my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Technocratic Manipulators   » Gender Feminism and Sexual Archetypes (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Gender Feminism and Sexual Archetypes
Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 15:16     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The rise of radical feminism in the latter half of the 20th century represents one of the most significant developments at an ideological level to emerge in the post-WWII West. Traditional feminism, what sociologist Christina Hoff Sommers termed "equity" feminism, was and remains essentially an extension of Enlightment philosophy, rooted in traditional (18th and 19th century) liberalism. "Equity" feminism, as its name implies, focuses largely on issues of legal equality for women (i.e. suffrage, access to education, "equal pay for equal work" etc.). Most contemporary academic and activist feminism, however, eschews the liberal, Enlightenment roots of traditional "equity" feminism in favor of a more ideologically militant feminism rooted in Marxism and post-modern philosophy. Dubbed "gender" feminism by Dr. Sommers, radical feminism now represents the dominant strain at the upper echelons of feminist academia and activist organizations.

Gender feminism derives its fundamental tenets from its combination of Marxist and post-modern thought. From Marx, gender feminists have inherited a profoundly deterministic approach to historiography, though they eschew the wholly economic construct of Marxist historiography for a more generic one of "power relationships." At the center of this historiography lies the Myth of the Patriarchy, which, while given the respectable veneer of academic origin, amounts to little more than a tawdry conspiracy theory on par with tales of Grand Masonic Cabals and Zionist Plots (a related concept is the Myth of Primeval Matriarchy, an ahistorical fantasy constructed from incompetent interpretations of mythology, withful thinking and outright fabrication). From post-modern philosophy, gender feminists have derived two notions about the nature of truth that drive their ideological approach:

1. Relativism: the notion that all ideas are wholly subjective and therefore have "relatively" the same truth value.

2. The idea that all social institutions and values are artificially constructed to serve the needs of "power relationships."

The end result of the underlying assumptions of gender feminism are manifest. Rejecting any objective truth or natural basis for social institutions and values, they see these institutions and values as fair game for reconstruction along ideologically determined lines (thus the radical feminist mantra that "the personal is political"). This predilection is firmly wedded to a fanatical zeal born of righteous fury engendered by the perceived Vast Patriarchal Conspiracy.

Not surprisingly, one of the central focuses of gender feminist ideological assault has been what the gender feminists themselves refer to as "gender roles," and what I will hereafter call sexual archetypes*. Gender feminists see sexual archetypes, particularly the notion of the archetypal man as breadwinner/protector and the archetypal woman as caretaker/mother, as the chief enforcement arm of the Vast Patriarchal Conspiracy. Gender feminists view sexual archetypes as artificially created "social constructs" designed to keep women down by forcing "dependence" on men. This view ignores the salient realities of sexual archetypes.

1. The most foundational sexual archetypes have a natural, biological basis. The association of masculinity with the role of breadwinner/protecter and femininity with caretaker/mother transcends all cultural boundaries. The most basic sexual archetypes are universal to all documented human cultures. This argues powerfully for a non-cultural root for sexual archetypes (and explains why gender feminists are forced to resort to postulating the existence of a Primeval Matriarchy despite the massive evidence to the contrary). The biological basis of sexual archetypes is born out by clinical psychological and neurological studies, as well as the fact that a differentiation of sex-based roles is a common feature of most social animals.

2. "Dependence" is not the one way street that gender feminists would have you believe. Rather, it is a case of mutual INTERDEPENDENCE, with women depending on men for security and men depending on women for stability.

The great irony is that gender feminists don't seek to actually LESSEN the dependence of women, but merely to transfer it from a man to the government. In place of the security of a husband or father, they would have women entrust their security to the all knowing welfare state. This represents a tacit, if perverse, admission of the natural basis of sexual archetypes. The problem is that the government apparatus envisioned by gender feminists strongly resembles the total state of Stalinist/Maoist thought, complete with reeducation camps for those who don't get with the program. The gender feminsts' dream is everyone's nightmare.

-----------------------------------------------

*I prefer the term "sexual archetype" because "gender role" implies certain assumptions I find to be manifestly false. "Gender" implies social construction rather than biological origins, and "role" implies a watertight and absolutist framework, both concepts which I reject.

|  IP: Logged
Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 15:59     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm interested in intellectual discussion, not small talk, thus, no intro.

Beyond that, you learn far more about a person through the discussion of ideas than you can ever learn through self-conscious introductions.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 19, 2003 16:12     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm, interesting philosophy. How do you know you will never meet me? Are you in prison?
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 19, 2003 16:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Das Reich:
I simply have no use for hoops, nor do I feel obligated to "introduce" myself to people I will never meet.

Hmm, yet you wish to engage in discussion? That seems odd. Kind of like butting in to a conversation.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 19, 2003 16:19     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The thing about this forum Das Reich, is that most of us do know each other as people not as internet personas. We exchange ideas here but we also phone, meet, etc., so it's more than just a place to exchange philosophy in a cool, abstract fashion. There are other forums to do that in which is why I think that maybe this is the wrong place for you.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 19, 2003 16:22     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Perhaps Das Reich isn't ready to use this forum yet...
Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 16:22     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
The thing about this forum Das Reich, is that most of us do know each other as people not as internet personas. We exchange ideas here but we also phone, meet, etc., so it's more than just a place to exchange philosophy in a cool, abstract fashion. There are other forums to do that in which is why I think that maybe this is the wrong place for you.

Ah, so what I've actually run into here is the latent resentment of a clique at the "intrusion" of outsiders. I see.

Unfortunately, that's your problem, not mine.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 19, 2003 16:27     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Ah, so what I've actually run into here is the latent resentment of a clique at the "intrusion" of outsiders. I see.

Unfortunately, that's your problem, not mine.

1. Possibly

2. No, it's not a problem at all.

Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 16:27     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Learn about me through my posts, I'm not doing your work for you. It's not a terribly difficult concept.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 19, 2003 16:31     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If learning means reading reams of text on your position on various ideologies I'd rather not. A personal introduction is a simple concept too...
Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 16:31     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
oohh! A sense of mystery! How intriguing!

oohh! A complete asshole! How charming!

Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 16:33     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
If learning means reading reams of text on your position on various ideologies I'd rather not. A personal introduction is a simple concept too...

Certainly, but a waste of time when an introduction to my ideological viewpoint will suffice.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 19, 2003 16:34     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you are probably more interesting than your lectures are. Why are you hiding behind contrived text?
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted April 19, 2003 16:35     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oooh! Another fight! How exciting!
Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 16:37     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I think you are probably more interesting than your lectures are. Why are you hiding behind contrived text?

The internet, by its very nature, is contrived. To me, fully articulated ideological stances are far more revealing than:

Hi,

I'm Das Reich, I like extreme metal and long walks on the beach. No Jews need apply.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted April 19, 2003 16:39     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi,

I'm Das Reich, I like extreme metal and long walks on the beach. No Jews need apply.

What a coincidence! There's another guy here who loves jewish people as well. His name is Prozak.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 19, 2003 16:41     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well yeah, if you're going to be silly of course it will sound contrived. But cutting and pasting text is just as contrived.
Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 16:43     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shocking, really.
Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 16:45     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Well yeah, if you're going to be silly of course it will sound contrived. But cutting and pasting text is just as contrived.

The point is that it's ALL contrived, that's the nature of the medium. You might as well make it fully articulated and coherent, since it's going to be contrived regardless.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 19, 2003 16:55     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But what is not contrived is the uniqueness of each individual who posts here. So feel free to be you, not a regurgitator.
Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 16:58     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, so let me get this straight. When other people write incoherent, off the cuff comments, it's an expression of their "uniqueness," but when I post articulate opinion pieces (which I wrote, it might be added), it becomes "regurgitation?"

The stench of hypocrisy is overwhelming.

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 19, 2003 17:01     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why is regurgitation in speech marks? Surely you mean quote marks. Plus, it shouldn't even be in quote marks AT ALL, as no-one has said 'regurgitation'. Have said 'regurgitator' though.
Das Reich
VoivodFan
Member # 286

posted April 19, 2003 17:08     Profile for Das Reich   Email Das Reich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lycanthropy:
Why is regurgitation in speech marks? Surely you mean quote marks. Plus, it shouldn't even be in quote marks AT ALL, as no-one has said 'regurgitation'. Have said 'regurgitator' though.

Thanks for focusing on peripheral non-issues, asshat. Don't you have some Legos to play with or something?

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted April 19, 2003 17:10     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
If I meet you, I will meet an actual person. Not an avatar. Not an inherently contrived internet persona. A person. All of this makes 'Das Reich' or 'Noitall' essentially irrelevant to any actual meeting.

How would spock say it ?

YOUR LOGIC IS FLAWED !

imo: people write more interesting details about themselves and topics they want to explore, you could atleast state your intention behind your opening posts.

royvis
VoivodFan
Member # 102

posted April 19, 2003 17:17     Profile for royvis   Email royvis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey now, Lego!
Finally something really interesting to talk about.

I've found that exposure to Lego enhances a person's ability to imagine and construct concepts. Legos are like the building blocks of reality themselves. Build what you want. A robot, a flower, abstract sculptures.

They're fun to use with other people, or if you have no friends, alone.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan