my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » LondonBlasts2

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LondonBlasts2
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 08, 2005 12:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent analysis by Derbyshire:

DERBYSHIRE

Sorry, InfoProztrolloterror, hope you don't mind me starting a new topic in our political section about something more relevant than butterflies.

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted July 08, 2005 12:52     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think he's wrong, on a lot of levels, and I also think a comparison to the release of IRA terrorists and trying to make a point out of that is wrong, too. The thing with the release of the IRA men - and their internment in the first place - is too complicated to deal with in so offhand a manner, as is the tangled web of controversies surrounding the whole Irish Home Rule debate. This crap stretched back hundreds of years, so I think trivialising it like that to make a half-hearted point is disingenuous at best.

I can't see the British public or the government (definitely not Blair's government) backing down one inch over this. If anything, I see them acting with even more resolve to push through their anti-terror programmes here (ID cards and whatnot) and to continue with what we've been doing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Any talk of "doing a Spain", even a little bit, is frankly absurd. You can tell Mr. Derbyshire's not lived in this country for ages.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 08, 2005 18:20     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Since the existence of the nation does not appear to be at stake, citizens, and their alert representatives, are free to ponder, with a clear and patriotic conscience, where their self-interest lies. In a whole-hearted cooperation with America in the war on terror? Or in accommodation with the terrorists? What are the pros and cons, from the point of view of an ordinary British citizen who does not give a fig about America, or Israel, or Iraq? Who just wants a quiet life? To ask the question is to answer it. There have been no IRA bombs in London since Gerry Adams got his government limousine; there have been none in Madrid since the Spaniards kicked out the Aznar government, and pulled their troops out of Iraq.

I don’t mean to imply that the British are cowardly. If a man seeks to steal my car, burn my house, and assault my wife, it would indeed be cowardly of me to appease him; but if a man shows up to break a couple of my windows every third or fourth year, he is just a nuisance, not a threat, and there would be nothing dishonorable in paying him off for a few hundred dollars..

my DOG ! that stone thrower just killed 40 people and wounded 700 with the glass from your broken window, paying them off with money or submitting to terrorist demands will only make things worse.

quote:
LONDON - Four explosions rocked the London subway and tore open a packed double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday, sending bloodied victims fleeing in the worst attack on London since World War II.

http://www.thestarpress.com/articles/6/042644-3116-001.html

i would'nt know myself, i was not born until 73.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted July 09, 2005 06:15     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Agree with Lyc, and it is abundantly clear that the author of the article hasn't a clue on how the situation between the IRA and the British government lead from terrorist attacks to negotiation. In fact as I recall it the IRA were the ones to make first contact, admitting in private they could never take on the British and win by force. Britain's dealings with Northern Ireland are hugely complex, it simply cannot be swept away with such ingorant generalisations as contained in that article.

And if anybody thinks this government will back down they can think again. This was an attack on pretty much every race that lives - London is possibly the most multicultural city on the planet. The first bomb went off in a moslem district. They have succeeded in killing their own, so no, this was not an attack on British people.

The bombings were targeted to derail and interrupt the G8 summit. If this summit was in France it would have been the Paris metro bombed, plain and simple. Mark my words, wherever a major political event like this occurs in future, you can be sure that the people responsible for the London bombs will stretch every sinew to mount a similar attack in whatever city the event is held.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 09, 2005 10:42     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope Knick and Lync are right. He is a bit of a cynic...we shall see. Glad to hear your viewpoints.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan