my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod opening for Ronnie James DIO!!! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Voivod opening for Ronnie James DIO!!!
Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted June 21, 2002 17:36     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On july the 5th, Voivod will be on the same line-up as Ronnie James Dio at Le Medley in Montreal.
Promotor's link: http://www.greenland.ca/concertlistings/concerts.html

|  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 21, 2002 18:15     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very cool! I wish I were there! Fuck!

Dio may be shorter than my mom, but he puts on a hell of a show!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 21, 2002 19:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DIO IS A FUCKING LEGEND IN MUSIC.
From Elf to Rainbow to Sabbath to Dio to Sabbath to Dio, sure there are a couple lame DIO albums but he's still a legend.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 21, 2002 20:02     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I fully agree Schroeder! I saw him in a club back in '94... never was a big Dio fan... until that night! His voice fucking blew me away! The man is truly a legend! All 4.5 feet of him!

Seriously, I like Dio a lot!

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 21, 2002 21:12     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HOLY JESUS!!! That's it, there's going to be a Ronnie James Dio tribute night happening at my place this evening!!! I was totally into Dio back in the mid eighties! And of the songs of his which are my favourites, shit, I can play them now - over 15 years later - and still totally get into them! Time does not damage good songs! Time makes them even more memorable! As for the shitty songs (I'm thinking about other "artists" here), we all know what happens to them in time ("I HATE THEM NOW, I'LL HATE THEM TEN YEARS FROM NOW!!!"). Actually time makes some of them almost bearable from a comical perspective ("AHH, HA, HA! LOOK AT THAT FREAK!!!")... So what is everyone's favorite Dio songs? Amongst my favorite songs are:

1. Rainbow in the dark.
2. Holy Diver.
3. Last in Line.

Shit, I like em all!!!

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: El Indio ]

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 22, 2002 10:56     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yah, the ad in the paper for the July 4th show at the Agora doesnt mention any opening acts. Nice venue tho. I saw Slayer there in 98... outdoors.
Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted June 22, 2002 19:28     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Dio in Atlanta on Wednesday on
this year's version of the dinosaur
metal roadshow package. The Dio
band opened for Deep Purple &
Scorpions (headliners). He played
an hour & delivered. "Children of the
Sea", "Heaven and Hell", "Man on the
Silver Mountain" & a few classics from
the Dio albums were performed. RJD
plays songs the diehards want to hear.
The Scorpions, on the other hand,
completely disregard tunes like "China
White" & "Animal Magnetism" in favor
of material like "Big City Nights" &
"Bad Boys Running Wild". They had
included "Coast to Coast" & "The
Zoo" before I left (the "hits" kept on
coming late). Deep Purple were in
fine form.

I would drive a ways to see Voivod &
Dio perform.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 22, 2002 19:36     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Layla's Dad,
How was Deep Purple? Is Steve Morse still with them? He has breathed new life into that band and they sound as good as they did in the 70's with Blackmore, Gillan and the guys.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 23, 2002 04:56     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Layla's Dad,
Nice description of the Dio set! He truly does deliver the goods! Last time I saw him, he played all the good shit, and the man's voice is fucking undeniable! A true pillar of the metal community!

Like Schroeder, I'd like to hear more about the Deep Purple set! I heard they were touring but know very little about this latest incarnation...

I couldn't give two squrts about the Scorpion though... hate that band a lot... Sorry Scorpions fans!

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted June 23, 2002 18:47     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Deep Purple is the reason we got
tickets for this show (at time of purchase
I didn't even know RJD was on the bill).
I am glad to report that they do have
new life (probably because of Morse).
They really look like they're having a
good time performing. Gillian is hitting
those high notes wonderfully (I won-
dered what would've happened had
"Child in Time" been played,however).
While Don Airey isn't Jon Lord, he was
unique in his own way and is a seasoned
veteran in his own right. Glover & Paice
were remarkable of course. Morse is
probably what gives DP renewed
enthusiasm though. Anybody who's
seen this guy play knows he's having
a ball and it rubs off on the whole band.

Setlist? Too waxed to get it just right,
but here goes: 1) Fireball 2) Woman
from Tokyo 3) Ted the Mechanic 4)
Lazy (great!!) 5) The Well-Dressed
Guitar (new instrumental) 6) Knockin'
at Your Back Door 7) Speed King 8)
Smoke on the Water (led into by an
instrumental medley that included
"Sweet Home Alabama") 9) Perfect
Strangers Encores: 10) Hush 11)
Highway Star.....That is more or less
the way it went with solos mixed in
and Gillian pounding those congas.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 23, 2002 21:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I envy you for being at that show!!!

I didn't know Airey was playing instead of Lord! I think Gillan has the best 'seasoned' voice in rock...it's amazing he can still do what he does. Morse is a fuckin guitar God and any band would improve just having him, but I think he fits into the DP line very nicely...certainly better than the last few releases with that Blackmore guy!

I highly suggest to anyone with a dvd player to pick up DPs Total Abandon and Bombay Calling...2 great live shows with Morse.

thanks for the report.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 24, 2002 07:48     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Best show i have EVER been to in my life was BLACK SABBATH with Dio on Vocal.
That was at the Bronco Bowl...the BEST place to see a show. (In Dallas).

EXODUS opened for them.
The Mosh pit was small...but violent!
Got my ass kicked several times!

Mayor.of Black City
VoivodFan
Member # 52

posted June 24, 2002 15:43     Profile for Mayor.of Black City   Email Mayor.of Black City     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
y'all catch DIO's cameo in that South Park episode (I think it was the one about the homeschooled kids)?

the Last in Line video was balls

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 24, 2002 18:09     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Indio:
(...)what is everyone's favorite Dio songs?

Just from the "Dio" band or else? Let's see...

Dio band:
-All the fools sailed away
-Last in line
-Rock'n'roll children

Best of all Dio incarnations:
-Stargazer
-Mob rules
-Sign of the southern cross

Fuck, man, Dio rules! A friend of mine once told me (and it must probably be true) that the last three vocal minutes of Stargazer are pure improvisation. It would be just instrumental, but then Dio came in and told the engineer just to record whatever he sang. And what an epic finale! "I see a rainbow rising... See there, on the horizon!" It makes me wanna grab my sword and release some heads from their necks!!!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 25, 2002 06:37     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Layla's Dad:
While Don Airey isn't Jon Lord, he wasunique in his own way and is a seasonedveteran in his own right.

from www.totalrock.com :

Keyboard legend Jon Lord is to rejoin Deep Purple for at least part of their UK tour in September; he will play some of the band’s set. Lord has now been replaced in Purple by Don Airey, but as he was in the band at the time the shows were originally due to happen - these dates have been rearranged from February because Ian Gillan wasn’t well enough for them to happen – Lord feels he should be involved this time around. The full list of dates is:
London Hammersmith Apollo September 6/7, York Barbican Centre September 8, Bradford St. George’s Hall 9, Newcastle City Hall 11, Glasgow Clyde Auditorium 12, Birmingham NEC 14, Portsmouth Guildhall 15, Plymouth Pavilions 17, Bristol Colston Hall 18, Ipswich Regent Theatre 19.

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: h ]

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 25, 2002 20:38     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was reading the paper this morning, and as it turns out, the 'vod are opening for DIO also in Quebec City on july 4th... at least that's what the ad says. I dont like Dio (especially his dancing...) so i'm not sure if i'll go yet, but i might.. it's just 30$..

Funny how the illustrious official site didnt mention any of that. Hehe.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 25, 2002 23:14     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Dio" - Tenacious D

Dio has rocked for a long, long time,
Now it's time for him to pass the torch.
He has songs of wildebeests and angels,
He has soared on the wings of a demon.

It's time to pass the torch,
You're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you.
We're takin' you to a home,
But we will sing a song about you.

And we will make sure that you're very well taken care of.
You'll tell us secrets that you've learned. Raow!
Your sauce will mix with ours,
And we'll make a good goulash baby.
Dio, time to go!
You must give your cape and scepter to me.
And a smaller one for KG.
Go! Go! Dio! Dio!

http://unks.hispeed.com/tvmovies/tenaciousd/amoeba022002/03%20-%20Dio.mp3

yeah, I know you hate me.

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: Noitall ]

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 26, 2002 01:35     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Unofficial" is the way to go! No limitations, no hassles!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 26, 2002 05:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THAT MAKES US ALL "UNOFFICIAL FANS"!!!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 27, 2002 12:26     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd much rather be an "unofficial fan" than an "official jackass".

Seriously, voivod.com is badly ran. You got fuckin' shows comin' up and no mention of em anywhere. I actually had to go and give some info in the board about those, since nobody else cared to. If the guy running it is supposed to be the management-proclaimed "voivod king", he should do his fuckin' job! I dont understand people are still kissing his ass "Oh great job!" What job?

Look, i know this sounds bitter. Get over it. I need a coffee.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 27, 2002 13:44     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my,my!

I still have no comment about yuri.com

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 27, 2002 17:16     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You nailed it on the head right there Kulameister. YURI.COM says it all. I still post over there occasionally because there are still one or two interesting people. But not like the old days.

ANd what is up with that Neurotic Sanitroll???

Mayor.of Black City
VoivodFan
Member # 52

posted June 27, 2002 17:58     Profile for Mayor.of Black City   Email Mayor.of Black City     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
ANd what is up with that Neurotic Sanitroll???

why, would you like some over here?

ok
a watermelon flapping in the breeze
a mindless deer digesting in the bowling lanes
Master, i'll run you thru w/ pillows
now, do the turquoise seizure...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 27, 2002 18:02     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dude, I have no idea?!?! The whole thread seems a bit nerdy to me! But, I break shit when I don't understand it, so, that's just my opinion... Seems like another wave of Vodheads has began to move into our old digs...

It's sad to see such a great forum go to shit though... no good reason for it at all!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 27, 2002 18:03     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WHATT???????????????????????

I'm totally confused now.

I second Mezcalheads question.
Dows anyone else know?

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan