my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » My Vacation Nightmare: Or Why America is Neurotic

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Vacation Nightmare: Or Why America is Neurotic
Planetary Eulogy
VoivodFan
Member # 436

posted June 01, 2004 14:23     Profile for Planetary Eulogy   Email Planetary Eulogy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got a call from my mother on Wednesday. "Honey, why don't you come meet us down at the beach Friday? Take a couple of days to unwind." It sounded like a fine idea to me, I'd always enjoyed spending time communing with wind and wave, and maybe wetting a line for five or six hours at a stretch. I really should have known better.

Within about 10 minutes of breaking away from work, it had become apparent that my “getaway” weekend might not be all it was cracked up to be. Traffic had begun stacking up in the eastbound lanes almost before the office was out of sight, and a drive that should have taken 4 hours in a reasonable, sane world turned into a 7 hour nightmare of extreme irritation, exhaust, and dodging morons in SUV’s. When I finally arrived, I found the quiet, quaint island I loved as a child a Yankee infested rathole inundated with status-flaunting assholes and their undisciplined brats, each squalling family packed to the gills in their own personal assault vehicles. The salt marshes where I’d spent countless hours as a child crabbing and just exploring had largely been filled in so that senile bastards long past their useful existence could enjoy a round of golf. The inlet and jetty where I’d always had my best luck fishing were totally inaccessible, having been buried under a rental facility for “personal watercraft.” As for the beach, it was packed with the grotesquely fat and hideously hairy, as well as their mounds and mounds of space eating personal effects (not to mention the mounds of refuse the slobs left behind). Paradoxically, very few went in the water (most seeming to prefer the antiseptic swimming pools of their condos to the joys of the Atlantic Ocean). Even still, the one time I managed to fight through the crowd to get a line in the water, a noxiously Jewish housewife worked herself into hysterics after I caught a small blacktip shark (all of 4.5 feet and maybe 60 or 70 lbs). I mean, I was attracting these things into the shallows where they might hurt her baby (who appeared to be about 10 and weighed a good 150 lbs, how a shark the size of my leg was supposed to be a threat to the Son of Leviathan I don’t know). So here I sit back at work and not the least bit relaxed, having completed my “vacation” with another 7 hour drive amongst total idiots. Man, there's nothing like "getting away from it all."

It's the consumerism, stupid!

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted June 02, 2004 19:44     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try standing in endless lines at Disneyland, hour upon hour, and then coming to the swift conclusion that everyone ahead of you must die immediately!

I'll never go back again, even though my wife insists that we take a vacation there, only for the simple fact that she's never been to Disneyland. I didn't enjoy the "novelty" of it all either.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 03, 2004 05:30     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grrr...Vacations! I don't like to travel to tourist attractons like disneyworld for exactly those reasons. I'd rather stay home and enjoy the wilderness around me. Around here there is so much wilderness to see and so many places to visit where almost nobody seems to go because it is so bleak and wild...That's what I like to see. That's my idea of a vacation. Peace, quiet, and only a few souls dotted around quietly enjoying the same.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan