my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » The nihilism of soccer

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The nihilism of soccer
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 25, 2006 05:09     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nil, Nil
The nihilism of soccer: The more you look, the less there is to see.

by Frank Cannon & Richard Lessner
06/23/2006 12:00:00 AM

IN ITS RECENT WORLD CUP CONTEST WITH ITALY, the U.S. team played what was widely regarded by the sport's connoisseurs as one of the best games ever played by an American soccer squad on foreign soil.

The historic game with Italy ended in an epic 1-1 tie. But in what was ballyhooed as one of the greatest games ever played by an American team, the United States failed to score. The goal credited to the Americans was scored by an opposing player who--oops!--accidentally kicked the ball into his own goal.

Think about this about this for a moment. It just about sums up everything you need to know about soccer, or football, as it is known elsewhere.

Soccer is the perfect game for the post-modern world. It's the quintessential expression of the nihilism that prevails in many cultures, which doubtlessly accounts for its wild popularity in Europe. Soccer is truly Seinfeldesque, a game about nothing, sport as sensation.

Most soccer matches end in scoreless ties (or nil, nil in soccer parlance), 1-1 deadlocks or 1-0 victories. A final score of 2-1 is regarded as a veritable outburst of offense, an avalanche of goal scoring that leaves exhausted fans shaking their heads and pining for the old days when teams knew how to play strong defense. A score of 2-0 is said to be a crushing victory (or defeat) of Carthaginian proportions rendering national shame and humiliation and potentially resulting in coup d'etat, or even war.

In truth, soccer could be played without using a ball at all, and few would notice the difference. The game consists of 22 men running up and down a grassy field for 90 minutes with little happening as fans scream wildly. When the ball actually approaches one of the goals, the fans reach fever pitch and the cheering becomes a deafening roar.

Of course, these infrequent occurrences in which the soccer ball approaches the end zone--where goaltenders wile away their time perusing magazines, trimming their fingernails or inspecting blades of grass--rarely result in a shot on goal. Most often the ball ends up high over the goal, missing everything by 20 or 30 feet. These "near misses" typically send the fans into paroxysms; TV announcers scream themselves hoarse. Then the players mill about the field for another 20 or 30 minutes or so and the goaltenders return to their musings before the ball returns, like Halley's comet in its far-flung orbit, for another pass in the general vicinity of the goal.

Mostly soccer is just guys in shorts running around aimlessly, a metaphor for the meaninglessness of life. Whole blocks of game time transpire during which absolutely nothing happens. Fortunately, this permits fans to slip out for a bratwurst and a beer without missing anything important. It's little wonder fans at times resort to brawling amongst themselves in the grandstands, as there is so little transpiring on the field of play to occupy their wandering attention. Watching men in shorts scampering around has its limitations. It's like gazing too long at a painting by de Kooning or Jackson Pollock. The more you look, the less there is to see.

DESPITE HEROIC EFFORTS of soccer moms, suburban liberals, and World Cup hype, soccer will never catch on as a big time sport in America. No game in which actually scoring goals is of such little importance could possibly occupy the attention of average Americans. Our country has yet to succumb to the nihilism, existentialism, and anomie that have overtaken Europe. A game about nothing, in which scoring is purely incidental, holds scant interest for Americans who still believe the world makes sense, that life has a larger meaning and structure, that being is not an end in itself, being qua being.

Another reason why soccer will never enthrall Americans is that the game is contrary to nature. What is it that is unique to the physical makeup of human beings that sets us apart from the animal world? Two things: Our large brains and our grasping hands with opposable thumbs. Our big brain is why we're called homo sapiens, thinking man. And our ability to use our hands to grasp and manipulate objects is why one of our early ancestors was designated homo habilis, handy man. Human beings are thinking toolmakers. We're able to imagine the arrowhead in the stone and use our hands to carve it out of the rock. These two uniquely human traits have allowed us to become the dominant species on the planet.

Yet soccer flies in the face of nature. In almost all other sports, the head is protected against injury. Players wear helmets and try to avoid contact with sticks, bats, balls, elbows, fists, roadways, goalposts and other things that might inflict injury on that big brain that gives humans the ability to plan ahead, calculate, strategize, coordinate eye and hand movements, anticipate the consequence of actions--in other words, to play the game.

But soccer players use their heads, deliberately, to contact the ball. This is contrary to all human instinct, which is to keep the head out of the way of danger. Duck, you idiot! Protecting the head against injury is deeply rooted in our nature. It's an evolutionary survival response. Sacrifice a limb if you must, give up an arm or leg, but protect your head at all costs. Yet in soccer the player is encouraged, no, expected to hit the ball with his head. This is as stupid an action as a human being can undertake.

Secondly, any game which prohibits the use of the hands is contrary to nature. Opposable thumbs allow humans to grasp things (thumbs on other primate hands such as chimps and orangutans are splayed out the side and are not truly opposable.) This is why the games human beings play involve holding things such as baseball bats, golf clubs and hockey sticks, or to grip and throw objects like a ball or a Frisbee.

Soccer denies its players this most basic human ability. Players cannot catch or throw the ball. But they can hit it with their heads. If one were to set out to invent a game fundamentally at odds with human nature, soccer would be it. Place the head with its big brain in constant danger, and prohibit the use of the hands. Soccer denies to its players the very attributes that make human beings, the thinking toolmaker, human.

Actually, the donkey would have a significant advantage over humans in soccer. It has four legs rather than two. The donkey has no hands or opposable thumbs, nor any need of them in order to play soccer. And smashing its head into a soccer ball probably would not cause any diminution of equine IQ. Soccer, then, would appear to be a game better suited to dim-witted quadrupeds than to human beings.

Frank Cannon and Richard Lessner, consultants with Capital City Partners, have spent most of the World Cup watching ESPN re-runs of the world's strongest man contest.

© Copyright 2006, News Corporation, Weekly Standard, All Rights Reserved.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Utilities/printer_preview.asp?idArticle=12384&R=ECD09FD1

|  IP: Logged
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 25, 2006 05:40     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The true reason why soccer will never catch on in the USA? Money - the global corporations make billions out of American Football and Baseball, both in my opinion totally balls out boring as hell sports for pussies who don't really want to get hurt. If Amrican Footballers want to prove themselves they should try some rugby, but I reckon they wouldn't last 5 seconds before they cried like pussies because they couldn't wear their body armour.

Mind you the play acting that goes on in football does wind me up no end and does spoil what can be a great spectacle.

The writer of the article is anti football anyway. Nuff said.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted June 25, 2006 07:34     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kniker is right and i add

Who cares if "soccer" catches in the US or not? it catched in the rest of the world they can play their "world series", world c'mon gotta be joking?!who really cares?outside the US?

ps: the guy that wrote that article misses one point its called Football elsewhere, yes played with the foot not the hands.
He can come with his pseudo psico-sociological idiotic views/aswers but how can he explain that rich big iq(this sounds like anus)countries embrace it as well?

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 25, 2006 07:46     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yawn.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 25, 2006 10:39     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the piece was meant to be humorous but there's definitely some truth there about why it hasn't caught on in America. I don't want it to catch on here. It wouldn't be as special if it was playing at every sports bar in town. Now the only place I can go to watch it is a british pub in town....and that's perfectly all right with me.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 25, 2006 13:59     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL! I knew that one would stir up some controversy.

I agree with Knicker about Baseball being boring and what he said about the fall-downs in Football (Soccer).
But i disagree about Amerikan Football players being such pussies and the sport being boring.
Sure...compared to Rugby players...EVERYONE is a pussy. Even my beloved Hockey guys.
Rugby players are just simpily crazy! I do love that sport...but cant see much of it on TV here.
Amerikan Football is so much more brutal than Europe Football (Soccer).
The Amerikan boys could eat European Footballers for breakfast...with or without Armour.

There are two main things that make Europe Football (World Football...Soccer...whatever) boring as hell to me.
More boring than 18 holes of Golf or a Tennis match.

1. LOW...LOW...NIL Scores. Just like the Article complains about.
Solution to that is to make the whole damn playing field smaller!
Smaller field = more scoring opportunities = more goals.
Benefits to doing that would result in the generation of more excitement in the sport.
Generating more excitement will...bottom line...mean more MONEY.
Amerikans would watch it and like it more if it were more exciting. Not just Amerikans though.
The benefits to changing things to allow more scorring are incredible!
Why havent the dummies in charge thought of that yet?

2. Those fucking fall-downs must STOP! They must be banned from the sport...just like what Knicker wants to do.
If someone is really injured...they will be taken care of, but the whole fake fall-downs thing is EXACTLY why Amerikans and many others laugh at that sport.
Talk about a bunch of pussies. Dont the Idiots in charge realize how damaging that is to the image of Football?
Fakeing an injury to gain a foul against the other team is one of the most unsportsman-like things i have ever seen in my life. It is disgusting.
Footballers think they are real men? Stop falling like pussies then.
Take your lumps and get that ball in the net!

If those two things change in Football...then people would have something to REALLY cheer for...instead of the constant 0-0 games.

In any case...you can enjoy whatever sport on planet earth you like.
I am not condemning those who enjoy Football...just certain aspects of the sport itself.
The Sport needs serious change...and all of my criticisims are meant to be constructive.
I believe they would generate shitloads of more money for those who already have tons of it. lol!

Cheers!

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted June 25, 2006 14:57     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Baseball is the greatest game ever invented so there.

Soccer/Footie IS boring. Up and down and up and down and kick and miss and kick and turnover and not score and kick and not score and turnover and up and down and WOO HOO! 0-0 at the end of regulation!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 25, 2006 18:58     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd apply some hockey rules on football to make it more interesting.

1) The game should last only 60 minutes. Two periods/halves and no stopping the clock, possible extra time at the end of each half.

2) If the score is even after 60 minutes, a 10-minute 'sudden death' extra time will be played. In other words, the first team to score in the overtime will win the game. 2 points to the winning team, 1 for the losing team.

3) If nobody still scores, there will be a penalty shootout.

4) Diving, faking injury, whining, playing time or any other action of that kind should be harshly penalized. Video replays should be made available to the referee.

5) Finland should be moved about 500 km south to make it more suitable for round-the-year outdoors football practice, thus giving us some hope for reaching the WC finals in a century or so.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Bilibaldus
VoivodFan
Member # 798

posted June 25, 2006 23:55     Profile for Bilibaldus   Email Bilibaldus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinenz:
I'd apply some hockey rules on football to make it more interesting.

5) Finland should be moved about 500 km south to make it more suitable for round-the-year outdoors football practice, thus giving us some hope for reaching the WC finals in a century or so.

that should be a rule!
We could also start new policy for the immigrants. Only if you're great football player you can move in.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 25, 2006 23:56     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I second Lyc: yawn.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 26, 2006 05:18     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of the best games of football I have ever seen was a 0-0 draw (first leg of the champions league semi-final last season).

Anyone who thinks a match is dull because of a low final score doesn't understand the game. Simple as that.

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted June 26, 2006 05:48     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
[QBAnyone who thinks a match is dull because of a low final score doesn't understand the game. Simple as that.[/QB]

I'll second that statement!

So Football should be some kind of nihilism, what a load of b*llshit

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted June 26, 2006 08:16     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Anyone who thinks a match is dull because of a low final score doesn't understand the game. Simple as that.

I find it dull because of NO final score!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 26, 2006 09:37     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
I find it dull because of NO final score!

Technically 0-0 IS a final score, so your scenario has never happened.

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted June 26, 2006 09:41     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Technically 0-0 IS a final score, so your scenario has never happened.

I guess you got me there.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 26, 2006 10:15     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
H...

I do understand the game (for the mostpart anyways), but it still doesnt help me.
I gotta have GOALS...even if there are some good plays here & there.

Its ok though. We all like our different sports.
With that said...hope Englund (!) does well.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 26, 2006 15:38     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seems like too many are taking that article too seriously.
I believe the whole "Against human nature" and "Nihilism" things were mostly joking.
Thats the way i take it because they are too silly to be serious.

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted June 26, 2006 16:20     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kula ok yor're pissed cause Croatia is out
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 26, 2006 19:09     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lynn:
Seems like too many are taking that article too seriously.
I believe the whole "Against human nature" and "Nihilism" things were mostly joking.
Thats the way i take it because they are too silly to be serious.

Kula my friend, we who have not embraced football as The Sport should always remember that it's the main religion in many countries. There's no talking about it lightly, and the article you posted is open, shameless blasphemy. Torch the heathen! :P

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 26, 2006 23:18     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This thread got way too much attention. You bastards should be over checking out my NEW DEATH INTERVIEW thread in Too Scared to Scream.................
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 27, 2006 10:14     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did Mez just spam my thread?

He must be a secret Football fan...devastated the U.S. team went home.
So now he is trying to change the subject.

I have committed blasphemy against the great religion of Football? Shame on me!
May i get sent to the hell where there is no Football...and only Hockey games. hehe.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted June 28, 2006 10:35     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
Baseball is the greatest game ever invented so there.

Soccer/Footie IS boring. Up and down and up and down and kick and miss and kick and turnover and not score and kick and not score and turnover and up and down and WOO HOO! 0-0 at the end of regulation!

Indeed! Baseball isn't boring for the same reason soccer isn't boring to those who understand it.I belive it's the only game in which the defense has the ball. The one on one matchup of the pitcher vs. the batter is indeed the greatest duel in sports. Yes, the crotch grabbing and spitting is necessary! Love the game more than any other sport. It's what I grew up with the same as you soccer fans grew up with your sport. Still think it's boring, soccer that is. Maybe a 60 min. clock would help us Amerikans. Then again it probably wouldn't! Score some goals! Play Ghana all the time! With that I am out and off to work. GO FRANCE!! Are they still in?
have fun footie fans!

BASEBALL!!!!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 28, 2006 18:30     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good comment slug!

I wonder what those guys behind the article would write about cricket?

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 29, 2006 10:14     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan