my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Thrashing Rage   » Jeff Becerra (Possessed) alive and well

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jeff Becerra (Possessed) alive and well
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 26, 2006 13:04     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

These pics of Jeff were taken with "Sadistic Intent" back in 2004, while performing vocals for their cover of "The Exorcist" from Possessed.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

|  IP: Logged
Spaceman Spiff
VoivodFan
Member # 440

posted April 27, 2006 03:49     Profile for Spaceman Spiff   Email Spaceman Spiff     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome! I heard about this when it happened but I've never seen the pictures. It's cool to see him get (and appreciate) some recognition. Now if we can only get the other guys away from those high paying gigs. It's a mission from god (or that other guy)! Cue the Blues Mobile!! Okay, the Death Mobile.

° Half of a pack of cigarrettes - check
° Full tank of gas - check
° 106 miles from Chicago - check

Let's Go!! Possessed reunion here we come! (OK, probably not but I can dream)

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 08, 2007 12:20     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Really quite strange as I was having a moan last week about how Possessed will probably be the one band that will never reform.. (well apart from Coroner ).. couple of days later I heard about this.

--------------------

String em up

Diamanda
VoivodFan
Member # 604

posted February 09, 2007 05:03     Profile for Diamanda   Email Diamanda     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
POSSESSED To Headline 'The Unholy Trinity' European Tour - Feb. 6, 2007
Reactivated San Francisco Bay Area metal legends POSSESSED — consisting of original frontman Jeff Becerra backed by members of California's SADISTIC INTENT — will reportedly embark on "The Unholy Trinity" European tour in July/August 2007. Support at the shows will come from SADISTIC INTENT, MORTEM (Peruvian death metal), and PENTACLE (Dutch death metal).

A limited-edition POSSESSED seven-inch single on multi-colored vinyl was released last year on Boneless Records in association with B.A.D.M./N.Y.D.M. Entitled "Ashes from Hell", the first 100 copies of the single came with a collector's pick.

Formed in the early '80s, POSSESSED released "Seven Churches" via Combat Records in 1985. They would follow with "Beyond the Gates" and the five-song EP "The Eyes of Horror" before disbanding several years later. A best of was released, "Victims of Death", in 1993.

--------------------

It's too late
Korgull rules the earth!!!

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 09, 2007 05:19     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From BBM just now -

Long-running California-based extreme metallers SADISTIC INTENT have commented on the reports that they will be touring Europe in July/August with a revamped version of San Francisco Bay Area metal legends POSSESSED — consisting of original frontman Jeff Becerra backed by members of SADISTIC INTENT. The following statement from SADISTIC INTENT was sent to BLABBERMOUTH.NET earlier today:

"Apparently some one decided to make a flyer of the possible tour with POSSESSED (featuring original frontman Jeff Becerra backed by SADISTIC INTENT), SADISTIC INTENT, MORTEM and PENTACLE. Although the tour is currently in a preliminary phase, we have not confirmed. After the word got out, we have received much e-mail from people in different countries with very positive feedback and we are grateful. However, we are not responsible for the premature tour announcement and if things don’t go as planned, it is possible we will not be able to do this tour. As soon as we find out more information, we will make an official announcement. Nevertheless, thanks to all of you who have shown your support, it certainly is appreciated."

--------------------

String em up

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 09, 2007 06:11     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, but it would be good to hear the songs performed live anyway.

--------------------

String em up

Diamanda
VoivodFan
Member # 604

posted February 10, 2007 04:34     Profile for Diamanda   Email Diamanda     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that's right, but not under the mighty name Possessed, that's nothing else as a Possessed Cover Band
only one original Member is not enough for a Reunion, thats my opinion.....

How are you thinking about that?

--------------------

It's too late

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted February 10, 2007 20:53     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seems kind of dodgy calling it Possessed with only one member. I like Jeff Beccera, but c'mon, at least bring back Torrao and Sus (fat chance at getting Larry LaLonde).

Saw the original formation of this band back in 1985 and they crushed!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Diamanda
VoivodFan
Member # 604

posted February 12, 2007 04:15     Profile for Diamanda   Email Diamanda     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah i know, i saw them also in 1986 AND this was also my first Voivod Gig!
Possessed and Voivod... could it be better?

--------------------

It's too late

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 12, 2007 16:41     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You old, old bastards.

--------------------

String em up

Diamanda
VoivodFan
Member # 604

posted February 13, 2007 05:34     Profile for Diamanda   Email Diamanda     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hehehehe

--------------------

It's too late

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted February 13, 2007 15:22     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Old.

--------------------

String em up

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted February 27, 2007 20:12     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone know what the purported Possessed lineup would be? We always used to rag on Mike Sus in the 80's, and say that they left the "ck" out of his name on the cover by accident, ha! Killer album.

I do recall Torreo doing some post-breakup resurrections, but never got to hear any of them (there was at least one demo done).

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

tomsawyer
VoivodFan
Member # 306

posted March 29, 2007 20:05     Profile for tomsawyer   Email tomsawyer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I happened to see Possessed with Dark Angel at CBGB's in a rare metal show at that venue.

Great show...

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 03, 2007 00:23     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:
I do recall Torreo doing some post-breakup resurrections, but never got to hear any of them (there was at least one demo done).

Yeah, I have that demo lying around here somewhere, nothing to write home about though...I also understand the "beef" concerning only 1/4 of the band calling it a full-on reunion, but my take is that this time the singer really does matter! It would be worse to have another singer in place of Jeff...he has such an original voice! Of course, going back to the beginning of my post...having the guitarist as vocalist for a Possessed demo is also just plain wrong.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

JEFF BECERRA
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 1014

posted January 07, 2008 01:32     Profile for JEFF BECERRA   Email JEFF BECERRA     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HEY GUYS THIS IS JEFF. I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT IF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AT ALL POSSIBLE TO HAVE THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF POSSESSED THEN WE NEVER WOULD HAVE BROKEN UP IN THE FIRST PLACE. LARRY QUIT AND SAID THAT HE WANTED TO GO ON TO OTHER KINDS OF MUSIC,AND MIKE SUS/TORREO DON'T EVEN PLAY ANY LONGER. YOUR RIGHT THOUGH IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT. I FEEL THAT I DESERVE TO CONTINUE ON WITH THE POSSESSED NAME SINCE I HAVE DEDICATED MY LIFE, MIND, BODY AND SPIRIT TO IT. PLUS IT'S FUN FOR PEOPLE TO COME OUT AND SEE POSSESSED. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH THIS NEW BAND IS MUCH MUCH EASIER TO WORK WITH AND BETTER MUSICIANS,,,ALTHOUGH THE SONGS MIGHT SOUND A BIT DIFFERENT. LASTLY I JUST WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR KEEPING POSSESSED IN MIND AND ALIVE WITH THESE VERY INSIGHTFUL CONVERSATIONS....

YOUR BROTHER IN FIRE, HELL AND DEATH FOREVER!

--------------------

JEFF BECERRA

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 07, 2008 17:10     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jeff! You rule!

--------------------

String em up

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 08, 2008 17:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for stopping by Jeff and giving us the straight dope on whats up. Possessed is certainly a band that influenced many many many bands back in the day and it's great to see you keeping the name and spirit of the band alive. Thrash On

I always thought it so odd, yet cool, when I think of what Larry LaLonde and Les Claypool were playing before doing PRIMUS, which really broke down barriers and opened ears and minds.

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 08, 2008 20:49     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love Possessed.

Seven Churches was in the first batch of tapes that i had when i first got into metal. Scared the living shit outta me, so of course I loved it immediatly! It's just one those albums that I still value now as much as i did back then. It took me years before I finally got ahold of Beyond The Gates (for some reason it was crazy tough to find) but goddamn it was great when i did.

Thanks, Jeff.

And I think it's pretty fucking cool that you're out there bringing those classics back on stage again. Wacken looked like a fucking blast!

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted January 08, 2008 21:36     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool Jeff, it's been a while, nice to see that you still making music, can't wait to hear your music again. I can only hope that you will come to Montreal, it would be such a blast to see you. Take care my old friend. And keep posting here.
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted February 09, 2008 18:11     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that is super cool!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

kwolf68
VoivodFan
Member # 1336

posted August 07, 2011 17:17     Profile for kwolf68   Email kwolf68     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am over 40 years old and I have idolized so many thrash bands. And for the most part I think all my favorite bands have given us a tremendous amount of great music to rock out too, but...

in the annals of thrash metal history there are TWO WORDS describing what I think of Possessed:

WHAT! IF!

I don't think it can be over-stated how great this band really was.

They essentially created 2 and a half albums of material. Roughly two dozen songs. They came onto the scene in the early/mid 80s and by the time thrash started to go 'big time', Possessed was finished.

All that and they are still regarded as the god fathers of an entire genre. They influenced zillions of bands and musicians. Their impact on the landscape of thrash and death metal is WITHOUT argument. In my view, they are one of the Big 5, with the Big 4. That is how important this band was.

Not only was this band 'extreme', heavy, fast, intense, but they were superb musicians and were only going to get better.

While I wasn't a huge fan of the production of the last two Possessed records you could tell these guys were developing something special. They may not have taken Slayer's crowd, but they'd have borrowed a few of em. Just think had these guys stayed together for just another 4 or 5 years, maybe 2 or 3 more albums? If the motivation had been there, I am talking legendary potential.

I am honored to have seen this mighty band back in around 1987 in Baltimore, Maryland. At the time I didn't really understand what this band meant to the world of metal and thrash...I didn't understand it until they were gone...years clicking off where inferior bands were now selling boatloads of records while Possessed had been permanently grounded long before their awesome, amazing potential was fully realized.

We can weep for lost glory, but also thank the guys for given us what they gave. Godfathers! Kings! Pioneers! There is no way this band can be described fully without draining oneself of a list of superlatives.

Possessed are one of the greatest heavy metal bands to ever grace the earth...they achieved this accolade with limited sample size, further evidence of their greatness.

This is absolutely NO SLIGHT on what Jeff is doing now. What he said above is spot on and deserves respect, I just wanted to offer my .02 to make sure people know the truth about this metal INSTITUTION.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan