my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Thrashing Rage   » New Exodus cd, release 4 oct.!!! Awesome!!!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Exodus cd, release 4 oct.!!! Awesome!!!!!
Neverstream
VoivodFan
Member # 593

posted August 23, 2005 09:06     Profile for Neverstream   Email Neverstream     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yo dudes check out www.exodusattack.com for more info, im too stunned to tell you more about it

PS: i like Exodus

|  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 26, 2005 12:34     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gary Holt has pulled off a miracle IMO. Considering all the long-running members that left the band between Tempo and this album, this record is pretty damn good!

The new singer sounds very much like Zetro's more aggressive singing on Tempo, w/out the whiny/nasally style. I can't think of a better sounding singer for Exodus actually, now that Baloff is no longer with us... Bostaph sounds great too (and I LOVE Tom Hunting), so that's saying a lot.

The biggest hole in this record is no H-Team, but Gary Holt does a fine fucking job with nice leads and riffs that are in classic Exodus style, without sounding rehashed at all. I also think that the songwriting is much more consistant than Tempo... Where Tempo has a few brilliant tracks buffered by a few more below-average ones, Shovel Headed Kill Machine seems more solid and varied in structire than it's predacessor. I will buy this record!

If Gary Holt can keep this new Exodus lineup together (Lee Altus included), I think Exodus are up for a full-on second go 'round and I'll definitly be onboard for the ride.

Standout track for me: "Deathamphetamine" 8½ minutes of total chaos-bringing Exodus (see if you can spot the Voivod-riff in the middle, haha). Everybody is a Piggy-fan!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 28, 2005 19:50     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FUCK YEAH!!!!

I loved Tempo, and I will be getting this as soon as it hits the streets.

Thanks for the reveiw X-D.

So what happened to the rest of original members?

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 06, 2005 10:01     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought Tempo was awful.

Shovel Head sounds much more 'together'. I was at first put off by the singer who sounded WAY too familiar(ZETRO) but by track 4..he seems to be able to stretch the snarl much wider than the former singer. Made me wonder if Holt was in the studio coaxing this new guy Dukes...."okay, could we try that track again, now Rob, a little bit more Zetro for me." Really only the first track is the only bad one on the disc...why they put that as number one makes no sense to me but whatever.

Favorite Song: 44 MAGNUM

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 06, 2005 22:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
COME ON OCTOBER 4th I'M DYING TO HEAR THIS

--------------------

yawn

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted September 07, 2005 03:00     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes I'm agree, the actual line-up with Lee Altus and Paul Bostaph is fucking killer and the promo I've listened is great.
Do you know what happened to Tom??
I've read that he's ill and that's for that reason he left the band.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted September 07, 2005 05:41     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Gary Holt has pulled off a miracle IMO. Considering all the long-running members that left the band between Tempo and this album, this record is pretty damn good!

The new singer sounds very much like Zetro's more aggressive singing on Tempo, w/out the whiny/nasally style. I can't think of a better sounding singer for Exodus actually, now that Baloff is no longer with us...

Couldn't say it better! I like Rob's vocals very much, the guy has what it takes to be the Exodus singer!

quote:
The biggest hole in this record is no H-Team, but Gary Holt does a fine fucking job with nice leads and riffs that are in classic Exodus style, without sounding rehashed at all. I also think that the songwriting is much more consistant than Tempo... Where Tempo has a few brilliant tracks buffered by a few more below-average ones, Shovel Headed Kill Machine seems more solid and varied in structire than it's predacessor. I will buy this record!

Again, my thoughts exactly.
It's much more consistant, no fillers on this one. But I have the feeling that having Gary playing all guitars prevents this album from being their greatest ever (well, that's a useless speculation I know)
I respect Rick's decision but I miss him terribly on this album.

quote:
If Gary Holt can keep this new Exodus lineup together (Lee Altus included),

... the next album might be just perfect (with Lee being involved in the songwriting)

Paul's drums are pretty good but I don't like the sound very much.
The guy seems to have a terrible reputation of sloppy live performances though... I'll be able to make my own opinion at their gig on Dec. 4th (with Hypocrisy!)

Fav. tune? all of them except maybe Raze (c'mon Mez, it's not THAT bad!) and Altered Boy (now playing, oh no actually this one's great too); Deathamphetamine is a fuckin' monster.
Seriously: ALL of them.
Classic Exo riffing all over the place.
Oh and it's full of amazing solos as well!

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted September 16, 2005 03:34     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:

So what happened to the rest of original members?

Here's what I've read in an interview with Gary:

- Steve "Zetro" has been fired last year after having left the band during their last tour in South America. Rob, the new singer, was one of the band's guitar technicians;
- Rich (Hunolt)left for his problems with drugs;
- It seems Tom (Hunting) being seriously ill.

The whole interview here:

http://www.vampire-magazine.com/interviews/exodus/39060_exodus_you_cant_get_rid_of_us_this_band_has_no_quit_in_m.html

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 16, 2005 17:38     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your are mostly correct Marco, except that Rick Hunolt did not leave because of drugs, but to spend more time with his family (he has two young sons). Check out the story HERE.

I gotta say, I really miss Rick Hunolt and Tom Hunting being in Exodus (with Holt, those three were the core members IMO), but Zetro has been replaced with a potentially better singer (if he can perform as live as good as he does on this album). Kudos to Gary Holt for keeping the faith! After a few more weeks of spinning this, I stand by my review.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 16, 2005 20:38     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm gonna have to agree with XD here. The more I listen, the more I love this album. There are some fantastic songs on here. I'll definitely be buying it.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 18, 2005 18:32     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FUCK!!!!

I'm going nuts waiting for this one, with all the cool shit you guys are saying about it.

--------------------

yawn

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted September 19, 2005 11:31     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're right X-D, in fact reading more carefully the interview, I've noticed the same thing (Rick has two sons)was said by Gary too...

Totally agree also on Rob being better than Zetro. He sounds to me like a great mix between Baul Baloff and Phil Anselmo voices.

Schroeder: you MUST listen to it!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 19, 2005 19:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YOU CAN DAMN WELL BET i'LL BE AT A RECORD STORE THE DAY THIS FUCKER COMES OUT. NO WAITING FOR IT TO COME THROUGH THE MAIL... I NEED IT ON THE DAY IT GETS RELEASED

\m/ \m/

--------------------

yawn

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted October 17, 2005 07:32     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard "44 Magnum" the other day...another great disc to add to my "must buy"-list!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 17, 2005 07:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YOU MIGHT WANT TO ADD THAT TO YOUR "MUST BUY NOW AND NOT LATER LIST"

Killer brutal album, be carefull when playing this one in your car at high volumes, you might find you foot going heavy on the gas pedal... this fucker rages.

I'm digging the new singer. He still has that Exodus edge, but doesn't sound as comical.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan