my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Astronomy Domine   » Alarum

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alarum
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 02, 2005 19:43     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just received their latest album: EVENTUALITY . Get it from Willowtip.com for ten bucks flat. No shipping charge in the US.

I got to say WOW! There are moments on this album that are so astonishing its out of comprehension. I'm not talking about jaw-dropping chop technical DT bullcrap..i'm talking about passages in the songs that lead one above and beyond......transcending i believe is the correct word. Its definitely similar to Cynic in many ways but this is not a Florida JazzMetal tribute album. The singer I think many of you would like quite a bit. The guy has a strong voice(no high pitch-which i detest)no screaming although he does put a lot of throat into it at times but then also carries a hell of a melody when he wants. Plus he plays bass as well some of which makes you go how does the fucker DO IT AND SING TOO????

Mez highly recommends.....................!

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 10, 2005 17:09     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sir, let's put a little more effort into a review.......perhaps after a couple of more listens??? Track 6 is a mother!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 11, 2005 00:28     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Much better, much better.....these are the kind of words that make a great review. I found your second paragraph very enlightening.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 14, 2005 11:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hex:
ok some words behind those smileys...
listened to the whole thing. nothing seems to grab me in this music, besides, ahem, technical abilities of the players. well, they can play their instruments. but what do they play? nothing that could make me jump around in excitement.
i have an opinion that music is not a way to show off, but rather a means to express something - an emotion, a thought, a joke - something. i heard nothing behind all this. but that might be just me, so if you enjoy the stuff - i can only be happy for you.

Ahhh, yes, music as means of expression...I guess Alarum should pay more attention to a band like Dream Theatre then????

It seems like you need help in appreciating the true greatness of this GREAT BUNCH OF CYNIC WACKOFFS: Here's what I suggest. When the entire family is out of the house, sneak into your living room. Strip naked. Close all the shades so no light enters the room. Light some candles and incense. Drink an entire bottle of wine. Pour honey over your entire body. Do not worry about the mess on the floor. Put on the Alarum album turn up to medium volume so as to not scare the neighbors. Wrap yourself in saran wrap and lie down in the puddle of honey on your floor. Writhe in the honey to the rhythm of the pounding drums. Then you will start to gain newfound meaning of expression of this music. These four Aussies will speak to you telepathically...they will make you cry, they will make you joyful, you will have financial burdens magically lifted off of your shoulders...

HEX, ITS ALL IN THE MUSIC....GET YOUR HONEY AND SARAN WRAP AND LET THE EXPRESSION OF ALARUM LIFT YOU TO THE HEAVENS............

Wireneck
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 539

posted February 15, 2005 18:55     Profile for Wireneck   Email Wireneck     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool band. I like alot of their clean passages. I honestly didn't care for the vocals. That seemed to be the weakest link in my opinion. Reminds me alot of what Martyr was doing on their Warpzone album. Not my favorite band but by no means shitty.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 16, 2005 07:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is one of the funniest threads EVER!!!

I'm cracking up boyz.

I gotta agree with the comment on 'technical'music. YOu can be a tech genius on your instrument but have no feeling what so ever. It's hard to combine technical ability with style and feeling. Not everyone can be Fripp or Belew or Satch. Most of Petrucci's playing is just notes that don't really do anything for me, although he has also played stuff that blows my mind.

I have to be in the right mood for listening to something like Cynic, Canvas Solaris, etc... that's all instrumental and technically brilliant, but not much feeling.

just my opinion.... I'll pass on the plastic wrap & honey suggestion Mez, although it does seem like lots of fun... I think I's add some bees to to the mix to really get the event going, however

--------------------

yawn

Wireneck
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 539

posted February 16, 2005 10:05     Profile for Wireneck   Email Wireneck     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I have to be in the right mood for listening to something like Cynic, Canvas Solaris, etc... that's all instrumental and technically brilliant, but not much feeling.

I suppose its all about musical preference. Sure Canvas has some parts that are absurd and over the top (which is their intention) but for the most part I find that they give off tons of feeling. Listen to "when solar winds collide" or "Sublimation". Just my opinion but I definitely disagree.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 16, 2005 11:21     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Schroed, listen to about a 1:03 into Spheres in Design(my personal fav on Sublimation) and tell me that is not beautiful stuff. I think the awkardness or obtuse nature of this music serves to demonstrate the theme of the album.

SPACE.

A lot of challenging or avant garde music has to be listened to with a certain mindset. I always try to think about what context the composer is working from. Someone once said about the music of Charles Ives(probably America's greatest composer)that his music was like "standing next to train tracks just as a train passed and listening to it make its way off into the distance." Really an otherworldly emotion if you think about it. CS achieves similar moments on this album.(especially the last 30 seconds of Syzgial Epiphany)

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 16, 2005 17:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just put the disc in my box to take to work tomorrow, and will open my mind and ears and give the full blown unbiased listening.

I'll post my opinion Thursday night if I have time.

Maybe it just takes a few listens to absurb it all in since it's not based on catchy lines and hooky riffs.

It might end up being a heavy rotation cd in the future.... who knows.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 16, 2005 19:08     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dude, I've had it a month and just starting to appreciate it. It really takes that long. Do you like the new Spastic Ink? I find them much harder to comprehend than CS.

Dave, did you get my email?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted February 27, 2005 11:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hex, have you given the Alarum another listen? I've got it on now and it just keeps getting better and better with each listen.

Sir, listen to #5 and tell me thats not beautiful!! Just the perfect mix of metal and jazz riffs.....

Watching Belew in these KC dvds I've been buying...the guy is unbelievable! I love the way he plays...Its so quirky and distinct...nobody can touch his style..Didn't he start out with Zappa? Seems like I remember him from Baby Snakes...and that voice, on some of the slower KC tunes..truly a great artist.

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted March 18, 2005 04:41     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you Mez, I love that album. Vocals remind me on good ol' Chuck Schuldiner, music on a great second Cynic album.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan