my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Liven up a bit, folks!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Liven up a bit, folks!
Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 16, 2004 18:09     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.turnyourbackonbush.com/

im sure both sides will find something to laugh about here.... interesting idea to counteract the marginalization of protest lately, tho.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 17, 2004 18:09     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I protest against Bush by living in a completely different country. That'll show him.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 18, 2004 23:08     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i read that during the last Bush visit to Britain, that your government followed the US line of derailing protest groups (of course it was all to make sure no terrorists were protesting).........maybe British protestors might learn something from this if it succeeds......

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 19, 2004 12:44     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, old Teflon Tony is fighting the War on Freedom of Expression just as hard as his good friend across the pond. Turning your back just seems like a bit of a meaningless gesture which will do nothing except pander to the idea of opposition members as lily-livered simpletons who like hugging trees and wearing fuzzy cardigans. Would be amusing to see how many did it, mind.

That said, British Law Lords ruled the other day that our illegal holding of "terror suspects" indefinitely without trial was, erm, illegal. One of them went so far as to say that the government's hysterical authoritarian terror laws and ignorance of Habeas Corpus was "a greater threat to democracy and freedom than terrorism". Shit, that's almost word for word what I've been saying for three years. Maybe I should demand royalties.

There's hope yet. It's not often that I say this, but I am glad I live here in Britain.

Now, if anyone wants me, I'll be on No. 10's doorstep, with a slightly modified version of the Labour Party's rallying call for 18 years.

"Tony! Tony! Tony! Out! Out! Out!"

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted December 19, 2004 18:49     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I won't be shouting that. That will give Michael Howard the keys to No 10 and he scares me far more than Tony Blair ever could. Let's be realistic, the Lib Dem's don't have a chance this time, but if this next election pans out well for them they could be looking more of a threat in 4 years time. Don't fret too much, I doubt Blair will be able to serve a full 3rd term after announcing he won't go for a 4th - there will be a 'bloodless coup' somewhere during term 3 I think.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 20, 2004 06:22     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I wasn't being serious in the last part. I think you give too much credit to the amount of support the ol' Conservative party is able to drum up. Howard himself is odds on to lose his seat at this election.

Although, yeah, I agree. Blair won't last, and a Labour government has more silver linings to its cloud than the Conservatives. Just don't expect me to vote for either.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted December 20, 2004 12:15     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Well, I wasn't being serious in the last part. I think you give too much credit to the amount of support the ol' Conservative party is able to drum up. Howard himself is odds on to lose his seat at this election.

Although, yeah, I agree. Blair won't last, and a Labour government has more silver linings to its cloud than the Conservatives. Just don't expect me to vote for either.

I suspected as much. I personally don't think the Tories stand an earthly in the coming election, but voter apathy is the Labour party's biggest threat in my opinion. I think the primary interests will be:

a) The Labour majority (I expect it will be halved at least);
b) How much progress the Lib Dems make;
c) The next Conservative leader after Howard becomes embattled with the Lib Dems for the wooden spoon;
d) Voter turnout.

In reality Labour will emerge with a third term because the Lib Dems are not in a position to challenge for power as yet, and the Tories are in no better a position now than they were before Duncan Smith was usurped. But I'd be much happier if Labour get a small majority, say no more than 50. Some of our best policies have emerged when things are mathematically tight in the commons. I think another term with a majority of 150+ will do our country no good at all.

Most importantly, if voter turnout goes below 60% again then we have to seriously question the validity of a voting system where over 40% of the electorate didn't take part.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 20, 2004 13:20     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I think another term with a majority of 150+ will do our country no good at all.

I agree. Nothing good happens when one party is able to legislate almost as they please without having to discuss things in detail.

Voter turnout is interesting. I'd like to think that the post-2001 Britain is far more politicised than it's been in a while. There's lots of issues out there which have really raised people's ire, I'd like to see how that translates into voting figures.

If it doesn't go over 60% again, then questions will have to be asked, I agree. But I think it probably will.

Me? Just trying to make sure good ol' Steve Webb gets returned.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted December 27, 2004 15:26     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Frankly, I'm appalled by the lack of
patriotism here.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 06, 2005 17:15     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
any bets on how much the Mighty Liberal Media is gonna cover this when it goes down? my guess: they are gonna quit being the liberal media for one day only.

--------------------

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 06, 2005 19:31     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would put good money on that, Cthon.
Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 07, 2005 19:50     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its 1984, its Big Brother.

Its the Blackguards Control.

How much more proof do you farts need?

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 08, 2005 08:09     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it was as you say, you wouldn't be able to write that. Nice logic.

People who say things like that always imagine that this is a degradation of some sort, and that we all lived in some sort of free-speech idyll in the near past, before The Man came along. This is complete bullshit, as anyone with even a passing knowledge of history will tell you.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 08, 2005 17:28     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorf:
Its 1984, its Big Brother.

Its the Blackguards Control.

How much more proof do you farts need?

More than those three lines of useless dirge.

Agree Lyc, it's never really changed and anybody that thinks it has is living in a fantasy world.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted January 08, 2005 18:42     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, it has changed. It's changed for the better, most definitely. Of course, this goes unnoticed a lot of the time, which is a shame. Once upon a time grumbling about the government would have you imprisoned, standing on a hill yelling "all Catholics are bastards" got a visitation from Torquemada and his chums.

At the turn of the 21st century, western society has more freedom of expression and thought than it ever has had. There is still much room for improvement, sure, but we really have never had it so good.

And that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 11, 2005 18:30     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What exactly, then, is "Jack Luminous" about ?
Cthon
Member # 156

posted January 25, 2005 09:11     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it wasnt mentioned in 8 pages of Inauguration coverage in the Charleston paper. i didnt see any coverage on the TV, either.

--------------------

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted January 28, 2005 16:09     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No answer, eh?

Well, that makes about as much sense as
a Neo Con running the Voivod board.

Whatever.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 28, 2005 05:49     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Makes me wanna protest to "well... whoever is in control up there" ? but im sure it does'nt really matter, we have our share of problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The “Junkification” of Canada by the Left

to the tune of $8 million of taxpayers’ money--starting this week, in Vancouver, BC.

Leave it to the Canadian “harm reduction” leftists to advocate in favor of using Canadian citizens as guinea pigs to essentially duplicate a failed experiment. And while the government is funding heroin injections for junkies, diabetics can’t afford needles, and addicts who want into
treatment centers to get off heroin end up on a waiting list.

The “junkification” of Canada, by the loony left is certainly well underway, with projects like free heroin and the idea of decriminalizing marijuana taking the country one step closer to a culture war with America--it’s largest trading partner.

As Rep. Mark Souder (R-IN), member of the US House Committee on Homeland Security, points out: “Canada has a right to pass whatever they do. But if you don’t have harmonization of drug laws, and there is a disconnect,
then we will have a right in the United States to re-evaluate our border strategy.”

With one foot in a dumpster and the other on a banana peel, Canada is the doped-up, misdirected, know-it-all kid who thinks he’s cool and ‘progressive’ but he clearly doesn’t give a damn about his future.

full article

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan