my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Cassini-Huygens

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cassini-Huygens
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 19, 2005 17:14     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, getting nervous posting two new topics in here... , but here goes.

Hey, this one's just cool and fascinating! Anyone paying attention to the Titan landing!?

The official site: Cassini-Huygens

The pics on the left look like stills from Tarkovsky's "Solaris". More alien worlds for us to see.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 19, 2005 17:18     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been watching this since the pictures came out. It's absolutely fascinating. We had a good idea what Mars and the Moon looked like before we went there, but Cassini-Huygens has truly charted new ground here. Some of the panoramic views are breathtaking, almost earth-like.

It's hypothesised that Titan is very like Earth was 4 billion or so years ago, so the data could help us to track how planets and atmoshperes are formed. Awesome stuff.

For cheap amusement, check out the MP3s of the radar recordings as it landed. As I said to a friend, it sounds pretty much like a drunk guy going mental on a MIDI keyboard.

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted January 20, 2005 22:39     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...Neptune, TITAN, stars can frighten...

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted February 09, 2005 15:45     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
X-D did you get a chance to watch (the sky at night) on febuary 7th ? it showed alot of insider detail about the spacecraft and the mission. also shows you that little probe living on the surface for more than 2 hours ! 3 min was the expected lifespan on the surface.

what a moon... now if there was just a way we could transport all that methane back to earth, so i could buy myself a SUV

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 09, 2005 16:07     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Hatross,

I missed this. I see it was BBC produced, but can't find any reference to it on the BBC America site. What station was it aired on? Looks really good from the BBC blurb online.

--------------------

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted February 09, 2005 16:36     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
encoding now its about 30min long but the avi file size i have ia about 300mb. i should be able to get it down in size with .wmv.

it was not aired that i am aware of here in US, but thanks to some cool chaps over in the UK i get my regular fix of space documentaries.

Edit: if you remember a show called (stargazer) that used to run on tv here in the states, this show is similar but also little more upto date.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted February 09, 2005 17:09     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
windows media video @ 320x240, 25fps, 30:min, 22.MB

http://s34.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0PF80C7TLVC3L3P5JCRN88DPCR

:ORBIT:

To reach Saturn, Cassini-Huygens used a series of gravity-assist manoeuvres, with swingbys from Venus (2x), Earth and Jupiter.
On 1 July 2004 the spacecraft entered into orbit around Saturn after being captured by the planet's gravity.

:ACHIEVEMENTS:

The Huygens probe has successfully landed on Saturn's largest moon Titan. At around 11:30 UTC 14 January 2005 the probe touched down on the surface of this distant world. This event makes it the only landing to take place in the outer Solar System and the furthest from Earth.

and some pictures from the converted version, far from full quality but not bad for 22mb.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 10, 2005 14:50     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey thanks Hatross! Gotta love yousendit! haha! DLing it now. Cheers!

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan