my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Gay marriage

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay marriage
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted August 07, 2003 14:47     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I watched the first 20 minutes of the new Bill Maher show on HBO last night, and was in disbelief at how convoluted the arguments against gay marriage are. Without fail, the argument against always seems to fall back on how the 'Bible says it's wrong'. Hmm. Okay, so they're referring to Leviticus. Yeah, in Leviticus it also says that you have the right to put to death any man that works on a Sunday. Doesn't it make sense that someone who says that homosexuals should not be allowed to get married because the Bible says it's wrong also agree that I should be allowed to kill the poor schmuck working behind the counter of a 7-11 on a Sunday afternoon? Sound absurd?

I wish these people would just be honest and admit that they just don't like gays and have a prejudice towards them. They're the worst kind of fucking pussy. I wouldn't agree with them, but at least they wouldn't be trying to hide behind their religion. I also love it when someone says "I don't have anything against them, they can do what they want behind closed doors - just don't hit on me!" - this is usually some fat fucking disgusting slob with a hairy back talking about some gay dude who looks like Brad Pitt. Yeah, I'm sure he dreams of licking your balls.

Anyway, my own view on the issue is that it's ridiculous to argue that people shouldn't be allowed to be married if they love each other. Why is it okay for Eric Menendez to get married while he's serving life in prison for killing his parents, but a couple of women who are kind, hard-working, good people can't get married? Or two guys who love each other? Whenever I see that some dumbfuck beat the crap out of his wife and kids, my blood boils. THIS guy was allowed to get married. Great.

I don't care if someone argues that "marriage" by definition means "the union of a man and a woman". Okay, fine. Call it something different. Call it getting "partnered" or "unified" - whatever. Homosexuals pay taxes just like heterosexuals and should be able to enjoy the same tax and insurance privileges that married straight people have.

|  IP: Logged
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted August 07, 2003 15:12     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kula - you're right about the Sunday/Sabbath issue. I don't think it nullifies my point, though. Thanks for pointing it out - someone's paying attention!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 07, 2003 16:08     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fucking hell KK, you keep throwing these intellectual curve balls at me! Torah? Calendars? I'm gonna have to get to work on a whole bunch of new put-downs, cactus fucker just doesn't hold any weight when you come out with that shit.

As for gay marriage, I find it odd that it's even being discussed. What stone-age mentality could possibly object?

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted August 07, 2003 18:00     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EKH (um, er, EKM) - I can't believe that it has to be discussed either. Welcome to the 2nd Stone Age.

Glad to know others here share my view on this one.

Gorf
VoivodFan
Member # 119

posted August 08, 2003 13:10     Profile for Gorf   Email Gorf     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get your hands off me, Kula !!!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 08, 2003 14:21     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry Gorf. I'm drunk on Rum and you felt real good.

Yes, Nia, i'm a Multi-Talented person.
Teaching History lessons one day & yelling Blacky the next.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 08, 2003 20:18     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sexuality is a private thing as far as I see it. The law should not discriminate between hetero and homosexuals. The only thing I would say about homosexuals is that things such as the gay pride parades look more like a freak show than anything else. If there was a hetero pride parade I'd still feel the same. There is no need to draw attention to yourselves in this way. I believe this hurts rather then helps their fight for equality in law.
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted August 09, 2003 01:43     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
According to my Dog-awful Catholic upbringing and my Reader's Digest Bible, the Sabbath was on Saturday! I'm so confused about that fact to this day.
All I remember about Leviticus is the M*A*S*H episode when Father Mulcahey got drunk on the sacramental wine and read,"Drink no wine nor strong drink...lest you die." (hiccup) And Radar had to pick him up off the floor!
BTW, I agree with you all on the gay marriage topic. My boss is gay and most of my co-workers and I have no problem with 'em.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 10, 2003 00:14     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with what Kane and the rest of you are saying too. If two people of the same sex want to live together legally married they should be able to.
About the gay parades and stuff, the ONE thing I hate about gay people is their need to flaunt it. OK, you're gay, so what? They think it is their duty in life to let everyone know they are gay. Do straight people walk around saying they are straight all the time? If they did then the gays would be in an uproar because they would take it as an offense.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 10, 2003 08:06     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that is the crux of the problem, the apparent need for certain sections of the gay community to 'flaunt' it via gay parades or other means. In my opinion if you make an exception of yourself you become a target for others who are against your cause to aim for. It struck me that some of our bravest soldiers were in fact gay, but obviously because of the UK military's fixation with the question of homosexuals in the ranks they never made anything of it and their comrades were none the wiser. Now, I'm not advocating the MOD's line on this at all, but I think it shows that a more mature approach from the side of the individuals would go much further in communities at large than gaudy parades about their sexual preferences.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 10, 2003 20:03     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Knick, you may appreciate this article by one of your fellow Brits:

AfterGayMarriage

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 10, 2003 22:23     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
when you post a reply, it says "relax, we are taking you back to gay marriage". awesome, hehe.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 11, 2003 03:30     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But Mez - one could argue that a homosexual is biologically predisposed to their sexual orientation.

I find your statement illogical.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 11, 2003 07:09     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm...good one. But I was talking about procreation(and you will say, well, not all married couples have kids...and it goes on and on...lol)Main problem I have with gay marriage is that the government's endorsement of such an action serves to further deterioate an institution that is already crumbling.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 11, 2003 07:58     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So your saying that gay marriage is one of the key reasons for America's troubles right now?

To say marriage is an institution is a falicy based on 1950's ideals. More marriages fail now because people are no longer as prepared to stay within a loveless relationship for the sake of 'what the neighbours will say'. Surely this is a better state of affairs?

You could say that it doesn't help if children are involved, but as my parents divorced when I was 12 I can tell you that them living apart sure beats living in a house full of anger.

Come on Mez, if you plain don't like sodomists then just come straight out with it!

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted August 11, 2003 10:01     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez - what does two people of the same sex being together do to deteriorate society? I'm just looking for specifics: how EXACTLY does homosexuality deteriorate society? If your objection isn't based upon religious ideology, than what is it based on? If the act of a man kissing another man caused carcinomas to form on the brain of another person somewhere in another part of the world, then maybe I'd think you had something. If it's a question of 'morality' or 'ethics', some might argue that drug usage does more damage to society (via violence caused by illegal drug trade and trafficking). You don't have a problem with that, right? Or how about the fact that lots and lots of heterosexuals beat their kids and each other?

I can't even believe there is an argument about this. I can only hope that we'll be able to look back at this issue the same way we view the days of racial segregation. Bigotry is bigotry. And to claim that a black person "can't help" the fact that they are born black, and that's why it's a different issue, that's absurd. Why would anyone CHOOSE to be stigmatized and oppressed?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 11, 2003 14:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't like sodomists. They should be afforded every right in the book BUT I firmly believe that marriage should be reserved for a man and a woman. One reason is what EKH mentioned...adopting children which I think could be harmful for future generations. This would be the next step in the process I'm sure. My idea of marriage is man+woman=children= basis for healthy society(i.e. procreation). And I'm not talking about individual cases here, but the whole of the US population which is what one must think about when you endorse something by law.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 11, 2003 19:31     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First, although I am not gay, I would like to point out that gay sex isn't always about getting smoked in the bum hole. Anyway this discussion is not about sex, it's about a legal contract - marriage, and those of us who are married or have been married know that sex and marriage are not always synonymous anyway, haha.

I agree that the concept of family as 'one man, one woman and child(ren)' is outdated. Why shouldn't a lesbian couple get married and adopt or use invitro? Why shouldn't gay men adopt? What about children of divorce who's parents come out and want to remarry? Shouldn't they be afforded the right to be legally associated with their future step-parent? What gives someone else the right to say that that person should not be recoginzed in the eyes of the law as just as important as someone of the opposite sex would be in the life of that child?

If churches don't want to recognize gay unions that's their business, but a democratic government has a responsibility to put its citizens legal affairs in order in an equitable way. The bureaucratic hypocrisy of this issue dumbfounds me. As a Canadian I am thankful that Canada's Supreme Court declared that same-sex partners must be considered spouses in 1999, opening the door to allow the same persons to be married. This is about human dignity and there is nothing dignified about saying that one union is more worthy of recognition than another.

And as we are discussing what kind of marital unions should be recognized by the courts, one might also want to consider that one in 80 children in the US is born with Gender Dysphoria, some kind of physical sex or gender anomaly - making them sexually ambigious. So when 'boy' or 'girl' is entered on the Birth Certificate it's simply assigned. Not every person with an assigned identity assumes those sexual characteristics even if the law regards them as male or female.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 11, 2003 20:10     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gender Dysphoria? good thing im a eunuch...
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 11, 2003 22:19     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Noitall. I agree completely.
Thank you for your very inteligent response to this thread.
None could have said it better.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 12, 2003 03:27     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, I'm getting the feeling that you want to back out of our marriage. I'm about to leave my wife for our new life in Detroit so now would be a good time to let me know, ok?
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 12, 2003 06:24     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't even know why women wanna sleep with men, let alone why men would want to. They're all mad, and missing out!!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 12, 2003 13:03     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Sikorsky:
Mez, I'm getting the feeling that you want to back out of our marriage. I'm about to leave my wife for our new life in Detroit so now would be a good time to let me know, ok?

Who said anything about marriage??? I thought we would just be living together. If you want committment you're talking to the wrong man, sexy!!!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 12, 2003 15:24     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damnitt, EKH!
I'm still waiting for a sweatty bare-chested Man-hug from you!

Get your tight little buns over here & gimme one!

Uh...I AM only joking folks.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 13, 2003 04:45     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh man, a Yank sandwich and I'm the unwilling filling!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan