003 22:24     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, some a you seem more excited about this than the new Voivod. It ain't no bad snare drum sound on St. Anger! I think it's Jason Vorhees hacking the Machete on a Gargage door trying to get at Lars and Bob Rock just being lazy and opportunistic and just touching it up a bit.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted June 11, 2003 23:48     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I'm dying to hear and see the dvd, since everyone says it's amazing.

You know, to be quite honest..the dvd should have been the "mix" of the album! The drums sound way better, as does the overall sound, comparingly so.

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted June 12, 2003 01:45     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RIFLEFIST:
Damn, some a you seem more excited about this than the new Voivod...

I noticed that too... I'm not interested in "St. Anger" for the reasons I already said (Tangento and Mezcalhead: you're not alone!). If someone lends me a CD-R, then I'll listen to it ,but I ain't that curious.

IMO, the new Voďvod does ROCK!! I know this is not a new subject anymore, but the more I listen to this CD the more I get into it!

There are only 2 or 3 tracks that I don't like so much, but on the other hand, all the lyrics are cool, Snake is back in full shape, Away is delivering some superb drumming and there are at least 5 or 6 killer songs in the record (not to mention the CD packaging which is also great). The only thing I miss is...guitar solos! They're so few and in-between... Anyways, I give the disc 4 stars out of 5.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted June 12, 2003 04:11     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
More excited.. heh not me. Im still trying to decide if i even like the song 'Human' which is probally the best song on the new St.Anger. To even compare it with the new VoiVod release (lol) Im with 'Tangento and Mezcal' too, id rather listen to the Korn cd or something cause that St.shit is weak
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 12, 2003 04:44     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't heard the whole of the new Mctallica offering, only about 4 tracks. I'll check out the rest at some point, but I don't need to hear it all to know that there is no way any of the songs are as good as 'Multiverse' or 'Divine Sun'. Hatross is better than Puppets. Voivod is better than St Anger. Just my opinion.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 12, 2003 05:12     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:
More excited.. heh not me. Im still trying to decide if i even like the song 'Human' which is probally the best song on the new St.Anger.

There's no song called 'Human' on St. Anger.

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted June 12, 2003 12:03     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey WC - thanks for the link

'Frantic' sounds very good when that *ching! ching! ching!* gets taken out. The guitar solo element makes it a little more appealing.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 12, 2003 12:57     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RIFLEFIST:
Damn, some a you seem more excited about this than the new Voivod. (...)

I think you are right, to a certain extent. Maybe the best word to describe our reaction should be surprised. Everyone knew that the new Voivod would rock, but this St. Anger was totally unexpected.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 12, 2003 13:20     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is somewhat of a hazardous vibe about this Metallica record... Although Voivod (and Piggy alone) are capable of crushing McTallica on every level, they nonetheless played it mighty safe on the latest s/t album and I think a lot of us were a tad bit disapointed (especially after the crushing heaviness and experimental vibe of Phobos).

I still like the new Voivod waaaaaaay better than anything done by Hetfield and co., but I have to tip my hat to those guys for putting out something slightly relevant after years and years of an utter crapfest. Not raving or anything, but suprised. I mean, they could have released "Load III" and it would have sold millions anyway (especially w/all the promotion), but they put out something rather unconventional instead and that's kinda cool.

quote:
Metallica, please don't get mad, we are just having fun.

LOL! These guy's will be lucky if they just get served a "cease & desist" order by the end of the day.

VoivodFan
Member # 319

posted June 12, 2003 14:22     Profile for 666   Email 666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you listen to Voivod, why would you give a fuck about metallica's output of late?

[ Dethrone the Son of God ]

Rip - the sacred flesh
Sodomize - the holy asshole
Drink - the red blood of the mother of earth
Masturbation - on - the dead body - of christ
The king of jews - is dead
and so - are the lies
Vomit - on the host of heaven
Masturbate - on the throne of god
Break - the seal - of angels
Drink - the sweet blood - of christ
Taste - the flesh of the priest
Sodomize - holy nuns
The king of jews - is a liar
The Heaven - will burn
Dethrone - the son of god
god - is dead
Holyness - is gone
Purity - is gone
Prayers - are burned covered in black shit
Rape - the holy ghost
Unclean birth - of -jesus christ
Heaven - will fall
Fuck - the church
Fuck - christ
Fuck - the virgin
Fuck - the cast of heaven
Fuck - the name of jesus

I VOMIT ON gOD'S CHILD!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan