my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Too Scared To Scream   » New Cryptopsy Album - "Once Was Not"

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Cryptopsy Album - "Once Was Not"
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted September 09, 2005 15:28     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Press release doohickey:

quote:
A full-length MP3 of a brand-new CRYPTOPSY track, entitled "The Pestilence That Walketh in the Darkness (Psalm 91: 5-8 )", has been posted online at CenturyMedia.com. The song comes off the Canadian death metallers' fifth album, "Once Was Not", due on October 18 via Century Media Records.

The new CD, featuring the long-anticipated return of vocalist Lord Worm, was recorded at Studio Vortex in St-Constant, Canada by producer Sebastien Marsan, and again infuses extreme music with awe-inspiring precision, rabidly dynamic rhythms, and mouth-foaming viciousness. The album was mastered by UE Nastasi at Sterling Sound in New York City and features artwork by François Quévillon, Filip Ivanovic and Martin Lacroix. With eleven tracks totaling about 50 minutes, "this is a concept album where every song has its own identity. We made sure to have a lot of flavors and different rhythms and tempos throughout the whole process, the variations in the tracks may surprise some of you," the band write on their web site.

"Once Was Not" (view cover here) track listing:

01. Luminum
02. In The Kingdom Where Everything Dies, The Sky Is Mortal
03. Carrionshine
04. Adeste Infidelis
05. The Curse Of The Great
06. The Frantic Pace Of Dying
07. Keeping The Cadaver Dogs Busy
08. Angelskingarden
09. The Pestilence That Walketh In Darkness (Psalm 91: 5-8 )
10. The End
11. Endless Cemetery

CRYPTOPSY will be steamrolling across North America with SUFFOCATION and ABORTED from late September to November.

---

Do check out that new track. The opening riffing is a bit different, almost laid back, but then it segues into the fast, furious riffs 'n hammerblasts style which made None So Vile and Blasphemy Made Flesh such great albums. I think that track is the single, but the riffs are ace, there's lots of variety, Flo's drumming like a maniac and Lord Worm's on fine form. Looks to be a good 'un, hopefully.

I think it's heartening to see that they've also abandoned a lot of the guff that was on the last couple of albums. None So Vile was great because not only did it have 50 riffs every minute, but every last one of those riffs was a classic. The more recent albums have been a bit stale on that front, so this track is heartening. See what you guys think.

I have, however, been reliably informed that this track is not really representative of the album as a whole. So even if you do not like it, bear with them!

|  IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 10, 2005 13:10     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
woohoo...I love Cryptopsy...they'll be here on 6/october!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 11, 2005 11:37     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been listening to this track over and over since you posted it. I think its a great modern sound for them....thanks for this Lync. I'll be buying this chaos as soon as it comes out.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted September 12, 2005 15:46     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Exactly what I thought. The last two albums were good, don't get me wrong, but the singer was a boring hardcore shouter, and they just lost that "oomph" in the quest for technicality. According to my source, the album as a whole is definitely a return to old ways, and even better than that track might suggest.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 13, 2005 10:46     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I came accross the entire album (mp3) the other day... and well, it's pretty fucking amazing!

I fully agree with you about DiSalvo's vox Lyc as Lord Worm is definitly THE singer for Cryptopsy. Not to mention Flo Mounier pretty much has no equal in this realm of metal... he blasts, yet swings in his playing like no one else and the result is just nuts (as you all already know).

The level of chaos-management that this band maintains is jaw-dropping.

Recent tragedies aside, 2005 is looking like a good year for some quality metal releases.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 13, 2005 15:01     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
I came accross the entire album (mp3) the other day... and well, it's pretty fucking amazing!

Show off.

--------------------

Draco Zeitgeist
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 601

posted September 14, 2005 20:26     Profile for Draco Zeitgeist   Email Draco Zeitgeist     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hopefully the songs sound a little better than that when they come out on disc. I liked the middle of the song.

I'm not sure what to think about Lord Wyrm's vocals until I hear the new album in toto, but I hope the rest of it is more driven towards completing triple amputees based solely upon need.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 14, 2005 23:25     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i like lord worm. i have not heard the new record. but lord worm knows his fish and chips and really, what's more important than that? heehee...
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 15, 2005 10:16     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He knows his worms too, apparently. Though I missed the Back to the Worm tour, which sucks major ass...I heard he had a nice chalice full of worms to "give" to his adoring audience.

--------------------

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted September 15, 2005 17:18     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hum, what can I say? fan-fuckin-tastic album!!
full of unexpected things...
The drums are totally insane AND groovy..
I don't know about the vocals, there's some good and bad things here; Never cared much about the vocals in Cryptopsy anyway...

quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
(...) Flo Mounier pretty much has no equal in this realm of metal... he blasts, yet swings in his playing like no one else and the result is just nuts (as you all already know).

The level of chaos-management that this band maintains is jaw-dropping.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 19, 2005 20:58     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ONCEWASNOT
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted October 22, 2005 13:50     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get this album. Now. It is absolutely immense. I've been listening solidly over the past couple of days, and I can honestly say that it's a complete return to form after a low period. Lots of the usual chaotic arrangements and stop-starts, monstrous riffs and some absolutely insane drumming, as one might expect from ol' Flo.

Nice to have Lord Worm grunting and screaming away, as well. His presence changes so much, if only in terms of atmosphere and "oomph". He's not lost his talent for amusing lyrics, either - those on "Keeping the Cadaver Dogs Busy" in particular make me smile.

I am a happy boy! What did other people think?

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted October 23, 2005 14:20     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Adeste Infidelis is the best track.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 31, 2005 11:37     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lyckantropen:
Get this album. Now. It is absolutely immense. I've been listening solidly over the past couple of days, and I can honestly say that it's a complete return to form after a low period. Lots of the usual chaotic arrangements and stop-starts, monstrous riffs and some absolutely insane drumming, as one might expect from ol' Flo.

Nice to have Lord Worm grunting and screaming away, as well. His presence changes so much, if only in terms of atmosphere and "oomph". He's not lost his talent for amusing lyrics, either - those on "Keeping the Cadaver Dogs Busy" in particular make me smile.

I am a happy boy! What did other people think?

This one had been on my list for a while. DL'ed it from a friend and upon hearing track two: 'The Kingdom Where Everything Dies, the Sky is Mortal'(what an awesome title) that I said HOLY MACKEREL!! I haven't said that upon hearing a metal song in like 5 years. I immediately went to Nuclear Blast and ordered it. On sale for Ten, including free shipping!! Are you kidding??? Not gonna listen to these mp3's anymore and ruin my apetite for the real thing coming in the mail.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 09, 2005 23:25     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Flo is the best.

mmmmmm....why yes, he is...

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan