my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Kurt Vonnegut - Cold Turkey

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kurt Vonnegut - Cold Turkey
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 14, 2004 13:12     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I strongly encourage you read this piece written by Vonnegut that was published this week. The world needs more minds like his...

Cold Turkey

|  IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 14, 2004 15:04     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Monkey Capuchin Little Delightful, aka MCLD. That was great. Perhaps I will call myself a "doughnut". I wish Burroughs and Bowles were alive to add their own sketched out commentary on the state of our sad, sad world.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 14, 2004 17:41     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the very last part was sublime.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 14, 2004 17:48     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I swore I'd never post in Tech. Manip again, on pain of Angel Rat shooting me (thanks buddy, you have my permission), but I enjoyed that, and agree. A good read.
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 15, 2004 08:16     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
geesh... another "WERE RUNNING OUT OF GAS" paranoia write up. if it happens in our life time then so be it. i can still build a campfire and i could hunt to feed myself. who really is more so addicted/dependant to the lifestyle ?

not a bad article but the author dont seem to concerned with the Quality of which he is living his life, instead his tortured state of mind will not seem to let him enjoy life.

fuck i think i am going to rock out to Pink Floyds 'Dark Side Of The Moon' lp today.

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted May 16, 2004 03:03     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I find myself asking the question again.

We need to get off fossil fuels for the obvious reasons....but if we are almost out, then why haven't the power companies bought stock in solar panels, install them and start billing us for them? They are begining to try to give us incentives for buying hybrid cars. They could have done it sooner.

...but didn't that NOT happen until THIS administration?

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 16, 2004 07:04     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
If one of these things occurred, the pessimists would be right for the wrong reasons, but history suggests that their forecast will join the many others in the doomsday graveyard

http://www.worldenergy.org/wec-geis/publications/default/tech_papers/17th_congres s/3_4_06.asp

this is a good link, it has alot of info on synthetic fuels and in section 3. it comments on reserves and years left at current consumption rates.

Charon
VoivodFan
Member # 396

posted May 16, 2004 19:04     Profile for Charon   Email Charon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:
http://www.worldenergy.org/wec-geis/publications/default/tech_papers/17th_con gres s/3_4_06.asp

this is a good link, it has alot of info on synthetic fuels and in section 3. it comments on reserves and years left at current consumption rates.

That IS a good link. It talks about bridging energy sources...which is kinda what I was talking about. Around here you see alot of single solar panels on peoples roofs. I am told they knock a precentage off your light bill which is why people get them. It seems very practicle because its so sunny here and people run air conditioners alot. If everyone was required by the power co. to invest in a solar panel it would take a precentage off EVERYONES light bill, thus using less fossil fuels for creating energy and those who have gas run water heaters could revert to something different AND in the long run, it would SAVE EVERYBODY MONEY...because thats why people get them.

However....there is a market concerning the use of oil and products that use oil that are not ready to allow themselves to be eliminated, besides....it's not time because we are not nearly out yet BUT this goes to show you why it's important for an organization to have restrictions on oil despite people screaming about the energy crisis AND to keep people from smuggling oil (see UN and other corperate scandels)
Actually if you think about it....the gas prices shouldn't be going down....they should be going up, because it's a comodity people need to learn to use frugally.

In this administration there has been the introduction of hybrid cars despite the influence that oil has on the auto industry AND they are talking about giving tax breaks to people who by hybrid cars. The hope and incentives are there.

Another thing I would like to point out is N. Korea just as an example. Not only is there starvation but they were screaming about an energy crisis too, but instead of investing in alternative energy sources...they are making bombs.

Perhaps one day they will get past the issues that have arisen from their choice of form of government and work to solve the bigger problems, but who knows. They won't if they don't have to. Clinton wasn't going to make them and I seriously don't think Kerry will. I think he will fit the circles back into squares and be content....never bothering to look down the road.

If people are appeased with cheap fuel, why would anyone bother to invest in a different kind of car? They wouldn't.....they would wait for someone else to do it and never think twice about sticking with the old ways.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan