my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Is there life out there?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there life out there?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 26, 2007 07:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9796321

This is something to think about.........

Quote:
But don't count on visiting anytime soon. Even though Gliese 581 is close, compared with other stars, it still would take over 20 years to get there — if we could travel at the speed of light, which we can't do.

|  IP: Logged
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 26, 2007 11:38     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In my opinion it is not a case of 'is there life on other planets?'. It's more a case of 'what life is there on other planets?'.

I also find it amusing that everything that scientists think about the existence of life on other planets revolves around our geological model. We seem to have such closeted minds on this subject.

It would not surprise me in the slightest to find that we've been visited already, but the visitors were so scared of what they saw they fled!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 26, 2007 16:27     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll second that, & I wouldn't be surprised if we've been fiddled about with either.

--------------------

String em up

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 26, 2007 21:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, back to what Knick was saying here's another quote from the article I found quite interesting:

Still, some scientists have a mental picture of the place. Todd Henry, an astronomer at Georgia State University, says that if you were standing on this planet and looked up, its sun would appear to be huge — five times bigger than our sun looks to us.

"It's going to look very different in this sort of alien situation that we're in than what we're used to here on Earth," Henry says. "The star itself is actually going to look sort of the color of Mars — sort of a red, ruddy color. But it would be much bigger in the sky than we're used to."

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted April 27, 2007 17:23     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of course there is life on other distant planets.
A planet where the wind sounds like death metal and the rain that falls is called Guiness.

The creature living there prefers to sit under some tree, catching the black rain as it drips from it's nose, and it's feet trying to keep up with the winds eternal blastbeat

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 02, 2007 15:31     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vroomfondel:
A planet where the wind sounds like death metal and the rain that falls is called Guiness.

The creature living there prefers to sit under some tree, catching the black rain as it drips from it's nose, and it's feet trying to keep up with the winds eternal blastbeat

Tell me the flowers on that planet are cheese-flavored and I'm moving there in a blastbeat!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 03, 2007 23:02     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vroomfondel:

What if, say, I fart? Are these ever-wondrous and beautiful flowers going to abide my gas?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted May 04, 2007 18:19     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Luna.
Considering the fact that these flowers with their korgul shaped leafs mostly live on the meadows of the southern Chaossphere, where the rain falls at it's blackest, and the blastbeaters farts violates the Geneva convention on a regular basis (blame it on the rain). A humans rear wind is often the fresh breeze that saves them.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 06, 2007 17:08     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea, 'tis where the anal winds blow that I yearn to spend my hazy daze!

Good to see you all haven't lost your insanity while I've been away, hahaha! Anyway, I have to agree with your opinions on the seemingly narrow views of many scientists on the kinds of life that lie about out there among the stars...an endlessly interesting topic, that.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted June 01, 2007 06:43     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tne universe (multiverse?) is one huge laboratory in which mad cosmic scientists create many different worlds with all kinds of weird situations.

The morning after creating Earth they woke up with an incredible hangover.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan