my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Warriors Of Ice   » Nothingface strange Noise Version: HELP!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nothingface strange Noise Version: HELP!!
Vittorio
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1257

posted December 04, 2010 18:12     Profile for Vittorio   Email Vittorio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi there Voivod fans! Can you please help me?? I've just bought on ebay this NOISE edition (1989) of Nothingface, I am doubtful about the booklet: it should be a stapled booklet instead of a fold out poster booklet (and no band picture, but a total blank side), the seller says it's 100% original. Is he trying to ripping me off???

See the image following below link:

Nothingface strange edition

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

|  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 06, 2010 16:15     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't have my copy in front of me at the moment, but at first look this appears to be one of the lesser quality reissues, though still authentic.

First sign of this is that the original CD pressing is printed with the Nothingface "song" artwork, no silver showing on te face of the disc.

If memory serves, the artwork is indeed a fold-out poster (not a book) but instead of the back being blank, it features a band photo poster. Paper quality is pretty thick too.

In summary, looks like a cheap Noise reissue, not the original MCA pressing (unless Noise carried this for selet markets?)...
Actually, here is a link to an original CD on eBay in which you can see what the disc should look like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Voivod-Nothingface-CD-MCA-MECHANIC -1989-1st-press-OOP-/320626160136?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item4aa6cef208

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Vittorio
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1257

posted December 06, 2010 18:13     Profile for Vittorio   Email Vittorio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a matter of fact, I do own the MCA edition as well, that is exactly how you describe. My doubt comes from the fact that metal-archives.com describes the Noise edition booklet as a stapled standard one. Not like mine, that seems to be something in between. A fold-out poster booklet without band picture on one side is mentioned nowhere...

Here's the link at Metal Archives:

Metal Archives Voivod

Another weird thing: on my booklet, the font is not red but black (this should eliminate any chance of a photocopy) but, strangely, songs lyrics are grouped in SIDE 1 and SIDE 2 like a cassette or a vinyl!

Thanks anyway forr your help!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 12, 2010 09:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's possible you have a reissue that wasn't heavily pressed and not too many exist. I seriously doubt someone would go to all the trouble to bootleg this album since it's so readily available and not hard to find. I'd say you have something that's fairly rare compared to to all the other versions of the album.

--------------------

yawn

Vittorio
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1257

posted December 12, 2010 18:44     Profile for Vittorio   Email Vittorio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I agree.

I'm now pretty much convinced that it's not a bootleg at all. The (poor) fold-out booklet can't be a mere photocopy, because the font is black while the MCA edition is red. Moreover, my strange Noise Edition in the booklet itself has a strange separation between SIDE 1 and SIDE 2....It has to be a strange reissue...

Thanks for your help indeed!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 04, 2011 06:17     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
as far as I'm concerned, I don't see this as a reissue at all...

this looks exactly like the one I have at home and which a bought in early December of 1989...
when it actually came out here in France.

you can be 100% reassured that its an original!

it was very common to get those kind of "schoolboy's editions" from NOISE in the late 80s, like the LPs we would find in France were put in a mere white thin paper inner sleeve with no lyrics nor pic at all... sometimes with a small cardboard ad for merchandising...
My Hatröss LP is one of those, my KREATOR's Terrible Certainty too...

at that point, NOISE had a local distributor here (MUSIDISC) and the records would unfortunately come with a cheaper packaging...

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

Vittorio
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1257

posted January 04, 2011 16:10     Profile for Vittorio   Email Vittorio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot for sharing your point of view! Back in late 80s Noise Records was a great label (Voivod, Kreator, Coroner, Sabbat, etc). It's a pity many of these were dropped down and lost a lot of money. People like Tom Vetterli and Martin Walkyier still regret this collaboration!

Anyway, I'll take care of this "poor" edition just like the MCA one!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan