my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Jonquiere, unions, Wal-Mart

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jonquiere, unions, Wal-Mart
ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted February 10, 2005 00:06     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
By ADAM GELLER

NEW YORK (AP) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) said Wednesday it will close a Canadian store whose workers are on the verge of becoming the first ever to win a union contract from the world's biggest retailer.

Wal-Mart said it was shuttering the store in Jonquiere, Quebec, in response to unreasonable demands from union negotiators, that would make it impossible for the store to sustain its business. The United Food and Commercial Workers of Canada last week asked Quebec labor officials to appoint a mediator, saying that negotiations had reached an impasse.

"We were hoping it wouldn't come to this," said Andrew Pelletier, a spokesman for Wal-Mart Canada. "Despite nine days of meetings over three months, we've been unable to reach an agreement with the union that in our view will allow the store to operate efficiently and profitably."

Pelletier said the store will close in May.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted February 10, 2005 07:30     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just read the same thing.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/09/national/main672748.shtml

Once again, WalMart screws its Employees and the surrounding Community.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 10, 2005 08:57     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I laughed when I heard this. Now that is corporate machismo...you fuck with us, we close the store!!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 10, 2005 17:13     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know, unions have their place in the national workplace but after a year working for a corporation...some of the demands I've seen that employees place on their employer....leaves little wonder why employers have said screw this.. and moved to areas of the world where people are eager for work. Its not just for the savings in money believe me.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted February 10, 2005 20:06     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
It's annoying to type up a response to a post, and then to see the quoted post get deleted. What happened lync? It did sound pompous.

Descend.

I realised it was a shitty post and deleted it. Sorry if I caused annoyance, but them's the breaks. Contact your union.

But then, of course, you can't. Which means, in a hypothetical situation, I could continue to write shitty (yet apparently provocative) posts, wait until you tried to respond and then delete them all day long. And there wouldn't be anything you could od about it, because you have no means of negotiating.

In reality, you own the site and could kick my ass faster than you can say "405'd". But them's the breaks too.

I'd like to hear the employees' point of view on this. Wal-Mart has a long, long history of denying union representation and other less than salubrious practices. It's never just one side.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 10, 2005 20:26     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
...I could continue to write shitty (yet apparently provocative) posts, wait until you tried to respond and then delete them all day long.

Sounds like what Gorf does, except for the provocative part of course. Heheh.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan