my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Chaosmongers   » death sentence

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: death sentence
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 28, 2002 17:09     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
just for you nuclear vampire...

1. Live to Die
2. Fake
3. In Flames
4. Feel Fucked
5. Dawn of the Dead
6. Death Squad
7. Nightmare
8. RCMP

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~cch223/noamerica/deathsentence_main.html

quote:
Death Sentence were on the forefront of Vancouver punk's second wave during the mid eighties. Their sound, which crossed British punk and Metal with DOA-style hardcore, made them a popular live act not only in the Pacific Northwest, but across Canada. The band's two albums, Not A Pretty Sight and Stop Killing Me have sold an impressive 60,000 copies, even though they've never been re-issued on CD. To this day, they are still trying to retain the rights to their back catalog from the now bankrupt Fringe records. Death Sentence disbanded in 1991 but reformed last year with a new singer to replace Pete Cleaver, who died of a drug overdose in the mid-nineties.

Yep, they were a bunch o' junkies but they put on a good show. With songs like RCMP -fucking piiiiiigs - now that's punk rawk.

|  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 29, 2002 01:13     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome! Thanks Noitall, that brought back loads of memories. 60,000 copies? Wow, that's impressive. My copy of Not A Pretty Sight got stepped on at a party.
I managed to download half of it off Winmx, some guy ripped the vinyl to mp3. Never did see them live.
Speaking of punk rock junkies, there was a documentary on CBC Newsworld 2 nights ago about Buchofuckingoofs that I caught the last 10 minutes of. Looked pretty interesting.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 29, 2002 16:30     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Yeah, I saw that doco too, it was called Punk X. I'm sure it'll probably repeat (like everything on the CBC).
http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/newsworld/viewer.cgi?FILE=RC20020423.html&TEMPLATE=roughcuts.ssi&SC=RC

quote:
How are hard-core punk rockers of the early 1980's faring in the new millennium? Punk X, revisits three punk rockers who were at the core of Not Yet Dead, a visceral 1983 documentary that chronicled a year in the life of the Toronto punk scene.

Twenty years later, Steve, Bambi and Mike refuse to let go of their deep-rooted suspicions of society. In the past 10 years, Mike went from homeless to homeowner and continues to struggle with middle-class life. Bambi battles personal demons living in a Wasaga Beach motel room. Steve is the quintessential punk, still believing in the punk ideology and still performing in the seminal Toronto band Bunchofuckingoofs. Each of them has taken a different path, but all remain part of this much-maligned subculture.

Punk X reveals that living the punk lifestyle is not without contradiction. Steve, Bambi and Mike still call themselves punks, and each continues to challenge the system and question authority. Despite addiction, poverty and prejudice, they've survived - but not without bearing the scars of living by the punk ethos.

"In the eighties, Punk was viewed as a passing fad because it's easier to dismiss a subculture than understand it," says filmmaker Edward Mowbray. "Punk X isn't nostalgic or sentimental. Punks continue to survive because Martha Stewart and Starbucks thrive. Punks are the antithesis of hippies. Thank God something is left to subvert the hearts and minds of youth."

ericTHEpinch
VoivodFan
Member # 54

posted June 05, 2002 02:29     Profile for ericTHEpinch   Email ericTHEpinch     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i love that album, the other one was not as good(the song of the video was ok)

i would love to release this on cd on my label http://www.galyrecords.com

i release some old DBC stuff and i want to release some more old canadian metal/core classics

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 05, 2002 21:39     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:

Yeah, I saw that doco too, it was called Punk X. I'm sure it'll probably repeat (like everything on the CBC).
http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/newsworld/viewer.cgi?FILE=RC20020423.html&TEMPLATE=roughcuts .ssi&SC=RC

[QUOTE]How are hard-core punk rockers of the early 1980's faring in the new millennium? Punk X, revisits three punk rockers who were at the core of Not Yet Dead, a visceral 1983 documentary that chronicled a year in the life of the Toronto punk scene.

Twenty years later, Steve, Bambi and Mike refuse to let go of their deep-rooted suspicions of society. In the past 10 years, Mike went from homeless to homeowner and continues to struggle with middle-class life. Bambi battles personal demons living in a Wasaga Beach motel room. Steve is the quintessential punk, still believing in the punk ideology and still performing in the seminal Toronto band Bunchofuckingoofs. Each of them has taken a different path, but all remain part of this much-maligned subculture.

Punk X reveals that living the punk lifestyle is not without contradiction. Steve, Bambi and Mike still call themselves punks, and each continues to challenge the system and question authority. Despite addiction, poverty and prejudice, they've survived - but not without bearing the scars of living by the punk ethos.

"In the eighties, Punk was viewed as a passing fad because it's easier to dismiss a subculture than understand it," says filmmaker Edward Mowbray. "Punk X isn't nostalgic or sentimental. Punks continue to survive because Martha Stewart and Starbucks thrive. Punks are the antithesis of hippies. Thank God something is left to subvert the hearts and minds of youth."

[/QUOTE]

Finally we have a pic of Noitall. I thought your hair was black though and shaved on one side?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 06, 2002 00:09     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh...you thought I meant the hair on my head. God, I've been hanging out in this forum for too long, even my own jokes are creeping me out!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 07, 2002 09:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See what happens when you hang out with Kula. Enter dementia!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan