my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Astronomy Domine   » Canvas Solaris

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canvas Solaris
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 31, 2004 16:51     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got their new album!! Amazing stuff if you like Cynic, Death, and Atheist. All instrumental. Check them out at Tribunal Records.
 |  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 01, 2004 17:02     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CS...another great band from North Carolina. I have to wonder what is in the water up there north of us....so many incredible bands come from that state.

Believe me, they are a lot to digest in one sitting. I'm still in absorb mode right now.

Hex, I'd highly recommend this one to you sir.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 02, 2004 09:53     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great stuff Mez! I can totally hear the Cynic in the playing/arrangements and the guitar sound is very reminiscent of Death. Fucking wicked players.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted November 04, 2004 00:18     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, I just stumbled upon this thread and checked out the samples on their page... great stuff man! Thanks for the tip Mez! The discs are very reasonbly priced from their label too! Hmm...

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 07, 2004 10:55     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is how they describe the first band they were in:

"Canvas Solaris first appeared in the fall of 1999, under the name Pikkmon’s Model. The Trio, then comprised of the Jimmy McCall (bass guitars), as well as current members Nathan Sapp (guitars, vocals) and Hunter Ginn (drums), the music produced by this early incarnation bears little resemblance to Canvas Solaris circa 2004. The trio’s early sound can best be described as an amalgam of Necroticism-era Carcass, Voivod, Godflesh-like noisemongering, third eye-stimulating psychedelia, and the hyperactive riffing of Brutal Truth’s Need to Control opus. After playing a number of local and out of town shows, the group finally committed their songwriting efforts to tape in late March 2000. The session, recorded at Phoenix Sound Studios in Macon, Ga., yielded the songs “ChaosGraft,” “Echo Dimension,” “A Wind of Flame,” and the progressive standout, “Spaces Between Dreams.” This track, with its dizzying meters, jarring dynamics, and sonic quirks, foreshadowed the unique sound that Canvas Solaris would explore over the next 1 ½ years."

Cthon, I thought you knew the cool people around town. I don't think so sir! The funniest part is that they recorded in a studio down in Macon GA. Hahahaha...I can only imagine the looks of shock and disbelief on the faces of the studio people......when they cranked up.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted November 09, 2004 19:58     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
great stuff, I'd love to hear Pikkmon's Model too (the description is appealing!)
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 09, 2004 20:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK Mezman, I'm downloading the 3 songs from the site now and I'll comment on the whenever I get a chance to listen to them.

Sometimes I avoid bands that sound like groups like Cynic because the all become clones (like the whole Dream Theater thing spawned). After hearing a couple bands playing technically super fast metal licks, it gets a bit redundant, but hopefully these guys will sound original.

thanks for the link

happy now

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 10, 2004 07:58     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got to admit I was happily surprised by the songs I downloaded. I though they were gonna be all tech, and math, but they have some depth and feeling to their songs, which is sometime tough when playing this kind of music.

On the future purchase list!!!

Thanks Mez.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 10, 2004 10:02     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I've got to admit I was happily surprised by the songs I downloaded. I though they were gonna be all tech, and math, but they have some depth and feeling to their songs, which is sometime tough when playing this kind of music.

On the future purchase list!!!

Thanks Mez.

See Schroed, you got to trust your Mezster! I've listened to this album three times already and I'm still finding new things I like about it. The last song is simply awe-inspiring. I bought the album based on an article in Metal Maniacs cause I liked the attitudes of the members,very laid back, humorous, and unpretentious. Plus the fact that they were from NC.

Wireneck
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 539

posted February 14, 2005 13:48     Profile for Wireneck   Email Wireneck     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey guys I just wanted to clear up a few things about Canvas Solaris. The band is actually from/based out of a small town in Georgia called Statesboro. Hunter (drums) lives in NC right now while attending Wake Forest Univ. but rehersals/writing etc... all takes place in Statesboro.
The old material (there are 3 demos pre-Spatial Design) is alot more agressive, alot faster, and more along the lines of tech/death than progressive. If you can get your hands on one it is definitely worth the listen. I have access to them but would not post without the bands permission.
And finally, they just finished up the 3rd album this month. Its going to kick some major ass.

Wireneck
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 539

posted February 15, 2005 18:49     Profile for Wireneck   Email Wireneck     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No joke on the Statesboro thing. Were all from the same town. It really isn't that bad if you like small town life. It obviously gave Canvas plenty of time to develop their metal skills, as you can see it has some advantages.

quote:
And they're not with Tribunal anymore??

At this time I don't think they plan to release the new album through Tribunal. They paid for the recording/mastering themselves and are currently shopping it to some other labels. So its still up in the air. I don't think there are any bad feelings between them in Tribunal so it could very well be released through them if nothing else comes through.

I've got the new one on its way to me in the mail. I'll let you know how it is. I'll try and remember to ask Hunter about posting some of the old demos.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan