my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Death by Starvation (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Death by Starvation
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 03, 2005 15:29     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by srprozak:
Technically, smoking does not cause cancer - it's a contributing factor.

Fine line of difference, but an essential observation.

Correct - my grandfather died at the age of 87, and had smoked for over 65 years. When they checked for the cause of his death they did not find a single cancerous cell in his body - it was a simple urinary infection which his pride and fear of hospitals stopped him from sorting out. By the time we were aware he had problems it was too late. He died of poisoning, nothing else.

I would add that smoking massively increases the chance of getting cancer but it alone does not actually cause it. You have to be susceptible in the first place, and it would appear that the vast majority of us are.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

|  IP: Logged
srprozak
VoivodFan
Member # 566

posted April 03, 2005 16:19     Profile for srprozak   Email srprozak     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knickerzohnonnof:
I would add that smoking massively increases the chance of getting cancer but it alone does not actually cause it. You have to be susceptible in the first place, and it would appear that the vast majority of us are.

Yep. And it gets really complex to diagnose actual cause as a collusion of contributing factors, or solely genetic in origins. It amazed me when I first read that most smokers do not get cancer. You'd think otherwise reading the propaganda.

Interestingly, the first government to really want to ban cigarettes was completely rebuffed by its population:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691070512/

Not sure how I stand on this. Honestly, I'm not one to worry about lives lost, since on our present path, we're going to lose all lives anyway (ecocide). Were I a gov't, I'd probably sell cigarettes and heroin at cost, no age limit, from corner stores. Call it natural selection.

--------------------

http://www.anus.com/
http://www.churcharson.com/
http://www.gnaa.us/

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 05, 2005 08:46     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice evasion!

The RULE OF LAW states that perjury is a crime and also states that your spouse - not your parents - has legal right to make decisions for you such as the one made by Terri Schiavo's husband.

So, why is one okay and not the other? Imagine that - bleeding heart Republicans! I liked them better when they were for smaller government.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted April 05, 2005 13:20     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
to quote Teddy Roosevelt in the opening of the americans induction to WW2.

quote:
:Roosevelt:

History has recorded for all time who threw the first punch -
But History will also record who it was that threw the last.

go ahead wit ya bad self Teddy... damn bleeding heart Republican.

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 05, 2005 20:15     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You still didn't directly address the question, Mr. Clint- er, Warcorpse.

Is it okay to selectively uphold the virtues of law? Is law disposable when a moralistic crusade is at work? Tom Delay made a decision to 'unplug' his poor Dad after his quality of life was reduced to nil. Where was the outcry then? Oh, right. There was none because TV ratings wouldn't have favored it then.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 06, 2005 16:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just for the record.....I'm all for states rights and don't think W. nor the Republicans should have gotten involved. It was a state matter and the state who killed the woman. They are responsible.
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 06, 2005 18:54     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
She is dead. You win.

That implies that I wanted her to die, which isn't true.

Three tries to get you to acknowledge some conservative hypocrisy without a bite, so I'll quit.

Conservatives are never wrong. You win. Enjoy that Kool-Aid.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 20, 2005 10:56     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
More twisting of the facts lyc ?

quote:
canada has the second largest supply of clean unprocessed water in the world, but the communist government up there

I was talking about food, not water (which is why I said it after food, not after water, BTW), but I will admit that this is one of those hazy pieces of knowledge from the back of my mind imposed by high-school visits from UN-affiliated activists. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I heard it somewhere.

However, I can't seem to find the Democratic Republic of Canuckistan anywhere on my map.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 15, 2005 17:36     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/assisted_suicide

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted June 15, 2005 19:42     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From the sounds of that report, her brain was as alive as the average voter's brain...

--------------------

http://www.livejournal.com/users/infoterror/

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 15, 2005 20:17     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i find it interesting from the perspective that the propaganda teams from both sides had their respective dupes convinced of the "science" on their side.

--------------------

infoterror
VoivodFan
Member # 568

posted June 15, 2005 22:39     Profile for infoterror   Email infoterror     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cthon:
i find it interesting from the perspective that the propaganda teams from both sides had their respective dupes convinced of the "science" on their side.

At this point, our infotainment "news" media is completely balkanized. "Whatever pays, dude..."

--------------------

http://www.livejournal.com/users/infoterror/

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 16, 2005 18:02     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
We need to invade Aruba.

i laughed...

(i thought we already owned almost every tropical island in the world. thats why Cuba pisses us off so much, i guess)

a conservative commentator suggested Schiavo was following the balloon by echo location (you know, like Daredevil?).

(just kidding on that last one, yall)

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan