my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Iran

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iran
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 02, 2006 18:36     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

A government firing squad executes nine Kurdish rebels and two former police officers of the deposed Shah of Iran after summary trials, Aug. 27, 1979. The next day, another 21 Kurdish rebels and military deserters were executed.

|  IP: Logged
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted December 08, 2006 19:17     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are happening things with the kurdish people in Turkey too.

But Turkey has no OIL so there's no need to invade Trukey.

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted December 12, 2006 08:29     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Back to Iran, when it's not Kurds it's children:
http://web.amnesty.org/pages/irn-090205-action-eng

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted December 12, 2006 10:06     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth_Mothman:
Back to Iran, when it's not Kurds it's children:
http://web.amnesty.org/pages/irn-090205-action-eng

I'm sorry! I should know as the organisation I'm a part of has 6 Kurdish members, 4 from Iran 1 from Turkey and one from Iraq. We are all working together and are holding public meetings about this.
It's important that the kurds get the right to their own language. And the right to live where they were born.

--------------------

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted December 13, 2006 07:53     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trollz:
I'm sorry! I should know as the organisation I'm a part of has 6 Kurdish members, 4 from Iran 1 from Turkey and one from Iraq. We are all working together and are holding public meetings about this.
It's important that the kurds get the right to their own language. And the right to live where they were born.

Good luck to you.
I wasn't addressing the Kurdish issue though, just Iran. I'm not sure you thought that I was?

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted December 13, 2006 08:31     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth_Mothman:
Good luck to you.
I wasn't addressing the Kurdish issue though, just Iran. I'm not sure you thought that I was?

I was just thinking about the Kurdish people and how they have no rights at all in those three counties. They always seems to have to be refugees.

--------------------

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted December 14, 2006 09:18     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

It's important that the kurds get the right to their own language. And the right to live where they were born.[/QB]

Oh, I'd insist that you're right!
The Kurds are by far the most populous of the minorities in that region, I would think?
At least they have a fighting chance* of maintaining their own state now.

I know that there are many other smaller minorities across those countries though, for
whom life must be just as hard. You have to wonder how they'll fare when the US** pull out of Iraq and the "government" collapse.

* hope that's not a prophetic choice of words...

** and the UK too, but hardly worth mentioning in this context.

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted December 14, 2006 09:57     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thaht's a serious issue. USA is now supporting PKK althoygh they by many countries are seen as terrorists. I cannot say I ee them as terrorists. UN is to weak sometimes, in situations like this UN should be given more power to make decisions. As you say there are more minoritirs too. It's an infected topic and most people don't want to talk about it.

I remember when USA decided to invade Iraq, despite this the kurds here in town was against the invasion also the refugees from Iraq was against it. We sat with them while they were so worried that the bombs should hit somewhere close to where their relatives lived, It was heartbreaking to see the anxiety they had to go thru and still do. Some lost their brothers or sisters.

I'm just a humanist (live and let live). I have no solutions and don't know if anyone has because in the end there is always somebody that will suffer.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 15, 2006 02:22     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The reason why "liberating" Iraq became such a huge mess in the first place is simple: Shiites, Sunnis, and Kurds can't and won't live together in harmony within a free democracy. History has already proved this to be correct over hundreds if not thousands of years. Iraq needs to be split into 3 different territories or 3 entire new countries, plain and simple.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted February 02, 2007 00:47     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I RAN SO FAR AWAAAAYYYYY!!!!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 15, 2007 08:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting comment by Michael Ledeen:

But the really big Iranian news came from Europe with the announcement that the EU’s experts have concluded that they have totally failed to deter the Iranians’ nuclear-weapons program. "At some stage we must expect that Iran will acquire the capacity to enrich uranium on the scale required for a weapons program," according to an internal EU document quoted by the Financial Times. As the FT glumly reports, all EU governments have been informed of this conclusion, along with the (obvious) analysis: "the problems with Iran will not be resolved through economic sanctions alone." Or by economic bribes, either. The EU, along with the U.S., have offered all manner of seductive goodies to the mullahs, but it didn’t work, as they surely knew from the beginning. Everybody knew.

Or did they? One has to wonder whether the president and the secretary of State knew it would fail. They certainly gave it unrestrained rhetorical support. If you buy the theory that W’s foreign policy is simply the application of winning poker to geopolitics, then you will think that, just as in the run-up to Iraq, he simply outwaited the Europeans. Knowing diplomacy had no chance, he let them play out the string. Now they must fold, and he is ratcheting up the ante against the mullahs.

This would also explain the timing of our newfound toughness. With the failure of the EU initiative, there was reduced concern that the Europeans would attack us for stepping up the pressure on the Iranians. This is reflected in a series of economic measures taken by European financial institutions, which will make life in Iran even more difficult. It would be really great if somebody found where Khamenei and the other oligarchs have stashed their private loot (I think a lot of it is in China, by the way)...and put it in escrow for a free Iran.

One can dream, can’t one? One can even dream that we will act faster. Please.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 01, 2007 08:47     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought this was particularly good:

Nuclear Motives
Understanding why Iran took British hostages.

By Mario Loyola

There’s no denying it. Iran’s capture of 15 British hostages was a stroke of cunning — and a brilliant one at that. The mullahs were in a pickle. They had decided to do two things which were going to push Washington closer to military action. They needed a diversion or a smokescreen — some way to make the Bush administration blink. And so far, it has worked.

Iran knows that if the United States is “allergic to casualties,” as Gen. Wesley Clark once lamented, we are especially allergic to the casualties of our friends. With a pitifully weak navy and allergies of their own, the British were unable (or refused) to defend the sailors once they were surrounded; the commander of HMS Cornwall apparently ordered them to surrender. This despite the fact that British and especially American naval forces are putting pressure on Iran in increasingly aggressive ways — indeed the British navy was put on high alert weeks ago, in expectation of a bad reaction from Tehran. Now Tony Blair has asked Washington to stand back while he negotiates the release of the sailors from a position of weakness and utter humiliation. And what will get the sailors released? An apology is unlikely to be enough.

The hostages are a smokescreen, and the key question is: What does Iran need a smokescreen for? Two things — both of them dangerous escalations of the crisis on Iran’s part.

First, it became clear last week that the Security Council was going to agree on another sanctions resolution. Everyone knew the Iranians would reject it immediately. And Washington has now established a pattern of responding to every Iranian rejection by ratcheting up the tension in the Persian Gulf. On Monday, without warning, the Pentagon announced the start of live-fire exercises in the Gulf — two aircraft-carrier battle groups and about hundred strike aircraft were involved — exercises which were planned in the greatest secrecy weeks in advance. The assembly of U.S. naval and airpower off Iran’s shores is already ominous enough: the Iranians could see their rejection of the Council resolution would make matters worse — and they can’t get much worse without a firefight breaking out.

Their rejection of the Council resolution was bad enough. So, under the circumstances, what Iran was considering doing next entailed considerable risks. They decided to announce on Sunday that they would stop making certain disclosures about their nuclear program to the International Atomic Energy Agency. This could have triggered a military response from the United States immediately. Why? Because Iran is due to launch a large-scale centrifuge-enrichment cascade at Natantz in a matter of weeks or months. This means that Iran will finally be able to start enriching enough weapons-grade uranium to manufacture warheads on a time-scale measured in months. Because of technical hurdles, they are probably still years away from producing a viable device. But they have now reached a point where they cannot keep advancing towards the production of nuclear warheads unless they stop cooperating with the IAEA and pull a veil of secrecy over their program. Assuming they will continue racing towards nuclear weapons as rapidly as they have been for many years, Iran must now in effect pull out of the nonproliferation treaty.

And this is where things will get really interesting. Iran knows — from the example of North Korea in the early 1990s — that when it announces that it is withdrawing from the nonproliferation treaty, the Pentagon will present an immediate military option to the president. It therefore behooves Iran to withdraw from the nonproliferation regime as quietly and incrementally as possible. But the importance to the United States of the disclosure-and-inspections regime of the IAEA is such that even the smallest step Iran takes to abandon it could trigger a crisis. And this is why the Iranians did not feel comfortable making their Sunday announcement without taking hostages first. They are unlikely to release the hostages before they have extracted assurances — from the United States — that there will not be military consequences if they cease to cooperate with the IAEA.

And this is precisely what the United States must not do. On the contrary, the United States must make it clear to the Iranians that abandoning the nonproliferation regime will trigger a military confrontation. The British should have defended the hostages when they were surrounded. The United States cannot now be paralyzed in its response to Iran out of a desire to protect a group of sailors from an allied country that was incapable of protecting them itself.

The United States already has two aircraft carriers in the neighborhood — the USS Stennis and the USS Eisenhower — to which the French recently added one of their own. The USS Nimitz battle group sets sail for the Gulf from San Diego next week; and the USS Ronald Reagan is in the South China Sea and can be added to the strike force at a moment’s notice.

The opening move of the endgame will be signaled when the Pentagon announces the forward deployment of about 20 strategic bombers — B-1s, B-2s, and B-52s — to Diego Garcia just a few hundred miles south of the Persian Gulf. My bet is that this will happen when Iran expels the IAEA inspectors.

With four aircraft-carrier battle groups, several hundred carrier-based strike fighters, and 20 strategic bombers just minutes or hours from Iran, the United States will have assembled everything it needs to cripple the regime and wipe out the most important elements of its nuclear program. Iran needs to know that this is the only alternative to complying with the Security Council resolutions. Otherwise, in a few years, Iran could be holding all of us hostage.

Mario Loyola, a former Pentagon consultant, is a fellow at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan