my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Get a job (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Get a job
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 05, 2003 12:19     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I figure that there must be a lot of us who visit the site during the week while working at our jobs, right? That leads to the question - what do we all do for work? Follow-up to that question would be - do you like your job? And, finally - what is your 'dream job' (i.e. what would you rather do to get by?)

I work for a company that developed a web-based interface for medical journals to receive manuscript submissions and move them through the editorial review process. I'm an account manager, but I also create all of the graphics for it. I don't exactly hate my job, but I don't love it either. I like the people I work with alot, though.

My dream job? Music production. Someday I plan on building a studio in my home and putting out my own stuff.

|  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 05, 2003 12:43     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get a haircut and get a real job!
Here's an old topic about some people's job, including mine.
http://www.voivodfan.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000940

And of course, it's diner time, here, so I have the right to come on the forum. I guess.

VodFan
VoivodFan
Member # 201

posted March 05, 2003 12:47     Profile for VodFan   Email VodFan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a secretary/courier. What I do exactly is I collect money from convenience stores who sell a newspaper & paper boys who brings the newspaper to their clients.

Yeah, I love my job... I would like it more if my dad would let me break a few bones every once in a while...

My dream job WOULD have been to play bass in a heavy metal band, but... my dad took my bass away from me when it sat in the closet for 5 months.

So I'm gonna keep my job and hopefully one day buy my own bass guitar just for kicks.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted March 05, 2003 14:02     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm in data entry and sales for a retail company. Yes, I hate it, but I get free roam throughtout cyberspace all day. When I'm not here, I do interior paint work (I hate that too), work on cars, and build websites.

I want to "get by" playing music instead. Don't need to be rich, just need to pay the bills and keep a roof over my family's heads.

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted March 05, 2003 14:54     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm also a software engineer... I couldn't say that I love my job, but I can't hate it either... My dream job would be anything related to be in a band and touring, and thrashing, and groupies...even a roadie would do for me!!!
Jeffs
VoivodFan
Member # 164

posted March 05, 2003 15:05     Profile for Jeffs   Email Jeffs     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Network Administrator, I find my job extremely boring. I usually spend half my day browsing the internet.

If I could get by doing something else, I'd be playing and writing songs,and doing small club tours with my old band.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 05, 2003 15:08     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I live off the land by preying on small animals and consuming tree bark. My computer is in a cave. Had a damn hard time getting a phone line in here.

I don't know anything about VoiVod music. But I met the real thing once in 1988. His spaceship landed on my moutain and we discussed the status of man and his role in the galaxy for hours.

Time to sharpen my axe.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted March 05, 2003 15:56     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Part-time amateur drunk and non-voluntary actor in an atrocious Real-Life TV-Soap (without cameras) playing in a laboratory.

I want to be a full-time professional drunk. I love my job still.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 05, 2003 18:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MANAGER AND FRAMER @ OCEAN GALLERY.
One of the craziest places you'll ever see.
OCEAN GALLERY

I love my job, since I get to listen to music all day, which is usually 10 - 12 hours, 50 - 55 hour work weeks year round. The owner is the coolest and whackiest guy in the world...just look at the buiding on the web site, it's his 'creation', not to mention all the bizarre 'art cars' and goofy shit we do. It's busy as hell and there's lots for me to do from taking out the trash to ordering prints, moulding, materials... if it needs to be done I DO IT.

BTW I created the "fine art print section of the web site.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 05, 2003 18:40     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Auto mechanic here, Been working on em for about 13yrs. it a love hate kinda thing,mostly leaning toward the hate. Dream Job ? humm i dont really know, Mabye no work at all
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted March 05, 2003 22:33     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wrk for the Western Canada Lottery Corporation www.wclc.com

My official title is "Senior Operator". I'm in the Gaming Operations department. I get the numbers, plug 'em in to my system, run winner selection, calculate payout, process accounting entries, determine liabilities, help desk, database administration, MIS duties...I could go on. We do pretty much everything. It's a great job. I've been there 5 years and don't plan on going anywhere just yet.
Unless I actually WIN the fucking lottery, when I'd build a killer recording studio and make beautiful music. And harsh and brutal music too.

farside
VoivodFan
Member # 193

posted March 06, 2003 00:07     Profile for farside   Email farside     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I play bass for a hardcore/punk band called The Control, we have some stuff coming out on Go Kart records ...and we tour quite a bit. Check out our stuff at www.the-control.com

I'm not able to live off of it, so I hold down ye' old day job at Guitar Center wherre I work in the audio section selling fun recording gear. I'm thinking about going to school at fullsail for audio and trying to get a job in that field somewhere.

Dream job: remixing the new Voivod record WITHOUT Jason Newstead in the room.

TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted March 06, 2003 06:02     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I study library and information science. so one day people like me, our knowledge and skills will save the information society from all its ills!

quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Someday I want to be Voivod's 2nd guitarist.

Wow, I thought you "only" played bass? Anyway, two guitars (or two basses ) would rule in Voivod!!! I'd apply for the job of the second drummer then and we'd blow every PA to pieces!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 06, 2003 06:20     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Graphic Designer/Printer at Southend College, UK.

This morning I've been designing a daft poster for some Beauty Therapy course in Illustrator in one window while another window is playing Voivod videos, and in yet another window is this forum, as it is all day everyday. In the CD drive is the new VV album.

Access to good printing and CD burning things lets me make my own goodies to a decent standard. It pays terribly but I wouldn't want to change it.

My dream job would be to be KK Downing in about 1977/8. With longer legs, mind.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted March 07, 2003 04:51     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ironic that I'm reading this while I should be working.

I am a graphic designer/illustrator as well - but for the games industry. Currently, this means churning out graphics for a Dinsey title - and I hate Dinsey. Grrr.

My ideal position would have been growing up next door to Ray Harryhausen and Ray Bradbury
and plagiarising all their best ideas then and not thirty years after the fact...

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 07, 2003 05:01     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
journeyman electrician, Local 292
Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted March 07, 2003 08:14     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a computer technician, we own a computer shop here in Lecco (www.computerservice.it)and I like my work.
At dinner time I always check this forum...

If I could choose I would do this job but with more free time for drawing (shirts and websites) and maybe to learn to play some instrument.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 07, 2003 08:20     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I do graphic design for a music merchandising company. It can be fun, but I can think of a million things I'd rather be doing (or drinking!).
My dream job would be Piggy's guitar tech!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 07, 2003 08:39     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ah, that would explain your nonsensical devotion to Macs!

Switch to PC, h. Theres a whole world of 'ahem' music progs just waiting for you.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted March 07, 2003 10:25     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't mind pc's. It's that windows shit software that winds me up!! Yikes!
Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted March 07, 2003 17:35     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I play a down-trodden, highly-stressed graphic designer but in real-life I'm a musician. I used to play bass (w/ a shitload of effects) in a few bands but was booted from one (that's okay, it was a Weezer knockoff) and quit another (you know that Juicy Fruit commercial where those two snowboarders bash the geek's guitar. The band's singer sounded like the geek). Now I just make weird 45 minute long songs on my computer. You know, stuff I'm not willing to play for anyone but me!
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 28, 2004 18:20     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I live off the land by preying on small animals and consuming tree bark. My computer is in a cave. Had a damn hard time getting a phone line in here.

I don't know anything about VoiVod music. But I met the real thing once in 1988. His spaceship landed on my moutain and we discussed the status of man and his role in the galaxy for hours.

Time to sharpen my axe.

Are you still in a similar state there, MezCalHead?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted April 28, 2004 19:18     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foot:
I play a down-trodden, highly-stressed graphic designer but in real-life I'm a musician. I used to play bass (w/ a shitload of effects) in a few bands but was booted from one (that's okay, it was a Weezer knockoff) and quit another (you know that Juicy Fruit commercial where those two snowboarders bash the geek's guitar. The band's singer sounded like the geek). Now I just make weird 45 minute long songs on my computer. You know, stuff I'm not willing to play for anyone but me!

GODDAMN... and ya'll thought i was strange. Weezer sucks dude !

Cthon
Member # 156

posted April 28, 2004 20:02     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HUAGHHHHH!

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 29, 2004 11:14     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still at school.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan