my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Shuttle Launch...WHY?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shuttle Launch...WHY?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 26, 2005 13:07     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What an amazingly huge waste of taxpayer's money. Not to mention all who have died in the name of 'space exploration'. Anybody want to tell me what we are gaining from all this? Oh yeah, scientific study...hmm..well, what exactly??... that can't be done down here.
 |  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted July 26, 2005 13:31     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Korgull is very disappointed in you.

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted July 27, 2005 00:02     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We're gonna need spaceflight at some point, and the problems down here are insoluble, in the view of most. So why not?

--------------------

http://www.livejournal.com/users/infoterror/

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 27, 2005 02:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We already know we can get a plane up there. A mass transit system eh?
I think Nasa should stop wasting its time with stuff like this and concentrate more on the Mars missions, and the recent project where they torpedoed the asteroid, etc...pure scientific study that means something.
Can someone please give me one important reason why all this money was spent to send those...what is it seven guys up there to fly around for a while? Please, I'd like to know.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted July 27, 2005 07:21     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You've hit a nail on the head here, Mez. Ask many scientists who're involved or associated with space exploration, and they'll admit to you that ther is no real point in sending people into space, other than just to fulfil the old spirit of adventure. There's nothing people can do in space that machines and computers can't.

But sending endless machines into the galaxy just isn't as fun or exciting to scientists or most people. I'll bet you that NASA would find it's funding cut drastically if they no longer flew manned missions.

And aside from that, I think it's probably apparent that the long-tem space programme includes plans for manned missions to Mars etc. So small space flights like this are essential for training, building confidence, getting data on how to make things safer, and so on.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted July 27, 2005 08:27     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listen to Into the void by Sabbath. There you have the reason.
But you are right, the old Saturnus style rockets are way cooler.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 27, 2005 12:03     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez is just mad because they keep jettisoning the poop containment bags over his house.

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted July 27, 2005 18:56     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
We already know we can get a plane up there. A mass transit system eh?
I think Nasa should stop wasting its time with stuff like this and concentrate more on the Mars missions, and the recent project where they torpedoed the asteroid, etc...pure scientific study that means something.
Can someone please give me one important reason why all this money was spent to send those...what is it seven guys up there to fly around for a while? Please, I'd like to know.

Aha. I see where you're coming from. The Shuttle is a political thing at this point - just like trying to get a rocket up after sputnik, to prove we aren't losing it.

I'm in favor of keeping the shuttle around, and not giving in to those who want to junk the space program, but I'd enlarge it across the board...

--------------------

http://www.livejournal.com/users/infoterror/

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 13, 2005 12:02     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blip from a little piece i found:

The shuttle has a great future behind it. It was supposed to fly every week — but now is lucky to go a handful of times a year and is grounded again after NASA spent two years and $1 billion failing to figure out how to stop foam from dangerously flaking off the fuel tank. It was supposed to carry satellites into orbit for launching, an impossibly costly way to get satellites into orbit. Now it’s creaky, dangerous and nearly purposeless.

Journalist Gregg Easterbrook, in a devastatingly convincing scourge of the shuttle program, writes: “The shuttle’s main engines, first tested in the late 1970s, use hundreds more moving parts than do new rocket-motor designs. The fragile heat-dissipating tiles were designed before breakthroughs in materials science. Until recently, the flight-deck computers on the space shuttle used old 8086 chips from the early 1980s, the sort of pre-Pentium electronics no self-respecting teenager would dream of using for a video game.”

A Federal Aviation Administration official estimates that if commercial aviation had the same accident rate as the shuttle, more than 500 flights would crash a day. The science projects conducted aboard the shuttle have the musty whiff of make-work. The experiments on the doomed shuttle Columbia included examining “bacterial and yeast cell responses to the stresses of spaceflight” and developing “the gravity-sensing organs of fish in the absence of gravity.”

The spectacularly expensive space station is just as dismal. It was supposed to serve as a jumping-off point for further space exploration and provide a platform for zero-gravity manufacturing. Nothing doing. Now, one of its main functions is to serve as a symbol of international cooperation. The U.S.-Russia joint work on the station is a nice bookend to the Cold War, which had fueled the space race between the two countries. But how much do you want to pay for your nice bookends? The bottled water that astronauts drink on the space station costs nearly half a million dollars a day, according to Easterbrook’s calculation. It has two astronauts on board who are focused on routine maintenance and serve as guinea pigs to test the effects of long-term weightlessness.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 21, 2005 13:24     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Number 6:
Mez is just mad because they keep jettisoning the poop containment bags over his house.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 21, 2005 14:41     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, how did No. 6 know????
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted December 14, 2005 09:12     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Eastern side of Georgia is the dropping-point for waste material from NASA, and Russian space vehicles.

Thats why every day on your farm, you find new items that werent there before.

(Russian poop is the worst)

THRASHING RAGE
VoivodFan
Member # 668

posted January 01, 2006 23:40     Profile for THRASHING RAGE   Email THRASHING RAGE     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I'm with you mez, shuttles are boring. Send up some rockets, go find the Death Star.

frag it. we'll BUILD the fuckin death star.
LETS GO KILL US SOME ALIENS!

--------------------

GO SHIT! IM NOT A FISH!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan